• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March for Redemption

March for Redemption, May 14-30, 2010

Date: May 14-30, 2010
    Name: March for Redemption
    Sponsor/Host: CWPT (Dusty Chapman will be coordinating donations raised and will forward them to CWPT).
    Capacity: Five individuals. Two people are presently signed up- Bill Birney and Joe Bordonaro. If more than three other people sign up, a waiting list will be created in the event that one or more participants have a change of plans.
    POC: Bill Birney
    Email: twbirney@aol.com
    CWPT Info: http://www.civilwar.org
    Forum: AC Forum Subforum
    Listserver: Participant level email list
    Preservation component: Marchers will be soliciting for either 10 cent donations per mile marched, or 25 cents per mile, or 50 cents per mile, or $1 per mile.
    Notes: The participants in this event will be portraying Federal deserters who have deserted their post atop Maryland Heights. The participants will be traveling along the Appalachian Trail to Whisky Spring, Pennsylvania. From there they will follow the Mason/Dixon Trail to Havre de Grace, Maryland. The distance is approximately 150 miles. We will be traveling along public trails and will not be carrying arms so we will not be required to gain permits from authorities. We will arrange stops for water and food along the way. We hope, by carrying out this march, to redeem, in part, the acts of those soldiers who deserted their comrades by raising money for the preservation of the battlefields on which they fought. Hence the name, "March for Redemption".
    Joe Bordonaro

Re: March for Redemption

Just thought I'd finally chime in. Retired like Joe? Only semi-employee like me? Want to do something that's rarely, if ever, done? Then come along with us. Afraid of the cold? Afraid of rain? Afraid of getting your britches dirty? Then stay home and get your tintype struck. Don't have two weeks? I understand that. Think about contributing. We'll find a site that needs the funding and choose an impression pretty soon. We'll be soliciting for donations early next year after things are arranged. Portrayal? Maybe the Fifth Maryland, Co. I. Why? They're 'my' boys. From my own county. This means we'll be crossing the Susquehanna and ending with a bath in the Elk Creek which runs right past our farm. Can you offer any logistical support near the route? Great. Email me. Bill Birney
    William Birney
    Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."
    Thomas "Uncle Tom" Yearby, 20 March 2009

Comment

Will also add... The AT and Mason Dixon Trails are our rough guide. We'll probably leave them from time to time, swerving this way and that across southern PA. Being so small, there's a lot of flexibility about what we do and where we go. Have yet to see a law stating that one can't wear funny clothes in public. Can you only join us for a few days or the first week? That's fine. Just develop a western impression and you can break away whenever you like to 'head west' instead of east with us. If Joe approves the Fifth Maryland idea, find out if there was a western regiment stationed in Harpers Ferry in May of Sixty three. Like I said, a lot of flexibility. The dates, too are relatively flexible. May of next year is about the only thing set in stone. Lastly, if anyone has a barn or woodlot within ten miles of the trails, we would be glad to make a detour to use it for a night. And that's it from me for awhile.
      William Birney
      Columbia Rifles

"The OTB is made up of the dregs of humanity, the malcontents, the bit*#ers and moaners, the truth tellers, the rebellious, etc. In other words, the ones that make good soldiers when the firing starts or the marching gets tough. The $&#*$& is run by parade ground, paper collar soldiers, the ones that pee on themselves when a car backfires and would be better fit for counting beans and puffying up their own egos and kissing each others @$(#*$*..."

Comment

Bill,
        Portraying the Fifth Maryland sounds fine to me.
        -Joey B.
        Friends,
        Dave Wilson of the Chesapeake Valley Guards has signed on for the march. Welcome, Dave! More good news: Jason Wright, of Baltimore, has offered help with logistics. Things are shaping up!
        -Joe Bordonaro
        Units Represented on the March (so far):
        Columbia Rifles
        13th New Jersey
        Chesapeake Volunteer Guards
        Last edited by pvtbordonaro; 10-15-2009, 09:11 PM.
        Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Gents,
          Now that is Hard Core!!!
          Art Stone
          13th N.J.V.
          Co."K"
          " Rally, Boys Rally"
          Last order from Cpt. H.C. Irish at Antietam

Comment

Joe, not that it really matters, but its Chesapeake Volunteer Guards!:)

Regardless, its always a pleasure to march with Iron Joe. You put the rest of us to shame on the Sixth Corps march. 5th MD sounds like a great impression too.

This is something I've wanted to do for a while but never found anyone else to go with. looking forward to it.
            Eric D. Wilson

Comment

Eric,
              Thanks for pointing out the error. Don't want to p**s off the whole CVG :)
              I'll fix it up. And I'm real happy that you'll be on the march. Sound be a memorable time!
              -Joe
              Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Friends,
                Updated list of groups represented on the march (so far):
                Columbia Rifles
                13th New Jersey
                Chesapeake Volunteer Guards
                1st Maryland, US
                -Joe Bordonaro
                Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Friends,
                  Dan Casella of the Chesapeake Volunteer Guards is going on the march. That makes two from the CVG!
                  -Joe
                  Joe Bordonaro

Comment

We're starting to come along. Impression is being researched. A couple of people have signed on as either participants or logistical support. Now, to nail down the preservation aspect. I'd like to concentrate our efforts, if possible, on something pertaining to the Fifth. Basically, four battle sites, and I don't know a thing about three of them. Antietam, Chapman's Farm at Petersburg, Chaffin's Bluff(Sept. 1864), and the Second Battle of Fair Oaks(Oct. 1864). If anyone with their own 'pet' preservation project is interested in setting up any vignettes or picket posts along the way, we could make this interesting. Email me. Don't post here. Surprise is essential to pull it off. Thanks.
                    William Birney
                    Columbia Rifles

Comment

Hi Joe!

Any need for civilians for this?

Take care!
                      Krystin Contant Piston

Comment

Krystin,
                        We were hoping that we could arrange to have a group of authentic civilians inhabit a house from the period somewhere along the way. The ideal situation would be for us to get "caught" stealing a pie from a window ledge. At that point, the civilians who caught us could take pity on us and let us eat the pie and maybe switch out some of our uniform for civilian duds to aid in our attempt to get back home. Sound like it could be fun? - Joe
                        Joe Bordonaro

Comment

There could be some fun first person there! Are you looking for a particular side of Civilians? northern or southern? Just curious as how to react to the troops moving through.

My husband, Matt, and I are stationed at Qauntico, VA until end of May and looking for some events. He was with Anders in the CVG, so I'm sure he would like to do this as Civ or Military.
                          Krystin Contant Piston

Comment

Krystin,
                            We'll be moving through Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Delaware, so depending on where the civilian camp gets set up you could either portray Unionists or Confederate sympathizers. From the deserters perspective it'd be better if you were Confederate sympathizers. There were a lot of them in Western Maryland, some in South-central Pennsylvania, and some in Delaware. Again, from the deserters perspective, Western Mayland or South-central Pennsylvania would be best. The Appalachian Trail runs along not far from Gettysburg, so that might be a place for setting up a living history event that the deserters could particpate in along the way. The event will be in May, so hopefully your husband could participate. He could either be a civilian at the place where the deserters stop by, or, if he wants to go for a hike, he could desert with us, and then leave us when he gets to the civilian living history area. He could fall in love with you there and tell us he's not moving along with us :)
                            - Joe
                            Joe Bordonaro

Comment

Joe,

I have hiked the entire Appalachian trail, and multiple times through this area. Please contact me if I can help in anyway. There are a number of shelters, and a couple of period structures along the trail in both MD and southern PA.

I know where there is good water, and a few good hearted folks in this area.

I would be interested in rollin' along with you boys if I haven't found work yet.

Brent Brumagin
                              Brent Brumagin

Comment

Working...
                              X