Pickett's Mill Living History 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pickett's Mill Living History 2010

Sorry, Herb, got on the soap box. Sorta why I don't come here often anymore. Enjoyed seeing ya'll this past weekend. Freaking Woodrow did the best he has ever done at an event. He's all over Facebook bragging about himself...
    Seems I remember a lot of crying last november
    Pete
    The Autonomous Collective Mess
    Just a private soldier trying to make a difference

Patrick Peterson
    Old wore out Bugler

Comment

Pete, thanks for the sentiment. It'll be a good one. I just finished a phone conversation with Jordan and his Saturday afternoon moving into evening will be very very woth attending. That's all I can say.

Woodrow was on his best behavior at the Sac this past weekend.
      Herb Coats
      Armory Guards &
      WIG

Comment

Not "SOYA" ! Now those are the words I think, I like to hear, if my cipherin' is right. I'm really looking forward to this event, it's an amazing site. There are very few places where living historians, are able to essentially have free reign over such a historic area. It would be a true loss if this place were not available to any of us in the future. A Tennesseean, portraying an Arkansan (sp?), on a summers day in Georgia, count me in !
        Eric N. Harley-Brown
        Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

"A Tennessean, portraying an Arkansan (sp?), on a summers day in Georgia, count me in !"

Yeah we do confuse ourselves at events sometimes. We are a few weeks away from the living history now and Jordan is still accepting registrations. The scorpions, poison ivy, humidity, hills and dales, plus Skunk Ape all await those who wish to stretch their legs a little, visit some parts of the park off the beaten path, and perhaps learn a little about a hard fighting unit from Arkansas.
          Herb Coats
          Armory Guards &
          WIG

Comment

Info that participants should read.... Thanks to Jordan Roberts for heading this up and taking care of the logistics and pre event prep. The Boy Wonder is worth his weight in gold and Dr. Peppers.

Times- The event will start Friday at 10pm and end Sunday around 11am. Plan to stay the whole time. If you will not be arriving till late please contact myself so that we can work you in.

Parking- Parking will be along the service road across from the cabin. As you come into the park the road will be about a ¼ mile down on your right. Parking will be on either side of the road.

Registration- Registration will be at the cabin. Registration is open from 4p till 10pm. All participants are to show up in kit at registration. After a brief authenticity inspection they will be guided down to the Friday night camp.

Water- We will be using the Visitor Center to supply most of our water. There will also be water jugs spread out in the park.

Campsites- We will be moving throughout the park Saturday. Plan on changing camps several times during the weekend. Following historical accuracy there will be no cut wood in camps. Expect to gather dead fall for fires.

Rations- Rations will be cooked by a commissary and issued to the companies. Rations will be historically accurate to the time period.

Marching- We will be moving throughout the park. The terrain is hilly and in same places thick with underbrush. I will be hot. Please condition yourself accordingly.

I can almost guarantee that it will be hot, humid, and it might rain on us with a sporadic shower. All that Jordan and I ask is that you come with the correct kit, a good attitude and do the job of a soldier from 1864.

Thanks all.

~Herb
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

Good deal.
              Robert Melville

We as Americans finish what we start. And dying for these Colors, or our brothers around us is no different. We will always remember the ones that have passed before us. Even though their bodies are committed to the depths their spirits live with in us and helps push for tomorrow

Comment

Also....

Participants bring 40 rounds and 50 caps. I can't believe I forgot to add that. Thanks Pete B for reminding me.
                Herb Coats
                Armory Guards &
                WIG

Comment

Everyone have safe travels to the site, and God's speed see you all in the field.
                  Robert Melville

We as Americans finish what we start. And dying for these Colors, or our brothers around us is no different. We will always remember the ones that have passed before us. Even though their bodies are committed to the depths their spirits live with in us and helps push for tomorrow

Comment

I wish I could make it...but alas we are painting our Lodge this weekend. See y'all next weekend.
                    Galen Wagner
                    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Well this weekend was a great one. Hot, chigger ridden, breast work building, moving around a
                      lot, hot picket post, Federal troops coming out of no where, and the best friends in the hobby all make for a perfect weekend. Had quit a few new guys out there, well new to this side of the hobby, and they liked it. The word is spreading that it is a good thing to be progressive. Thanks to all who was on the event staff.
                      Robert Melville

Comment

Chiggers at Picketts Mill ?!! I would have thought the scorpions would have eaten them all :)
                        John Duffer
                        Independence Mess
                        MOOCOWS
                        WIG
                        "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Actually I didn't see a scorpion this weekend, however ticks on the other hand. But all in all a great weekend.
                          Robert Melville

Comment

Had a great time this weekend. Learned a lot, had a great time with friends, and got eaten up with chiggers.

Thanks Jordan and the rest for all your hard work, it certainly was worth it.

Pards,
                            Andrew Schultz

Possum Skinners Mess

Buzzards Mess

Comment

I also had a great time this weekend. I had several great "moments" and I thoroughly enjoyed myself despite the heat, and being tore up from the floor up by chiggers. Jordan, you did an awesome job.
                              Last edited by Brandon; 06-07-2010, 05:26 PM. Reason: forgot a word.
                              -Brandon Hand
                              48th NY Co. F
                              Unit Clerk/Newsletter Editor

Comment

Assaulting the Federal positions @ 10:00pm was awesome!! Hitting their position with the rebel yell was one of those moments for me, as was Cornbreads "Lord help us!!" when we had Federals firing back at us.
                                Last edited by Yellowhammer Rebel; 06-07-2010, 08:51 AM.
                                Andrew Schultz

Possum Skinners Mess

Buzzards Mess

Comment

Working...
                                X