Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincoln Campaign Rally Photo

Ladies and Gents,
    I've been talking with Dave Wachtveitl, who is a Park Ranger at the Lincoln Home in Springfield, who coordinated our living history this past Spring. He has informed me that the Superintendant there would like to recreate a Lincoln Campaign rally photo on the steps of the Lincoln home using a period photographer and such. They need approximately 200 well dressed civilians for the photo. It would be done on either August 28th or 29th. I apologize for the short notice however, I just got this my self.It would be great if we could make this thing work, so we would appreciate all the help. I'll try and coordinate with them for anything that may be needed.
    Aaron Rowland
    Prodigal Son ~ Corn Fed Comrade
    Petersburg National Battlefield

"It was the saddest affair I have witnessed in war." ~ U.S. Grant, Battle of the Crater

Re: Lincoln Campaign Rally Photo

Aaron,

Count me and my wife-to-be in...I may be able to drag along a couple more blokes.

JER
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

Sounds great Justin. Now hopefully we can get several more as well.
      Aaron Rowland

"It was the saddest affair I have witnessed in war." ~ U.S. Grant, Battle of the Crater

Comment

I volunteered at Lincoln's Home yesterday and the rangers talked about this event quite a bit. Apparently they want to recreate the 8/8/1860 photo of Lincoln, his family, the home and numerous bystanders. I think, I haven't looked it up yet, this is right after he accepted the Republican nomination for president. What the NPS wants is 200 civilian men, women, children on 8/28/10 at 10 a.m. to take this photograph. If you are interested email me at: truyle2305@hotmail.com or NPS Ranger Dave Wachtveitl at: david_wachtveitl@nps.gov. I'll try to pass along more information as it becomes available.
        Tim Ruyle

Comment

Tim, keep me in the loop if you would please. I'd like to help out if at all possible.
          Aaron Rowland

Comment

Aaron,
            That would be great. I'll be down there again Wednesday so maybe more details will be available and I'll get a chance to meet the new superintendent. Apparently he is very open to working with us to promote living history there and the photo idea originated with him.
            Tim Ruyle

Comment

I was wondering if there are any other festivities planned for that day. I would like to be in the picture, but with a 3 hour drive from Chicago I want to be sure that it is worth the hike. Then again, touring the Lincoln sites in period dress could be pretty fun.

Thanks,
              Nanci Gasiel
              Nanci Gasiel

Comment

I agree. I know the NPS will at least offer a tur of the home and the neighborhood for all who participate. I work there Sunday so maybe more information will be avqailable. I also plan on posting the photo the Lincoln's Home staff wants to copy thanks to Eric Fair, archivist extraordinaire.
                Tim Ruyle

Comment

Thank you everyone for looking into supporting this. I would love to see this site come to life and help it become a place people can come and "live" the period any time they would like. See you all on the 28th! Ranger Wachtveitl
                  [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="5"]David Wachtveitl[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Sangamo Grave Robbers Mess / 114th Illinois Volunteer Infantry[/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Here I have lived..." A. Lincoln[/FONT]

Comment

Folks,
                    Just for a reference here is the original image of the Republican campaign parade, taken by William Shaw in front of the Lincoln residence, dated August 8, 1860.

A larger version can be seen here: http://www.alplm.org/blog/wp-content...log1photo1.jpg

Additionally, here's the Lincoln Home National Historic Site's brochure on the Election of 1860, which features the image:

http://www.nps.gov/liho/planyourvisi...and%20Back.pdf
                    Eric Fair

"A word in earnest is as good as a speech." Charles Dickens - [I]Bleak House[/I]

Comment

Thank You Mr.Fair lovely photo. I do wish we could join you all for the second taking but we have plans in the great north woods.
                      [FONT="Times New Roman"][/FONT]
                      Charlene Staples
                      Delavan, WI

Citizens of The Old NorthWest
                      Boonesfield Village
                      Lost Tribes
                      Bummers

Comment

Justin,

I think when you go you should be this fella: Screams you!
                        Attached Files
                        [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
                        [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

When is this taking place again ??
                          Rod Miller
                          [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
                          [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
                          A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
                          1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
                          1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
                          1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
                          1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
                          Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
                          1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
                          Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

Rod,
                            You might email or PM Tim Ruyle, but I believe it is taking place this Saturday at 10:30.
                            Eric Fair

"A word in earnest is as good as a speech." Charles Dickens - [I]Bleak House[/I]

Comment

Just an update for anyone following this thread. I still dont know how many reenactors I will have here this day, but it seems as though we will have a pretty good showing. I have received calls or messages from all over the country, Illinois, Indiana, even North Carolina. I have not been able to as of right not get anyone to provide a wagon for the ladies seen in the foreground, but I do have a beardless Lincoln and lots of good folks coming. If anyone would like to make the Kansas "Wont you let me in" sign seen in the foreground please feel free to bring it, as well as any umbrellas you might have (not them scattered in the photo). Also if you or anyone in you mess plays instruments and would like to bring them, please feel free to bring them to play in the lot across the street from the home where we will be gathering while you wait.

Thank you all for your interest. I hope Lincoln Home can offer you a great opportunity to kick off this Civil War commemoration period.

DW
                              [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="5"]David Wachtveitl[/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]Sangamo Grave Robbers Mess / 114th Illinois Volunteer Infantry[/FONT]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Here I have lived..." A. Lincoln[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X