Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: March 2010- LBL Event

Brian, ALL,
    I am looking forward to this event and am here to support in anyway. I know as a comapny commander at the last event on the Blue Side I had a great experience. This event was a fast paced one, and I encourage all to challenge yourself by perparing to attend this event. The terrain is rolling and covered with folage to make the marching limited except to just fire roads.

Has there been talk of time line / units / mpression?

I look forward to serving with the men in blue for this one..

skip
    [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
    [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Brian
      Put me down for this one.
      Jim "Doc" Bruce
      War means fightn and fightn means killn.
      L 'audace, l 'audace, Toujours l 'audace.
      Every man must know his limitations.

Comment

Sir,
        I am interested and I think I am free those dates. Do you need a wagon and four oxen?
        Gery Barker
        Wagoner

Comment

Originally posted by Gery Barker View Post
          Sir,
          I am interested and I think I am free those dates. Do you need a wagon and four oxen?
          Gery Barker
          Wagoner
          Double post.
          Brian Hicks
          Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Originally posted by Gery Barker View Post
            Sir,
            Gery Barker
            Wagoner
            Gery,

Unfortunately, the majority of the areas we are planning on using are trafficable only by foot. The terrain features, and the nature of the trails are too restrictive, even for your narrow Wagon and the four Kings whom you have to pull it. If the terrain were to permit, it would be a great addition to the event to have you participate. I know it would be good for you, especially since it so much closer to your home than the Piney woods were.
            Brian Hicks
            Widows' Sons Mess

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Fair enough, but if you think you've got a use, tell me. - GB

Comment

The Event at the LBL site, March 12-14, 2010 now has an official website:

http://www.intextlighting.com/Backwa...5/Welcome.html
                Brian Hicks
                Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

Good looking website. Sounds like an interesting event. You can count on support from the WIG.
                  [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                  [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                  [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Brian,
                    You can surely count me in.
                    Dandy website.
                    See you soon!
                    Greg S Barnett
                    Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
                    ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

The land is great and the lads putting this on are fine guys. Brian Hicks and Skip Owens are men of honor.

I look forward to this one.

Regards,
                      Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

I hope the event works out well. Looking forward to the next historical LBR event in the LBL. The Battle of Dover or some bushwhacking (or both) would be nice.
                        Fergus Bell

"Give a man fire & he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life."
                        Terry Pratchett

Comment

I think that the website and information are very well put together, however I had a question about the federal uniform guidelines for the event. The jackets that are recommended are the fatigue blouse and the (Indiana?) type state jackets. I was wondering what type of documentation there was to suggest these men were wearing their state jackets as late as March 65 in the Carolina battles?

Don't get me wrong, I will be there and we'll take as many with us as we can. This event is very local for us and we are familiar with the land. However, I couldn't understand seeing a bunch of guys show up in state jackets with epaulettes this late in the war coming from a campaign which made some federal units threadbare. I only asked in case the guidelines were copied from a previous event and this wasn't noticed.

Oh and I was also curious if there was documentation for the 63rd Indiana Regt. having '61 springfields exclusively at this time?

Thanks,
                          Last edited by prestontoprail; 04-20-2009, 03:34 AM.
                          Preston Todd
                          Hard Case Boys
                          Top Rail Mess

Comment

Documentation on some specifics of this Indiana Regt. have been sparse so far (as far what we have been able to find with our limited resources). On some issues, we are working to be more inclusive than exclusive on the Impression Guidelines.
                            Brian Hicks
                            Widows' Sons Mess

Comment

I will definitely support you on this one Brian and propose it for the TBM schedule, I will see how many SC people I can rally up for this.
                              Gregory Deese
                              Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
                              "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

Looks to be a great event and close to home! Here is a tid-bit of info for the 63rd Indiana, found at this link http://civilwarindiana.com/reg_history_inf0.html

63rd REGIMENT INFANTRY.

Organized at Lafayette, Ind., as a Battalion of 4 Companies, "A," "B," "C," "D," February 21, 1862. Duty as prison guard at Lafayette and at Camp Morton, Indianapolis, Ind., till May. Left State for Washington, D.C., May 27. Attached to Piatt's Brigade, Sturgis' Command, Defences of Washington, to August, 1862. Piatt's Brigade, Army of the Potomac, to October, 1862.

SERVICE.--Duty in the defences of Washington, D. C., till August, 1862. Pope's Campaign in Northern Virginia August 16-September 2. Ordered to Indianapolis, Ind., October 3. Completing organization of Regiment and prison guard at Camp Morton and Indianapolis till December 25, 1862. Ordered to Shepherdsville, Ky., December 25, and guard duty along Louisville & Nashville Railroad till January 16, 1864. Operations against Morgan July 2, 1863. Cummings Ferry July 8. Attached to Railroad Guard, District of Western Kentucky, Dept. of Ohio, to June, 1863. Unattached, 2nd Division, 23rd Army Corps, Dept. of the Ohio, to August, 1863. New Haven, Ky., 1st Division, 23rd Army Corps, to October, 1863. District South Central Kentucky, 1st Division, 23rd Army Corps, to January, 1864. District Southwest Kentucky, 1st Division, 23rd Army Corps, to April, 1864. 2nd Brigade, 3rd Division, 23rd Army Corps, to August, 1864. 3rd Brigade, 3rd Division, 23rd Army Corps, Army of the Ohio, to February, 1865, and Dept. of North Carolina to June, 1865.

SERVICE.--At Camp Nelson, Ky., January 16 to February 25, 1864. March over mountains to Knoxville, Tenn., February 25-March 15; thence moved to Mossy Creek and to Bull's Gap April 1. Expedition toward Jonesboro and destruction of Tennessee & Virginia Railroad April 23-28. Atlanta (Ga.) Campaign May 1 to September 8. Demonstrations on Rocky Faced Ridge and Dalton May 8-13. Battle of Resaca May 14-15, Cartersville May 20. Operations on line of Pumpkin Vine Creek and battles about Dallas, New Hope Church and Allatoona Hills May 25-June 5. Operations about Marietta and against Kenesaw Mountain June 10-July 2. Lost Mountain June 15-17. Muddy Creek June 17. Noyes Creek June 19. Cheyney's Farm June 22. Olley's Farm June 26-27. Assault on Kenesaw June 27. Nickajack Creek July 2-5. Ruff's Mills July 3-4. Chattahoochie River July 5-17. Isham's Ford July 8. Siege of Atlanta July 22-August 25. Utoy Creek August 5-7. Flank movement on Jonesboro August 25-30. Battle of Jonesboro August 31-September 1. Lovejoy Station September 2-6. Pursuit of Hood into Alabama October 3-26. Nashville Campaign November-December. Columbia, Duck River, November 24-27. Columbia Ford November 29. Battle of Franklin November 30. Battle of Nashville December 15-16. Pursuit of Hood to the Tennessee River December 17-28. At Clifton, Tenn., till January 16, 1865. Movement to Washington, D.C., thence to Fort Fisher, N. C., January 16-February 9. Operations against Hoke February 12-14. Fort Anderson February 18-19. Town Creek February 19-20. Capture of Wilmington February 22. Campaign of the Carolinas March 1-April 26. Advance on Goldsboro March 6-21. Occupation of Goldsboro March 24. Gulley's March 31. Advance on Raleigh April 10-14. Occupation of Raleigh April 14. Bennett's House April 26. Surrender of Johnston and his army. At Raleigh till May 5. At Greensboro till June 21. Companies "A," "B," "C" and "D" mustered out May 3, 1865. Regiment mustered out June 21, 1865. <dy_1143>

Regiment lost during service 3 Officers and 53 Enlisted men killed and mortally wounded and 2 Officers and 130 Enlisted men by disease. Total 188.

There were also a few images as well found here.. http://www.civilwarindiana.com/soldiers/reg063.htm

Respectfully
                                Kaelin R. Vernon
                                SOUTH UNION GUARD

"Do small things with great love" -Mother Teresa

" Put your hands to work and your hearts to God" -Mother Ann Lee

Comment

Working...
                                X