BACKWATERS AARs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BACKWATERS AARs

Great event a test of mental and physical strength, Loved every moment of it........

Missing 1. Black pre-tied Cravat.
    Thought I rolled it up in my blanket in the early morning hours... but to no avail to be found.
    If anyone has picked it up please let me know or it could still be in the federal fort down by the bottom end ?
    [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][SIZE="5"]Jasper Massey.
    [FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="3"]Christopher Irelan.
    CFC.[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by PlainOlSmitty
      Here is Company H after coming out on Sunday.

Sam Harrelson
      That is a great pic Sam!
      Galen Wagner
      Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Mr. McBride,

Thank you for taking notice of the amount of effort those of us in Co. H, 57th GA made to not only look right, but to do it right, too. The condition of my feet today is nothing that a little Betadine 3 times a day won't fix. ;-)
        Nic Clark
        2017 - 24 years in the hobby
        Proud co-founder of the Butcherknife Roughnecks

Comment

I had a great time and Mr. Hicks was not joking when he said that this event would challenge us it did. I led Company D of the 57th GA for the weekend. Due to family reasons and real life we only had half of those registered show up and I ended up being promoted the day before the event as our original CO could not make it so I did the best that I could and went with it. My feet like Mr. Comers above were bloody and swollen so I too stayed home from work today not able to wear shoes. That being said, would I do it again yes (I have that disease that makes me want to put myself in miserable situations over and over again like most of us) Did I and my company have a good time yes we did. I have never straggled before at an event but after 4 miles on the way back on Sunday the skin on my heels was gone so I couldn't keep up and thus experienced what it was like to straggle and keep looking over your shoulder to make sure the Feds weren't going to capture me, and I made it out on my own which makes me feel better about falling out and leaving what was left of my company. Picket duty on Saturday night was quite an experience as well because it was so dark and cloudy we had a hard time seeing each other let alone keeping an eye out for the enemy. I really enjoyed the terrain and the camaraderie of this whole event and besides a few tired complaints I don't know anyone who didn't have a good time. I would Also like to compliment the boys of Co. H 57th GA pictured above yall by far in my opinion were the best looking group of late were rebs I have ever seen and hope to see yall at events in the future. Overall this event is one I won't forget and Thanks to all who put it together.
          Russ Dykes
          Keith Stone Guard

6th Mississippi Adjunct 150th Shiloh
          Maryland My Maryland 150th Sharpsburg
          150th Chickamauga Kershaws Brigade
          150th Wilderness and Spotsylvania Courthouse

"Splash" ......Mark Taylor

Comment

Somebody needs to enter that 57th GA photo in next month's photo contest. Take that photo and compare it to the various real deal CS prisoner photos, east and west. Its right in every detail...including girth of the subjects. Wow - well done.
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
              Somebody needs to enter that 57th GA photo in next month's photo contest. Take that photo and compare it to the various real deal CS prisoner photos, east and west. Its right in every detail...including girth of the subjects. Wow - well done.
              What Doug said!! That is one of the best, if not THE best CS group image I have ever seen...there really should be no contest for next month's cover photo.

Tom Craig
              Tom Craig

Comment

Missing: A groundcloth that is green plaid on one side and black on the other was lost at some point during the foray on the federal works.

PM or email at robinslmusgrove@gmail.com if you find it.

Thanks
                Lewis M Robinson Jr
                Armory Guards
                Snake Nation Disciples

"They were the dirtiest men I ever saw. A most ragged lean and hungry set of wolves. Yet there was a dash about them that the northern men lacked." Maryland Resident upon seeing the Confederate Army

Comment

Overall, the event was very realistic. It was cold, wet, long marches, commands and commanders many felt were stupid, in short we were miserable. Our company's consensus was that the fires of hell would've been a welcome relief to the cold, rain, and pitch dark nights. It gave one a new appreciation for what the original cast went through.

Unfortunately, I could not make the march Sunday, as my right knee was roughly the size and shape of a grapefruit. It did allow me to have some interesting first person with the Feds when they came through.
                  John Spain
                  4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
                  "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

Incredible experience! Top notch leadership, fantastic pards on the line, and ferocious enemies. I could truly feel the desperation of our southern brethren as they attacked the barricades. Maybe looking for food, but mostly just worn out but still mad as hell. The mud on the march was an added bonus. I kept asking myself how long it would take for the pain to just numb my senses and how many weeks of marching it would take to truly toughen up my feet. This event was the first that gave me a true sense of what our brothers went through 145 years ago. I look forward to the next one.
                    Pvt. Bill Wimsatt
                    Colorado

Comment

Rations.

Issued to cover 30 hours of event time (Saturday Morning to Sunday at noon)

This is what we planned on, and issued in the sufficient quantities to satisfy the number based on registration.

Federals

6 Officers
                      69 Enlisted

Confederates:
                      14 Officers
                      113 Enlisted

Independent Scouts/Partisans
                      18 Enlisted

For the Confederates Enlisted:

8-ounce Portion of Slab Bacon per man
                      5.5 ounces of Cornmeal per man
                      2 ounces of unbleached flour per man (the cornmeal and flour was premixed)
                      4 ounces of parched corn per man
                      7 ounces of peanuts per man
                      4 ounces of Chicory per man

For the Confederate Officers

14 ounces of Smoked Pork Loin per man
                      5 ounces of Cheese per man
                      5 ounces of Coffee beans per man
                      3 ounces of unrefined raw sugar per man
                      1 and half - 3 ounce loaves of soft bread per man

For the Federal Enlisted men
                      8-ounce Portion of Slab Bacon per man
                      1 ounce of unrefined raw sugar per man
                      1 and half - 3 ounce loaves of soft bread per man

For the Federal Officers

14 ounces of Smoked Pork Loin per man
                      3 ounces of unrefined raw sugar per man
                      2 x 3 ounce loaves of soft bread per man

For the Independent Scouts/Partians
                      10 lbs of Hungarian Chebais (Sausages) -closest thing I've ever found to what I understand as period preserved sausages
                      2 lbs of Cheese
                      3 lbs of sweet potatoes
                      3 lbs or red potatoes
                      2 onions
                      1x clove of garlic
                      2x loaves of 3 oz fresh bread per man
                      4 lbs of Salt Pork
                      10 ounces of Coffee
                      3 ounces of unrefined raw sugar
                      Last edited by BrianHicks; 03-15-2010, 07:07 PM.
                      Brian Hicks
                      Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Had the Yadkin Independent Scouts been in the area, they would certainly have appreciated the bountiful rations. Also, they would have appreciated the abundant supply of firewood gathered by the rebs before the rebs changed positions. At least the ones that would have been lounging around boiling coffee safetly behind the reb lines. I could not have spoken for the ones behind the yanks lines had they been present. But, as I stated else where, we were on a benevolent mission to East Tennessee and no where near the Backwater area.
                        Tom Yearby
                        Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Originally posted by PlainOlSmitty
                          Here is Company H after coming out on Sunday.

Sam Harrelson
                          THAT is a GREAT image! Thanks for sharing!
                          PATRICK CRADDOCK
                          Prometheus No. 851
                          Franklin, Tennessee
                          Widows' Sons Mess
                          www.craftsmansapron.com

Aut Bibat Aut Abeat

Can't fix stupid... Johnny Lloyd

Comment

From the three of us who made the drive out from Utah...

We all agreed that the 26 hours spent there and the 26 hours spent back was well worth it and we loved it! For two of us, this was our first campaigner event and we chose wisely.

Thanks to Mr. Hicks and all those behind the scenes and to our chain of command in Co. C for an excellent event.
                            Kenny Pavia
                            24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

I second what Kenny said, I'm just now unloading my gear and cleaning myself up. It was one long drive, but so worth it! Thanks to everyone in company C, it was a good time. Special thanks to Will Eichler, Skip Owens, and a sergeant (don't remember which, I was kind of tired) for keeping me in the fight on Saturday night with that blessed lemon powder! Great leadership, from the corporals up to the battalion commander. Thanks again for everyone that contributed.
                              Brian Mott

Iron Rooster Mess

Backwaters 2010 Mud March

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

This was without a doubt the toughest event I've ever done, and I've done a few tough events. This event was the opposite extreme from Vicksburg: Life on the Line in 2007 with 109 degree temperatures and 100% humidity that had previously been my toughest event.

I was cold and wet through most of the event and only slept a few hours. The mud was horrendous and made every step twice as hard. My feet are tore up, but I still made it in to work on Monday. My students were all asking me why I was hobbling around the classroom. When I explained it to them, they just couldn't understand why I would put myself through that!

For me, this was the most realistic event I've ever done. It felt more like being back in the regular Army again than I have ever felt before. I was legitimately scared when the Johnny wave came rolling toward us during the second attack on Saturday. I quickly realized that I didn't have my haversack and blanket roll and didn't want to be captured without them. Fortunately our musketry stopped the onslaught before they could gobble me up.

The Federal companies worked very well together. We had excellent leadership and comradeship. The negative things that happened were the same type of things that happened to me when I was in the regular Army--and most couldn't be avoided. The men complained (as all soldiers do and with good reason) but we adapted and overcame. And my file partner had a Spencer repeater that made me feel real safe. Yes Jim, I only liked you for your repeater! :D

I would like to say a big thank you to all those who worked so hard to put on Backwaters 1865. The amount of effort, planning, and care that you all put into the event was obvious and made it more enjoyable for all who participated. Even though I was miserable and in pain I would do this event again in a heartbeat.

Scott Gutzke
                                Lately, Corporal, 2nd Squad, 1st Platoon, Company B, 63rd Indiana
                                J. Thomas Atkinson

portrayed by Scott Gutzke
                                [URL="http://www.sipleymess.org/"]Ol' Sipley Mess[/URL]
                                [URL="http://www.oldnorthwestvols.org/"]ONV[/URL]
                                [URL="http://www.risingsun115.com/"]Rising Sun Lodge #115, AF&AM of IL[/URL]
                                [URL="http://www.waukeshalodge.org/"]Waukesha Lodge #37, F&AM of WI[/URL]
                                [URL="http://armisteadbinghamlodge1862.blogspot.com/"]PM, Armistead-Bingham Lodge of Civil War Research #1862, F&AM of WI[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                                X