WIG & SCAR Outpost Style Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WIG & SCAR Outpost Style Event

Among my favorite events was the first Outpost in '99. I think much of that had to do with the scale of the event-it wasn't too large-at least compared to the second Outpost held the following year and Outpost III. (Not that the latter two were bad.)
    Last edited by Matthew.Rector; 08-24-2009, 02:42 PM.
    Matthew Rector

Comment

Casey,
      None of our events have impossible guidelines to meet. They are normally pretty simple western theater impressions.This was true for Pickett's Mill (all three times), Chickamauga (Twice), Return to the Ranks, and Prelude to Chickamauga. This years Bummers event has very easy guidelines to achieve on either side. Our Outpost event will be no different. Trust me it is not the guidelines that drives folks away. It is the fact that many mainstream oriented guys just don't like to sleep on the ground and eat period rations for an entire weekend. They perfer more creature comforts. That is why this is a hobby.
      [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
      [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
      [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by OldKingCrow View Post
        Do more NMP events !!!!! They provide the best spectator opptys.....The Bummers type event is grest but it isnt geared for those who enjoy watching a historically accurate event.
        Your sentiment is well placed, but based on the poor support of the Stones River National Battlefield event last October, and the severe lack of enthusiasm for the planned Shiloh event this past April (yes... the one that was canceled due a noticeable lack of voiced interest by any moderate number of potential participants), I don't know that we'll see a surge in events at the Parks anytime soon.

Many of the events on the horizon don't appear to be planned for those who enjoy watching a historically accurate event, but are most focused for those who enjoy participating in historically accurate events without the distractions and artificialities of scheduled public demonstrations.
        Brian Hicks
        Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Originally posted by Jim of The SRR View Post
          Okay, we have a date set. The event is being planned for Sept 10-12, 2010. The Scenerio is the period between Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge. The Confederate side would portray Cleburnes men on the right end of the Confederate line. Federal portryal has not been determined yet. More details to come soon.

Regards,
          Jim Butler

Very much looking forward to this one! It's kind of cool because because I've got a straight across view,from my back deck, of the Confederate far right end of their line on Missionary Ridge. Where Cleburne held off Sherman. Does this mean yet another resurgance of the 10th Texas on the CS side?
          Eric N. Harley-Brown
          Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

For the time period represented for Outpost, Cleburne's Division would have been posted from the right Orchard Knob to left near Chattanooga Creek. It was after Cleburne was pulled off this line to be sent to Knoxville that the Federals took Orchard Knob.
            In front of the Texas Brigade on this line, was the area known as the "Half Acre" where all sorts of gambling and trade took place. Cleburne's Division would still have been in Hill's / Breckenridge's Corps for September, October and most of November.
            This event has a lot of potential for an exceptional experience of what it was like during the seige of Chattanooga.

Thanks,

James Wooten

Comment

Originally posted by James the Haggard Ranger View Post
              In front of the Texas Brigade on this line, was the area known as the "Half Acre" where all sorts of gambling and trade took place. Cleburne's Division would still have been in Hill's / Breckenridge's Corps for September, October and most of November.
              This event has a lot of potential for an exceptional experience of what it was like during the seige of Chattanooga.

Thanks,

James Wooten

I agree ! Once again, as per previous conversations, it would be interesting to re-create some of the Half Acre. There probably haven't been too many events with interaction between the two sides like that.
              Eric N. Harley-Brown
              Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Gents:

Have you selected a company, or companies, of the 45th Alabama for the Confederates to portray at Outpost? It's never too early for us interested in researching our impression and preparing for the scenario to select our reading list.

Dave
                First event with Cleburne's Command-1975
                Two ancestors in Cleburne's Original Brigade at Shiloh
                David Stieghan
                aka, DBAR1918

US Army Infantry Branch Historian,
                Fort Benning, Georgia

Former Regular Army Field Artillery Caption, Disabled
                Costumed Interpreter since 1973

Comment

I really liked Outpost III, count me in for this one! :D
                  [B]Derrick Pugh

Western Independent Grays
                  S.C.A.R.[/B]

"Yaller-hammer, Alabama, flicker, flicker, flicker,"
                  I felt sorry for the yellow-hammer Alabamians,
                  they looked so hacked, and answered back
                  never a word." ~Sam Watkins

Comment

Originally posted by Mtn.Guerilla View Post
                    I agree ! Once again, as per previous conversations, it would be interesting to re-create some of the Half Acre. There probably haven't been too many events with interaction between the two sides like that.
                    That would definitely be a great experience!
                    Chris R. Henderson

Big'uns Mess/Black Hat Boys
                    WIG/GVB
                    In Memory of Wm. Davis Couch, Phillips Legion Cav. from Hall Co. GEORGIA

It's a trick, Gen. Sherman!...there's TWO of 'em! ~Lewis Grizzard

"Learning to fish for your own information will take you a lot further than merely asking people to feed you the info you want." ~Troy Groves:D

Comment

Derrick,
                      Do you want me to make a reservation for you in Captain Landrum's foot cavalry again?
                      Patrick Landrum
                      Independent Rifles

Comment

Pat,

It was an honor to serve under you at Outpost, and would be an honor to, once again.
                        [B]Derrick Pugh

Western Independent Grays
                        S.C.A.R.[/B]

"Yaller-hammer, Alabama, flicker, flicker, flicker,"
                        I felt sorry for the yellow-hammer Alabamians,
                        they looked so hacked, and answered back
                        never a word." ~Sam Watkins

Comment

Originally posted by cavman63 View Post
                          "Hey Tripp, what about mounted troops? dont forget us. And remember we play well with others. "
                          Guy M. Musgrove
                          Critters

Yeah what he said.
                          Hear Hear! I can't imagine doing anything authentic without men on horses. Outpost III was greatly enhanced by the cav.
                          Soli Deo Gloria
                          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Actually, the cav could wear blue and do "both" as there are reports in the ORs of Wheeler's cavalry pickets in the mtns around Chattanooga that winter wearing Federal uniforms. THAT could make for some interesting scenarios!
                            Mike Ventura
                            Shannon's Scouts

Comment

We are exploring the possiblity of having Cav at the event. Trust me as someone that rode with the Critters for a year or two, I value good mounted troopers.
                              [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
                              [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
                              [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

I think we could bring a trailer load of horses from Middle TN and Kentucky area if it was to open for us .
                                Jerry Ross
                                Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
                                Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

Working...
                                X