In the Van: Trailing Kirby Smith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: In the Van: Trailing Kirby Smith

[QUOTE=majdoc;154520]Gary I dont know how old you are. But I'll be there and some people think I'm older than dirt.
    QUOTE]

I'm past retirement age. If this was 1862 my war would have been the War of 1812. But, I'll still out walk most younguns. Twenty-two years in Infantry MOS's, after the first few thousand miles you get used to it.

Comment

I'll be following this. I'd like to do this one but I don't think any of my pards will be able to make it. If my first tier 1 event goes well I'll sure make this one a priority.

-Danny Mesena
      -Co.I

Comment

Sure am hoping to be able to portray Vaughn's 3rd TN CSA at this one. I assume that will be an option? Here's a quick snippet I found on this regiment in Dan Leadbetter's Brigade *
        Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
        Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
        ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
        ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
        ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
        ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
        ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Jon,

The event list-serve is located here:

In The Van is a highly focused event dealing with the movement of wagons. The guiding impression is that of the 57th Georgia and infantry positions are available for those meeting the listed standards.

Experienced horsemen may find that they wish to broaden their period skills by taking advantage of pre-event training opportunities in driving a team. We are also recruiting assistant drivers and swampers for the wagons. The opportunity to work with horses, mules, and oxen are available to those with the right skills.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

According to the book about the 57th Georgia, it brigaded with the 56th and 59th Georgia plus Waddell's Alabama Artillery. These units constituted the First Brigade under Gen. Leadbetter. His was one of four brigades constituting the Second Division under Harry Heth. See, Scott Walker, "Hell in Georgia : Survival in a Civil War Regiment" at page 32.
            Silas Tackitt,
            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

With TWO portrayals of the 57th GA this year.. Perhaps this constitutes an enlist/reenlist backstory and corresponding true to history first-person opportunity. I MUST get this book and others to do enough planning.

Thanks to everyone for the info.
              Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
              Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
              ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
              ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
              ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
              ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
              ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

I believe Jon just earned a prize.

A number of folks have become fond of the men of the 57th. They are Uncommon, Common Men--the ubiquitious Southern yeoman farmer, the man with a crop to make and a family to feed and clothe. If he's got more than some, his house is a two room dogtrot. The draft animal that pulls his plow is the one he rides to town. He's got a set of working clothes and a set of Sunday clothes--and he knows what Sunday is for.

Observant fellers will figure out that a good farming class civilian kit will be the ticket to a number of 2010 venues. Judicious choices now can enable a man to wear the same basic kit to In The Van and to Struggles of Secession.

And if certain plans continue to progress, the same civilian clothes can see good use in 2011.
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spinster View Post
                  Observant fellers will figure out that a good farming class civilian kit will be the ticket to a number of 2010 venues. ...... And if certain plans continue to progress, the same civilian clothes can see good use in 2011.
                  Well, said, Mrs. Lawson

Most all the "Boys of '61" tendered their service in civilian attire, and didn't get issued their new uniforms for some time after that.

Jim Moffet

Comment

I like come, but it is the holidays period with my wife and my children.
                    I don't see leave them one week in the USA Without me :(
                    It is sad because there will be many of my friends... It is the life, we cannot always be there... See you ;)
                    William Miconnet
                    French Mess
                    AES
                    BGR & IPW Survivor
                    Never ever give up!
                    In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
                    I believe!

Comment

My dad lives in Crossville, TN. I am in.
                      Thomas J. Alleman
                      "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Joe Johnson & myself will follow Rob Murray anywhere. We are in
                        Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Comment

Bob,

That vote of confidence is appreciated. Long before folks did publicity through the internet, the First Minnesota did some very innovative research and depiction in living history, and Rob Murray is a long time contributor to that leadership.

Right now, we have our heads down, deep in the infrastructure required for this event. In addition to the upcoming assistant wagoners training, other wheels are in motion. Contracts have been let for crops, folks are manufacturing items for the military loads, and some unusual arrangements are underway for food supplies, with some unique learning opportunities attached.

Shortly, wagons and teams will be loaded into trailers to move across hundreds of miles, loaned for months ahead in preparation for this event. One cannot pick the reins to an unfamilar team and turn the key like a rental car-instead the driver has to work with that team and that wagon well in advance. The generosity of those who are providing the rolling stock for this event is gratifying and amazing. Then there was the observant generous man who pressed a check into my hand last weekend, knowing that we have substantial expenses now, even though I'm not quite ready to open registration, as I want all required paperwork fully prepared to be signed in one swoop.

Folks are accustomed to organizers having a lot to say about an event. We don't. The event concept speaks for itself. Those participating will have to prepare themselves well in advance.

The listserve is here:
                          Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X