Hurry Up Boys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurry Up Boys

If you haven't registered you've got about a week. There's room for more soldiers as I understand and the more the merrier.

There was a lot of talk after BGR and ITPW about how it was great to do an extended event and get the feel for campaigning. And, it certainly was. Well, here's your chance to do a week long event. I don't think we'll get much closer to the feel for a CW foot soldier's campaign than an event of this type. If you've been sitting the fence or dawdling around thinking there's time to take care of this, time has just about run out so get your registration in. I look forward to serving with all. Hey , if this old guy can do it, you young pups sure can!
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Re: Hurry Up Boys

There is no list published, but I've got the sinking suspicion that except for one 18 year old young man in the military company, I may be the next youngest member at 39.

In all seriousness, this event has a focus on the wagon train and that is something that has not been done on this scale ever before in my knowledge. The Military Company will have the opportunity to participate in that and glimpse into the life of a soldier with the hard work and long hours on the march. I've already registered and am looking forward to this.

To bring up two things I've heard in conversation concerning this...

*note* my comments reference two past event that I attended, both of which were fine events organized by great people who I will continue to support in the future and I mean no negative comment against them or their organizers.

- The $100 registration fee is steep in comparision to all other events. ITV isn't like other events. You'll be getting 5 days or 124 hours of total immersion (Monday 6am to Saturday ~10am). That works out to 81 cents an hour. By comparison, for Bummers we all paid $35 for a little less than 2 days or 39 hours of total immersion. That was $1.14 an hour. Being a project manager in real life, its easy for me to see the value in such a calculation.

- Arriving on a Sunday and departing on a Saturday requires any participant to take a full week of vacation or leave to attend. By comparision Into the Piney Woods required a Monday arrival and had a Saturday departure required the same week of vacation or leave. For some traveling from the coasts this turned into three days of travel each way. In my opinion the purposeful decision on the event schedule facilitates safe travel and preparation before the event and eases concerns of return travel. The length of time for participants to be away from the 9 to 5 grind is precisely the same at ITPW.

I'm damned excited to be a particpant and I hope my comments persuade more of the Campaigner Community to sign on with "The Dixie Boys" of Company A, 57th Georgia In The Van...
    Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt_Sullivan View Post
      There is no list published, but I've got the sinking suspicion that except for one 18 year old young man in the military company, I may be the next youngest member at 39.
      Pete,
      Your defiantly in the top 5.

Cant wait for this event.
      Joe Beedle

http://www.2ndminnesota.com

http://thesheepfarm.org

Comment

Wouldn't that be the bottom five?
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
          Silas,

It's all a matter of perspective.

I'll be certain to not let all the old codgers take advantage of the younger men during this jaunt.
          Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

I promise not to make further comment upon your youth and inexperience.
            Silas Tackitt,
            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I promise not to make further comment upon your youth and inexperience.
              See... who wouldn't want to be a soldier?

Such witty conversation and the inevitable clash of the decrepit and the virile will be the talk of years to come.
              Last edited by Pvt_Sullivan; 05-24-2010, 02:13 PM.
              Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Your right Silas.
                Pete. Lets hope we don't have to carry them ;)
                Joe Beedle

http://www.2ndminnesota.com

http://thesheepfarm.org

Comment

There are wagoners who got you all beat. On both ends of the age spectrum.

Yep, folks learned in wagon school that the wagoners walk too...........

Its a Wagon Train........NOT a Wagon Ride....
                  Terre Hood Biederman
                  Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                  Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Time to register folks!
                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                    Past President Potomac Legion
                    Long time member Columbia Rifles
                    Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

I'll be there... how about you?
                      Brian Hicks
                      Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

I'll be there Mr. Hicks.

Comrades,

You have just 5 days to get registration forms and payment in. This can be done both by traditional mail and done electronically by sumbitting the completed documents in an email and paying via PayPal. If you need assistance to get this done, all you need to do is join the Yahoo Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/In-The-Van/ and ask for help. We're still looking for more able-bodied men and will help anyone who takes the first step.
                        Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Working...
                        X