Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In The Van Diary

August 1st, 1862
    Company is stopped in a field. Dark as Erebus. Fireflies flaring green out in the forest. Spots of foxfire a steady green glow. Voices drifting through the dark. Trying to build a small fire for coffee w. rotten wood. It doesn’t go well so far. Animals quiet. Heat and humidity at 9:00 PM are a challenge. Daddy longlegs half the size of my hand keep crawling out of the wood I’m trying to light and across my groundcloth. 17 year cicadas making a huge racket.
    No moon. Can’t see a thing 3 feet from the fire. No moon tomorrow either of course. Hooray for the planning department. Kentucky had better be glad to see us. Of course Kentucky can do what it wants, but I hope we push out the yankees and inspire the Kentuckians to join us.
    Bobo, while playing blackjack with me, said “We got to deal these damn cards better.”

August 2nd, 1862
    At assembly last evening I just did not care a straw. It was much too hot for military deportment. Sgt. Hicks sets a fine example but it did not take.
    This morning we rec’d 2 days rations. Bread (soft), meat pie & fruit pie. I don’t know if the singular of “fruit” is “fruits” but if so, these are “fruit” pies: mostly half baked bread with some small dab of some sort of a fruit in the center. These ought to keep me stopped up good for a while.
    Sat up late last night with Bobo and Gerry, the ox teamster, hearing about his adventures on the Santa Fe Trail and in the Mexican War, hauling freight all the while, and some of the bits of knowledge and tricks he has picked up along the way. He is a rough man, but smart and philosophical. It was 1:30 AM when I closed my eyes. I’m watching him hitch up his team now. “Gee! Gee! Haw! Up! Whoah! Charles and James! Two steps back. One. Two. Good! Gee. Gee. Whoah. Charles! You stop thinking right now.”
    Stepped off w/o ceremony. I was assigned to the advance guard. Not having been there before, the whole section quickly learned that there is a unique form of distress which quickly occurs when one is walking in front of a mule team and a 2000 pound wagon. We were to keep 50 yards in front, but the lead driver seems not to have received the order and the mules were thundering on our heels. This arrangement is a wonderful elixir for fatigue on the march.
    I had planned to do some sewing and reading when we stopped for nooning, but all I did was sleeping.
    After mid day we hit two different places where tongues of boulder rock were sticking out of the ground on rises in the road which needed to be graded. Out came axes and shovels, and away we swung in the heat. We spelled each other and dug and filled for a season. When the last wagon passed we picked up our traps to find the haversacks crawling w. ants that had found the fruit pies. Sgt. Berezuk opined cheerfully “It’s not so bad. They’re small. They don’t eat much.” When we unstacked muskets the barrels were almost too hot to touch, from setting in the sun. Some ladies have joined the train and seem to be associating with the teamsters. They are a curiosity. We encountered the second spot in the road that needed grading. It was on a hill. We shoveled, chopped and sweated till the road was passable. I accidentally hit Jay in the side of the face with a shovelful of dirt. The first team up the hill faltered. One of the mules lost its traction and fell to its front knees. They were now stuck on the incline. Another team was unhitched, brought forward and hitched to the first with a long chain. Then “Pull! Hyup! Hyup! Pull!” The chains flailed, there was a shock of wood and metal slamming together, harnesses rattled as the mules pulled and strained mightily. Nothing. We unloaded the wagon. Finally up she went. Oh - not quite - the front right wheel was hung up on a small tree. Now she’s out. That’s ONE wagon.
    The hill turned into an operation that took all afternoon. By evening half the wagons were up and the other half waiting on the other side of a small creek. We made camp in the forest. The wagons seem to be strung out all along the road. The animals had to be walked a mile to water. I guess the little stream at the base of the hill was too small.
    I have been in a bit of a foul mood. Can’t find anything. What I can find seems to be broken.

Aug. 4 [3rd], 1862
    Kicked awake at 4:30 AM for fire watch. Jay tells me he was awakened around midnight for fire watch and was so confused he thought he was supposed to go on picket and started to put on his traps.
    I washed my shirt in the creek last night and put on the spare. There just aren’t any branches on these trees low enough to hang a wet shirt on, and the humidity just plain gets things wet and keeps them that way.
    I can hear teams going by on the road on the way to being hitched. The oxen make a thudding noise, the bells around their necks sounding like sleigh bells made of lead. The mules and horses are more of a prancing jingle. When they’re all hitched and moving it’s a bang thud bang bang thud. The hooves collectively sound most like a powerful waterfall.
    This morning we were sweating before the sun came up. The breeze will blow and start to cool us off and, without fail, stops again 15 seconds later. Michael Schaffner said “I know I got some sleep last night because I kept waking up in agony.” Waiting for the teams to be hitched gave us time to get our traps arranged. Did more road grading. Brought the rest of the wagons up the hill. Where the mules had fought and failed, the oxen just walked up it like it was nothing. One of the oxen went to its knees at the same spot one of the mules had, but just went back up on its shanks with the same nonchalance as swishing a horse fly off its back. They hauled the heaviest wagon in the train up that hill completely loaded and didn’t stop for anything.
    Nooning now. We followed the train through some pine lots on a dusty road and found it stopped and the animals grazing. We’re in those same pines. The heat is bad but we seem to be bearing up. Bobo’s tending to Silas’s blister next to me. Reread my letter from S. It’s a beauty. I started a response.
    Later. We’ve stopped early as the animals are dangerously jaded. I’m not sure what all the train is hauling, but someone up ahead is bound not to receive what they’re expecting on time.
    Speaking of whatever it is we’re hauling there was just quite a little dust up regarding a transaction the orderly sgt. made with the teamsters for coffee for the co. Apparently Hank, one of the swampers, claimed the sgt. gammoned him $1.50 for it and he came over to our camp complaining about it. The s’gt didn’t suffer that. There was an argument which this wagoner was bound to lose. Swamper Hank was walked [back] over to his rig at musket point. There was a further argument and the entire company, which was just then busy doing nothing, was ordered “Under arms!” and assembled on the road in various states of readiness. We were ordered to fix and charge bayonets and advanced on the teamsters. I looked beyond the points of our bayonets and saw teamsters backing away, ladies running and hiding their faces with their hats. I looked to my right and saw Mike Schaffner advancing with the line, with a look of steely determination, wearing only his bottom drawers and a pair of brogans. The swamper was captured and brought in front of the major while the company watched. It had all gotten pretty ridiculous by now.
    Company A had seen the elephant, repulsing a handful of mule whackers and women, and meanwhile the supplies for the army sit here while we squabble. The issue seemed to boil down to whether Hank was selling gov’t coffee or not. It’s all got me fairly bored.
    Things have since degenerated into a scheming dealing free for all between the teamsters and the infantry. Who’s got what for sale or trade. We’re getting to know each other. We visited the ox wagon yesterday to try to learn what they might have. I chose that wagon in particular because Cornbread works on it, and he’s the only skinner in the train I’ve met before, in Knoxville. He was in the back of the wagon with another teamster, acting like he didn’t know me. It’s a tall rig with high sides. We could only see the tops of their heads. “Hey ‘Bread! You got any goods you might sell or trade?” “What?” They were busy doing something in there. It looked like they might be digging a hole. “We’re looking to buy food for our mess!” ‘Bread’s head popped up over the side. “We got peaches.” “What else?” His head popped back down out of sight. “What?” “What else?” “What else what!” “What else you think you might have?” “We got peaches! And tobacco!” “We have those things. What else?” “Might have some oysters!” His head popped up again. “We got oysters. And condensed milk. What do you got.” and so on.
    Bob Bowser says he’s killed 6 ticks crawling across his ground cloth since we set up camp today, and lost two others.
    “The Emperor's Mess”: Our mess has christened Bobo, Michael, Rob and Beau’s mess with this name. Yesterday, after we stopped they set up their fly and I saw them lounging under it, stripped to their bottom drawers. I told the boys in my mess they looked like a Roman bath. And it started. “The Centurion Mess.” “The Senator’s Mess.” “The Emperor's Mess!” The last one stuck and we will make it keep sticking. We seem to have been named the Odd 6 Mess as there are 6 of us where there are normally four [in a squad]. Today though we are 5, as Bill Bamann had to fall out from heat and cramps. We expect he will recover.
    The heat has been rough today. This morning we were issued cooked grits. My section was assigned advance guard again. We started through the pines. The sound was cardinals and cicadas. The sun was just up, casting long morning shadows, but the air was already hot and still. Butterflies were flickering about as we stepped off. We soon left the trees and moved out into open country, the wagons banging along behind.
    I’m told the mercury reached 100 today. It was at least in the upper 90s. I can tell you that it was exceedingly thermal. It was caloric. It pounded. Trees were on every side of us now but we followed the road, out in the hot open meadows. The only good news was that it was bad bushwhacking country.
    Lieutenant Beedle ordered a halt. We just stood there in the heat, glowing with sweat. The lieutenant, in his alarmingly cheerful manner said “Take some shade, boys.” We were standing on the road in the middle of an open field without a tree or a stick of shade for a quarter mile in any direction. My file partner Jay and I went to huddling next to a pine bush about 2 1/2 feet tall as if from the wind. But there was no wind, just the still heat, and the little bush wasn’t shading much of anything. We tried placing our hats in it to block the sun a little bit but they kept falling out because the branches were more like twigs. It was pretty miserable.
    Why we were stuck there waiting we knew not. We speculated that the road behind us was being built up by the rear guard, over a small culvert we’d passed a while back, for the ox team to get across, which meant we would have to wait there for a while, but they were just being brought to water.
    We moved forward again, the train winding behind, then the rear guard. We were halted and started again a few times, sometimes every 3 rods or so. In my mind I kept pulling for the next tree line that would come into view because it seemed sure that the road would lead into it and we would reach some shade, but every time we would approach any trees a new gap would appear, the road would curve and new open country would unfold ahead of us, like the Sahara with some dried grass thrown on top. The tree lines were only masking it, mocking us.
    Bill fell out from the heat somewhere along this time. We have learned that he’s been sent to a rear hospital. He may be back up with us soon.
    The only grain of comfort was a breeze that finally came up across the field. We were sweating faster than it was blowing.
    On we trudged. The wagons moved a fair bit of the time in the grass alongside the road, to save tear on hooves.
    The animals were rested for a few minutes behind us and again we waited in the sun. Some of us hunkered behind 2 or 3 hay rolls which happened to be there. Jay, Bob Bowser and I found a shallow gully containing some scrub bushes that offered some shade. There were blackberry bushes there but the berries were dried up. We placed our hats on top of our muskets and sat angling the hats toward the sun, as the shade there was still scant.
    Paddy Mack came up on his horse for our canteens, which were nearly empty, and brought them back just as the lead wagon started bearing down on us. And off we went, the train banging and jangling behind us.
    Not long after, the road finally led into a woods. It was a sweet feeling to enter the trees again.
    We were again halted and waited for a while, taking shade along the road. The sun was high by now so there was not a great deal of it to be had, but much more than a single pine bush had provided. The bushwhacking opportunities seemed scant here as well, as the 2nd growth chaparral on either side of us was too dense to move around in without kicking up alot of noise.
    We lay there idly, not knowing what was happening down the road. Some new born butterflies were flickering around in the cut. One landed on the ground near where I was sitting. I held out my finger to it and it climbed on. It was purple black with blue spots, less than an inch wide. I watched it flex its wings up and down. The rest of the guard had fallen asleep in the dead leaves with their heads against a dirt berm. We were all grimy and sweat soaked. It was quiet but for the insects and the whiporwills [sic]. I could see buzzards circling through the strip of sky above. The butterfly flew off my finger. I tried reading a dime book, but lost interest after the word ‘verdure’ was used 3 times in the first four pages. It had just gotten to what might be an interesting part where a lady was standing on a porch in a mining town in California, but I didn’t care anymore after all the verdure. I fell asleep in line with the others until we were wakened by the sound of wagons coming.
    We had made good time in the open country and had moved beyond the spot that had been scouted for a camp. A number of the wagons were unable to turn around in the narrow lane, flanked by woods, and so had to head even further to find an area wide enough to allow them to turn around and come back.
    We watched them rumble back past us and then countermarched back down to where the train was setting up camp in the road. The infantry felled small trees for fly poles, drew tarps from the wagons and secured them to trees on one side, then to the poles in the road on the other. Soon there was a crooked line of white canvas in the air with all manner of traps spread on the ground below, or hanging from guy ropes. Just about every shirt worn that day by the company was draped from a bush on the opposite side of the lane from where the tents were secured. It looked like a shirt orchard. Those with extra shirts put them on, those without went with bare chests. Some who had spare shirts didn’t bother to put them on because they were already so filthy after 4 days of marching in the Tennessee heat.
    Bare chests were a problem if the men wanted to walk down to the train, due to the presence of the women now traveling with us. We had to walk past them to get anywhere. I went to draw an axe and had to put on my jacket and button it up over my skin.
    It turned out that there was a swimming hole nearby. After we’d done the firewood detail we walked down along the train and out onto the plain. We saw Hank the Swamper and invited him along. He said “Oh, I hate getting wet.” We went over a hill and there saw a dammed up pond with a few heads bobbing in it.
    We shucked our truck and swished our shirts in the edge of the water, trying not to stir up the mud. I soaped up my shirt as best I could. There was a black grease stain right on the front of it. I scrubbed that with especial care but all I ended up with was the same black stain with a clean spot around it. There was no way to wash our bottom drawers without putting them back on wet.
    We slipped and slid through the orange mud at the edge and tossed ourselves in the water. It was as nice to swim and wash in the pond as I suppose one can imagine it would be after a 6 mile stop and start trek across that open plain today. We washed our hair and faces with a piece of soap I’d brought and then threw it to Bobo who was doing laundry off of a floating branch he’d dragged into the water with him.
    I clambered up out of the pond, through the mud at the edge, pulled on my drawers and sat drying in the sun. There isn’t much deadfall in these woods, so we brought back some wood from a pile which had built up near the pond dam. I grabbed a log, but Bob Hutton felt that we should be more ambitious and dragged the biggest possible log out of the pile he could find. We picked it up and headed back to the train. I told Bob that if we were going to haul the thing all the way back, it should belong to our mess and not be donated to the company cook fire. I needed a strategy to get it past the officers and suggested we walk past the fire and just keep walking until ordered to stop.
    The day was as blistering as ever. It was 1/4 mile, mostly uphill, to our camp. Bob and I walked along the train with the log on our shoulders and through the officers area, where sure enough they asked where we were going with that big log. We pretended not to hear and they didn’t pursue the matter. [We] shoved for the end of the camp.
    By now I was as hot & sweaty as when we’d left for the pond, from toting this tarned log. Bob and I dropped it on the ground in front of our fly. It quickly became a bench, which gave respite to all the sitting on the ground. I christened the bench “Bob’s Folly”.
    Sgt. Berezuk has been breveted from sergeant to captain. That’s alright by me. The other day Bobo and I were growling because he’d yelled at us earlier in the day, something about “Just because you’re at route step doesn’t mean you lose formation!” I was about to say something clever about him losing some teeth, when we heard a voice from some tall grass about a rod away say “If you did your jobs I wouldn’t have to do mine!” I’m sure glad he spoke up when he did. Bobo and I calculated that we were on the black list with him after that, but it seems to have blown over. I was never really sore with him. We were just talking slush. The lieutenant didn’t seem to mind the sgt. being promoted above him, and that’s one of the reasons we like the lieut.
    Half a pig for supper, then we got mail, early this evening. I read a letter from S., which was a joy. We all did a bit of sharing around, reading letters aloud.
    Toward candle lighting I proposed to get a card game up. We’d invited a few of the wagoners down. I was digging the wax out of the candle holder in my little lantern so as to put in a new candle when the knife slipped. Seems I did a fair job of sharpening the thing as it put a good slice into my right index finger. I could tell it was fairly deep. Hank the Swamper showed up for the big game just as I was sitting there in the road pouring blood, debating whether to get out the housewife and give myself a couple of stitches. He said “I’ll come back.”, turned around and ran smack into Sgt. Hicks who commenced to blow him up for being in our camp and kicked him out. The sgt. asked if anyone had invited him into camp. I could not raise my hand on account of its being attended to at the moment. Ha ha.
    Now the heat lightning has commenced, rain threatens and it looks like the big game is up the spout.
    A couple of days ago I bought some pears off a wagoner 3 for 5 cents. I got 9 of them as they were small. Today I learned that he was selling us our own rations. This got me exercised, I’ll say. I’m here in large part so I can eat steady, and I find out I’m spending my wages to buy food that was intended to be issued to me anyway from a kitteny little sharp. His name is Nate and we’re going to try to get charges brought against him. We call him Pear Boy the Barefoot Bastard now. I don’t think I make much of a patriot, but speculation like this is taking food away from soldiers and putting money in the pockets of hucksters like him. This sort of corruption is breaking out all over the place and taking government food away from men up ahead who are trying to knock the yankees back into Ohio. It gets me mad. Besides, they weren’t ripe yet and tasted like wood.
    I’m laying in a wagon rut writing this by candle. I just heard Bobo say “I’ll bet you a dollar to an apple pie that I have to get up in the middle of a rain storm to pee.” Anyone riding down this road is going to drag about 3 tent flies along with them before they get tangled up and pitch over. There’s nowhere else to camp. It’s still hot as Egypt and the sun went down hours ago. The thought of laying under a blanket is no go. Mine has served as a pillow for days now. I haven’t even unrolled it. Rain is starting and I will close and crawl under the fly.

August 4th?, 1862
    Awakened at 4:30 this morning by C’pl Biederman. Our section had rear guard so we were behind the ox team the whole way, who move slower than the horses & mules. The ox wagon has a crack in the base of its limber. I forgot the right term for the part. It could go at any time. Some of the animals are injured - rubbed raw from harnesses, right through the flesh in some cases.
    We still made good time through the forest today. We heard a shot gun blast away ahead of us, about mid day, followed by one or two other shots. Paddy Mac appeared later on horseback to say that he’d been fired on by 2 or 3 men who then vanished.
    I was nation tired by the time we came out of the forest into a bit of a clearing. Being last out of the woods, we had to picket in that direction. It is a bilious thing to be half blown like that and hear people laughing, eating and setting up their camps while you stand 6 rods away watching some trees. But there are clearly some Tennesseans out there who want to take shots at us.
    We were relieved and soon we had the flies up in the trees, our camp laid out, and a fire going out on the road. Bob Bowser spent hours roasting ears, boiling rice & c. for us while Bob Hutton made a perfect passel of johnny cakes. I don’t know how they did it. It is so blamed hot that if I even stick my head in and blow on a campfire 3 times to get it going, by the time I get back out into the regular heat, sweat is pouring into my eyes for half an hour.
    Bob Bowser’s the only one in the Odd 6 Mess who has acquired a pet name; Jay give him a pepper yesterday. Bob got pepper oil on his hands and rubbed his neck with them somehow and it got in some bramble scratches. His eyes popped for 1/2 an hour and now he’s Pepper. This is convenient as there are two Bobs in the mess.
    Jay, Bob Hutton and I set out to buy or barter what food we could from the train. All the wagoners have stores for this purpose. I’m watching them now to make sure they are not mixing government stores in with it. I’m still stewing about those pears. We done pretty well, came away with 2 cans of peaches, eggs, oysters, sugar. The regular infantry can’t get this kind of stuff. The process got complicated. At one point I struck a deal with one of the ladies traveling with the train whereby she would trade friction matches if we would haul wood for the officer’s mess fire, and she would help buy the oysters if we would trade for something else we had plus chop logs to set the mess kettles on. I think that’s how it went. In the end the Odd 6 made a respectable haul.
    Later, Michael Schaffner from the Emperor's Mess came over to our fly with his pen set and helped us to write up formal charges against the wagoner that sold us the wooden pears. He helped us out like a regular lawyer and wrote it all out very pretty and official looking. I tricked Bob Hutton into signing as the chief testifier, with Pepper and myself as witnesses, which was rotten of me, but Bob is awful shy and having to testify at a court martial might help acclimate him more to engaging with people. We are calling Bob “The Silent Assassin” sometimes.

August 5th, 1862
    Bill came up from the hospital and seems good as new.
    Last night we had another go at that card game. Bob, Bill, Pepper and I went down to the ox wagon at the end of the train, as Hank the Swamper is still persona non grata with Sgt. Hicks in our camp. We picked up Paddy Mack on the way. Jay weaved in and out of the game as he was busy trying to procure some wet goods from the teamsters and was apparently successful, as Bob told him he could start a house on fire just by breathing.
    It was blackjack for stamps, played by candlelight in the road. I dealt and broke about even. We talked yankees, bushwhackers, politics, Tennessee, Kentucky. It turned out Bob had been in the Mexican War and he told us about Taylor and the battle of Buena Vista.
    We threaded our way back to camp in the dark by lantern light and laid under the fly, making general antics for a bit as quietly as we could. I started writing in here, and found out that I was an unwitting source of amusement as my candle was projecting light across my bandaged hand and the knot ends sticking out of it were creating a a shadow puppet show on the ceiling of the fly as I wrote. There was so much suppressed laughing going on in general that I didn’t notice.

August 6th, 1862
    Up with the dawn. Yesterday we were halted on the road. “Rest” was called. The road was a bit sunken there and gave a nice stretch on the sides to sit down on, which we did. I was next to Bobo. He pulled a couple of letters out, asked me to read them aloud. One from his wife and one from his sister. I read the one from his wife. It was the sweetest, purest, plainest bit of prose. The whole forest seemed to go quiet. Bobo was starting to get leaky. It was one of those little moments that you take along with you. The silence continued. I put the letter back in the envelope, handed them back to Bobo and said “I’m not going to read the other one. We barely made it through the first one.” - by way of a joke to try to kill off the melancholy. It was that good kind of sad that reminds us why we’re here but it still made a body feel alloverish. Then Cornbread come down from the ox wagon and started insulting us, calling us featherbed soldiers, saying we won’t fight & c., kicking dust at us. He’ll call you names while he shares the last of his switchel with you. I imagine that when he was four years old he was wearing a broad brimmed hat and high boots, and cursing at the other children.
    Well, today we were at the rear of the train again. Jay has made me into a tobacco chewer. I’ve avoided the stuff, but I was bored on the march (which is like saying I was wet in the water) and he offered me a chaw. I bit it off. He showed me how to work it, and 1/2 an hour later I was spitting juice like I’d been doing it for years. Whoever writes those tracts we get about avoiding camp vices should come on the march for a couple of days and see how they do.
    By and by there was a pop pop popping up ahead. We double timed up there and were halted and ordered to load. The advance guard was out on either side of the road in a skirmish line spread out across a clearing dotted with tall bushes, and rifle shots were puffing out from the trees on the other side of the clearing about 1/4 mile away.
    Some of us staid with the wagons. I was sent out with the skirmish line to the left of the road. We worked our way through waist high grass, which I was grateful for as regards covert, but it soaked us from the waist down. It’s a strange place worrying about wet shoes and meeting the Lord at the same time. We worked our way across the clearing. I couldn’t see much but tall grass, bushes, Jay on my left and Pepper & Bill on my right.
    We come to a rise and crouched down. I saw a puff of smoke from the tree line in front, then heard the shot. We were ordered forward, and it was a moment that required some starch, which I seemed to be running low on right then. Either that fellow had fired and fled at our approach or fired and reloaded and had a bead on any one of us. A smart bushwhacker would fire and then hie out, but I don’t hold much stock in these clay eaters being all that smart.
    Jay and I leap frogged forward through the tall grass, firing and loading. I was laying down to load zouave indian style. I wanted badly to move forward that way too, but the rest of the line was walking forward, so I did as well. As we approached the woods, a coyote yip hound dog calling went up from us. The woods appeared to be cleared. We crouched in a line in the pine trees and could hear shots further ahead. All they were trying to do was slow down the train. Apparently there was a face to face fight with them on our right, but I never saw more from them than puffs of smoke.
    The skirmish line was called in and soon I found myself in the advance guard. We seemed to be headed down a different road, a detour from the bushwhackers, at least for a spell. They can hear the wagons moving and can find us in short order.
    Presently we came to a small clearing with an abandoned cabin in it. Four of us were ordered to guard the cabin, for no reason I could see. Soon, part of the train came up, with the rest of it staying in another clearing about 1/8 mile down the road. It commenced to raining and I was able to snatch a nap on the porch of the cabin. It was an opportune time for a roof to show up.
    I was awakened and sent out on one of the patrols looking for bushwhackers. Of course it stopped raining as soon as I fastened on my oil cloth. No bushwhackers.They seem to have had their fill for today. Just the forest dripping at us. Saw a couple of deer, or at least some big and tan things with four feet. Anything out there with 4 feet is fine by me. It’s the 2 footed ones I don’t like.
    We toted packs & tools to our camp from the train and set up mess flies in the clearing. Our flies are tarps from the wagons. They help give shade. The boys up ahead of us don’t get the luxury of a big piece of canvas to hang over themselves to keep the sun and rain off.
    When I had first heard we would be on wagon guard I had imagined we would sleep under the wagons or string shelter from them, but the teamsters don’t mix with us much, except to trade goods or insults. The women traveling with the train don’t mix with anybody except the menfolk already with them. They’re either veiled off somewhere or escorted about, and don’t talk to us. We just stand and take off our hats when they walk by. That’s about it. Today they were moving around a fair bit, so we did a fair bit of standing and doffing. At one point 3 or 4 of us were sitting around cleaning our muskets, and here came a whole budget of ladies escorted by their men, on their way to the creek to bathe. They sort of sprung up on us. Jay was sitting with his trousers unbuttoned, and no time to button them up. He was a 3 way loser at that point because his only choices were to remain sitting, stand up with his fly unbuttoned, or stand up and turn around. He went with option 3 and stood with his back to the girls, holding up his trousers and cursing under his breath. We can’t talk to the women, but we can talk about them, and they are nice to look at.
    The heat has been punishing since we stepped off, but isn’t so bad today. I had a few candle stubs in my bed roll. I just dug them out and they are all fused together in a lump. Had to break one off with my knife. Friction matches won’t light on account of humidity and sweat. I took to putting mine in the tin of my cartridge box, but they still won’t light. It involves alot of striking and frowning to get one going.
    Last night I was talking with Hank the swamper about his dilemna w. the sergeant. He is convinced that the sgt. cheated him over the coffee. I don’t think he did and whether he did or not, Hank’s making the wrong enemies at the wrong time. Pepper and I said we’d talk to Corp. Kosek about talking to Sgt. Hicks about it. Hank agreed to provide the coffee that had never been delivered in exchange for a truce with the sgt. But then he started fretting because the coffee was cut w. saw dust. I asked him why he did that. He said he got it like that. Such is the atmosphere of corruption around the quartermaster corps. I don’t like it.
    Anyway I decided to do Hank a good turn and mentioned it to Cpl. Kosek today. Once the cpl. was sure he wouldn’t get personally dragged into the affair he agreed to talk to Sgt. Hicks about it. Later in the day it came to pass that Hank had delivered up the coffee and was allowed back in the infantry camp.
    So we done Hank a good turn, but I get the feeling he’d only sell us a turn back, with saw dust in it. We are lucky to have Cpl. Kosek w. us. He’s just one of the chaps, doesn’t order us around, will stick up for us at the pinch. So when he does tell us what to do we listen.
    We had inspection today. Jay’s musket was rusty. Sgt. Hicks hauled him up about it, in his quiet way. Jay said it was because it was an old smooth bore, and the rest of the men had gotten new yankee Springfields but run out when they got to him. He said he had felt “like a jilted hen after a rooster raid” after that, and could the sgt. please look into procuring him a Springfield. I don’t have any idea what the jilted hen comment meant but the sgt. started out to give Jay gehenna for negligence and wound up promising to try to find him a new musket. I call that genius, however he did it.
    Well, the major put in an appearance earlier. He assembled us, said we were into Tennessee and announced that some local women had made us a collation in gratitude. I wonder if any of the people who cooked it are related to the ones who were shooting at us today. There were hurrahs all around The grub consisted of a bean stew. It was good. The ladies all sat with the officers, shielded from the rough scuff rank & file.
    Then came serenading & banjo music. But the unexpected treat was about to come. The Emperor's Mess had rigged up a sort of Roman banner on a scrap of cloth. “SPQR” was written on it in charcoal. I don’t know much latin so I speculate it stood for “Silly People Quite Right”. The banner was hung horizontally on a sapling branch which was then hung from a pole, on top of which were corn husks fashioned into what I think was an eagle. Three of them came parading out with the ad hoc banner (I know some latin) wearing laurel crowns made up of what might have been maple leaves. Whatever they were, they were much too big and gave the effect of bushes on their heads. They proceeded to enumerate the daring adventures & exploits of the Emperor's Mess. I didn’t know they had any, but they were quite eloquent about whatever it was they had done. Now here comes Bobo! He’s also wearing a laurel wreath, over his plug hat, and comes galloping around the side of the cabin, riding a mangled branch he has between his legs. While making whinnying noises, he rides it completely around his comrades, who are standing in a line, and reins up at the end of the line.
    They continued their eloquent solilequees [sic] and when they got to the part about today’s fight against the bushwhackers, Bobo’s branch reared up & he galloped forward a few paces to interject his own comments, including kicking a branch full of dead leaves around that just happened to be laying in front of him and yelling phrases like “Git you bushwhackers git! I see you in that bush! Now I’m going to Whack you! Git now!” he then galloped back triumphantly to his place in the line of thespians, surging forward again from time to time, whooping and proclaiming as the narrative progressed.
    Soon this Roman comedy concluded to enthusiastic applause. It had been a smasher, all the more amazing because the whole performance seemed like they’d rehearsed it for days but they’d only slapped it up in a few minutes. It allowed us to laugh about the day’s events. We faced the music today, and we stopped the tune, at least for now. We will no doubt hear it again and by God we will stop it again.
    Candle lighting approaches. We are going to go for another game of cards tonight. Pepper is keen on starting a chuck a luck racket. We will have to see how tonight’s proceeds are.
    Later. Played cards. Broke about even again. I don’t know if Bobo got hold of some of the creature while celebrating his earlier command performance, but he wasn’t able to keep track of his cards even a little. He kept recounting, then realizing one card had been hidden behind another one. He’d get distracted and join a conversation going on behind him while we waited for him to bet. He’d say “Hit me” when his turn was over. One time, I gave him seven cards in a row. He kept recounting them, ciphering, looking at the sky. Jay finally said. “Hell, take off your shoes!” Bobo studied his cards, said “Shit.” then “Give me another one.” We howled with laughter. Then he started insisting that I was cheating on the deal. I told him he could deal if he wanted. He said “Well, I would have dealt, but I probably would have got caught.”
    After the game we sat up talking under the stars for a bit. I scribbled in here. I will now write a letter to S. I am very tired and it’s hard to see to write, but there’s no easy time to do it. In her last letters her spirit was restless and she expressed the desire to wander. I am here to help insure that she can wander wherever she wants in her own fair country.

August 7th, 1862
    Up with the dawn. Kicked Pepper in the head last night in the dark accidentally. He barely woke. In the morning light I saw that I’d been walking through a number of sleeping men during the night without knowing it. Tried to make some coffee this morning to no avail. Not enough time. We have advance guard today. Our arms are stacked & we are sitting by the side of the road waiting for the wagons.
    [SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Todd S. Bemis[/SIZE][/SIZE]
    [CENTER][/CENTER][I]Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry[/I]
    Independent Volunteers
    [I]simius semper simius[/I]

Re: In The Van Diary

Outstanding Brother Todd, thank you for sharing your diary entries.
    [FONT=Georgia][/FONT][SIZE="3"][FONT="Georgia"]Dan Biggs[/FONT][/SIZE]

-Member of the Southwest Volunteers Mess

Comment

Thanks Todd, that was awesome!
      Andy Mouradian
      JayBirds Mess

"Snap it up, shake the lead."

[IMG]http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m400/westernreb/JaybirdMess-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Awesome Read.

Hoping more will post their diaries, and maybe an AAR thread......
        Jay Stevens
        Tater Mess
        Independent Volunteers
        Iron Man Mess
        Reenactor Preservation Coalition
        Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
        Lost Tribes, October 2009
        Bummers, November 2009
        Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
        The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
        In the Van, August 2010
        Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Todd,

Excellent job! I was really looking forward to finally getting to read all of that scribbling that you did all week long! Reading your journal really took me back to Tennessee and made me realize how much I enjoyed this event and already miss it!

Jay,

I'm working on getting my typed....will post within the next few days.

Thanks,
          Bob "Pepper" Bowser
          Last edited by Pvt.Bowz; 08-19-2010, 09:38 PM.
          Bob Bowser

Comment

Excellent. It put me back on that hot trail again sucking rock salt by day and sweltering on my folded blanket by night. Good times.
            Silas Tackitt,
            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

“In The Van Trialing Kirby Smith”

What I did On My Summer Vacation

Exploits of the 57th Georgia Company 'A' in Tennessee and Kentucky detailed to escort Kirby Smiths’ wagons through hostile Unionist East Tennessee as the Army invades Kentucky in August of 1862

Bob Hutton

8/11/2010

After an arduous march from Knoxville, the 57th Georgia Infantry is detached from Heth’s Division; Leadbetter’s Brigade and detailed to escort and protect the wagon train hauling supplies for the Army up to Kentucky. We meet up with the wagons near Jamestown Tennessee on Sunday, August 1st 1862. As the regiment arrives blankets and ground cloths are dropped on the ground in the shade of the woods. The temperature is in the nineties and very humid. The day progresses, provisions are distributed with orders to cook two days rations and be ready to march out at first light.
              Our officers, Major Murray, Second Sergeant, then later; Acting Assistant Quartermaster Berezuk and Lieutenant Beedle are busy with the logistics of coordinating the military with the wagons; First Sergeant Hicks details some of us to cooking rations. The rations are flour, lard and some strange looking substance referred to as ‘meat’. The dough is mixed and filled with a little ‘meat’, then deep fried in lard in camp kettles. Some of the teamsters and ladies help out, Mrs. Simpson supervises the cooking of rations, Mrs. Lawson is about and directing the loading of provisions and such for the Teamster’s and the civilians accompanying the train. Some of the townspeople arrive with boxes of food for us, a hot bread and cheese type pie topped with tomato sauce. Later, canteens and pots are filled with water from a number of nearby cool streams; water will be a concern in this weather with the difficult task at hand. The wagons are loaded as the teams of oxen, mules, and horses are set out to graze and rest before tomorrows’ departure.
              Hot and tired I find my place with my new messmates , My feet are already aching from the march to this place, hope they hold up, flop down to get some sleep, the night is warm, but pleasant the stars are visible soon I’m asleep.
              Monday August 2nd 1862 near Jamestown Tennessee
              Sergeant Hicks wakes us at 6:00AM fifteen minutes for pickup, first call, and roll call then prepare to move out. Rations are distributed and stuffed in haversacks, to my despair there is no coffee issued, I’ll have to remedy this somehow. We have just been paid, I will send five dollars home to my wife in Thomasville county, but I will keep some and possibly use it to pry free some of the provisions going on those wagons. Also I received some letters, kind of official looking; I’ll bother with them later. Noticing the oxen drawn wagon nearby I saunter over to take a look at the team. There are four oxen each named for an English king, ‘Lead’ Oxen William & George ,followed by ‘Wheel’ team ‘Charles & James’.
              The column moves out, Corporal William Kosek , and myself are detailed to point some hundred yards ahead of the train, the rest of our section spread out at thirty yard intervals in front of the wagons, the remainder of the company are positioned in the rear following the Ox wagon. As we move forward we scan the woods for Bush Whackers’ these are nefarious fellows with unionist tendencies, they threaten the progress of the wagon train and do not take prisoners. The citizens in these parts don’t seem to like us much. I think these ‘Bush whackers’ are just criminals out to settle old scores with neighbors and profit from the situation by violence, I question there ‘loyal’ motives. The day is growing hotter and more humid as we move on, water is essential and details are sent out to fill canteens constantly.
              We rotate back to the middle of the lead platoon and the column halts for a short rest. Sear gent Hicks orders us to un-sling knapsacks. The wagons are going to carry them for us, I for one, am grateful. Brushing away the ants that have covered the outside of my haversack, I decide to grab something to eat while I can, when you’re hungry, the meat pie almost looks appetizing. We are rotated to the rear of the column behind the Oxen, the pace is a little slower than up in front, the mule teams have been pushing at a good pace, and we have grown tired keeping ahead of them.
              Haven’t seen or heard anything of the’ bush whackers’ but they are out there. Around noon the column halts for a couple of hours for food and rest for man and beast. Soaked through with sweat, look for a cool place to ‘enjoy’ another hunk of my ‘meat pie’ and a canteen of water. We were also issued some green apples and raw corn, a welcome diversion from ‘meat pies’. One of the teamsters who go by the name ‘Cornbread’ offers us a swig of a vinegar concoction called Switzel, not bad. Decided to read one of my letters while I was resting, it is from the Thomasville Highway department; it seems that I am to remove the fences on my property so that they can build a ‘highway’ through it. Do they realize where I am? Do they realize why I’m here? They have nothing better to do than write me while I’m in Tennessee fighting for all their homes? The letter is dated two months ago; I guess I will hear soon from my wife about this matter. Makes a man wonder why he fights while these idiots are fat and safe at home.
              One of the boys, Jay, I think, scrounges up a cup of coffee and shares a swallow with me, lord I miss coffee. I will have to work on this. Teamsters are watering the animals, Sergeant Hicks seems a solitary fellow, he’s roaming about observing the men and seems aware of all that is going on around him, and nothing escapes his notice. Cornbread, one of the teamsters with the oxen, is the comedian, and with Larry, they make good company. They talk of running over a snake cautioning us that there are rattlers and copperheads about although none have actually been encountered, Gerry, the owner of the Ox wagon, has a gentle way about him, his teams do their job. Nathan sets the pace with his mules, all know their jobs and perform them well. A certain Mr. Trent also works with Cornbread and the Ox wagon, he seems a might unsavory and conniving.
              Think that I will write my wife tonight if I get the chance. The clothes I am wearing from home are taking a beating; I am soaked through with sweat.
              After the two hour break we move out and come to an overlook, the view is breath taking; there, between the mountains is a steep drop to the valley below. The mountains seem to go on forever. The wagons come around the turn and are forced to halt. There are rock shelves in the trail that the wagons cannot get up and over. Axes and shovels are broken out and distributed, we work in shifts widening the trail and throwing dirt into the steps of the trail to fill it in. It’s even hotter now, must be near 100 degrees. Quickly the road is made passable and the first of the wagons goes up and over followed by the rest.
              The march continues for a short distance till a second even steeper, rockier hill is encountered. It is unserviceable for the wagons in its present condition. Tools are broken out again and the company goes to work. Some small trees are felled and the road widened. Dirt and debris are thrown into the trail by some of the boys, while others grade the roadbed. This work continues throughout the hot afternoon. Canteens are drained and refilled, water is paramount. The first wagon needs two mule teams to get it up and over the hill, they make it half way and stop, and men race to choke the wagon. A second team is hitched to the first; we unload the contents of the wagon and carry it up the hill. With the wagon empty, the two teams get the wagon up and over the top. Running up and down the hill is destroying my feet as I am wearing civilian shoes from home not really designed for this effort. I wonder if I’ll make it through this march. We are all hot, dirty and tired. The rest of the wagons camp at the bottom of the hill near a small creek for the night. Work will resume in the morning to get the rest of the wagons up over the hill. We make camp at the top of to the side of the trial in the woods. The place is infested with the largest ‘daddy long legs’ insects I’ve ever seen, they are everywhere along with bees that hover and stare you in the face. I’m too tired to care.
              We form up for roll call, Sergeant Hicks informs us that the ladies of the wagon train are cooking us a hot bucket of food. A fire is built to heat it up on and some of the corn distributed earlier is placed in the fire for roasting. Our meal arrives in a bucket, a kind of rice, tomato and meat concoction, hot and filling it hits the spot. We have Fire watch tonight I have 3AM till 4:30. Better turn in and get some sleep, change my wet socks in an attempt to get my feet to heal. Not long till I’m asleep. Over hear Hank talking about the days’ work and how tomorrow will be more of the same. So far all I’ve seen of Tennessee is mountains.
              Tuesday August 3rd 1862
              The sergeant has us up at Five thirty am. I had hung my haversack, now a favorite food source for ants, on a tree stump, this morning the stump is covered with ‘daddy long legs’; never seen so many in one place.
              Roll call at 6am stack arms fall out to pack up and break camp. The day is shaping up to be even hotter and humid than yesterday if that’s possible. Breakfast consists of some raw corn and water followed by a roasted ear of corn retrieved from the fire.
              As we wait for the wagons, talk drifts to a religion discussion between the Sergeant and Private Carter, then to the Seminole Wars as Sergeant Hicks recounts his exploits in the war for us. His command had come across the bones of a previous expedition that was all but wiped out earlier.
              The opportunity presents itself for some of us to grab a fast wash off in the creek at the bottom of the hill. Refreshed, we begin the business of getting the next three wagons up and over the hill. We are detailed to unload Nathan’s wagon and carry the contents up the hill to the top. The day is becoming hot and oppressive; my brief bath seems kind of pointless now except for its morale value.
              Back to the task at hand; Nathan drives his mule team up the trail, but halfway the mules balk and stop. Quickly the men on the side choke the wheels, a second team is brought in to help the first, and this time they make it to the top. Next comes the horse drawn wagon galloping up the trail, this wagon also stops about halfway, we unload it and a second team is hitched to get it up over the hill. Then comes the ‘big show’ the oxen drawn wagon. They breast the hill on the first try, one going down on its knees; they sure are powerful animals, magnificent to watch. Everyone applauds; the wagons have all made it over the hill. Wagons are reloaded, and we fall in behind the Ox wagon and begin to march out.
              Progress is slow the wagons have trouble navigating the winding trail, sometimes the men fall out and push and rock the wagons till they can be pulled free. After a few miles we enter a more open and level area, the trail is dry and the troops stir up the dust which adds to the heat and humidity and makes for difficult going. We arrive at a clearing where the vanguard and the wagons have stopped. Gerry thinks it too hot for the animals to continue they are tired and need rest, water, and food.
              We fall out into a scrub pine woods, a canteen detail is sent out. We are also hot, thirsty and tired and the officers decide to make camp here for the night. This place is full of creatures, grasshoppers, ants red &and black, praying mantis, ticks, spiders and butterflies and all sorts of life.
              Coffee has been on my mind and I decided some time ago to buy some from one of the wagons. Earlier I had approached Mr. Trent who set his blanket down in the scrub with us, about obtaining some that may be aboard one of the wagons. He indicated to me that a deal could be made. After setting up camp I’m about to go find Mr. Trent when Sergeant Hicks comes storming back through camp swearing and cussing about a no good low life wagon hand who had attempted to cheat him on a coffee deal, Mr. Trent! The man is barred from camp and we are prohibited to fraternize or deal with him. It seems that the sergeant had given Mr. Trent two Confederate dollars of the company money to Mr. Trent and when he went to pick up the coffee Trent said he had only received fifty cents. Looks like I’ll not be getting that coffee now.
              Trent came down to get his blanket and personal things, Daniel Williams, an earnest lad, known as BoBo to his friends, grabbed his weapon and with fixed bayonet arrested him on his own hook and escorted him from camp, a scuffle ensued in which Trent tried to grab Daniel’s musket. Sergeant Hicks called us To Arms! We all scrambled for our weapons, some were clad merely in their drawers and marched this Trent fellow back to the wagons, all the time Mr. Trent was proclaiming his innocence and whining that the sergeant had cheated him. We know Sergeant Hicks; he is a good and decent man, not known for falsehood. We know who the culprit is!
              Trent was marched back at bayonet point to Major Murray’s headquarters. The major seems to be down with the heat but rises from his blanket to hear the accusations of both parties. Major Rob also knows the sergeant to be an honest, fair man, and decides the case will be heard later. My hopes for coffee seem dashed, but later Sergeant Hicks arrives with a sack of ground coffee, a welcome treat. A few of us go down to where the wagons are camped to see if they conceal any unauthorized items, paid one dollar for condensed milk and one dollar for four eggs.
              We are detailed for the purpose of gathering and cutting wood for the wagon camps fires, in appreciation, the ladies prepare a delicious hot meal consisting of potatoes, cornbread, gravy and apple crisp washed down with tea. Returning to camp I changed into my dry set of drawers and clean socks, I’ll sleep dry tonight, try to lay out my sweat soaked clothes in the sun to dry. Our unit is free from duty tonight, turned in early, drifted off listening to the sounds of the woods.
              Wednesday August 4th 1862
              Reveille at 5: 30am, slept well considering how hot and humid it was and how ferocious the insects were; ticks, chiggers, flies. Fall in for roll call at 6am with mess kit in hand. A breakfast of Grits and tea has been prepared by the ladies, found some nuts and milk to go with it. No time for the eggs, sadly they did not survive my attempts to carry them.
              Because of the way this company breaks down, there is an extra two soldiers attached to the last squad of four, Lieutenant Joe Beedle details this ‘Odd Six’ to the front of the column. As a mess we six have become a close unit, pooling our resources and becoming close comrades. We adopt the name ‘Odd Six Mess’ The Mess consists of Cpl William Kozeck, Todd Bemis, our resident wit, Jay Stevens , Bob Bowser, nicknamed ‘Pepper’ for his propensity for using a home remedy of hot peppers externally, and William Bamaan three extremely resourceful fellows, along with myself. Another mess has also acquired a distinctive reputation and have become known as the’ Emperors’ Mess’ they seem destined for fame. Don’t know exactly how this name came about, but was told that it had to do with their discussions of Roman History while lounging under their fly, clad only in their drawers. The names stick.
              Before we step off the Lieutenant has a letter to read us from some “Madame Something or other” a proprietor in Chattanooga. This ‘Lady’ claims that several members of the 57th Georgia, while stationed in Chattanooga visited her establishment and left town without settling the bill. The list of so called delinquents is read aloud; much to my chagrin my name is on it. I am accused of running out on a five dollar bill for ‘upstairs services’! What scamp used my name? I don’t know what this woman is talking about. Several of the others are also indicated for skipping out on services, baths and mending. We all agree we have been duped. The proprietor also wants to be paid in gold!
              The ‘Odd Six’ are sent to the front of the column this morning. Proceeding up the trail, through the woods we come to an open field, the day is already oppressively hot, we stop at about eleven am in the shade of some trees at the far side of the field. Waiting by the side of the road the wagons pass by to get the animals into the shade and to turn around, must be a hundred degrees. Todd, Bob, & Jay are already planning tonight’s dinner menu. Looks like we will be making camp soon.
              Passed a pond about a quarter mile back, will try to get there later for a swim and bath. I am beginning to smell and am becoming offensive to myself ,it’s a kind of sweat, vinegar, ammoniac odor, probably smell ten times worse to others, wearing the same clothes for days in this heat, I guess we all don’t smell to good.
              Looks like a storm is brewing, dark threatening clouds moving in. maybe we will get some relief from the near hundred degree temperature. Lieutenant Beedle and Sergeant Hicks have come back from the wagons with a pickled ham they bought with their own funds; before we dash off to the pond we gather some wood for the fire. We set up camp along the side of the road making provisions to keep dry should it start to rain. Begins to thunder in the afternoon but nothing serious develops, two of us head down to that pond. Get to the pond strip down and jump in. the water is deep and cool. The bottom and shore are muddy however making it hard to leave the water in a clean state. Swim for a while then bath with soap and scrub a shirt, drawers and socks. More of the boys join us. Re-invigorated we head back to camp.
              Sergeant Hicks is cooking the ham along with a pot of rice. Dinner is first rate, first meat we have had if you excuse the ‘meat pies’ finished off with a good cup of coffee. Stretched out and listened to the approaching storm, thunder and lightning, several of us including myself take the time to write letters home. The storm produces a lot of noise and fireworks, but little in the way of relief or rain. Slept fitfully, some coyotes howling in the distance and there was a noticeable amount of activity under BoBo’s fly adjacent to me, digging, reading, digging some more? Eventually I fell asleep.
              Thursday August 5th 1862
              Up at 5:30 roll call at 6, cloudy but a little cooler this morning packed up camp and ready to move out. We have a light drill this morning to break the routine I suppose. My clothes have not thoroughly dried yet but I’ll tend to that later. Gave my letter to my wife to the sergeant, Breakfast consists of an ear of corn, rations are going to issued tonight, not much left in my haversack since I disposed of the balance of my ‘meat pies’, the ants seemed to like them so they can have the rest.
              The ‘Odd 6” had lead yesterday, we are relegated to following the wagons today, on the trail early we make good progress when a couple of shots are heard at the head of the column, one of the scouts, ‘Paddy Mac’ winged a bush whacker who promptly fled as Paddy promptly fled in the opposite direction. There is always the danger of an ambush in this country, the sooner we get through to Kentucky the better. We fan out, and watch the approaches to the roads and scan the woods looking for signs of trouble for a while , later we are relieved and rendezvous with the wagons in their next camp site.
              We fall into the woods off the trail and set up our mess. The weather is hot and humid; there are thunder clouds and lighting about, the sun peeking through periodically, so I throw my still damp laundry out on some bushes hoping to catch the sun and the breeze.
              Wood for our cook fire is the next priority, we are issued our rations, corn meal, rice, and raw corn and given instructions to supplement the meal by dealing and trading with the wagons. Some of us trade labor such as cutting and delivering firewood to the different camps. Pooling our money, a spokesman for the mess is appointed, one most practiced in the art of bargaining, Bob and Todd have made a careful list of goods on the wagons and the prices that have been charged for each item, we elect them to bargain for our mess, the others do the same. Canned goods, eggs, green beans and hot sauce even some liquor is purchased, although I did not see the liquor, and would never admit that it existed. There are some yard birds about, and are being purchased by some of the boys. If they kill and clean these birds, some of the women will cook them up for a price. After paying for our goods either with cash or services we return to camp.
              The orders are for each of us to have two days cooked rations and be ready to move out at first light. Bill Bamann and I are cooking Johnny cakes in a frying pan, we need three per man, and we add a couple of eggs purchased from the wagons to the batter and some corn sheared of the cob. Todd, Bob and Jay are boiling rice for dinner and for a rice pudding that will be eaten for breakfast, they have procured a cone of brown sugar, condensed milk and some raisons, and they let the mixture congeal in a boiler so as to be easily carried in the morning. There’s talk of a card game later on tonight out by the wagon camp. We are issued our cooked rations of three corn cakes per man, followed by roll call and inspection.
              There will be no guard duty tonight; another unit must have been detailed for it. We are free to relax, eat dinner and roam about the camps. Dinner consists of boiled rice, tomatoes from a can, some roasted corn and coffee. I went my blanket and as I was straightening and smoothing my sleeping accommodations for later someone noticed a walking stick insect climbing over our gear , never seen one before , we escorted it back into the woods so it wouldn’t get crushed. A short time later we pitch in helping to jack up and pull the wheels of a wagon for greasing.
              Now to scare up a card game, we find a few takers at the wagons. After several hours of playing cards with Todd, Jay, Bob, Paddy Mac ,and twenty cents richer, I head back to the camp, it is dark , thunder rolling in the distance, lying on my blanket I listen to the coyotes howl, seem kind of near, they must have found the chicken entrails in the woods across the road.
              Friday August 6th 1862
              Awakened at 5:30am, day is cloudy and humid, pack up, roll call 6am, then breakfast on rice, corn cakes and coffee. Fires are doused, we break camp and prepare to move out, wagons come up the ‘Odd Six’ are detailed to the rear of the column this morning. Walking along with ‘Cornbread’ in the rear of the wagon he points out tracks in the mud on the trail, wild hog and coyote tracks can be discerned. Shortly after we are underway, we are ambushed, quickly the company heads to the front except for the corporal and myself who are left to guard the approaches behind. More shots are heard and the firing becomes more intense, we can see from our position the gun smoke hanging in the woods about a half mile ahead. The fight continues for a half hour or so. The march resumes, still sporadic firing in the distance. The wagons continue and we pass our men at a crossroads. Ambushers numbered five to six armed with shotguns, our company lit into them capturing three who were promptly dispatched with the bayonet when they tried to ‘escape’ they are merciless killers and deserve no quarter. I’m sure later on we will find out more details of the fight, at least all our boys are uninjured and all are accounted for.
              The Ox wagon needs some repair before it can proceed, watch while Gerry & Cornbread repair it with rope. The Wagon train winds its way up a long incline past a pond, I wash my face a throw a hat full of water over my head, it is extremely humid, and starts to drizzle shortly after this. At the top of the hill we halt and wait for our comrades that we passed back at the crossroads to return, they relate to us the details of the battle with the bush whackers, it appears some of the men, too eager in their pursuit became separated from the rest of the company. They were fighting back to back and almost captured, a certain grisly death would have awaited them, the men of the ‘Emperors Mess’ charged in and rescued them, capturing and then dispatching three of the guerillas. A light rain continues to fall, acquire some ‘Amish Peanut Butter’ to grease my rifle to keep it from rusting. With the close presence of bush whackers we patrol the area around where the wagons have begun to set up camp. The patrol is uneventful, guess the bush whackers have had enough today.
              We are relieved and return to the camp, the weapons are cleared and then cleaned as inspection will be at 3 pm. Paddy Mac, passes by, and alerts us that there is a cool stream down the trail , about a quarter mile from camp, he said he just had a delightful bath . Capital idea; this sounds the perfect opportunity for a scrub and I will take advantage of it and change into the clothes I washed out the other day, (these small comforts mean a lot.) After inspection and doing my part to set up camp I sneak off to the creek. Not deep, maybe a foot and a half, but cool and clear with a rocky bottom, unlike the mud hole we swam in the other day, a few of the others join me. Just as we are finishing Captain Berezuk shows up, orders us to vacate in five minutes, the women are waiting to take advantage of the stream, no more soldiers for a while. Glad I did not procrastinate got rid of some of the grime and take the opportunity to wash my clothes yet again.
              We have been informed by lieutenant Beedle that we have reached Kentucky. In appreciation the ‘loyal’ folks of Kentucky are going to honor us with a dinner tonight. Hurrah for Kentucky! Will they join us? Will the men rally to the cause and join our army? An officers reception dinner is planned, some of the locals of note will be attending. We are free till later, I lie on the ground and make some entries into my journal while listening to Rob Carter detail the exploits of the ‘crack’ Emperors Mess ,and how they saved the day, driving off the bush whackers, rescuing two of their comrades . Jay has negotiated some kind of drink from Larry, he carries it in his boot, wonder why? We are told to dress appropriately for the festivities, I have been volunteered to escort the ladies from their camp to the Officers soirée’. I am appreciative at this delightful turn of events. At least after a bath and change of clothes I’m not quite as offensive as before.
              Mr. Trent, whom I‘ve heard rumors has made overtures to settle his dispute with Sergeant Hicks , decides to approach our camp to use an outhouse adjacent to the cabin, he claims as he walks by us that he has the right to use it and that the teamsters told him it was okay. Don’t take to too much note of this and Mr. Trent proceeds on his way. Shortly after, a commotion in the direction of said outhouse is heard. I didn’t witness it, but was told some nameless persons had locked him in the outhouse and then banged on it loudly. A rather disturbed Mr. Trent emerged after his release and scurried out of camp. Sometime later, he struck an agreement with the good sergeant, for the coffee that had been in dispute. The matter seemed settled finally but as we found out later from Sergeant Hicks, he was sold a mixture of coffee and mostly chicory, not enhancing the reputation of Mr. Trent in our opinion.

Escorted two of the lovely ladies to the officer’s dinner, then took my place on line for supper. I’ve punched another hole in my belt since we began this march. We are formed up as a company with plate in hand. Major Murray steps forward to address us citing that the loyal citizens of Kentucky welcome us as deliverers from the Yankee invader. Three cheers for Kentucky.
              Dinner is served, a kind of hot stew of rice, vegetables and several kinds of meat with some pickled delicacies also provided. Next we all line up again and pass by the open cabin window where a shadowy fellow (The Major) pours us each a cold libation. All around people and soldiers are seated on logs and ground cloths enjoying this marvelous repast.
              Showtime! Rob Carter entertains with melodious renditions of ‘On St Crispin’s Day’, ‘Will You Go Lassie’, ‘Old Dan Tucker ‘and a few others. Silas plays his banjo near the fire. Later we are regaled with an impromptu play depicting the battle exploits of the “Emperors Mess’ by the Emperor’s Mess, a narrative of the day’s epic battle. They are resplendent in their laurel wreaths and togas? The audience is on its feet applauding. Bobo does a dance and Silas sings Angelina Baker.
              What a pleasant night, the stars are innumerable in the dark night sky; the Milky Way is plainly visible. The evening is clear and cooling down. Our after dinner conversation drifts to our gallant forces under Kirby Smith here in Kentucky, why do the Yankees invade us? Will Kentucky rally to the Southern cause? We can crush the Yankees under Nelson if we move now.
              Todd is looking to get up another card game, some of the boys join in, and we play till 11 oclock or so, tired from this long and eventful day, I roll up in my blanket and try to get some sleep.

Saturday August 7th 1862
              Sergeant Hicks wakes us at 5:30 am; the morning is cool and clear. Roll up my blanket and stow my gear. Pull on my shoes which have finally been broken in or my feet have been broken in not sure which is the case. We form up for roll call at 6:00 am as is our custom and prepare to march up to the teamster’s camp. We form our line and cheer several of our officers, NCO’s and others and march off into Kentucky.

This is a true account of my service with the 57th Georgia to the best of my recollection,as we accompanied the wagon train of Kirby Smith through Tennessee and into Kentucky. My apologies for miss spelt names and any inaccuracies as I report only how I heard and witnessed these events.
              YHOS
              Private Robert Hutton
              57TH Georgia Infantry Company ‘A’
              Leadbetter’s Brigade
              Heth’s Division
              Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"

Comment

apologies for posting twice
                Bob Hutton:)

14th NC "Wild Cats"