Joining the 1st

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joining the 1st

Putting in a marker for this event. The event will be "Joining the 1st". Part of the 1st MO Inf. (Confederate) was raised in Memphis. They then moved to New Madrid in August of 1861 and recruited men from the Bootheel area in August of 1861. The New Madrid Guards, a local militia, became Co. I in the newly formed regiment. While this won't be held on any 150th anniversary, I think it will be a good precursor to the following events. Plus, I don't want to plan two events in the same year.

Mosquitoes, heat and humidity are too bad to do this in August. So, I am setting a date of Oct. 1-3 for the event. This will separate us from Westville by about 3 weeks so confliction should be minimal I hope. The event will be an early war recruiting event with speeches, militia musters, enlistment, voting for officers etc. This can have a mixture of military, militia and a large civilian aspect.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Re: Joining the 1st

Sorry for a dumb question, but would this be at Hunter-Dawson?

Good chance for some to see the Riley overcoat....
    John Pillers
    Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Not a dumb question at all. Yes, it will be at Hunter-Dawson State Historic Site. You can get some info on the site at http://www.mostateparks.com/hunterdawson.htm.
      Michael Comer

Comment

Mike ,

You had me with I am putting on an event

RM
        Rod Miller
        [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
        A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
        1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
        1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
        1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
        1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
        Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
        1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
        Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

I will don the gray wool for this event. :)
          Ron Mueller
          Illinois
          New Madrid Guards

"How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg?
          Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn't make it a leg."
          Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Mike
            I'm all over this one. I have a repro of the 1st Mo's flag I'll bring it.
            The first time in 20 years I will have been able to use it in its proper context.
            Frank
            Frank Aufmuth
            When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Mike are you going to raise more than one company??

RM
              Rod Miller

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
              A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary

Comment

Rod,

The event will focus around the New Madrid boys that formed Co. I in the 1st MO. However, that leaves room for quite a few folks. Real companies had more men than most of our reenacting companies.

There will also be quite a bit of room for civilian roles and there will be room for some to portray men already in Confederate service having joined the 1st MO in Memphis before coming up to New Madrid.

Was there a particular reason why you were wanting to know about multiple companies?
                Last edited by Michael Comer; 10-16-2009, 08:01 AM.
                Michael Comer

Comment

Frank,

I didn't know you had a repro of the 1st MO flag. That is most excellent! At the end of the event I plan for us to march down Main St to the river which is what the real boys did. They boarded riverboats there and headed East; most to never return to their Missouri homes. That flag will look good in the column.
                  Michael Comer

Comment

Mike,
                    Not really. does that mean that we will have the chance this time to be locals insteaqd of invaders. Ha HA

PS- I would be happy to purchase the coffe for this one.
                    Rod Miller

A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary

Comment

I'll post more "educated" stuff on this later but just an FYI. Joseph Boyce mentioned that they had British muskets. Ordnace Reports from their regiment and others (Namely the 5th Missouri) Suggest they were ".75 and .69 cal. British Muskets." Possibly some of the same ones captured by "Old Hickory." Himself at New Orleans. Around the time of Shiloh, Boyce mentions that the muskets were still flint. On that note last time I was at Grand Gulf, Mississippi they had one of these on display in the museum. However the entire lock and breach area were missing.
                      The Missourian's were there in '63 when Grant started his landing at Bruinsburg at the begining of the Vicksburg campaign. Although by '63 I know they had also been visited by Jefferson Davis and had been issued enfields by then.
                      For those of you that were at Lost Tribes, 2 men with Tom Yearby had converted British .75's and they were repro's. Part of the reason many of you didn't see me was that I was too busy geeking out over them.

Also I'd like to think that their Lt. Col. Rich was a man of my own heart. They called him "Lt. Col. Double Quick." (Another Missouri Squirrel on Mesquline) For those of you that have suffered an event with me or have been through one of my battalion drills this was the man who inspired me. He liked to drill the regiment at the Double Quick.
                      He was notorious for pulling officers out of line and making them command the regiment during the regimental drills. He was also known for his Chalk Board at officer's call and calling on various officers having them instruct the various evolutions...Woe to the man who could not perform. He was mortally wounded at Shiloh.

With your permission I'll go through my papers and share what I have here. Although their uniforms in the '61-'62 time frame seem to be a mystery there are a lot of clues about the rest of the material culture.

Mike if you want any help coming up with guidelines I will be glad to help out in anyway that I can. This regiment has been my true passion since I got into this hobby.

Frank Aufmuth

P.S...and the whistle came from them too.
                      Frank Aufmuth
                      When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Your help is always most welcome Frank. I'll get with you in the future and we'll hammer some guidelines out.
                        Michael Comer

Comment

Now if you were doing the 5th, I'd be there in a jot. My ancestors are 5th Missouri (CS) and 9th VA cavalry.
                          Bill Cross
                          The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Well, the 5th and 1st ended up being brigaded together in 1862 and, with other Missouri units, formed one of the best all around fighting brigades on either side of the war.
                            Michael Comer

Comment

Reuben Chapman and his brother-in-law, John Thomas Adams, joined the 5th. Reuben died of measles, while John was mortally wounded at Kennesaw Mountain. Another brother, Alexander Campbell Chapman, joined the Arkansas cavalry. After the war, he married an Alabama woman and settled in Waxahatchie, TX.
                              Bill Cross
                              The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Working...
                              X