Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Joining the 1st

Good morning Hunt
    I'll be visiting the states from Australia for purely ACW reenactment events and trips to historical sites, from Sept-Oct 2010.

Your "Joining the First" event fits in nicely, I can be there appropriately uniformed/clothed etc, but will need a loaner long arm of some sort.
    Is that possible?

Thanks for your consideration
    "Lance Stifle"

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
    Your help is always most welcome Frank. I'll get with you in the future and we'll hammer some guidelines out.

Comment

I'm sure I can fix you up with something weapon-wise.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Mike, let me know what I can do to help.

Paul Arnold
        Paul Arnold

Comment

Thank you, I'll confirm more closer to the date, please consider me as being there.

"Lance Stifle"

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
          I'm sure I can fix you up with something weapon-wise.

Comment

Im in... Ill play any roll you would like. I think some musicians could be a goodroll in the event?

DD
            Christian Jebb

(Double D)

Comment

Just wanted to put a little info about how the organization will be for this.

Guidelines will be forthcoming in the near future but the breakdown will be that participants will have a choice of three impressions to choose from. You may do a 1st MO Inf. impression which will be an early war Confederate look, a New Madrid Guards impression which will be a civilian/state guard, pre-war militia look and a civilian impression. At this point, there is no limitation on how many can do any of the impressions. I would foresee only the New Madrid Guards being limited since we are portraying the men who formed Co. I so numbers will need to hopefully match but certainly not exceed the original.

There will be some patriotic speeches, plus one or two Unionist type stump tirades, the enlistment process, and drill as the Guards are taught some of the finer points of soldiering. A good sized civilian contingent is welcome at this since this would be an exciting time - the war is new, patriotism is high and there are dreams of valor and glory among many. General Bowen is here to raise men for the Confederacy, Governor Jackson is in town and New Madrid is an important place in 1861. Excitement is running high among among all involved.

The men that formed the 1st MO left a combat record equaled by few units in the Civil War from Shiloh to Corinth, Iuka, Champion Hill, Vicksburg, the Atlanta campaign, Franklin and finally Ft. Blakely at Mobile, where decimated by the war and few in number, they were overrun by superior forces. Although often overlooked, they were part of a brigade that served with great honor and were often looked to when times called for a true group of shock troops.

Joining the 1st will be held on the grounds of Hunter-Dawson State Historic Site, which is one of the facilities I manage for the Missouri State Park System. A little more info on the site can be found here:

For temporary closures related to weather, stewardship activities and maintenance, visit our Park and Site Status Map. Hunter-Dawson State Historic Site preserves a now-vanished part of Missouri: the stately Bootheel mansion. Filled with original pieces purchased by the house's first owner and furnished in the style it was in during its heydays of the 1860s-1880s, the ornate
              Michael Comer

Comment

Sir,
                I reenact in the 1st Mo Battalion. I think some of the men in our battalion and I would like very much to be a part of this. Any part where we are needed. I am a Major in this battalion and was Captain of Co. E 4th Missouri Regiment for 5 years. Of course you know the 4th was consolidated with the 1st. Missouri history in general and the Missouri Brigades in particular are my passion. We have an event planning meeting in January and if we are welcome I would put all my influence into supporting this. I think I could get a couple of dozen men & 1/2 a dozen women at the least. I would stress that there is no deviation from the guidelines whatsoever. We have some very good men.
                "Bowen's division sustained its reputation by making one of its grand old charges, in which it bored a hole through the Federal army, and finding itself unsupported turned around and bored its way back again" - Gen. Pemberton's chief engineering officer

Sam Looney
                1st Missouri Battalion
                Trans-Mississippi Brigade

CWPT

Comment

Sam,

Anyone willing to meet the guidelines and work on an appropriate impression, will be welcome to attend the event. I would hope this event will have some special meaning for Missourians.
                  Michael Comer

Comment

Mike,
                    I know it's several months away, but let me know how I can help. I realize that there's a lot of behind the scene and prep work that needs to be done. I plan on keeping several days prior to the event open to assist you anyway I can with the grunt work.

Dan Hill
                    Dan Hill
                    New Madrid Guards
                    "The education of a man is never completed until he dies." Robert E. Lee

Marmaduke's Raid 2008
                    Lost Tribes 2009
                    Bummers 2009
                    Twin Rivers - Co A. 44th Indiana - 2010
                    Camp Jackson - 2011
                    Morning Sun - 2012
                    Vicksburg is the Key - 1st-4th Consolidated Missouri Inf. - 2013
                    Chickamauga 150 - 2013
                    Tennessee on the Brink - 2014
                    Pilot Knob - 14th MO CS - 2014
                    Franklin - Co. A 44th Missouri Inf. US - 2014
                    Helena - 33rd Missouri US - 2015
                    Fort Blakeley - 2017
                    Corinth Living History - 6th Missouri Infantry- 2018
                    The Assault on Fort Blakeley - 1st/3rd MO Dismounted Inf. - 2019
                    Missouri 1861 - MMFF - 2019

Comment

Mike
                      We need drummers and fifers and they need to be used in making routine camp calls and etc. Those calls should be the "clock" of the camp.
                      According to Joseph Boyce:
                      The Regiment had a fife & drum corps made up of 20 boys 14 to 16 years in age.
                      According to the Kennerly scrapbook: James kennerly, the band master, would throw down his drum at Shiloh and seize a musket.

"The calls were the same as those used in the U.S. regular Army" (Boyce)

If any of you out there are drummers or fifers and you know the camp calls we need you.
                      Frank Aufmuth
                      Frank Aufmuth
                      When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Any idea when a website will be up and running that would have all the military and civilian guidelines?This sounds like an event well worth going to.
                        Ron Moen
                        Co.A, First Texas Infantry (Retired)
                        CWPT
                        E Clampus Vitus

Comment

Ron,

Don't know much about websites but I guess I could give it a go. Guidelines are being worked on and researched and are very close to being ready. We should be posting info by the first of the year.

Thanks for your interest in the event.
                          Michael Comer

Comment

Sounds like a great event. I hope to be able to make this one.
                            Marvin Boyce

Comment

Mr. Boyce
                              Are you any relation to Joseph Boyce?
                              Frank Aufmuth
                              Frank Aufmuth
                              When you hear my whistle, Hell will be upon you.

Comment

Originally posted by Campjacksonboy View Post
                                Mr. Boyce
                                Are you any relation to Joseph Boyce?
                                Frank Aufmuth
                                Not that I know of, most of my ancestors were coming out of Texas at that time. I'll have to look it up.
                                Marvin Boyce

Comment

Working...
                                X