Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Flintlock Company for C-m- L-e 1861/2011

Boys,
    We have received a go from the event organizers. The Flintlock company will be portraying the Louisa Greys, who arrived in Richmond in their civilian clothes with a collection of motley flintlock weapons and mixed accoutrements, as far as we can tell. If anyone is looking for a good cartridge box, check out this offer on the buy/sell forum: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ad.php?t=24708

While we prefer all weapons to have modern markings removed (anyone competent with a dremel tool can do this, and access to a punch set means you can put the serial number on the underside of the barrel), exceptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Model 1777 Charlevilles, including Pedersoli's first attempts at M1816 contract muskets, which have the M1777 style stock with the cut-out, will be accepted, along with all other styles of musket that feature the key characteristics of the contract and arsenal pieces produced or otherwise available in Virginia during this period. Obviously Virginia Manufactury muskets will be encouraged where they can be fielded. No Charlesvilles earlier than the M1763 will be allowed-- i.e. for those folks who have Indian-repopped 1728 Charlevilles, we just can't stretch the bounds of reality that far unless you can present convincing documentation of their use. Likewise, Brown Bess and other British muskets will be frowned upon. I'm trying to run a fine line here between those folks who can drop $5,000 on an original or dead-to-rights repro, and others who have the interest in this unique interpretive offering but lack the bank account to muster in with a completely accurate weapon. While this policy may be disappointing to some, social history comes as the first priority to me, so if you have the right attitude, and are committed to portraying the Louisa Greys as accurately as we can within modern limitations, we will work with you to the best of the events coordinators' abilities.

The only news in regards to command structure is that, having polled a variety of people, I will be commanding this company. Discussions are currently on-going with some experienced folks who should be willing to fill the NCO slots. Please pass the word around to your friends and contacts who might be interested in this opportunity. Visit the Westville Event homepage to get an idea of the variety of civilian clothing acceptable for the Louisa Greys impression. As always, feel free to contact me with any questions or comments.
    Yours in The Cause,
    Will Tatum
    Lil' Bastid Mess

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Would a gent armed with an 1803 Harpers Ferry rifle, which has been altered to the 1814 style, be allowed to join in?
      Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Master Tatum,

Put me down for the Company....I should be able to make the event and sounds interesting

Neal

Comment

Will
          Can you tell us more about this company. Maybe the narrative behind the civilian clothing, flinters, various accouterments? I'd love to read more about it.
          Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Gil, right now the emphasis is on flintlock muskets, which is what the company seems to have been armed with. We will be discussing the possibility of admitting other flint arms on an as-needed basis, but the likelihood at this time is that we will stick to the arsenal-style musket rule.

Neal, Glad to have you aboard!

Drew, Much of the research for this impression was carried out by Paul Bolden, who currently has his hands full with buying his first house, moving, &c. He has shown me some of it, but I do not share other people's work without permission, so will have to wait on him to provide a full view. I will post additional documentation as I find it, though that is currently taking a back seat to finishing my doctoral dissertation. I can report that Paul has manuscript letters from a Virginia archive, written by a private in the Louisa Grays in 1861, which state that the company did not receive any uniform clothing from the government prior to leaving Louisa County, nor while they were in Richmond. Hence the default position of civilian clothing, with perhaps some limited commutation items. The Westville event regulations provide the best general overview of men's immediate ante-bellum clothing of which I am presently aware and are an excellent starting point for those folks who have not delved into the civilian side of the equation before.

I will post more documentation as it becomes available, and apologize for not being able to provide more lengthy answers at this time.
            Yours in The Cause,
            Will Tatum
            Lil' Bastid Mess

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Richmond Daily Dispatch, May 25, 1861

"Correspondence of the Richmond Dispatch.
              the Louisa Grays.

Green Springs, Louisa county. May 23d, 1861.

The Louisa Grays, numbering 70 men, and commanded by Capt. Sargent, a graduate of the Military Institute, left here yesterday for their encampment in Richmond. They are brimful of courage and patriotism, understand well the justice of our cause, and will prove themselves, in camp and field, amidst privation and danger, Revolutionary soldiers. They were accompanied to the depot by all of their neighbors and friends, and many a prayer will be offered during their absence for their safety and speedy return. Each man received from one of the young ladies in our neighborhood (Miss S.) a Bible, which was delivered with an affecting address and benediction by the Rev. Charles Dickinson. With the love and fear of God in their hearts, they have nothing to fear from man. "
              Yours in The Cause,
              Will Tatum
              Lil' Bastid Mess

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Originally posted by MuleyGil View Post
                Would a gent armed with an 1803 Harpers Ferry rifle, which has been altered to the 1814 style, be allowed to join in?
                No. Documentation from the compiled QMD/Ordnance Records for the "Louisa Greys" shows us that they were receiving "0.69 cal. Musket Ball Ammunition" & "Flints" from May 1861 - January 1862, when the company captured the Federal stores at Bath & Romney (at which point they were re-equipped with Yankee Muskets). Knowing that these men were armed with muskets (NOT RIFLES), the use of rifles in this company will not be permitted.

Will: That's an excellent quote from the (Richmond) Daily Dispatch!

Drew: I'll have to dig through my notes, but the transcriptions we have from the letters from Pvt. George Harlow of the Louisa Greys indicates that within 1-2 days of the company's departure from Richmond for their sojourn West to Staunton, more than half the company was still without any uniform clothing. The period being portrayed for this event is upon the company's arrival in Richmond City and to Camp Lee; therefore virtually every man in the company will be in Civilian Clothes. Naturally Civilian Impressions should correspond to societal class - the majority of men forming this company were rural farmers. This does not mean that every individual participating in this company should be in rags, but that will be discussed in process so that the appropriate figures will be represented.

More to come!

Paul B.
                Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                (Loblolly Mess)
                [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
                [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

"No."

Oh, well. Hope y'all have a great event. :)
                  Gil Davis Tercenio

"A man with a rifle is a citizen; a man without one is merely a subject." - the late Mark Horton, Captain of Co G, 28th Ala Inf CSA, a real hero

Comment

Men,
                    As many of you have hopefully seen, Paul Boulden has put out the official announcement for the Camp Lee event. Our dates are May 19-22, 2011: please mark them on your calendar now and begin the process of securing those kitchen passes.

If you read the fine print, you will notice that the event is taking place in LOUISA COUNTY, the historic home of our company. As a result, this show will have particular significance for this impression, and we have some plans in the works for special interpretive opportunities for the Louisa Grays, following in the footsteps of the original folks. Membership in this company presents an increasing multitude of chances of enjoying interpretive experiences that are seldom on offer in the hobby. I hope everyone is excited as I am!

We are in the process of getting the clothing regs hammered out, but in the meantime interested parties should be looking to put together a full suit of trousers, waistcoat, and coat. Demographic info is in the works, but for the moment it appears that many of the original Louisa Grays were of the ready-made/home-made clothing economic sector, so form-fitting frocks and paletots should not provide a hurtle. Civilian clothing gathered for the impression will enable participants to enjoy a wider variety of ACW events, particularly with the appearance of additional civilian-focused events and the enlargement of existing ones (such as Westville). You can make that suit of clothes work for a variety of forthcoming events, so it will be a good investment.

While the event coordinators get more details hammered out, I would appreciate it if the folks who have expressed interest in the Louisa Grays so far could send me their email addresses by PM, so that I can get a contact list together and make sure everyone stays updated. Thanks very much for your enthusiasm and support-- this will be a great event for everyone!
                    Yours in The Cause,
                    Will Tatum
                    Lil' Bastid Mess

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Men,
                      Anyone looking to purchase a flintlock for the event or in general would be well advised to follow up on this advertisement:

Yours in The Cause,
                      Will Tatum
                      Lil' Bastid Mess

Esse Quam Videri

Comment

Working...
                      X