March of the California Column, March 23-27, 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March of the California Column, March 23-27, 2011

(NOTE: I post this event notice as an "EBUFU," believing that the event's participation criteria will be fully up to that standard. If the moderators, upon investigation, feel differently, they are welcome to move this post as needed.)

In the Spring of 1862, more than 2,000 California troops, with a small contingent of Regular artillery, marched from southern California into what was then the New Mexico Territory (which included the present state of Arizona). Having expected, when they enlisted, to be sent east to fight rebels, they were sorely disappointed to learn their assignment to duties seemingly less "heroic." Commanded by a former Regular, Col. (later Brig. Gen.) James Carleton, the Column's original purpose was to assist in defeating and driving out of that territory an invading force of Texans, under Brig. Gen. Henry H. Sibley. Unbeknownst to them at the time they entered the Territory, Sibley's reverse at Glorieta Pass (N.M.) had essentially ended the Confederate campaign and put the Texans into full retreat. Nevertheless, the Californians pursued, with detachments eventually reaching, albeit briefly, into western Texas. For the remainder of the war (and even beyond, for some), California troops occupied posts throughout the southwestern U.S., periodically combating hostile Indian tribes.

Of the Column's march, Maj. Gen. Halleck later observed in a letter: "It is one of the most creditable marches on record. I only wish our Army here had the mobility and endurance of the California troops."

March 23-27, 2011 will see a recreation of the Column's epic march, along a portion of the route they actually travelled - the route of the Butterfield Stagecoach -- through northern San Diego County, California. The events website is at:

The marching contingent will depict Co. E, 1st Infantry Regiment, Cal. Vols. The march will cover about 36 miles, over three "marching" days. A significant portion of the march route will actually be on the remains of the old stage road. The march will will cross terrain which begins in "chapparal" type country and ends at an actual desert water hole -- one which the Column troops themselves stopped at -- in the midst of some very harsh, dry desert. One night's stop will be at a (restored/recreated) Butterfield stage station that the Column troops used as a resting place en route. Camping will be strictly "campaign" style bivouacking. Rations issued will be those specified by Col. Carleton (see web site). Uniforms and equipment will be as per Carleton's General Order No. 3 (again, see web site).

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN and closes firmly on Feb. 25, 2011. The march is limited (at least for this initial version) to a maximum of 25 marching men. No walk-ons, no late registrations can be accepted. A copy of the event flyer is attached.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dan Munson; 11-12-2010, 08:27 PM. Reason: Supply omitted important info
    Dan Munson
    Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
    5th Wisc./10th Va.

Re: March of the California Column, March 23-27, 2011

One question- why is the event being limited to only 25?
    Kenny Pavia
    24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Fair question.

The portion of the historic route we will be marching runs in large part through Anza Borrego Desert State Park. We wouldn't even be able to conduct this event without the enthusiastic help of the park staff. They're bending several park rules just letting us carry firearms in the park and making camp fires elsewhere than in regular established campgrounds. But that said, this is the first time anyone has conducted an event like this in or around the park, and the park staff want to be certain that it's not going to result in any significant damage to the trail area. If we pull this off to their satisfaction, we think it's probable the park may "up" the participation limit in future years. There is an upper "historical" limit in any case. The constituent units of the "Column" mostly crossed the California desert to Fort Yuma by companies, spaced one or more days apart. This was due to the low water volumes of the various desert wells along the stage route. It took time for the wells to generate enough water to even supply a company of men and any supporting horse teams. So our event, if permitted by the park authorities (and assuming we could find so many willing participants!), will never exceed the historical size of a company.
      Last edited by Dan Munson; 11-15-2010, 11:26 AM. Reason: Correct typos and other missteaks
      Dan Munson
      Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
      5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

Will there be CS in this event?

I really don't believe I could commit regardless, because of a huge school load next semester, but I have SO wanted to repay the West Coaster's and the many friends I have made out there.
        they have been so supportive of the big campaigner (i.e. vast movement events) over the years. They are always there.

Lads, this looks to be a year of almost no campaign (movement/challenging) events, I hope we in the trans miss, "west" and east support them.

I'm gonna try!
        Jay Stevens
        Tater Mess
        Independent Volunteers
        Iron Man Mess
        Reenactor Preservation Coalition
        Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
        Lost Tribes, October 2009
        Bummers, November 2009
        Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
        The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
        In the Van, August 2010
        Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

March 23-27, 2011.

Less than four months from now? A five day marching event ? Just the type of event I thrive on. Unfortunately however.... with it being announced with less than a 120 days prior to execution, I can not re-arrange my vacation days to accommodate. I wish you had put this out about 12-18 months in advance... in that manner it would have been easy to get this on my calendar, and my vacation days figured out (don't forget the necessary travel days, etc).

Having spent a good part of 21 years out at camp Pendleton, I know N. San Diego County pretty well. I'd have greatly enjoyed an event such as this one. It's good to see such efforts out there.

Good luck.
          Brian Hicks
          Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

I would love to go on this one. I was born and raised in that area of the march. Hiked marched it 100's of times.
            Hope it all goes will.
            Jim "Doc" Bruce
            War means fightn and fightn means killn.
            L 'audace, l 'audace, Toujours l 'audace.
            Every man must know his limitations.

Comment

Responding to Jay (#4 above): No Confederates for this event. This march will recreate the actual march of California troops, in March 1862, over the very route we will be marching (hmmm…too much “march” in that sentence!). There was no contact with any pro-CSA elements during this particular movement through southern California -- although a few months previously, elements of various California units had been busy trying to interdict pro-CSA groups attempting to leave the state in the direction of Texas (among which groups was one Albert Sidney Johnston). Glad to learn of your interest, and we’re sorry you can’t make it this time…but see my response to Mr. Hicks.

Responding to Brian Hicks (#5 above): I hear you regarding the apparent short notice. It has taken FOREVER to work out arrangements with the state and county authorities. We put this event notice up on AC with only scant hope of netting any of you guys from “back east” for THIS first edition of the march. So, we’re going to do this first stab with whatever bodies we can round up who can meet our criteria. If nothing else, it will be a pilot event, to identify unforeseen kinks and work them out. If it all goes well, it is our intention to make this an annual, or at least bi-annual, event. So, if events like this sound like your cup of tea, you folks may get a chance at a future edition. (And Mr. Hicks, you are one fella we’d really love to have with us -- several of us still have many fond memories of BGR in 2007!).
              Dan Munson
              Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
              5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Munson View Post

Responding to Brian Hicks (#5 above): I hear you regarding the apparent short notice. It has taken FOREVER to work out arrangements with the state and county authorities. We put this event notice up on AC with only scant hope of netting any of you guys from “back east” for THIS first edition of the march. So, we’re going to do this first stab with whatever bodies we can round up who can meet our criteria. If nothing else, it will be a pilot event, to identify unforeseen kinks and work them out. If it all goes well, it is our intention to make this an annual, or at least bi-annual, event. So, if events like this sound like your cup of tea, you folks may get a chance at a future edition. (And Mr. Hicks, you are one fella we’d really love to have with us -- several of us still have many fond memories of BGR in 2007!).
                Sounds like a good plan. If all goes well and you can do this again in a year or two (or three), I hope to be able to participate.

On a side note... I hope the torrential rains these past few days haven't washed your routes out.
                Brian Hicks
                Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Originally posted by BrianHicks View Post
                  On a side note... I hope the torrential rains these past few days haven't washed your routes out.
                  Considering the torrential rains in California during 1861 that would only add to the authenticity. ;-) My registration has been sent in Dan.

HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF THE PACIFIC
                  San Francisco, Cal.,
                  January 31, 1862

Col. James H. Carleton,
                  Colonel First Regiment of Infantry, California Volunteers:

COLONEL:
                  My proposition to the General-in-Chief to organize an expedition under your command, to consist of your own regiment, the First Cavalry Regiment, and a light battery, to move from the southeastern frontier of this States, was immediately approved at headquarters.

The objects of the expedition you are fully aware of-the recapture of all our forts in Arizona and New Mexico, driving the rebel forces out of that country or capturing them, and opening the southern mail route. Every exertion has been and is still being made to provide your command with everything necessary to insure success, and had it not been for the unprecedented continuance of the rain, [emphasis added] which made it impossible for the troops or wagons to move, an advance could have been made before this time.

The light artillery battery, Company A, Third Artillery, commanded by First Lieutenant Shinn, is now at the Presidio, and will be sent to you as soon as the roads are passable. Four companies of the cavalry and seven companies of the Fifth Infantry have already been sent to your district. The remainder of the Fifth will be sent down soon.

I desire that you dispose of these troops in the manner you may deem best calculated to preserve the peace and quiet of the district. When you finally advance, the command of the district of Southern California will be devolved on Colonel Bowie or the senior officer then present.

I do not consider it necessary to be more minute in regard to the object to be accomplished or the mode of effecting it; with the first you are well acquainted, and as far as the second, I take great pleasure in assuring you that I confide everything to your well-known skill, zeal, and gallantry. I shall take occasion to write to you again before you commence your march, and give you all the information possible.

Wishing you success, I am, colonel, yours, most truly,
                  G. WRIGHT,
                  Brigadier-General, U. S. Army, commanding.

Source: ORs Series I Vol 4 Page 90-91
                  Also, while we are talking about California Events, Registrations are needed for the 2nd Infantry Regiment, California Volunteers at Fort Tejon State Historic Park event (February 4-6, 2011). This event focuses on authentic Civil War era garrison life and provides a good opportunity to spend the weekend living in the original 1850's adobe barracks. Sean Mallis or Bill Picking can be contacted for more information. I plan to drive over from Phoenix, AZ for it if anyone wants to carpool.
                  Last edited by AZReenactor; 12-23-2010, 09:23 AM.
                  Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                  1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                  Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Kudos to those who organized this little stroll through the mountains and deserts of Southern California. I'm glad I was there.

Can't wait to do it again in March 2012 for the 150th Anniversary of Company E's march over this road.

Comment

Yes indeed I was glad to be there as well. Thank you to all those who put this event together. I also look forward to 2012 for the 150th anniversary of this march.

Thank you to all who were there for such a great time.
                      Andy Mouradian
                      JayBirds Mess

"Snap it up, shake the lead."

[IMG]http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m400/westernreb/JaybirdMess-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Any info about 2012?
                        Silas Tackitt,
                        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

17 miles per day. This marching is not much to brag of

Transcribed this recently and thought some here might find it of interest.

THE FIRST CALIFORNIA VOLUNTEERS ON THE MARCH
                          (From an occasional correspondent)

Rancho Temascal, San Bernardino County,
                          October 19,1861

Col. West’s command of the companies 1st California Volunteers is encamped at this place tonight, en route for Fort Yuma. Maj. Eyre, with three companies 1st California Cavalry is on his way to San Bernardino. The two detachments parted company at the Chino ranch this morning.

We left Camp Latham at 12 m. on the 16th and arrived here today at 3 p.m. 68 miles, on an average of 17 miles per day. This marching is not much to brag of but it is a very excellent performance for green troops. Tomorrow we push on, and I presume will be kept moving steadily until we reach our destination.

The men stand the tramp remarkably well. There are a few footsore, of course; but the majority of them, relying upon a stout heart and ditto shoes, march along gaily. The route step enables us all to crack our jokes and sing our songs, and thus enliven the way. Each company takes the lead from day to day and the head of the column pays off its obligations of the preceding day to its predecessor with a will. The City boys (Capt. Robert’s men from Sacramento) have pitted themselves against the Mountaineers (Capt. Greene’s of Nevada,) and a generous rivalry exists as to which can do the most marching. We are all kept under restraint, however, and are not allowed to go too fast. At 6 a.m. we have struck our tents, had breakfast, and are in line for the road. Then the Colonel orders out the sick, sore and sorry, in front of each company, and a man must be either clearly broken down or tell a very plausible story before he gets a berth in the ambulance or a standee on the train. Today ,about 20 had to ride, but there will scarcely be so many tomorrow, as the men are getting tougher and the weather cooler.

We hear little about Secession. Some small parties who profess to be returning to Texas on peaceful missions are in our neighborhood. They adopt two precautions — one to keep well armed, the other to keep out of our sight or reach. You can draw your own inferences as their intentions.

SAN FRANCISCO EVENING BULLETIN
                          Tues, Oct. 29 , 1861

Comment

Gents - just throwing it out there, but if the California Column event is being done again this coming year, it would coincide nicely with this one...

After all, while you boys were headed to New Mexico, we were on our way back to Texas.....I know the event you fellows put on last year was excellent. We would like to do the same here. Perhaps there is a way to look at these separate but interrelated events and come up with a new way to approach them?

Rich Libicer
                            Rich Libicer
                            Fugi's Brown Water Mess

6th North Carolina - 150th First Manassas, July 2011
                            4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Valverde, February 2012
                            6th Mississippi Adjunct - 150th Shiloh, April 2012
                            4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Glorieta Pass, May 2012
                            21st Arkansas Adjunct - 150th Prairie Grove, December 2012
                            5th Confederate, Co. C - 150th Chickamauga, September 2013
                            Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

Working...
                            X