Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Campaigner Battalion for Wison's Creek

Mike, et al....

It is looking like we might be on break for part of this..... I am giddy, but trying to reign in my enthusiasm if they change everything on me. This is the ONE event I wanted to hit this year. So very unique and a change from the same-ole/same-ole. Don't get me wrong I love good AOT/ANV, but this is a chance to do something so rare and different. Plus, if you have never seen the battlefield or Pea Ridge (about 30 minutes away) you are missing out. I believe the have been consistantly ranked in the top 5 most beautiful battlefields.

Anyway, Mike I will be in touch offline. Gosh I hope I can make this. Especially since you can start as early as wednesday or thursday and do some campaigning/marching/skirmishing.
    Jay Stevens
    Tater Mess
    Independent Volunteers
    Iron Man Mess
    Reenactor Preservation Coalition
    Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
    Lost Tribes, October 2009
    Bummers, November 2009
    Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
    The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
    In the Van, August 2010
    Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Here's who I show on the registered list as of the last update. I know many of you have contacted me saying you have registered or are in the process of registering. Keep an eye on the list to see if you show up on it. If not, let me know and I'll look into it. Remember, the deadline is July 1 , so get them in.

Comer, Michael
      Aufmuth, Frank
      Aufmuth, Sam
      Aufmuth, Xavier
      Hill, Dan
      Kasmar, Andrew
      Kupsch, Mike
      Helvey, Christopher
      Lipe, Aaron
      McAllister, Patrick
      Snyder, Jeremy
      Weik, Thom
      Yearby, Tom
      Jenkins, Johnnie
      Baker, Fred
      Carr, Brett
      Graves, Seth
      McCarty, Brian
      Mobley, Cody
      Royers, Ron
      Shelton, Stacie
      Spain, John
      Lauderdale, Jim
      Erickson, Paul
      Leggans, Terry
      Richardson, Greg
      House, Scott
      Rector, Matthew
      Graf, Phil
      Stamos, Christopher

Read more: http://wilsonscreek.proboards.com/
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

I am not part of the campaigner battallion, but am going to this event. Myself and a pard intend on doing the march and NPS program the 10th-11th but have not heard anything from any of the "higher ups" as to how this will be handled. Nobody else in our group intends to do the march so do we just fall in with whoever is there in camp that afternoon? That's the sense I get from the websites of both Cleburne's and the First Federal Division--show up in camp and go. Seems kind of loose to do it that way. Does anyone have more knowledge about that?

Also, here is a link to an NPS archaeological study on the recovered artifacts from Wilson's Creek found from 2000-2008. It makes for very, very interesting reading. I find it notable that the use of civilian weapons during the battle is estimated at 1% based on recovered artifacts during the study and by proportion housed at the old General Sweeny museum. I spent a week at the site last summer as part of a National Endowment for the Humanities course and this study was referenced as the most current battlefield research. Lengthy, but very good information throughout the document.

Best wishes,

Alexander Vasquez

Comment

I want to thank those that are registered. They are still coming in and I will post a registered list again after the next update. As so often happens at events, the deadline has been extended until July 15 so if you weren't sure of plans etc, you have a bit longer to get registered.
          Michael Comer

Comment

Originally posted by Alexander Vasquez View Post
            I am not part of the campaigner battallion, but am going to this event. Myself and a pard intend on doing the march and NPS program the 10th-11th but have not heard anything from any of the "higher ups" as to how this will be handled. Nobody else in our group intends to do the march so do we just fall in with whoever is there in camp that afternoon? That's the sense I get from the websites of both Cleburne's and the First Federal Division--show up in camp and go. Seems kind of loose to do it that way. Does anyone have more knowledge about that?

Best wishes,

Alexander Vasquez
            Alexander,

I am not sure about many of the details on the march either but I'm sure that will come out as more details are worked out. The organization may very well be to fall in where you can since the march is at the very beginning of the event and there will be many that won't be able to be there due to work etc so units will not be up to full strength. I know my unit will have a number of fellows that may not be able to be there until Friday evening. We'll have to see how it plays out on that end.
            Michael Comer

Comment

In the Manassas folder is a discussion about wet plate images being done; does anyone know if a wet plate artist will be at Wilson's Creek?

Comment

I hope not!
                Tom Yearby
                Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Don't know.
                  Michael Comer

Comment

About a week left for registration folks. We have 73 members of the discussion group and in the last 24 hours have had over 50 guests on the board but we sure don't have that many registered that I can see. I know there are registrations backed up and are not showing on the registered lists yet so if you have registered it may take a bit to show up. If you have not registered, get it done because time is running out. If you're sitting the fence, get off of it and send in that registration.
                    Michael Comer

Comment

I always tend to hold back, waiting for military men to answer military questions--but knowing the obligations of many of the other folks on the BGA's event committe, I'll speak up, based on the last notes I have.

First--questions regarding the commemorative march on Wednesday. Yes, much of it will be organized on the spot, with the respective branches marching together. Of course, you'll need a full canteen. It will be hot. Additional water support will be provided via the wagons of Cleburns Wagon Corps. Please don't make the march if you aren't up to it--these are not 'sag wagons'. Carry your plunder-you'll sleep on arms, and be provided a period meal by the WC Foundation.

If you do not wish to march, you are welcome to drive to the commemoration. You may not spend the night on site if you did not march in.

Some units already know they will march straight into a non scripted engagement on Thursday. If this is you, plan accordingly.

Wet Plate--yes, there are wetplate photographers on the vendor listing for all BGA events.

We hope y'all will enjoy this event. There should be a decent sized little civilian town to march through to cheers and kisses, or terrorize, depending on your personal preference. Once this whole thing starts, I'm out of the committee business and relegated to what I do best--washing dishes in the back of Wagon Camp.

Uncle Tom---now, you'll just have to get over the embarrassment that that fine image of the Ground Hornets, the Lazy Jacks, you and the Old Major is considered pinup material amongst some circles of hardcore girls who can dress and fry a chicken. After all, y'all did March to that image maker. :wink_smil
                      Terre Hood Biederman
                      Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                      Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Oh, and for all the Billy Yank and Johnnie Reb come latelies---please don't call or email the Registrar 24 hours after you late register to find out why you're not on the list yet and when you will be.

There's only one person on the other end of that Registration wire, and they are tearing their hair out right now, because they thought they'd be done by now.

You've got your Paypal receipt, print it out and put it in your wallet. You'll be alright.
                        Terre Hood Biederman
                        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic

Comment

Oh, and for all the Billy Yank and Johnnie Reb come latelies---please don't call or email the Registrar 24 hours after you late register to find out why you're not on the list yet and when you will be.

There's only one person on the other end of that Registration wire, and they are tearing their hair out right now, because they thought they'd be done by now.

You've got your Paypal receipt, print it out and put it in your wallet. You'll be alright.
                          Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

Mike- I'm on board and just registered!

Sure we'll see many more here starting to trickle in. Look forward to breaking bread with many...
                            Jay Stevens
                            Tater Mess
                            Independent Volunteers
                            Iron Man Mess
                            Reenactor Preservation Coalition
                            Friends of Historic Lone Jack

Wyandotte Lodge # 03, AF&AM

Into The Piney Woods, March 2009
                            Lost Tribes, October 2009
                            Bummers, November 2009
                            Backwaters, March 12-14 2010
                            The Fight For Crampton's Gap July 2010
                            In the Van, August 2010
                            Before The Breakout Sept 2010

"If You Want To Call Yourself A Campaigner, You Attend True Campaign Events" -B. Johnson

Comment

Yay Jay!!!

July 15 is the closing date.
                              Terre Hood Biederman

sigpic

Comment

Sos!!!

Having bad luck with event web site; cannot call up registration form to print off or pay online.
                                Anyone else having the same problem?
                                Solution?

Thanks,
                                John Pillers
                                John Pillers
                                Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Working...
                                X