This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projected Manassas temperature

is 100-102 degrees. :omg_smile:omg_smile. This would seem to me (who has been to many hot events, but few, if any, this hot) that extra precautions are in order.

Any docs/EMTs have any suggestions beyond drinking as much water as you can get your hands on?
    Bob Muehleisen
    Furious Five
    Cin, O.

Re: Projected Manassas temperature

Hey pards, As being a heat stroke victim before in my days with the 82nd Airborne infantry. Drink Drink drink water but also know you can over drink which can cause similar syptoms as a heat stroke. This week prior to the event on your ride home from work or during the day step away from the AC and let your body get used to the heat. Also make sure your sodium intake is higher then normal so your body retains water. Also never put ice on top of your head then put your hat back on this could cause your body to go into shock.
    When I had my heat stroke at Ft Bragg I was on a 15 mile road march drank plenty of water the day before and during the march, I felt fine all the way, then 40 yards from the finish line I colasped and had a (108 temp) next thing I remember is waking up in the hospital.
    Just my 2 cents.
    See yall there.
    Tyler Goodrich

Comment

Put one of the chemical activated ice packs in your haversack. Yea I know it's not authentic but you may need it in a hurry. It was hot at the 125th and the pass out rate from the heat was pretty high. There will be many weekday desk jockeys trying to be a soldier that weekend in temperatures they are unaccustom to. Its gonna be messy.
      Jim Mayo
      Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
      http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Where does one pick up some of those chemical activated ice packs.
        Thank You,
        Bill Feuchtenberger
        Co.H
        1st South Carolina Volunteers
        Bill Feuchtenberger

Comment

xxxxxxxxxx
          Last edited by dixieflyer; 07-17-2011, 09:33 PM. Reason: operator headspace and timing
          Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
          Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
          Former Mudsill
          Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Let keep to accurate solutions when posting on this board. Take Tyler's advice, it's sound and it's period. If you choose to take modern alternatives to the event, I can't stop ya and I won't even gripe about it, that's every man's personal choice...but keep it off the AC.
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Justin Runyon[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]; Pumpkin Patch Mess: [/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua]WIG-GHTI[/FONT]
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Organization of American Historians[/FONT]
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Company of Military Historians[/FONT]
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]CWPT, W.M., Terre Haute #19[/FONT][FONT=Book Antiqua] F&AM[/FONT]
            [FONT=Book Antiqua]Terre Haute Chapter 11 RAM[/FONT]

Comment

In addition to keeping well-hydrated, it is important to keep your electrotes in balance. A period alternative to things like Gatorade is to snack on an occasional pickle.
              Thomas Jefferson, who was well-acquainted with Virginia summers is reputed to have said: "On a hot day in Virginia, I know nothing more comforting than a fine spiced pickle, brought up trout-like from the sparkling depths of the aromatic jar below the stairs of Aunt Sally's cellar."
              Mick Cole
              42nd VA Co E

Comment

Apologies Justin. Pickles ARE good, and the vinegar used in the process is one thing that helps. When I was working on a living history farm, the women folk would fix some kind of "cold salad" whose name I cannot remember, but it consisted of chopped veggies like onions, cucumbers, etc. in vinegar. the consistency was really more of a soup or stew than a "salad", but that was the old name for it. In any event, those on the staff who possessed the knowledge explained to me then why vinegar was good for you when working in the heat. I have since forgotten the science behind it, but the lesson remained. Any period intake of vinegar is pretty good for you whether in pickles as Mick pointed out or in some other form, but it is in addition to water.

Wish I could remember the name of that dish. I know Daryl Black remembers eating it. Daryl?
                Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
                Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
                Former Mudsill
                Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

I was thinking today, cucumbers and apples, with a dash of salt.

Comment

It might be prudent for some of the civilians to bring ice in suitable containers. There are several correct means by which I can imagine an easy transfer thereof, especially if someone appears to be in need. It might be good to arrange a signal (if there isn't one in place) to allow someone to take a hit and be assisted off the field to a cooler spot or be sent back to a shady spot as a messenger if the matter isn't urgent enough for more serious medical attention. In these conditions, no one should be shy about a prudent retreat to fight another day (or even another hour).

Heat like this is not to be trifled with and was a very serious concern even in the period when people were acclimated to ordinary summer weather. The Original Cast had no choice, of course, but they also weren't expected to be back at a desk job halfway across the country on Monday.
                    Becky Morgan

Comment

Luckily both days' scenarios should be over by 11am (with a "start" time of 9am) so what we all do in our "off time" will be what makes or breaks you. I work at the Weather Channel here in Atlanta and will try to nail down exact temps w/ humidity levels,etc on Wed. But truth be told (sssh don't tell anyone) we are usually acurate (and I use that term loosely) within 24 hours w/ 48 hours pushing it....either way it'll obviously hot, but, again, the "off scenario" hours are when everyone will have to make wise decisions. There are chances for a few scattered tstorms Saturday and most likely 1 or 2 on Sunday..that can either cool it down a tad OR turn it into a giant sauna...we'll see
                      Aron Price
                      AG

Comment

I have an outdoor job and am used to working in all kinds of weather. I highly recommend steering clear of ice, and drinking cool not cold water.
                        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

From being in Iraq in actual combat for 14 months, I can safely say:

1) Hydrate constantly (know if you are overdoing it, though)
                          2) Cool water is best. Cold water on occasion and in smaller quantities.
                          3) Know how much you sweat- I am one to heavily sweat. I need just about a little more water than your average man. You might need so if you are like me also.
                          4) Use some vinegar in some form as an electrolyte. Don't overdo this either.
                          5) A damp cloth is a good friend.
                          6) EXPECT DISCOMFORT. Being a real soldier in a hot warzone is hard and VERY uncomfortable. I know this from Iraq where temps got up to 120 degrees F routinely and mission didn't stop. You will get but a small potential taste of such conditions (other than bullets) this weekend.
                          7) Your body is used to going in and out of air conditioning and comforts of modern day life- 150 years ago, people were not. Know your limits. Know your comrade's limits. Check each other constantly for symptoms of heat injury. Found here: http://www.thestretchinghandbook.com...t-injuries.php
                          8) Identify EMT/First Responders/Combat Medically-trained personnel in your group and know where they might be in case a you or a comrade falls ill.
                          9) Don't get carried away with the fun to get unsafe. If you see a person doing something unsafe, thell them nicely to stand down and regain his military bearing. Report safety violations to your NCOs and make the chain-of-command work as it is supposed to.

WE ARE ALL SAFETY OFFICERS- KNOW YOUR PART.

All the best- Johnny Lloyd
                          Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 07-18-2011, 08:27 AM.
                          Johnny Lloyd
                          John "Johnny" Lloyd
                          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                          SCAR
                          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

All great points fellas (and Ladies). Beck brought up a good point, that if you feel like you're on the brink of becoming a heat casualty, please don't push it. Just step to the side and take a knee and catch your breath. To Tyler's point, it only takes a second to cross that point of no return.

Weather here in Iowa has been over 100 degrees the last 3 days, and will continue to be so until Thursday. Humidity has been over 80%. I spent as much time as I could outside this weekend, and will be doing the same until we depart for VA on Thursday. Hopefully it won't be AS humid next weekend in VA. Take care of yourselves!
                            V/R
                            [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

With all the points that Johnny made in the above post, another thing we learned in Iraq was watch your skin and the color of your urine. Those two things will give you an early warning.

Comment

Working...
                              X