Thoughts on Manassas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on Manassas

I woke up this morning and thought for a moment that I was still there. I am going to have Manassas induced PTSD...well maybe not that bad. For the rest of my life, I will refer to Iraq as "over there" and refer to Manassas as "there".

Comment

When I came back on Sunday afternoon to fetch my stuff, I was shocked to see the 2nd's camps completely empty. It took some tracking down to find out everyone had bugged out. I will not complain about the decision. As your surgeon I conked out around nine on Friday night and spent a few hours in the "fridge tent" speed chugging Gatorade while the medics kept me hooked to their large tricorder.

I came back Sat. evening to see how things were going. Pretty well, and I saw the ad for the play. Wished I could have stayed for it, but I was done for the weekend. Unfortunately I did not realize we could sneak our cars in Sat. night, otherwise I would have collected my stuff. Hence my surprise on Sun. afternoon when I saw everything - including my surgeon's gear - was gone. Some phone calls revealed that my stuff was "secured" by Col. Owens or one of his staff. I've left messages on his email and on Facebook, but so far I have not heard back. If anyone has information on where my surgeon's equipment is, please email me at bluemasscat at yahoo dot com. I'd like to arrange to get it back at the earliest convenience and if necessary, compensate the holder for his trouble.

Thanking you all in advance, I remain,

Comment

Noah -

I knew you had gone out with the heat, and I also know that you live in the NOVA area, so I took it all home for safe keeping. It is in my garage in Alexandria.

Cheers,
        Joe C.
        former QM Sgt, 2d Miss
        Joseph Caridi
        Washington's Guard/Potomac Legion

Comment

There was no "Bugging-Out". The Leadership would not have allowed that.

Comment

Thank you, Joe!

Mississippi? Bugging out? Heck, no! It's a crying shame that Virginia needed Sons of Mississippi to help her defend her state. but we did our duty anyway.

Comment

Gents,

There was no bugging out whatsoever. The decision to leave was very deliberate and methodical. We had officers call and took a vote. The majority voted to leave early and avoid what we were being told...rumors or not. Had the majority voted to stay we were prepared to do so. Bottom line in my humble opinion is that there was a clear lack of communication and very little attempt to squash the rumors that were going around by the event organizers. It is regretful and I apologize for the mess that was left behind. Never should have happened. Other than that, the 2nd Mississippi was the best looking and best drilled battalion to take the field the entire weekend. No one could match our presence. It was a pleasure working with everyone from the top on down and I look forward to possibly doing it again in the future.

Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer
              Former Adjutant, 2nd Miss.
              Best Regards,

Josh Sawyer

Comment

I'm going to refrain from any other comment other than this: if the person who "borrowed" my original 1816 bayonet would like to return it, I'd be happy to provide an address and return postage. I was quite discouraged to find it missing from my gear. And come Sunday morning, the camp, except for Company D's position, looked like the aftermath of a rock concert. Luckily there were indeed people who came by and picked some stuff up. Publicly and privately I thank Captain Wickett, Lieutenant Fair, and Orderly Sergeant Runyon for a fine job with Co'y D. It was an honor to serve with you.
                Ross L. Lamoreaux
                rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Insofar as "bugging out" is concerned, I can offer the following: I was in Co. G, 2nd Miss. To my knowledge nobody in our company bugged out or had any intention of bugging out, including myself. Although very tired and uncertain if we would even be able participate in Sunday's battle, we were all there as of 10:00 Saturday night. I myself was nearly asleep as I was becoming ill (I had a fever that night and still do). It was the general consensus that we would wait until morning and see how we were then. Several members of the staff, including Col. Owens, had already been down with the heat.

At 10:00 p.m. we were informed by our company commander that event officials had informed them that reenactor parking would be closed at 5:00 a.m. and that no vehicles would be allowed out until "the spectators had left", presumably at 3:00. This did not ring true to us as vehicles had been allowed in and out of the camp virtually the entire day Saturday, and it was obvious to every man jack in our company that by 6:00 or so a general exodus from the event was taking place. Consequently this information was regarded by me and others as nothing more than an attempt by the event organizers to prevent folks from leaving, which was unacceptable to me, my messmates and nearly everyone I talked to in our company.

I myself asked what our command thought of this development, who confirmed my understanding and was informed that the matter had been left up to the company commanders, who had nearly unanimously voted to leave. Some companies were down to just a few men.

If our information was incorrect, then that misunderstanding was created by the event organizers by first allowing cars into camp Saturday (contrary to the registration information), then deciding to enforce this regulation when it became apparent that the circus was leaving town. Why the change? It's not like the weather had gotten any cooler. To claim that folks should have thought differently is unrealistic at best.

I can't speak as to trash in our area. We left no trash were we were camped in the woods. If you're referring to the huge amount of plastic water bottles left scattered around, I doubt they came from our outfit. In any event, it was difficult to police up the area as it was 10:00 at night.

Overall, I thought it was otherwise an extremely well organized event, and my hat goes off to the event organizers for that effort. I understand the difficulties of managing traffic on Pageland Road, but this did not appear to be an issue until everybody started to leave, and the idea that the reason for closing the lot was to prevent traffic snarls on Sunday (or as it was explained to us, it was an "EMS" issue) frankly rang hollow to me then as now. Sorry, I just don't buy it. I paid to participate, not be treated as one of 8700 cash cows for Prince William County.
                  Bob Muehleisen
                  Furious Five
                  Cin, O.

Comment

I was with the 69th NY infantry battalion. Thanks to Scott Buffington, Pete Berezuk and the others who worked tirelessly on organizing and implementation of our battalion. The impressions were top shelf and your knowledge was also great. Yes, it was dang hot (probably the hottest event in my 17 years of reenacting). I think many of us were in survival mode. Thank goodness for some switchel, pickles and lots of water and staying in shade much of the afternoon. We were able to make it thru the entire event, but I can't say it was easy.
                    The battle scenarios were better on Sunday, but my expectations are nevr high at a mainstream event. So, the main thing i sthat we set reasonable expectations at mainstream events and go with the intent of fully supporting their schedule and goals. It would also be great if we would see more of these 'campaigners' at actual c/p/h events.

Just my 2 cents.
                    Jim Butler
                    Last edited by Jim of The SRR; 07-25-2011, 08:18 PM.
                    Jim Butler

Comment

Well said Jim. A reenactment is what you make it. I knew exactly what to expect so I really don't have a reason to complain. I had fun. I was hot but I still managed to get in my 10 mile walk/run on Thursday and Friday. A friend once told me that when you go to a circus that you should expect to see the clowns. I also saw some good impressions. I lost about 40 percent of my brigade but the ones that stayed had a very good time on Sunday. I was out of the parking area and on my way by to Lancaster, SC before noon. We dropped our packs in the staging area Sunday. Being in the woods with the Southern Division was really good and swimming or cooling off in Little Bull Run helped many of my men. Several of our men stripped naked while some females looked on. The men were hot and their only concern was cooling down.
                      Claude Sinclair
                      Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Hotter than blazes, never sweated that much working on the farm or during my youth running track. Enjoyed being back in the field with great people!
                        Last edited by Pious Jeems; 07-25-2011, 10:21 PM.
                        Dean Burchfield
                        [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
                        Cleburnes
                        Hard Case Boys
                        Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
                        Napoléon Bonaparte
                        A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                          25 years ago at the 125th Manassas the members of my future unit said much the same thing - they hoped it would never, ever be that hot again. But it was hotter this time. Like 1987, they hung in there again till the end on Sunday. In talking with them this morning, the EMT's they spoke to said that 11 reenactors of the 140+ treated had to be transported, the rest treated and released on site (AC tents really helped).

I have no idea what happened to the 2nd MS (or the other units that left), but my old comrades did well, enjoyed the spectacle and opined that the impressions were MUCH better this time, with more work put into the 1861 impressions. One unit was entirely dressed as Corcoran's Legion, another 1st Minnesota, Regulars, Marines (about 60 of them) and still another the Fire Zouaves. Must have been grand to see...and confusing. One fun incident I gather was the capture of Matt Woodburn by the 1st Minnesota. Too many red shirts out there :).
                          That actually did happen during the original battle in 1861, Mr. Woodburn played as planned.
                          Dean Burchfield
                          [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
                          Cleburnes
                          Hard Case Boys
                          Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
                          Napoléon Bonaparte
                          A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewMartin View Post
                            With that being said… I’ll be damned if people will look differently at myself and others because of a Saturday exodus from a farby mainstream Manassas event! Get a grip if anyone decides to rip on the 2nd Mississippi for this one. Just my own 3 cents worth.
                            Forgive my ignorance on such matters, but if it was such a damned farby event to begin with (and what it was going to be like was known far, far in advance), then why did such grand fellows as these choose to attend the event in the first place?

Now keep in mind that I'm just one of the many farby mainstream guys who stuck it out for the full event, equally hotter than hades as anyone else in those camps and on the field.
                            And in case anyone needs a sign of credibility, I was at In The Van....six days of similar weather, plus moving wagons and marching for distance each day.
                            We all make our own reasons and our own decisions. Just don't sugar coat 'em.
                            Bernard Biederman
                            30th OVI
                            Co. B
                            Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                            Outpost III

Comment

The Leadership made command decision based on what was happpening then. I made the comment this WAS NOT like the real army....the command kept us updated. Great job to the Commanders and the NCOs

Comment

You know folks, this kind of thread accomplishes nothing.
                                Michael Comer
                                one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
                                X