Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Thoughts on Manassas

Timeout!

These subforums were designed as places for pre-event communication for the companies comprising the Second Mississippi. Some post event communication was also expected. Since created, wider latitude has been given to discussion in this subforum for areas which have not been allowed in most of the forum. However, the discussions herein are beginning to digress into the usual lamentations and recriminations about mainstream events in general.

I'm not sure how to quantify exactly the line of demarcation between what is allowed and what isn't in this special subforum. I will say that this thread is on the verge of going down that slippery slope. That being said, try to keep things related to the Second Mississippi.

Time-in.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I think y'all forgot the:

"I had fun, how about you?"

AAR post!

So far all the reasons you posted for not staying were published in the pre-event info. Known facts were:
      1: it's a mainstream event, what did you expect?
      2: parking was closed until 3pm sunday for all reenactors
      3: heat would be an issue, condition, condition and more conditioning, the weather didn't sneak up on us
      4: same battle scenario on Sunday see #1 fact. The show was for the spectators not us. Check the came, saw, conquered on Sat attitude at the door!
      5: I had to travel 16 hours to get back home. just plain piss poor planning you knew this too before you left and should have planned accordingly.

The fact is the event ended after Sunday's battle and y'all bugged out Sat night. Did you think no one would notice and not say anything?

I will say y'all did look ma'velous in those red battleshirts and had good numbers on Sat!(but looks don't make the man) I now have a differnt opinion of some here on the board now. Sunday was pathetic! And you will say piss on him I don't need to prove myself to him, but its not just me, its all of us who stayed, and waited and drove the long drive home, who had the same situation leaving parking and still stayed. Remember it's perception and 1 wrong move like this creates all kind of bad rep for this end of the hobby. I know the boys of '61 would have stayed! Shame on you!

Bravo Zulu to the event organizers for the liberal dispersment of water and ice for the event. Had you had a spicket in front of your camp you would have complained about the modern intrusion next to/in your camp.
      [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
      Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
      Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
      Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
      The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Totally agree with Mr. Phillips. When I arrived late Wednesday, I fully expected that I would not be on the road home before late Sunday or early Monday so was pleasantly surprised when I was on the road by Sunday afternoon at 2 p.m.
        I had considered falling in with the 2nd MS but decided against it because of health issues that interfere with my ability to fulfill all the duties required of a campaigning soldier. In hindsight, I'm sorry to say that I made the right decision to fall in with a mainstream unit.
        Mick Cole
        42nd VA Co E

Comment

I admit that I'm out of my element now.... Meaning I entered the realm of keyboard campaigning. I'm Hood.... This is Nashville. I just wish some of you guys were as good marching as you are efficient in typing. If I deemed it a waste of time on Saturday night to deal with what was posted that the parking lot was to be locked, then so be it. This was my first major mainstream event. Perryville has been the only other major event I attend. I was greatly disappointed.... My bad. (I guess we just do things a little differently out west here) everything else that I have ever attended are the events we put on. I guess I expected more from a 150th. Shame on me.... But I'll be at Shiloh, and I'll be ready.... I'll take off work Monday and have no issues, but I don't think we will run into parking lot lock downs in western TN.

I'm sure this post will make the mod's cringe a little.... So I'm done on this thread. Either send me a message, or catch me at the next event face to face and we can continue this. Some tend to be a little bold on the "puters".
          Cheers,
          Last edited by AndrewMartin; 07-26-2011, 06:56 AM.
          Andrew Martin
          GHTI/WIG

"Schedule... for anyone who gives a sh*t"
          150TH Manassas July 22-24 2011 (Highlight was finding a 6 pack of piss warm Old Style beer in "Tent City" for $20 bucks! on Sat. best purchase I think I've ever made)
          200th Battle of Tippecanoe Nov. 5-7 2011 (Wow.. a moving and emotional event, had our 4th US Infantry colors dedicated the right way)
          150th Shiloh Mar 30- Apr 1 2012

Comment

Well I was with the mounted 12 pounder out front on Saturday. I was truly impressed by the 2nd MS when we were over run. Excellent impression. It was evident a lot of work and preparation was put forth. I can say though I was disappointed Sunday not to see the 2nd MS lads on the field. Hot work no doubt. I was really looking forward to sending some double canister your way. Great job guys. See ya next time.
            [COLOR="blue"][SIZE="3"]Dave Kennard[/SIZE][/COLOR]
            Burrough's Battery/1st E. TN
            Knoxville, TN

[COLOR="red"][I]"I sure wish I was as good a man as my dog thinks I am"[/I][/COLOR]

Comment

Gents,
              first off thanks to all the men and women who supported the Regiment over the weekend. We all knew we were going into a circus, and things were set into place to limit the impact to the regiment.

-Campsite, we were in the shade and held a great line near a creek. this was because of the effort of the brigade and regimental leadership this happened.
              -IMpression, well we all know that standard to be one of the best on the field along with other campaigner groups in other regiments. acknowleging all the other units such as: 1 Minn, 69th NY, and 4th Alabama to name a few, but NOT exclude others.
              -Commissary- once again Joe, Bill, and travis did a great job! this was my 2nd event working as a commander with them at the helm of logistics and i know that they are top of their game! Thank you!
              -Civilians- the Famers under Pete were also a warm addition, thank you!
              -IM a BEAR!!!! Arron Cooks character in the Play, along with all the men of the Liberty Rifles who preformed that night, truly one of my most period moments at a event!
              -Matt Woodburns Knife throwing contest! Great documented activity!

Bottom line in my opinion it was a success. Although there are some negative comments on this thread i would rather look at those who were in the regiment for feedback and ways to improve the next regimental effort at Shiloh. I appreciate all the outside feedback and suggestions though. Additionally i will not get into a keyboard debate as to the leaderships decision to remove the regiment from the event late sat eve. But know this, it was a group decision not one mans. Again you were not there in camp with us, so please be respectful as to critisims on this manner.

lastly it was hot "Several members of the staff, including Col. Owens, had already been down with the heat." let it be known that I was victim of drinking way toooooo much water, Marvin greer did a great job to ensure that the mounted men were contiuing to drink while we were leading the regiment. I was even in the middle of giving the command to take the 300 man regiment from colum of company into a regimental front when he looked up and said, "sir drink water please!" ha ha.... Also my Going down with the heat was me looking at Mr Craddock and saying he has the regiment, i needed to download some baggage... I proceeded to rid myself of all the water then hop back up and continue the fight. I appreciate several people coming to my aid for the 10 min i was out, their help allowed me to right myself and hop back into the fight. When this happened the regiment was at rest for about 30 min before going back into the fight. One has to know the signs their body is telling them- mine was saying, too much water so i remedied that!

Thank you for all the dedication and support this weekend! the regiment looked and preformed great! For taking 10 different groups and walking on the field and preforming as well as we did speaks volumes for the company leadership, and the fine men in ranks!

From the bottom of my heart i feel this was a success, and looking forward to working with all you in the future!

Skip
              [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
              [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Eating each other does no one any good. I cannot speak as to folk staying, as I went down with the heat friday. Things are what they are, and no one is held to be at an event they do not wish to be.
                I however do want to commend those who helped clean up the campsite, including members of the 2nd MS and the 4th AL.
                It broke my heart not to be able to be there and see the 870 plus members and guests of the Southern Division take the field Saturday- not to mention the facial hair and dye job that almost left me sleeping on the couch a week prior to the event, and never even had a chance to portray Gen'l Bee.
                Rumors run amuck at events, including attack of killer snakes.... perhaps something to take away is to always ask through CoC.
                We live, we learn, we move forward.
                Pards,
                S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Well said, Skip.

I want to thank every person who had a hand in organizing the 2nd Mississippi effort. Company F had an outstanding time at the event, and even though things were cut short and the weather was almost unbearable, seeing the battalion formed up on Saturday morning and having it perform as veteran troops on the field made all the planning completely worth it. I was impressed by how organized everything was and I felt that everything ran quite smoothly throughout the day, which was surely the result of careful planning on behalf of the organizers. We are so fortunate to have people like these guys in the hobby who selflessly dedicate countless hours of planning to create an experience that none of us will ever forget.

Attached are a few photos of the battalion that Jeff Felton sent me -- I felt these couple photos really captured the size and appearance of the regiment. I'll be posting additional photos on the Liberty Rifles website this week.

Thanks again for allowing us to participate with the battalion, and we're looking forward to Shiloh.
                  Attached Files
                  Paul Boccadoro
                  Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewMartin View Post
                    I just wish some of you guys were as good marching as you are efficient in typing....(I guess we just do things a little differently out west here)...Some tend to be a little bold on the "puters".
                    Check around....I can march.
                    I'm also western.
                    Shiloh will have some of the same "problems" as any other large event. There will be mainstreamers. Get ready for it.
                    Bernard Biederman
                    30th OVI
                    Co. B
                    Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                    Outpost III

Comment

A word in defense of my pard Andrew Martin (re: Post #48, above):
                      Martin did not bug out. His company bugged out on him, making him a man without a country, in a manner of speaking. He's a BGR and IPW vet, as serious as they come.

Regarding the event:
                      These efforts are tough. You work hard, sink a lot of time and money into it, and endure eye-rolls from the missus while you correspond on the 'puter or talk on the phone. Throw "specialty impressions" on top of that pile and an event has a lot to live up to. After 2+ decades in the hobby, I have discovered that I have the most fun when my "preparation" is to just throw some gear in the car and drive, when my "expectations" are zero and I just enjoy whatever moments happen, and my responsibilities are show up, shut up, and do what I'm told.

However, this event was the first time I've ever led a company in a large battalion at a "battle" event. I've done battalion drills, picket posts, garrison events, and small local events as a company commander. Say what you want about mega events, what I experienced there I could experience no other way. It is one thing to discuss drill in an academic sense, or lead a drill, but keeping people together, acting and reacting to the situation, and making yourself heard in all the noise is a challenge... enjoyable, but challenging. I have no idea how the scenario went because I was too busy watching Skip (later Kiev) for orders, issuing commands to my company, and watching the men to make sure they were being safe.

I've been looking toward the 150's since before I could drive and I'm excited they're here. I had visions of what I wanted Manassas to be, and all ('cept one) went out the window when temps were projected to hit 104. I am happy to say that Company D performed well in the field for the time they were there and I met my goal of getting everyone home safe*. You can't be a company commander without a company, and I am grateful to the men in the company for providing me with the opportunity.

* re: "safe at home" ...time will tell... several boys were covered with deer ticks, so we'll have to see if they get lime disease (or is it Rocky Mountain spotted fever?). Its called permetherin, folks... and it works! I didn't have a single tick on me!

I'll reserve my constructive feedback as I've already shared it with those who need to hear. I've already apologized for my screw-ups, but I'm always ready to listen to anyone who wants to help me improve.

A word on me "going down" on Saturday:
                      Nothing happened to me and nothing was wrong. I got a slightly pulled pec muscle in my chest that made it a little uncomfortable to breathe, laugh, and yell. Not knowing that it was a muscle (and not my heart or something) I figured it was best to be cautious and get out of my coat, get something to drink, and get my heartrate down to make sure I was OK. At that point, I figured whatever it was, I was fine, so I got back into it. My thanks to folks for their concern. I'm AOK.

That's all for now.
                      John Wickett
                      Former Carpetbagger
                      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Who won the knife throwing contest?
                        Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
                        Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Any of you boys got pictures of the Brigade formed up Saturday morning you care to share?

Also on a side note, The fellow playing the bugle for the Brigade was amazing! That's probably the best I've ever heard anywhere! Very sharp playing sir. Hope we get your services in the future.....
                          Last edited by 4VADRUMMER; 07-26-2011, 09:06 AM.
                          [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
                          Handsome Company Mess
                          Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Just a few more points, take it or leave it...as a former Preventive Med Officer, there is a thing called the "Wet Bulb"...which takes alot of "heat issues" into consideration. We were at no doubt a BLACK, which in the Regular Army would shut alot of an exercise down for a period, and we went beyond that. Another point, this was a "first" in many ways, first 150th Event, first time many from different Units/Commanders/Individuals worked together, much like the start of the War. Lets take lessons learned as they would have and improve. I still believe if anyone formed up on Saturday Morning, marched to the field, fought the heat and battle and marched back in those conditions...well they deserve a pat on the back.

Again, the Officers and NCOs did a great job of keeping things together, and did a better job of keepng everyone informed.

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
                              * re: "safe at home" ...time will tell... several boys were covered with deer ticks, so we'll have to see if they get lime disease (or is it Rocky Mountain spotted fever?). Its called permetherin, folks... and it works! I didn't have a single tick on me!
                              Same here John. Made it out with a few chiggers from park touring prior to arriving at Manassas. Gracie's Salient, or Wilderness. Should have sprayed the feet before putting on my sandals...but the Permithrin did the job for ticks at the event. I actually saw one crawl up onto my brogan...which we sprayed with permithrin...and fall off dead.
                              Galen Wagner
                              Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

RE: 2nd Miss. leaving event etc. Perhaps folks should refrain from commenting untill they have all the facts. Just sayin....
                                Sincerely,

John Walsh
                                Furious Five Mess:baring_te

Comment

Working...
                                X