Re: New Date for "Only 200 Yards Distance"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're getting a few more coming in. Keep them coming. As long as I get them post marked by the 20th your good. If the registration fee is something holding you back get ahold of me privately......we'll get something worked out. Don't let that hold you back from coming!

Company A- Commanded by Brandon Jolly
    1. Brandon Jolly
    2. Steven Jolly
    3. Bob Welch
    4. Brandon Ledvina
    5. Randall Gibbs
    6. Brian Baird
    7. Alec Hartert
    8. Tim Varvil
    9. Mark Krausz
    10. Jason Krausz

Company B- Commanded by Brad Bodoh
    1. James Schumann
    2. Dan Barker
    3. Dan McGraw
    4. David Bushmole
    5. Scott Gutzke
    6. Brad Bodoh
    7. Kyle Karoliussen
    8. Tim Ruyle

Staff
    1. Jason Reinholz
    2. Andy Ackeret

Musicians
    1. Eric Isaacs
    2. Christian Jebb
    3. Dan Hess

Commissary
    1. Dave Frohmader
    2. Terry Sorchy

Civilians
    1. Stephanie Reinholz
    2. Rodney Miller
    3. Grant Miller
    4. Ethan Miller
    5. Dan Chmelar
    Dan Chmelar
    Semper Fi
    -ONV
    -WIG
    -CIR!

Comment

One week to this. Not sure if Dan's taking anymore registrations, but it's worth asking.
      Mark Krausz
      William L. Campbell
      Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
      Old Northwest Volunteers
      Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

A few of us did a final work day today. Dan and Jason have once again put a tremendous amount of work into this event. You will not be disappointed.
        Andy Ackeret
        A/C Staff
        Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone is coming up from the Chicagolnd area. I will be done with work at 3:15 Friday and will be driving up with my brother. Anyone want to carpool with us?
          Jason David

Peter Pelican
          36th Illinois Co. "B"
          Prodigal Sons Mess
          Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

I would be willing to carpool .
            Rod Miller
            [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
            [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
            A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
            1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
            1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
            1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
            1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
            Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
            1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
            Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

I would like to thank Dan Chmelar and the other members of the ONV who worked so hard to put this event together. "At 200 Yards" quickly became a test of one's mental and physical durability due to weather conditions, combined with boredom and mundane nature of life on the line. This was truly an outstanding event, and everyone from Jason Reinholz as battalion commander, Andy Ackeret as adjutant, company commanders Brandon Jolly and Brad Bodah, on down the line to privates and cooks all acted together to create a unique and enlightening experience. As so aptly described in the parking lot, two events went on this past weekend, and we only knew that a company of Federals were present when we got hit at the changing of the guard on Sunday morning. Thank you to all who designed, researched, and made this event possible. An immersion event like this really opened my eyes to other aspects of military life during the Civil War than marching and fighting. The marksmanship training from Bragg's British manual was a real highlight for Company A. Learning to properly sight an Enfield, and successfully snuffing a candle at one meter with a percussion cap was real highlight.
              Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
              My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Dan put a lot of work into this event. He has for three years in a row now. There were also twenty stout men in the CS ranks who suffered through rain from Friday evening until Saturday evening, yet kept going.

The Federal opposition was not advertised, but was organized and led by Brad Argue and Jeremy Brevard. Hats off to them. While the weather delayed their attack on our lines, it is good to know the surprise was still there.

Sometime there will be another event that will let us further develop CS sharpshooter training (sorry you missed that, Co. B). The 1863 manual we used was obscure, but did give us insights of the time in weapons training that was more advanced than what Hardee's / Casey's ect. offers.

Many thanks, Dan, for all you allowed us to experience!
                Andy Ackeret
                A/C Staff
                Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Hey Guys, I'll write a few lines about the event in a bit, but first here are some images from the event. We had one person assigned per side to discreetly take photos. This eliminates fifteen people from bringing cameras, and we still have images. Thanks to Mark Krausz for taking the CS pictures.
                  Attached Files
                  Dan Chmelar
                  Semper Fi
                  -ONV
                  -WIG
                  -CIR!

Comment

First off I have several people that deserve to be thanked. In no way, shape, or form was this a one man operation. I know I have said it before, and I will say it again; I firmly believe that I had the finest people in the hobby working with me on the event. On the CS side I would like to thank first off Jason Reinholz. Jason spearheaded most all of what you saw on the CS side of things. From making the 600 rounds of correctly made Enfield rounds, bringing forth the CS sharpshooters manual that Bragg commissioned, to running the battalion, Jason put a bear share of the work into it! I would also like to thank the rest of the officers of the battlion, being Andy Ackeret, Brandon Jolly, and Brad Bodoh. You guys ran the battalion and your companies expertly! Thank you to Terry Sorchy and Dave Frohmader for running our commissary for the weekend as well!

On the Federal side I would like to thank all for keeping quiet about your involvement. I feel by Sunday morning that most CS participants firmly believed that there was indeed no Federals. Thank you to Brad Argue and Jeremy Brevard for putting together the CS company. The Sally Port Mess, Tanglefoot Mess, and the Hard Head Mess seemed to all jell together well and formed a great looking company. You boys marched all over the 800 acre property, forded a river and a stream, not being issued rations but having to forage for them all, and numerous other challenges. Through it all I knew you boys could handle it!

Finally I would personally like to thank every man, down to the last private. You boys withstood a hell of a lightening storm that rolled in at 3 am Saturday morning and 12 hours of nearly constant rain and still stood your posts. I know many throughout the weekend were wet from 3 am Saturday morning until the time they reached the parking lot Sunday after the event. This took mental toughness, and once again, having to "Embrace the Suck". I feel that every man who walked out of this event on Sunday left with a slightly greater appreciation for what the original boys had to withstand day in and day out, 150 years ago.

Again, thanks to all!
                    Dan Chmelar
                    Dan Chmelar
                    Semper Fi
                    -ONV
                    -WIG
                    -CIR!

Comment

Here are a few pictures taken from the Federal perspective. In these pictures you will see them fording the river, chasing and butchering chickens, trading with CS troops, the Federals "embracing the suck", and some elements of the fight. Thank you to Tom Steele for discreetly taking the images.
                      Attached Files
                      Dan Chmelar
                      Semper Fi
                      -ONV
                      -WIG
                      -CIR!

Comment

Working...
                      X