Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weapons, reounds, etc. for PR

Gentlemen,
    I have a M1816/1822 musket I could bring, but I was thinking for this event it might be more interesting if I brought a civilian weapon to this event. This is my 20 ga. fowler that started off life as a Jackie Brown trade gun, but got "whizzed" into a fowler by a local guy here. Please see attached pics for your approval.
    I've got some mods to make to my shooting bag that goes with it, and I'll post pics of that when I'm done with them.
    Now, for this weapon: If fellow showed up in camp with one of these, he'd have his shooting bag and powder horn, no? So, for the event, instead of forty rolled rounds, should I just make sure I have loose powder in my horn and simulated balls for forty rounds?

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by dixieflyer; 09-04-2011, 05:34 PM.
    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
    Former Mudsill
    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Re: Weapons, reounds, etc. for PR

Yes. This and a powder horn.
    Matt Woodburn
    Retired Big Bug
    WIG/GHTI
    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Mr. Dickinson, allow me to say that this has to be the most beutiful fowler I've seen in a long time!
      Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

Matt, thanks for the answer. I'm thinking of getting a buffalo horn for this. My inspiration is a horn in the family of one of my best friends that has been carried into battle by multiple generations. It is carved thusly:

(name)
        Battle of New Orleans Jan 1815
        (name)
        Shiloh Apr 1862
        (name)
        Normandy June 1944

Obviously, the horn wasn't used at Normandy, but was just carried. It may, or may not, have been used at Shiloh. The individual responsible for the Shiloh honor was in a Tennessee regiment. In any event, if I can swing it, a buffalo horn would be different from the norm, and is relative to the area from which the troops came, Kentucky having had a goodly number of buffalo until the late 18th c., etc.

Thank you Andrew. I've had a couple of folks write me and ask for more shots. (Those were done on the fly and not very good.) I'll be taking more today, and will replace the way too large and out of focus ones above. If you're coming to PR, you'll get to see it in person friend!
        Warren Dickinson

Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
        Former Mudsill

Comment

Oh I'll be coming...already made arrangements at work to get the weekend off! I'll be sure to stop by, tie my horse off to a tree/fence post and chew the fat for a while.
          Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

OK, I guess I waited too long to edit my post by taking out the above pics and replacing them with others. Well, here are some retakes along with my shooting bag:

Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

Warren, I have just stumbled on to this thread. You have a beautiful kit there.

Dan Stewart

Comment

Great stuff Warren. The fowler is beautiful. Like the cloth on the bag.
                David Parent

The Cracker Mess
                MLK Mess
                Black Hat Boys
                WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Nice fowler Warren, I take it by your post that Jackie Brown is the maker. Would you happen to have contact info?
                  Ron Moen
                  Co.A, First Texas Infantry (Retired)
                  CWPT
                  E Clampus Vitus

Comment

Thank you very much Dan, David and Ron. Ron, let me check around, all of my old links are lost. I'll see what I can find. Jackie made/makes good, solid inexpensive weapons that serve as a good base. As I said, I had an acquaintance "whiz" this one up to look a little nicer than it did when I got it.

I'm still at a loss as to what I'm going to use for a haversack.
                    Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

Ron, PM inbound with contact info.
                      Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

Working...
                      X