Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Shiloh AAR

A few more boat images.
    Shiloh 2012 038.jpgShiloh 2012 013.jpgShiloh 2012 014.jpgShiloh 2012 017.jpgShiloh 2012 019.jpgShiloh 2012 020.jpgShiloh 2012 032.jpgShiloh 2012 033.jpgShiloh 2012 034.jpgShiloh 2012 037.jpg
    [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=4][FONT=Verdana]Bob Dispenza[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=Navy]US Naval Landing Party ([url]www.usnlp.org)[/url][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=SeaGreen]Navy and Marine Living History Association ([url]www.navyandmarine.org)[/url][/COLOR]

"The publick give credit for feat of arms, but the courage which is required for them, cannot compare with that which is needed to bear patiently, not only the thousand annoyances but the total absence of everything that makes life pleasant and even worth living." - Lt. Percival Drayton, on naval blockade duty.

"We have drawn the Spencer Repeating Rifle. It is a 7 shooter, & a beautiful little gun. They are charged to us at $30.00. 15 of which we have to pay."
    William Clark Allen, Company K, 72nd Indiana Volunteers, May 17, 1863

Comment

I want to put my two cents in here as well. As to the organizers.... gentlemen... this was my best event in almost 25 years of reenacting! Thank you for the countless hours that you put in to making the experience (for hundreds of like minded reenactors) nothing short of amazing!
      I can tell you that for the first time in years... after an event, we spent sunday night in a hotel looking at pictures and recounting the experiences of the past weekend instead of just heading home and putting the gear away. Over the next few days, many of us in Company G spent time on the phone still talking about the weekend. I just love it when the fire is stoked for experienced reenactors that have let that fire die over time. Even at work (Marine Corps), I have had many Marines that I am on Facebook with, tell me how cool the pictures looked and ask a number of questions.
      I hope that this past weekend does a couple of things...
      1. Restore some of the spirit in the hobby (both in the authentic community and mainstream). If immitation is the sincerest form of flattery... then we should see some of the streamers work to replicate what they saw and we will all benefit.
      2. Next, recruitment... I have no doubt that many of those streamers that saw what was possible with hard work, may see that they may not be able to change their unit but desire to find out about how to be a part of something better.
      3. Inspire us to take it even father. Who doubts that we can do this again and even take it the next step. What is that next step?... we are all thinking of ideas... so lets capture these ideas and share them... you never know what might happen.
      4. Finally (and most important) this past weekend built pride and comraderie that is difficult to have with a group of men from all over the country that only work together every so often. Foster these relationships! I know that from my personal experiences in the Corps... this is the key to a GREAT unit!
      I look forward to seeing everyone again... and I really mean that from the bottom of my heart!
      Semper Fi,
      Mike Pretus

Semper Fidelis,
      Mike Pretus
      16th LA Inf

Comment

What has not been mentioned here and what has been so great with this effort is this: So, many people from acorss the progressive spectrum of the hobby came together and set aside personailty, political and even hobby sterotypes to form this battalion and make it a success. There were men who have years of experienece as c/p/h reenactors all the way to men who were even at their first event. I hope that many of the progressive guys who dont usually do c/p/h events will see that the bad sterotypes about c/p/h reenactors are not true and we can all work together and have a great time and do it right. I challenge each of you to keep up this trend and continue to up your own personal bar and continue to support and cooperate in future efforts like this. Expand yoru horizons to not only awesome adjuncts like this, bt take part in immersive, c/p/h events and living histories. You proved you can do it and do it well! I look forward to seeing you all again throughout the 150ths!
        It was my honor to serve with all of you!

Jim Butler
        Company E - 15th Iowa
        SCAR
        Jim Butler

Comment

Bob, Above is the exact spot I made my place on the boat on the first cruise to the landing. watching the flag blow in the wind against the moonlit sky, hearing the paddles hitting the water, seeing the darkened shore in the distance, not knowing what was ahead, was just magical. It lulled me to sleep for a bit ,but it also made me choke up to think of what those men 150 years ago were thinking as they headed into the unknown. It was one of the fondest memories of the event for me. A week later and I am still floating. Remember the real 15th and 16th Iowa and all others who sacraficed so much these next two days. Below are a couple images that Adam Clark took of the Boat and one of River at dawn, quite possibly around the same time the 15th Iowa landed 150 years ago today.

293025_3631140382279_1387200321_3482427_1640798391_n.jpg

416740_3616764818857_1265966403_33647544_1422388442_o.jpg
          Last edited by PetePaolillo; 04-06-2012, 11:00 AM. Reason: added pics
          [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
          ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Still struggling to get back into the "real world" swing of things. I really hope we can all come together for something of this magnitude again.
            Regards,
            Eliot Toscano
            Independent Brute
            Putting on no style...

"Six children from the local village appeared wearing [U][B]fallacious accoutrements & reprehensible baggage [/B][/U]and thought they would put a sham battle on for our amusement. We laughed so hard at their imitation of soldiers that our sides were hurting for hours."
            A.R. Crawford in the 76th Illinois Infantry, Co D - April 1863 - The origin of FARB

Comment

Here is a short vid from stepping off at the park. It misses some at the beginning, but it one hell of an impressive column!

Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
              49th Ohio
              Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Thad:

Wow. Just saw that video on Facebook a few minutes ago. I thought I saw someone filming from there. Does that not make everyone damn proud about what we do? It gave me the chills. Impressive.
                ERIC TIPTON
                Former AC Owner

Comment

Originally posted by thad gallagher View Post
                  Here is a short vid from stepping off at the park. It misses some at the beginning, but it one hell of an impressive column!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3334762102305
                  The link didn't work for me. Is there another way to see it?
                  Kenny Pavia
                  24th Missouri Infantry

Comment

Eric,

That forward march command was indeed a cause of many emotions right then. Every hair was standing, and I had a step that couldn't be stopped. It was an overwhelming feeling. Not to mention that everywhere we marched everyone stopped and watched and cheered. It is amazing that so many like-minded folks can pull together and do it right. It did make me very proud.

Kenny,

I made the video public, that should fix the problem for seeing it.
                    Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
                    49th Ohio
                    Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

I only saw 5 wrong footed marchers. Not bad but boy do they stand out!

Comment

• Re: Federal Photos at Shiloh

I especially liked the very end of the video clip, with the young lad racing to follow the sojurs. Hope it's a memory for him that continues to fuel his interest in American history.
                        Am really enjoying the comments from those who were fortunate to participate last week.
                        Bully!
                        Paul Hadley
                        Befuddled on the lone prairee
                        Paul Hadley

Comment

Matt Woodburn you are to be commended for your vision. To put an event like this together of this magnitude definitely took a bold vision, passion, and I am sure some risk to get almost 500 guys together to accurately portray the 15th Iowa. To be able to look to your left and right and see everyone in the prescribed uniform with Army hats with the left side pinned up and sack coats is something rarely seen on this magnitude. The musicians were simply amazing and who didn't put a little more "pep in their step and pride in their stride" when we stepped off after our first rest halt at the Shiloh NBP with the field music filling the air with the patriotic tunes. This was the third time I had been to an event at Shiloh as the previous other ones were the NPS living histories. To be able to ride the Minnehaha down the river to our "Grand Adventure" and to stand on the bow of the ship and contemplete what the Iowa Boys of '62 must have been thinking was a highlight for me. A big thank you to all of you who carried out the vision for this event.

Regards,
                          Mark Susnis
                          Mark Susnis
                          Msusnis@hotmail.com

Comment

I just wanted to share my drawing of a memorable evening I/we had while awaiting the last ferry ride down to the landing from Savannah. When told to rest and get sleep....that's what we did!!! I made a quick sketch of the evening with light clouds, toe nail shaped moon that seemed to light up the whole area. I put the finishing touches on it a little while ago. I think we managed an hour or less of sleep???

Slumber at Savannah.jpg
                            James Ross

Comment

Side note, gentlemen...
                              While a friend was in town today, we hit the local cemeteries to look at the interesting old graves. There's a little "soldiers' patch" in the cemetery near my prents' graves. Among the markers for the boys from the 77th OVI, the 1st WV Cavalry and several other units is Anton Brenner of the 16th Iowa. I don't know why he's there--boy from Powhatan Point moved west, perhaps?--but from what I've seen you did him proud.
                              Last edited by Becky Morgan; 04-07-2012, 09:57 PM. Reason: Clarification
                              Becky Morgan

Comment

What can I say that hasn't already been said here? Thanks again to all who made this event happen with all its details. It truly was a "grand adventure"!

So whats next? Possibly one of Longstreets unit's wearing English cloth for the 150th Chickamauga? Hahahaha....
                                Respectfully,
                                Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

Working...
                                X