Shiloh AAR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shiloh AAR

I would like to thank everyone who made this event and adjunct possible.

The only cons to the event were the water and toilet situations, but the good far outweighs this problem.
    Now for the pros:
    The boat ride
    Disembarking at Pittsburg Landing to "The Girl I Left Behind Me"
    Waking up to see men from the other boats filing past my bed
    Getting the ammo and seeing some guys get really great packs and others getting ones that appeared to come from shoddy contractors
    Shortly after we stepped off, I turned around and saw the column stretch on
    The singing and talking in the column on the march
    The silence of the column as we were tiring before the first stop
    I fell out just before the battle Saturday because my shoulder was hurting from the strap of my pack, so I heard the battle rather than saw it, and it did sound like a continuous roll
    Since I fell out, I got to the camp about 15-20 minutes before the regiment, and it was eerie to see such a large camp nearly deserted
    I would like to thank the people that made the chicken broth and beans and rice for Co. F on Saturday, it was great to get to camp, and have dinner waiting
    Emptying the sutler tent. I didn't get any personal goods, but I did enjoy some apple butter and mushroom ketchup and condensed milk in some coffee
    Watching a camp that big operate
    When we marched out Sunday, everyone watched us and cheered us

I would like to thank the command staff, everyone who did things before and during the event to this adjunct run smoothly, Brandon Jolly for painting the flags, the civilians who made dinner for Co. F on Saturday, everyone who was a part of the adjunct, the members of Co. F and finally Matt Woodburn. Besides all the work he did for this, I had contacted him about finding a home early on, and had pointed my pards and me to Co. F. I would like to thank you for that, because every officer, NCO, and private in Company F made this event truly memorable.

It was an honor to be a part of Co. F of the 15th Iowa, and I can't thank the people that made this event possible enough.
    Peter Sivak

Co. F 15th Iowa

Comment

shiloh2012aaron.jpgshiloh2012aaron2.jpg

Company B bringing up the flank is in the house.....

Bravo to my old WIG battalion and staff who put on an outstanding event! Now that's how I remember the WIG!

Glad to be back.....
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
      Cincinnati

Comment

Would not trade this past weekend for anything! To see those colors in the breeze, yep I am a flag nut, always have and always will be. Marching with my good friends and new friends. Proud to be a part of the 15th Iowa Inf.

Highlights,

1. Boat ride and viewing the river without any lights from shore, thought of those men of 62 coming up river.
        2. Being the one to meet the 2nd boatload and being hailed from the paddlewheeler with an Ahoy, and answering Ahoy, come ashore.
        3. Getting to sleep a few hours to be awaken with the foot fall of men marching past upon the arrival of the 3rd load.
        4. Marching with the best looking regiment/battalion of men excellently kitted and dressed.
        5. Being able to experience this due to excellent leadership and planning. Three cheers and a tiger to the 15th Iowa Vol. Infantry!
        Last edited by Pious Jeems; 04-03-2012, 09:58 PM. Reason: Did not finish posting all sentence.
        Dean Burchfield
        [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
        Cleburnes
        Hard Case Boys
        Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
        Napoléon Bonaparte
        A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

You boys did look great from across the field. It was to bad that you had to take a knee and were not able to fight on Sunday.:cry_smile
          Raul Fuentez
          Hailing from Parts Unknown:confused:

Minion of the Warlord Mess:angry_smi

Comment

I will jump in.

From start to finish this event lived up to the hype. Simply one of the best events I have ever been associated with. I could go on and on about the moments but I would rather extend my compliments to the men of the regiment and especially to Co B. I am very happy to served with each of you and I hope we can continue to take the field through out the 150's. Our roster was literally a "Who's, who" of research and knowledge, great to meet you guys and great to see old friends.

Like most on this board, I don't attend these type events for the "battles" as the "battles" are always folly as far as I am concerned. That being said, you boys who took the field as skirmishers on Sunday were damned impressive.

I will close with this, it is Sunday 4pm, the event is over...myself, Eric Martin, and Dean Burchfield are picking up the oven bricks as they can't be left behind. All the tents are struck and gone. Nothing is left except a large pile of barrels, commissary supplies, and quartermaster inventory. No one else is about, suddenly, out of the north, comes this huge cloud of dust, emerging out this cloud is a U-Haul truck. Driving this mud covered monstrosity is none other than Colonel Woodburn. Still clad in period attire, he is literally the last man on the field, tending to the unenvyable tasks of loading 200 lb barrels of left-over pickled bologna, tables, chairs, commissary impedimentia of all types, removing trash and debris so that some farmer's field can be returned to normalcy. After the work is done, he then turns to us and says, "It'd be my honor to buy you guys supper"....we assured him this wasn't necessary but he was adamant and we eventually capitulated. I have felt bad since. He wanted to buy us supper, it was us, all of us who should have bought your supper.
            I am sharing this because it speaks volumes of Matt's character and his selfless approach in getting the job done. Even when the job is the unglamorous, behind the scenes things.

So, publicly, thank you Matt for your diligence and effectiveness in orchestrating this massive effort.
            Cameron Stinnett

A E K D B

Comment

Very well said Cameron! :) Bully for the Colonel.
              [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
              ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

It was my first campaigner event, and will never be forgotten. Seeing the distant lanterns, which guided our paddle wheeler to shore, was something else. Thanks to WIG for helping me follow the footsteps of my ancestor in the 49th O.V.I.
                Thomas Kessler
                Thomas Kessler

Comment

Cam, you are so correct in saying this. That is how a leader leads his men, by example! I will follow Col. Woodburn again!
                  Dean Burchfield
                  [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
                  Cleburnes
                  Hard Case Boys
                  Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
                  Napoléon Bonaparte
                  A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

I've been doing this hobby for a long time, and frankly, there have been times of late that I've felt a bit burned out by it.

This event brought back what this hobby has been for me in the past - fun.

That's a testament to everyone involved, from the leadership on down.

So, I can only say this - thank you.
                    Eric Fair

"A word in earnest is as good as a speech." Charles Dickens - [I]Bleak House[/I]

Comment

Eric, I'll echo that. I haven't felt this way about an event since Raymond in '98.
                      V/R
                      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Eric,

I agree....this was going to be my last event as a soldier. I may have to re-assess that now.
                        Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
                        Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
                        Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Good video of 15 Iowa at 1:21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v0SLosPAdM

Galen Wagner
                          Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

15th Iowa uphill.jpg 15th Iowa Downhill.jpg

These are a couple of my favorite shots. I believe these were taken by Brian Hicks brother ( ? )
                            Eric N. Harley-Brown
                            Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

Originally posted by GWagner View Post
                              Good video of 15 Iowa at 1:21.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6v0SLosPAdM

GREAT shot of the 15th Iowa...especially when they were firing by battalion, very impressive sight!
                              Robert F. Wallace
                              38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
                              North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Favorite part of that video is everyone in that battalion stopped and watching us.
                                Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                                My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Working...
                                X