X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150th Perryville

Battle of Perryville 150th Anniversary
    October 5 – 7, 2012

The 150th Anniversary of Perryville is coming up. Event information and impression guidelines will be forthcoming at www.perryvillebattlefield.org The guidelines listed on the park website are the minimum standards for participation. Park staff has completed hundreds of hours of research on the typical soldier in the Army of Mississippi and the Army of the Ohio and will work with groups interested in tailoring impressions to specific regiments that fought at Perryville – do not hesitate to contact them.

Planning is under way and arrangements have been made for various living history opportunities. There is an opportunity for preservation march for both the Confederate and Union Armies, if you are interested in this please contact me immediately. The routes are being completed now and land agreements are being finalized. Approximately 1,000 acres of land are available for the event.

Perryville has long offered reenactors a quality historical experience. Progressive organizations have been a constant presence at this pristine battlefield for 20 years. There is a strong commitment to enhance this effort by the park and the reenactor coordinators. We invite you to participate and make this the best progressive event in the West for 2012.

Preservation efforts are ongoing at Perryville; the park, the Friends of Perryville and the Civil War Preservation Trust are working to acquire and additional 200 acres that surround the historic H.P. Bottom House as well as additional land on Hayes Mayes Rd. including the Russell House site. 100% of reenactor registration goes towards the purchase of this significant historic property.

Chad Greene
    Western Federal Blues
    Chad Greene

Re: 150th Perryville

Chad,
    I know it's a ways off, but are you anticipating any substantial role for Federal cavalry in the event?

Take care,
    Tom Craig
    1st Maine Cavalry
    Tom Craig

Comment

Tom,
      We are looking for Union Cavalry for 2012. There will be a tactical opportunity that will not be scripted and we certainly could use your guys as we have nearly 1000 acres upon which we will be moving. The scripted scenarios are not worked out just yet, however, the engagements the day before the battle contained considerable cavalry action. Most people are used to doing Parson's and the cornfield at Perryville, but we are going to change it up so that there will be an opporutnity for all arms to engage recreating historical movements on the field.

In addition, we are looking at two major preservation marches that the cavalry certainly can be involved in as well. This will go across property that has not been accessable before utilizing private property along Doctor's Creek and the Chaplin River.

I am sorry you couldn't make the event this past year at Perryville. You can ask any of the guys with the 7th TN. They were well pleased with the effort the park put forth in using them correctly and the park is as committed to do that again in 2012. Frankly I am also looking for someone to really help me with the cavalry as I am a ground pounder. Holler at me over a PM or email.
      Thanks,
      Chad Greene
      Chad Greene

Comment

You can ask any of the guys with the 7th TN. They were well pleased with the effort the park put forth in using them correctly
        It was a blast! We were sickly outnumbered, and yet we fought off the Feds as best we could! Out of all the events we did last year Perryville was my favorite, I look forward to the 150th.
        Andrew Verdon

7th Tennessee Cavalry Company D

Tennessee Plowboy #1 of the "Far Flung Mess"

Comment

All,
          After discussion with te park staff this morning I understand that the AC committee for events decided to place Perryville 150 in the Adjunct folder.
          For the sake of saving time and confusion - if you are planning on attending the event please make sure that you read the events standards for participation. I would not want anyone registering for the event without first understanding the way the event will be structured and what the specific standards are. Perryville has basically adopted National Park standards and they will be enforced. These participation guidelines will be posted for the 150th on Perryville's website within the next week; however, the living history standards for 2011 are already posted on the park's site and these will not change for 2012 - other than they will not be as unit specific to allow for other impressions of individual regiments for those who wish to portray those regiments. I advise contacting the park as they have a vast amount of research on regiments both Union and Confederate that were present on the field at Perryville.
          So - on to 2012 and hope to see you there.
          Chad Greene
          Chad Greene

Comment

I am looking forward to Perryville. I have never been there so the 150th will be a good time to see it! :)
            [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
            ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Everyone:
              The event section folders are here for...
              1) Hosts and organizers to communicate to participants
              2) Participants to get information and ask questions

This is not the place to criticize someone else's events or to raise questions regarding the legitimacy of events or the folders in which they are located.
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I for one deeply appreciated the history based event standards that Perryville put up. Site staff and volunteer organizers took a lot of heat for those upgraded standards. Exactly what we as a hobby asked for.

Events are what WE choose to make them.

I look at October of 2012 and see Perryville, then a weekend to rearrange and double pack the truck, Raymond and the Vicksburg Caves, and a day with a houseful of company and a yard full of mules before we are due in Westville on Tuesday night to start bringing folks in by wagon on Wednesday.

Hardly a dismal prospect. And every one of them with enough standards to keep it enjoyable.

Without standards, there might be pirates all over the place......
                Terre Hood Biederman
                Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

All,
                  I appreciate all of the effort put forth by everyone over the last few days to help with the Perryville event listed here for 2012. The living history standards for 2011 are now posted and they will change very little for 2012. They will not be as unit specific as we hope to encourage those who wish to portray different regiments that were at the battle - to do so. We have a large amount of reasearch on both CS and US regiments and certainly encourage each of you to contact park staff to get assistance in your impression.
                  We are in the final stages of working out exactly what will be happening, but it will certainly include marches into the battlefield and tactical situations for Friday and Saturday.
                  Please remember that unlike so many places in the United States you are actually on the battlefield for this event. Some 7,500 men were killed and wounded here at Perryville. Every inch of the park and adjoining farm land is core battlefield area - men engaged in a death match that impacted Perryville for years and to some extent still effects the town and its people. I would ask each and everyone of you to consider the importance of this event - not just who has the best uniform or who is in charge of what, but that each dime you as a reenactor spends will go directly to battlefield preservation. We are working on securing the land that encircles the Bottom House all the way up to and including the Dixville Crossroads. This will take somewhere around 2 million dollars to achieve all of this and we are working hard with the CWPT to accomplish that. To that end I ask for cooperation from everyone in making Perryville a great event. Yes it will be a "progressive event" and be ran as one from the military to the civililan living history area. For those of you who have not been here or have not been here for years - things have changed and we are committed to making this a respectuful event - it is truly about the soldiers who fought here and the citizens who had to deal with the death and destruction.
                  Thanks,
                  Joni House
                  Preservation Coordinator
                  Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site
                  [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Joni House[/FONT]

Comment

All,
                    Just one more note. There will be absolutely no walking on at Perryville for either the 2011 Living History Weekend or the 2012 Reenactment. Just want to get that out there!
                    Thanks,
                    Joni House
                    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Joni House[/FONT]

Comment

Hello everyone...I've been away from the list for awhile..Joni, I really want to attend Perryville, both years if possible. I loved being in the village a few years ago and will enjoy returning. I 'll be checking out the sites and registering ASAP. THANKS
                      Vivian Murphy
                      Oops, looks like the page is lost. Start your website on the cheap.

Comment

All,
                        I am very glad to see all the excitment building about Perryville's 150th. I wanted to make sure to let everyone know that the Western Federal Blues will field a battalion for the event as well. It looks like we already have two companies committed and we are looking for 1 to 2 more companies. If you are interested in putting together a company or are an individual or mess needing a home please let me know. You can either PM me or send me an email.
                        Thanks,
                        Chad Greene
                        Western Federal Blues
                        Chad Greene

Comment

This is one event I don't want to miss. My second event as a reenactor was 120th Perryville back in 1981. That was so long ago.
                          David H. Thomas
                          Starr's NC Battery
                          Fayetteville, NC

Comment

Thank you Joni
                            you can expect at least one Australian to be there.

Lance Stifle
                            (Kim Stewart-Gray)

Comment

Hello,

I am trying to gage the interest in forming a adjunt unit representing the 1st or 3rd FL during the 2012 event. I have been in contact with Joni House and she has provided information in regards to these two units. Her willingness to help to include mailing hard copy information as well as emailing pdf files has helped immeasurably. Thank you very Much Joni!!

I am looking for interest both in participation and command roles. Like I said this is to judge interest in doing this and let it be known this unit has not been formed yet. If anyone would like the information sent to me by Mrs House I would be more than happy to send that too you.

Information I have to offer:
                              0 historical information
                              0 free web site service

Comment

Working...
                              X