X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Girl I Left Behind Me"

Recently found by my friend Alex Vasquez:

Reading Shiloh Daniel asserts on page 175 that

"...Two regiments, the 23rd Missouri and 15th Iowa, had just gotten off the boat from St. Louis, the latter debarking to the tune of "The Girl I Left Behind Me."

Citation for this seems to be William Belknap, History of the 15th Regiment Iowa, perhaps pages 289-290 but it is somewhat unclear. If true then that's what we should be singing and/or band playing as we get off the steamer.
    V/R
    [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Re: "The Girl I Left Behind Me"

I vote for the band playing. Hearing some of us sing might be considered abusive by some. :o
    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
    Former Mudsill
    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Here ya Go Brandon....

(MELVILLE C. DAVIS.)

I, Melville C. Davis, first being duly sworn, depose and say, my age is 58 years and my residence and post office address is No. 16 Third Street, S. E. Washington, D. C.
      Having been requested to state my recollection of the time the 15th Iowa Infantry became engaged at the battle of Shiloh, I will state briefly:
      On the morning of April 6, 1862, we left the landing between 8 and 9 o'clock, and about 10 o'clock, surely not later than 10:30, while moving in columns of fours across an abandoned field, we were unexpectedly fired upon. Some officer who was unknown to me was guiding us to the front, we were not in line of battle, but by columns of fours, band in front, and there was heavy firing to our right front and to our left front, showing beyond question that we were surprised by a body of the enemy that had evidently passed through a gap in the line of our army.
      At that time I was a drummer (Co. E) with the band in front. We were playing "The girl I left Behind Me." My memory is good and all of our movements that morning from the time we marched off the boat until we entered the fight are clear and distinct in my mind. We became engaged between 9:45 and 10:30 a. m., and held the position we at once doubled-quicked to, at the end of "Jones field," for at least two hours.
      I remained constantly with the regiment until July, '64, and know there was never any question raised about the time we held the field at Shiloh, but it was spoken of as from 10 to 12 o'clock, and that is my recollection now.

MELVILLE C. DAVIS.

source: Matter of the controversy between the Shiloh National Military Park Commission and the Iowa Shiloh Comm. relating to inscriptions upon the regimental monuments of the 15th & 16th Iowa Volunteer Infantry. Albert cummins, 1903.
      [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
      ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Very cool Pete! Thanks for sharing that.
        V/R
        [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Once DP gets serious... some good gouge always shows up getting posted.
          Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

That tune was always popular with the US Army during most of the 19th cent. when they left a town, garrison, etc. So does that mean "Girl..." is the only song we are going to hear? If so...I'm going to grab a drum and and play "some Distance From Prussia"....
            cheers,
            Joe Blunt
            "...don't rush the judgement, until all the facts are in."

Comment

Joe,

If it's the 'only' song I hear on the march... I will personnally run the Principal Musician through with his own sword long about the fourth iteration.
              Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

Oh I am sure they played many more Joe. No doubt about it. What strikes me is this drummer recalled exactly which song they were playing at the moment they were engaged at the start of the 15th Iowa's combat at Pittsburgh Landing. He is recalling this 41 years after the fact, when he was just a 17 year old boy. I think that is pretty profund if you ask me. He didn't bother to mention any other songs did he?
                Last edited by PetePaolillo; 03-07-2012, 03:01 PM.
                [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt_Sullivan View Post
                  Joe,

If it's the 'only' song I hear on the march... I will personnally run the Principal Musician through with his own sword long about the fourth iteration.
                  HA HA!!! Most agreed..LOL Have I told you fellas about being stuck on "Its a small World" at Disney for over an hour? I was homicidal too...LOL
                  [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                  ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Spongebucket View Post
                    I'm going to grab a drum and and play "some Distance From Prussia"....
                    Please don't. It's not a Civil War tune.
                    Will Chappell

Comment

Being one of the six field musicians taking the boat ride, I assure you that we have a broader repertoire than just "Girl." We have actually done a lot of research to put together a song list that is pre-1862, considering that most of the published music manuals would not have likely made their way out to Iowa enough to be used widespread. So, we have decided to include many patriotic airs appropriate to the year considering this was a new regiment and the men would most likely have been enthusiastic, as many of their writings state. We most certainly have already discussed playing "Girl I Left Behind Me" as we march from the landing, but not for the whole march. haha

And I agree wholeheartedly with Will, Some Distance From Prussia is not a civil war tune and we won't be playing it, unless there's some jam session later that night then anything's game.

Sincerely,

Patrick Jones
                      Camp Chase Fifes and Drums

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt_Sullivan View Post
                        Joe,

Looks like I'll need to leave my tin whistle at home, then. All I can play with any proficiency whatsoever is "The Grapevine Twist". Lacking a sword, I shudder to think what Mess'r Berezuk will impale me upon!
                        John Wickett
                        Former Carpetbagger
                        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Wickett, you or Pete need a sword?

Guys, the musicians we have are top shelf. They've been working hard and will have plenty of authetic vatiety. Since we have the best of all the companies, I got you the best field music. Now aren't we all just precious!
                          Matt Woodburn
                          Retired Big Bug
                          WIG/GHTI
                          Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                          "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

No way. You play Grapevine Twist?
                            Silas Tackitt,
                            one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Silas: Yes, but I'm not going to tout the quality of my rendition! When it comes to my whistle-playing... to paraphrase a former VP candidate...
                              "I know Justin Runyon. Justin Runyon is a friend of mine. Wickett, you're no Justin Runyon!"

Matt: "Need a sword"? Nope... I have all the tools I need to keep music critics at-bay! ;)
                              John Wickett
                              Former Carpetbagger
                              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
                              X