Withdrawing to Fort Donelson-Feb 9-12, 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Withdrawing to Fort Donelson-Feb 9-12, 2012

Here is a list of registered for the Fort Henry / Donelson Event - This means I have your registration paper and/or payment.

This list does not include the wagon masters.

John Walsh
    Jerry Ross
    Brian Hicks
    Fred Baker
    Whit Barr
    Peter Beretuk
    Bart Boaz
    Marvin Boyce
    Brett Carr
    Brian Chastain
    Herb Coats
    Michael Comer
    Michael Hoover
    Houston Dickinson
    Warren Dickinson
    Chad Gray
    Jerry Hughes
    Jerry Hughes Sr.
    John Lloyd
    Eric Martin
    Robert Mitchell
    Robert Orrand
    Tim Phillips
    Pete Paolillo
    John Raterink
    Jason Reinholz
    Lewis Robinson
    John Schoendorf
    Tyler Sneed
    Dan Stewart
    Kiev Thomason
    Steven Brewington
    Blake Stewart
    J.J. Jacobs
    Dustan Milam
    Charles Tucker
    Shane Persich
    James Walker
    Cody Persich
    Daniel Lonsway
    John Baine
    Gene Bolin
    James Burnett
    Casey Counce
    Galen Courtney
    Craig Courtney
    Brandon Curtsinger
    Tom Grubbs
    Steven Henderson
    Bob Herr
    Gary Jones
    John Prince
    Alec Shoulta
    Gary Teckenbrock
    Zeb Teckenbrock
    Bryan Tucker
    Benny Watkins
    Mark Bridges
    Mark Choate
    Kerry Gallivan
    Ethan Harrington
    Ken Knopp
    Scott Little
    Kenneth Mansell
    David Smith
    Chris Stewart
    Tony Townsend
    Jeff Williams
    Michael Pierpoint
    Kevin Tucker
    John Walsh

"Is a gentleman with a brostache invited to this party?''

Comment

To all those sitting on the fence - we still have spots available for this event and I would recommend getting your registrations in soon. We are in the process of purchasing rations and supplies based on the number we have so far, which is getting close to 80 right now.

This will be a great event -

John Walsh
      John Walsh

Comment

Here is the last event at Fort Donelson 2005.

I believe it snowed some too.
        I think it will be greener this year. The buttercups have bloomed because of the recent warm weather.The grass is greened up also. But it can still drop 30 degrees over night when a front moves through. You still need to come prepared for cold weather.

We have close to 80 registered. It will be good event no matter the weather.
        Jerry Ross
        Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
        Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

John, forgive me if this has been covered but I could not find it. Is there an emergency contact person and phone number at the park that we can leave here at home/office. I do have a "Dixie" ring tone on my cell phone but not an authentic 1862 version that would pass the guidelines so I would rather not carry it (ha!) Ken R Knopp

Comment

the Stewart co Sherrifs dept is: (931) 232-8332

The fort Donelson park is: 931-232-5706

John Walsh
            John Walsh

Comment

Attendees / Possible Attendees:

1. This week is the week - Infact, today is the day the Naval Bombardment would begin on Fort Henry. So as the event goes, you will be within days of re-creating the actual Confederate Evacuation.

2. As you can imagine, we are going to be very busy this week. We will do our best to answer phone calls and emails. But site preparation, rations, etc is going to be the focus this week. Most all of your questions can be answered in this thread. The times are the times, and though as the event starts, it will take on a life of its own and there maybe adjustments made. However, when planning your trip to and from, use the times listed in this thread as a guide.

3. I will post a registered list as I have them by Tuesday night - Yes, you can register on site. But I highly recommend that since its probably too late to get us a registration form in the mail, that you shoot us an email to let us know you are coming. Your empty stomach may depend upon it.

4. We will be issuing rations. But feel free to stick a potatoe, a carrot, a turnip, or something extra or small in your haversack. It will help the cause within your company and will add to your experience. Yes, this is early war / winter and the Confederates were dressed and armed as such. But food & supplies were arriving daily, even up to the morning of the Surrender of Donelson (the boat Floyd escaped on had just dropped off troops and supplies hours before).

5. Straw will be available on site at all camp sites. However, keep an eye on the weather. I would not take stock in any forecast prior to Wed.

If I think of anything else - I will post it.

John Walsh
              John Walsh

Comment

I wasn't sure where to initiate an AAR so I'll tack it on to the rest of this thread.

First of all, Jerry Ross and myself would like to personally thank everyone who attended this event. I know Jerry will post something a little later, but I wanted to let all of you that my expectations for this event was more than exceded after it was all said and done. I have a deep appreciation for this campaign, this area, and the people who lived here. For so long the Battles of Forts Henry and Donelson have been under appreciated by historians, authors, and in some cases the NPS (as an organization). This march continued on a legacy that was commemorated long before I was born.

The Event: Many of Brian Hicks company arrived on Thursday night as expected and were transported to the site by the Fort Donelson NPS Staff (here after NPS). We established our base camp near the modern day Fort Henry Trail head that is about 1/4 mile from the outer works of the original fort. The weather was clear and brisk with a full moon shining brightly. Major Jerry Ross took on the duty of cooking rations and preparing the meals for the next days march as our orders were to evacuate to Fort Donelson. By Thursday night, most all of the 48th was present under the command of Brian Hicks, half of our cavalry command (9th Tn Cav) was present, our commisary wagon and supplies and all command staff was present for the night.

By Friday morning, more troops would arrive as the remainder of the 9th Tn Cav would arrive. We also received reinforcements in the form of infantry when approximately 20 men of the Kentucky Company under the command of Daniel Lonsway arrived. The weather called for rain most of the day with temps in the mid 30's - 40's, however with heavy prayer, the weather held off and remained overcast and cool. We formed the column and marched back to the actual site of Fort Henry (as close as we could get) and ran into a modern historian, Kendal Gott, who gave the men his thoughts on what we were doing and its significance. We then marched to the shoreline of the Tennessee River and gazed across to see Fort Heiman. Captain Walsh then proceded to establish the historical context and the battle that ensued at Fort Henry. We then received orders to evacuate Fort Henry and to save the infantry column to Fort Donelson. By approximately 10:30am we were off. It was not long before, we noticed that Gantt's cavalry had abandoned us and literally ran over us headed to Fort Donelson. So the infantry was left on its own in fairly unknown country. As a precaution, we sent the commisary wagon off on its own in what we knew was a friendly route.

As the column under the command of Major Jerry Ross moved towards Donelson. We had our front and rear gaurds posted as well as flankers in the event of contact with the enemy. It would be about 2 miles in when elements of the 4th Illinois Cavalry would attack our front and we rushed the Kentucky company to deploy skirmishers and rushed across the creek as not to get bottle necked on the bridge there. The 48th Tenn soon was deployed in support. The cavalry was pushed back fairly quickly as they appeared not to be in full force and only testing our lines. The Kentucky Company suffered one casualty.

We continued the march and soon other elements of the 4th Ill Cav was to our rear attacking our rear guard. This harrassment from the enemy's cavalry continued throughout the march with a few of our guys getting captured. However, we remained infront of the cavalry from that point on. The infantry continued to leap frog continually towards Fort Donelson in attack after attack by the enemy. This continued for nearly 4-5hours until the Union Cavalry were soon not to be found. Knowing that the men were exhausted from fighting so gallantly and the weather turning bad, literally starting to sleet. We established a camp near a creek so that the men and horses could be watered. It was there our wagon arrived, it had apparently broke down and required a field repair which was accomplished. The command staff is personally grateful for their initiative to get it fixed and continue with us.

By Friday night our Confederate Cavalry arrived seemingly unaware that we had been attacked and what we had gone through that day. Major Ross was not pleased by their actions. We established camp about 5.4 miles from Fort Donelson near a creek on a hill. That night the wind blew hard and the temperature dropped suddingly to near the mid teens. Some of the men suffered but all remained in good spirits.

Saturday morning, the entire column assembled, we continued our march to Fort Donelson. Before crossing the creek, elements of the 48th Tennessee built a cordory road across it to keep the men's already frozen feet from suffering anymore. Within an hour, we were within the outer population of Dover. We continued down the main road leading into Dover and as we passed many of the local residents came out to cheer us on and waiving flags and hankies to us. Knowing that we were the reinforcements arriving from Fort Henry. Once in town we turned east-north east and marched to the Fort. Upon arriving there, the local towns people gathered in great numbers. Many of them wanting news of what had happened at Fort Henry and the result and condition of their relatives. Once secured in the outer works of the Fort, we re-issued the Battalion's equipment. Because of their arrival and the re-organizing of the units at Donelson, they were all sent to another portion of the line and left the main body of the Fort. Prior to leaving, the 48th Tennessee graciously went and fired a salute for the crowd that had gathered and we all were appreciative of that.

I know I probably missed some of the things during the weekend, but I wanted to leave room for comments from the men who were there.

When the column arrived to the Fort, there were representatives from South East Region of the NPS, Dept of Agriculture - Forrestry, LBL, City and County, including a large crowd of onlookers. Many of the folks who were there remembered the 100th anniversary of the battle and the celebration at that time in which schools were let out, people out of work and hundreds upon hundreds were in attendance. This was the largest and most heavily organized event since that time. Infact, one of the guys making the march was 13 years old at the event.

I know many of you were tired and ready to leave Dover and for very good reason (sore feet being one). However, the affect you all have left on this community and park will remain here for many years to come. As you know there was a film crew on site, hired by the NPS, and our efforts on those days have been recorded for generations to come. I was touched by some of the men in the ranks had small copies of their ancestors pictures that had actually made the march, with them on their person.

I have rambled on enough, I know many of you will have personal stories and perspectives on things I missed, but please know that I am personally grateful to each and every one of you and it will be something that I will remember for the rest of my life.

John Walsh
                John Walsh

Comment

Was cold, tired, and had blisters... I HAD A BLAST!

Thanks again to all inolved to make the weekend a special one.
                  Johnny Lloyd
                  John "Johnny" Lloyd
                  Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                  SCAR
                  Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                  Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                  Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                  Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Mr. Walsh,
                    My thanks and hats off to you, Jerry Ross and the entire organizational staff. You guys were great. From the moment we arrived at the visitors center we were greeted with smiles and appreciation from the NPS staff and Rangers. Everything was smooth at check in and the shuttles to the parking and camping area went very smooth. There was plenty of rations, water, straw and firewood provided the men. With the extreme temps we had that was a Godsend. I got to see snow and sleet for the first time in 20 years...lol Now I know why I moved to Florida. Unfortunately it followed me home as we are having a hard freeze warning here tonight. I traveled all the way from Brooksville Florida and it was well worth every mile and more. That was one of the better events I have been too in my short time in the CPH hobby. It was a well run tactical scenario coinciding with an awesome but demanding historical March. It was great to be a part of this historic event. It will forever be a memorable one.

I really feel that all of the men and animals responded to the duty asked of them and really brought great work ethic, impressions and a great attitude. My hat is off to the Men of the Illinois Cavalry that really tested our mettle. I was part of that rear guard action that was constantly getting harassed by those Yankee Horsemen. Captain Hicks and I were very close to being overrun by those Troopers at one ppint. Thankfully my pumpkin slinger was reliable when I needed her as it was just enough to scare them off and prevent us from being captured.

To the men of the wagon train, Cam Stinnett and the Mule Drivers. You guys were amazing. After finding out that the wagon broke its tongue and you all repaired it out in the field using a tree must have been a real period moment that was quite difficult on you guys. The men of the TN and KY units were very thankful to see the wagon with our supplies. We would have been some very hungry and sore sots had you all not come through. Thanks for the amazing efforts.

Captain Brian Hicks, Lt. Pete Berezuk, Sgt Johnny Lloyd, Sgt Jerry Hughes, Cpl Fred Baker; your leadership, tactical descion making and care of your men was above and beyond what any soldier could ask for. We were in very good hands and I applaud you all for your efforts.
                    To all my comrades in arms. You were some tough as nails soldiers. We stayed positive and in good spirits despite conditions and the work ahead. I am proud to have served with all of you. I made made new friends and also put many more names to faces again. Such a great expierence. My humble thanks.

Private Pete Paolillo, 48th TN- Fort Donelson

P.S. Brian Thanks for letting us shower and change at your place.Johnny Thanks so much to you and Joni for your hospitality. I enjoyed traveling with you John. Thanks for letting me crash at your place as well. I had a blast.
                    329726_3281097151417_1387200321_3324824_819942380_o.jpg
                    Here is a pic of myself and Sgt Lloyd after the event. Yes I am wearing two coats because I was cold LOL. If anyone has the photo of the company please post it. Thanks
                    Last edited by PetePaolillo; 02-12-2012, 08:59 PM.
                    [SIZE=0]PetePaolillo
                    ...ILUS;)[/SIZE]

Comment

Great event!! On top of the terrain and 150th commemoration, the weather conditions alone made it a wonderfully realistic, authentic experience. Highlight for me was two occasions....

First, with the wagon Friday morning..... we snapped the wagon tongue as we came down the road late morning Friday which broke us down for several hours. Teamster Ronnie Tucker (literally, one of the very few in this country today with real mule/teamster skill sets) and Cam Stinnet immediately grabbed an axe and went into the woods and cut another one. Now this may sound quite simple and even easy but, let me tell you- it was not just any tree but a hard wood “selected” to approximate the proper size and tapering width of the wagon tongue. Then, using the broad ax Tucker shaped the ends and the places where we fit, drilled and re-attached the iron trace chain hardware and bolts from the old tongue onto the new one. After a few hours and a little help from the NPS (they torched off the rusted bolts on the old hardware) we had it and the mules back on the wagon and in motion. Gent’s, that’s as real as it gets! Later the next morning we took the wrong road and had to travel a ways before we found a place to turn around and not without having to chop another tree down in order to make the mules turn in the woods. All in all, an incredibly realistic experience of the trials and tribulation of a CW wagon train with a traveling army!!

Second: The wagon & the cavalry arriving into camp at dark and having to establish camp on a hillside, unload the rations, un-hitch, unsaddle, stretch picket lines, feed & care for the horses & mules, build fires, eat and finally lay down (with NO tents!)- all in the dark under sleeting rain, snow cold conditions. Then, arising early the next morning doing it all again in reverse and marching out in the bitter cold. Some of you infantry boys just have no idea.......

IMHO,....Special Recognition to....

The Cavalry: For bringing two complete impressions (Federal and Confederate) including saddles, bridles, weapons, clothing, accoutrements, etc. and making the changes back and forth from CS to US on Friday morning then back to CS Friday night. All the while making sure the two sets of tack, equipment and uniforms made it from one camp to the next. Big effort!

Ronnie Tucker for his amazing mule skinner talents. Folks, most of us today have no idea what a treat this was or how rare and unique this display was to behold. Not only did Ronnie show us a taste of the lost art of mule skinning but he did it using the “correct” CW method by sitting on the wheel team and using a jerk line to control the team. I am not exaggerating this ... “no- one” in reenacting today does wagon teams this way! Most do it the “Hollywood way” using reins “in hand” from the wagon box but that is not the way most CW quartermaster wagon trains operated. Course, I must say that his authentic “cursing” the mules and everyone around him throughout the event only added to the authentic ambiance and his mule skinner mystic (ha!!)

Cameron Stinnet: For use of his wagon and his strong back, patience and incredibly hard work. For our combined benefit, Cam loaded and unloaded that wagon no less than a dozen times from my observation. Rations, baggage, all of it! He also ran along side the wagon (literally) on hills working the brake, cut trees and helped issue rations. He did a lot of heavy lifting and rarely took a rest. Most of you missed it but everyone owes him a huge thanks!

And finally,.......John Walsh & Jerry Ross: For putting all of this together. Very hard work, lots or pre-event effort and real time organization. Jerry worked like a beaver most of the day and night Thursday night loading and unloading rations, cooking rations etc. Thank you John and Jerry for your planning and hard work to make this an incredibly real experience while commemorating this often overlooked campaign.

A fine, very authentic event for those that attended and a real missed opportunity for those of you that weakened or had to miss it.

Ken R Knopp
                      "Apprentice" Mule skinner
                      Last edited by Ken Knopp; 02-12-2012, 09:15 PM.

Comment

This is a short note about the weekend.

I was allowed the
                        privilege of leading the men who can keep the high standards of the Authentic Campaigner. They did not just talk about doing it. They did it !

There were many who came that took their role serious from privates,mule driver,cavalry, infantry,captains,
                        lieutenants,sergeants and a wagon master.The weather was tough, terrain was rough, but the men were tougher.

It was an honor to lead you.

Now I need to take some more aspirin to help me walk.
                        Jerry Ross
                        Withdraw to Fort Donelson Feb 2012

Just a sinner trying to change

Hog Driver
                        Lead ,Follow or Get out of the way !

Comment

Ken "the wordsmith" Knopp captured the essence of the event much better than I can, so I won't repeat his words, but it was a weekend of extremes and with experiencing sun, rain, sleet, snow, high winds and a temperature on Fri nite/Sat morn that hit 16 degrees, we got a small taste of what our ancestors (I had four that were there) endured 150 years ago.

I do want to say that from a cavalry perspective we were incredibly impressed with the tactics and execution of same by the infantry. And they (the infantry) moved incredibly fast. We traveled at pretty good clips to set up vantage points only to have the "foot cavalry" arrive before we expected. Great Job, fellas (tremendous field command by Brian Hicks).

I will close with my sincere thanks and appreciation to John Walsh and Jerry Ross for the unbelievable amount of work that they did before and during the event. I know how hard that is and they both did an incredible job preparing and executing this one.

Now, I'm gonna grab some of those aspirin that Jerry was speaking of.......................

thanks,

Mark
                          J. Mark Choate
                          7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

I had fun, how 'bout you?

I could go and thank everyone again for the effort put it. Others have written it out already so I'm going to wax a bit philosphical.

The team pulled together. I think a combination of the feared/expected/realized weather conditions caused each man and animal to husband their courage and strength for the ordeal and to put that effort toward the common goal. The animals pulled and carried, the horsemen and wagonners tended their mounts and teams, the officers and non-commissioned officers led and the men cheerfully and immediately performed each duty asked of them.

I've had the pleasure of working with a number of fine groups at various events. "Withdrawing to Fort Donelson" will be in the top tier of my memories. Marching each step of the 14 miles and living the full experience the 48th Tennessee is a memory I will cherish and value. I offer my sincere thanks to everyone from the organizers, through the leaders and to each private soldier. Without each of you it would not have been the same event or as great an experience.

I'll be ready for the next long, hard march. Just let me know when it is!
                            Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

I'm not sure if I had made it clear as to the significance of our arrival time to Fort Donelson, but this is what was going on just minutes before we arrived. We were going to stop at the VC before marching all the way in, but as Jerry and I were riding up, the signing had just been completed and the CWPT, FODO Admin Staff, and Reg Asst Director of the Southeast Region of the NPS were walking out as we rode / marched by.

Sorry, the page you were looking for doesn’t exist. Have you tried our keyword search? Go to the homepage or email us at web@battlefields.org if we...

A fitting ending to a great day !!!

John Walsh
                              John Walsh

Comment

Honestly, my feet haven't been that sore since Ft. Benning and OCS in the field for a couple of weeks.

Our 48th TN by-section 'leapfrogging' Brian Hicks did was masterful. We covered our column rear and kept the blue horsemen at bay whilst reloading. Great teamwork by all in understanding what our leadership wanted to happen so quickly. In real life, we would have been able to hold them off, I think.

Feet still healing... but my heart feels the pride no matter what. ;)
                                Johnny Lloyd
                                John "Johnny" Lloyd
                                Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                                SCAR
                                Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                                Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                                Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                                Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                                X