Hat Eagle/Pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Hat Eagle/Pin

Exactly John, guess that's my point. I think it would be awesome to see how our hats naturally evolve through the weekend rather than someone trying to alter it before hand.
    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
    Former Mudsill
    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

The 1855 model hat was for the cavalry and included a chin strap. This model hat was eventually adopted for the Regular Army as the model 1858 Army Hat, which had some subtle differneces than the 55' model, mainly the exclusion of the chin strap. So to answer Wayne's question, the 55' model cavalry hat would not be appropriate.

Last edited by Lewis Robinson; 10-19-2011, 10:57 AM.
      Lewis M Robinson Jr
      Armory Guards
      Snake Nation Disciples

"They were the dirtiest men I ever saw. A most ragged lean and hungry set of wolves. Yet there was a dash about them that the northern men lacked." Maryland Resident upon seeing the Confederate Army

Comment

Where can I find this bully buy? Thanks

Fred F. Griffin

Comment

Fred, if you are registered for the Paddle-Wheeler Adjunct, you should have received an e-mail from Matt Woodburn about the bully buy to the best of my knowledge.

I'm still in need of a quality repro of the eagle pin for my hat. If anyone knows of a good, quality repro, please let me know. Thanks!
          Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
          Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
          Former Mudsill
          Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Takn the train. Would of liked that offer though. Thanks

Comment

Sorry.
              Fred F. Griffin

Comment

'58 Hardee it is!

Thanks Warren and Lewis for your advice!!

Regards,

Wayne
                Wayne Aymond
                Sgt, 16th La.

"If it were a sin to covet honor, then we were the most offending souls alive"
                - T.G. Pegus, 16th Louisiana Infantry

Comment

Do not telescope the crown or monkey with the brim. It should be worn full height, the brim flat except for the left side (for enlisted men) turned up with the eagle. That is the look we are going for here. If you are forced by reduced circumstances (as am I) to try to "re-new" a slightly worn hat, clean it up as much as you can.

You can punch it down for other uses after the event.

Sorry to draw this thread further off topic. As the little brass eagles were always the province of mainstreamers, I have never owned one, and need to get one myself yet.
                  Arch Campbell
                  Hairy Nation
                  Loyal Union League
                  Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

Fred, send an email to Bill Wickham of Dirty Billys Hats and give him the code "MW" and you'll get the Bully Buy.

Wayne, as Lewis said, the '58 hat is what you want.

Wear your hat as issued new. What Arch said is the way to go. You can even re-shellac your hat to it's original form and stiffness. Use the search function with the word shellac for a great discussion on the AC or Google how to do it and you'll find it.

I know everyone is having a hard time finding a Jeff Davis eagle pin that they are happy with. I've studied alot of originals online recently and talked with Bill Wickham. It seems that no one is making eagles with the "loop" wire in the back and are only a "straight wire" to poke through the felt to hold the brim up. There were a number of slight variations of these brass eagles (just study originals as I did). You could buy one with the straight wire and gently heat it with a soldering iron and replace the straight wire with the loop wire. If you go to that trouble use iron wire as that's what I've seen on the originals I looked at. It's why you'll not often find the wires on dug examples. The iron rusted away and only the brass eagle is left. Then consider this: if you have to decide between seeing a good quality stamped eagle on the outside versus if the unseen wire on the inside is looped or straight, I'd go with the good quality eagle. Bill Wickham told me the guy who makes his eagles uses one of the original dies even though they have the straight wire. I'd go for one off of an original die for quality stamping and if the wire bothers me, I'd fix it like stated above. I don't know what other makes are using to stamp their eagles so I'm unable to comment. Hope this helps.
                    Last edited by Matt Woodburn; 10-20-2011, 02:19 PM.
                    Matt Woodburn
                    Retired Big Bug
                    WIG/GHTI
                    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

So, per 1479. of the revised '61 Regs (1862), the officers need to have their hats looped on the right?

Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                      My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

Read 1479-1490. It can be interpreted two ways. What have people seen on originals and in images where it can be determined what is right and left?
                        Matt Woodburn
                        Retired Big Bug
                        WIG/GHTI

Comment

Ther is another thread on here, linked below, that talks about what side should looped and officers are mentioned. A pard and I looked into this and we looked at a lot of officer photos with dress hats. If I remember correctly we found little that was common including the looped side (or at all) and the amount/type of decoration.

http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...t-Side-Looping
                          Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                          Civil War Digital Digest
                          Sally Port Mess

Comment

God Save The Union! Where in tar-nation can I find a good eagle pin for me Hardee hat? Same as another above, never owned one in all these years! Sorry if a source has been provided and I over looked!
                            Dean Burchfield
                            [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
                            Cleburnes
                            Hard Case Boys
                            Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
                            Napoléon Bonaparte
                            A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

I have several high quality pins left over from a purchase with Tim Sheads a few months back. I intended on replacing the straight wire with the proper hooks but I do not have the time. I believe that I have 4 or 5 of the pins left; if anyone is interested please inquire.
                              Brian White
                              [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                              [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                              [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

OK, since we're looking for direction for the officers...I looked through alot of images of infantry officer Hardees today. They were both looped on the left and right. And the link from the AC discussion earlier this year indicated alot of others found the same. So for those that care, for the 15th Iowa effort at Shiloh, I'd like to see ENLISTED looped on the LEFT, and OFFICERS looped on the RIGHT.
                                Matt Woodburn
                                Retired Big Bug
                                WIG/GHTI

Comment

Working...
                                X