Hat Eagle/Pin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hat Eagle/Pin

OK, I'm getting down to the finer points of getting my impression together for this. Most all of my old sources have disappeared, and I was wondering:

- Do any of y'all have a favorite dealer/seller for these pins used to pin up the brim of the regulation dress hat?? I know in looking at past posts, etc. it seems the quality of these things can vary quite a bit from pretty good down to trash. I know we're not supposed to post a "who makes the best (whatever)" question, but at the same time I don't have money to waste.

Ideas on good repros?
    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
    Former Mudsill
    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Re: Hat Eagle/Pin

Warren, I believe "he who shall not be named" AKA ****** sells some great hat badges. You may want to check his site out.
    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
    Handsome Company Mess
    Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

This isn't a "who makes the best" question. Based upon prior discussion, it appears there is a correct eagle flying with a bunch of readily available junk. The question is, who is selling the correct eagle?

I've been waiting for the bully buy on that one for my Hardee hat even though I'm not going to wear it at this event. (For my officer impression, I'm going likely going to wear a forage cap instead.) I've also had people in my company ask me the same question. I've told them to wait for the eventual bully buy as one is likely to occur.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

NJS does not show any brass insignia but he does have very nice embroidered insignia which is not correct for the enlisted impression. I heard S&S Sutler has some nice ones but I have not seen them myself. However, they all have the wrong attachment so it is the sharpness of the stamping that is being compared.

Is a eagle bully buy for sure? I plan to do a bulk buy for everyone in my company that needs one.
        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
        Civil War Digital Digest
        Sally Port Mess

Comment

Well, I assume everyone has gotten the off-forum e-mail regarding the "Bully Buy" from Matt, however the deal is for a hat & pin combo. I already have a decent hat, just need the pin. Thanks!
          Warren Dickinson

Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
          Former Mudsill

Comment

Does anybody have some good front and back photos of an original?
            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Robert, I've seen some on the net, but none that are mine to post on here.
              Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

Here's one that I have. Note the hook at the bottom for the brim of the hat.
                Front:
                FRONT..jpg
                Back:
                BACK..jpg
                Hook Detail:
                HOOK..jpg

Paul McKee
                Paul McKee

Comment

Thanks Paul! All of the ones of original I found had the hooks or pins broken off.
                  Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

Anyone with soldering capabilities can refurb existing pins. 1/16" brass wire can be found at numerous sites on the interweb, my favorite is speedymetals.com.

On a side note, only a small percentage of what NJ Nick offers is listed on his site. Your best bet would be to email him directly.
                    Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
                    Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

I contacted him on the Facing Book Cody. I know I can solder on hooks, my point was that the photos of the originals I had found did not illustrate them because they were missing, and Paul's photo was of a hat pin in which they were still intact which I felt it would be a better guide than those I had found.
                      Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

Thanks for letting me view those, need one myself.
                        Dean Burchfield
                        [B][FONT="Century Gothic"]WIG [I]The Old Guard[/I][/FONT][/B]
                        Cleburnes
                        Hard Case Boys
                        Green Bottle Mess

[I][U]PM Joseph Warren #71 F & AM [/U][/I]

Un soldat sera long et dur combat pour un peu de ruban de couleur.
                        Napoléon Bonaparte
                        A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

Comment

Pards,

I plan to take advantage of the Hardee Hat Bully Buy. However I've got a question for more learned veterans of this community. Which would be more appriopriate to purchase....the '55 Hardee Hat or the '58 Hardee? Personally, I like the lower profile of the '55 Hardee but I want to make sure I get the correct version before purchase. I also would like to use this hat for both early war and possibly late war events in the future. Also, does it matter much if I get a crease in the hat or the telescope option?

Thanks for the advice!

Wayne
                          Wayne Aymond
                          Sgt, 16th La.

"If it were a sin to covet honor, then we were the most offending souls alive"
                          - T.G. Pegus, 16th Louisiana Infantry

Comment

Wayne,
                            Far be it from me to tout myself as an expert on Federal headgear, but I am unaware of two different models of U.S. Army dress hats of this period. I highly suggest this article by my old pard Paul McKee for your reading pleasure: http://www.33wis.com/articles/pdf/Hardee%20Hat.pdf Note the measurements in the table. All of the originals used for the study fall within 3/8ths of an inch or so in height. (And I admit that my new hat falls outside of these parameters, but it's the best I can do.)

I would also say that at this point creasing, telescoping, and other general alterations would not be the norm. AFAIK (and others please correct me if I am wrong) the powers that be I think are trying for a uniform look of fairly new hats with the brim secured by the eagle pin as opposed to the broken in look that we associate with veteran troops, etc. This is Shiloh and these are fresh troops, not the vets of the Chickamauga/Chattanooga and Atlanta campaigns.
                            Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

"creasing, telescoping, and other general alterations would not be the norm"

I'd say this is definitely the official and desired plan at the time but from an experimental archeology point of view the first night I had mine in the field I tried to use it as a pillow and it put a semi-permanent crease in it. Not sure how long the band box look would/could have been maintained in the field.
                              John Duffer
                              Independence Mess
                              MOOCOWS
                              WIG
                              "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Working...
                              X