March of the Column From California, March 7-11, 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March of the Column From California, March 7-11, 2012

[Gentlemen: This event is posted here because the writer believes it meets the conditions for an EBUFU event. If the moderator(s) disagrees after due consideration, he/they of course can move it wherever he pleases.]

2nd annual “MARCH OF THE CALIFORNIA COLUMN”
    March 7-11, 2012
    Anza-Borrego Desert State Park and vicinity
    San Diego County, California

In the spring of 1862, in response to the Confederate invasion of the New Mexico Territory (present day New Mexico and Arizona), more than 2,000 volunteer troops from California, under the command of Col. James H. Carleton, marched from the vicinity of Los Angeles to Fort Yuma on the Colorado River, and thence onward into the invaded territory. Crossing the great southwestern desert in an attempt to come to grips with the rebels, the Californians had a couple of small brushes with Confederate outposts and one major fight with Apaches. With the enemy already in retreat due to their defeat at Glorieta Pass, the Californians assisted in “seeing the enemy off” to Texas, picking up deserters, sick and wounded along the way. Franklin (El Paso), Texas was occupied, as was (temporarily) Ft. Davis. Maj. Gen. Halleck would later write of the Californians’ advance, saying: "It is one of the most creditable marches on record. I only wish our Army here had the mobility and endurance of the California troops." For the balance of the war, California troops secured New Mexico Territory against further rebel incursions and engaged in several campaigns against the Navajo and Apaches.

We present-day Californians cordially invite our friends on the Authentic Campaigner to join us in March 2012 for our second recreation of a portion of the epic march of the “California Column.” (The first edition was staged in March 2011.) [Yes, we know “Shiloh” is only a couple of weeks after this event; in fact some of our “Californians” are coming to “Shiloh.” But since the “Column” event involves coordination with state and county parks officials, we got the date that was furthest from “Shiloh” that still met their event criteria.]

The event, which will mark the 150th anniversary of the actual movement, will total about 28 miles, spread out over three marching days. On many stretches of the march we will be walking on remnants of the old Butterfield Overland Mail Co. stage route, almost literally in the 150-year old “footprints” of the Column troops. On other stretches, the route will be as close to the historic road bed as modern intrusions and private property considerations will permit. (Yes, I said “modern intrusions.” The organizers’ guiding intent is to re-trace, as nearly as possible, the actual historic route taken by the soldiers we are emulating. This unfortunately takes us near some homes and paved roadway on some stretches. On the other hand, there are some stretches with nothing, or almost nothing, modern in view.) Two of the three marching camps will be on the sites where Column troops actually camped en route. The final night will be spent at the recreated Vallecito station of the Butterfield O.M.C. There will be two points along the march when interaction with modern civilians can be expected -- this "living history" component is part of our "dues" in return for the state and county park officials bending some rules to let us do this march in the first place.

REGISTRATION IS NOW OPEN. The fee of $45 will cover all rations from the first marching day to the end of the event, as well as event expenses. The event’s web site is at:

Rations issued will be of the types and quantities specified by Col. Carleton for the march from Los Angeles to Fort Yuma (see web site). The guiding impression will be: Company E, 1st Infantry Regiment, California Volunteers. Uniforms and equipment will governed by Col. Carleton’s General Order No. 3 (see web site). As we are recreating a stretch of the march that involved no combat, the event scenario does not contemplate any rebel troops or even (at this time) any armed, secesh-inclined civilians trying to reach Texas (by March 1862, A.S. Johnson and L. Armistead had long since flown the coop and we already had Dan Showalter & party in jail).

This is not an event for those weak in the feet, knees or back, or those severely out of condition. The daily marches will be between 8 and 11 miles in length, which is more than enough distance to let you know you haven't gone out to fetch the newspaper. The route is generally "downhill" (i.e., end is at lower elevation than start), but there are some ups and downs along the way. Forecast for blisters is excellent if you don’t know how to care for your feet. If last year was precedent, the weather will include a chance of some rain (we got spritzed a little in the maiden event), wind, and cool to moderately cold nights. Just as the soldiers did on this part of the march, our camping will be strictly bivouacking, with no tents…although the last night will find us with some degree of shelter at the recreated Butterfield station at Vallecito.

Interested parties can have their questions answered here or by writing separately to:

Dom Dal Bello -- djd_93116@yahoo.com
    Dan Munson -- dan.munson@mto.com
    Last edited by Dan Munson; 11-15-2011, 05:55 PM.
    Dan Munson
    Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
    5th Wisc./10th Va.

Re: March of the Column From California, March 7-11, 2012

I'm in.

Thank you,
    Andy Mouradian
    JayBirds Mess

"Snap it up, shake the lead."

[IMG]http://i333.photobucket.com/albums/m400/westernreb/JaybirdMess-2.jpg[/IMG]

Comment

Is it too much to ask if you fellows out west could plan announce such events as this, a little further in advance, than just four months? For an event that will require one day each way travel time, plus the five days at the event, requires some of us a greater lead time to plan our schedule, request vacation, work to de-conflict with other events, etc. The longer events are what I enjoy most, and having been in So-Cal for almost twenty years (humping the hills at Pendleton), it would be great to come back there, even if just to wear scratchy wool and blister my feet, but I can make this one next year, as I have already committed my vacation and travel funds to other events.
      Brian Hicks
      Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Mr. Hicks, we are aware that the notice may seem "short" for many of you guys to the east of us. We could have tossed out a date much earlier, but it would have been a pure hypothetical. Given that we have to plan this event in conjunction with state and county parks officials, it really comes down to when THEY will sit down and plan dates with us. Of course, in thinking about it, I can see where even an approximate time frame may have sufficed to permit someone like yourself to have at least blocked out time and funds for the event. If that would have helped, then the mistake is entirely ours and we apologize for the omission.

Barring some unforeseeable tragedy or some mental dyspepsia on the part of our state and county friends, you may take it as a given that this event (v. 3.0) will repeat sometime in March 2013. That was the time of year when the real Co. E, 1st Calif. V.I. made its trek across the California desert back in 1862.
        Last edited by Dan Munson; 11-16-2011, 11:59 AM. Reason: Typos.
        Dan Munson
        Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
        5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

Dan,

Can you provide an idea about timing? When must participants be on site and when is the expected time the event would be over? I'm guessing it's an arrival Wednesday night, the seventh, with marching on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Sometime early Sunday, the eleventh, would be when folks would commence their treks home. Is that a good guess? I'm just trying to see if I can fit this into my schedule and still go to Shiloh.
          Silas Tackitt,
          one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Wednesday (7 March) arrival - anytime after 12:00 noon - Sunday (11 March) morning wrap-up.

A registration package - with more specifics (i.e. parking/staging area, etc.) will be sent to registered participants
            starting in mid or late January.
            John S. Harmon
            Co. K, 4th US

Comment

Both your assumption and John's response are correct, Mr. Tackitt. An arrival at the assembly area, any time from late morning to evening on Wedenesday, March 7 is OK, although the earlier the better. Ideally, we should be preparing the cooked rations for the first marching day sometime on that day. The Column troops moved from L.A. to the Colorado River on a general diet of fresh beef (yes, the individual marching segments had cows along!) at 1 lb. per man per day, fresh bread (from flour issued and baked over camp fires on the trail) at 1 lb. per man per day, rice or beans, coffee and sugar. The bread preparation takes a little time, although not as much as some might think, if done "right." Bring an appetite -- most of our marchers last year found the prescribed daily ration more than generous. The Column troops did have salt pork along, as well as army bread (hardtack) and "pemmican," but the latter two items seem to have been intended strictly as emergency rations. Salt pork was slated to be issued for two of the estimated 20 marching days.

The event parking area --also the main staging area for our background "logisitics/emergency transportation" team -- is in a fenced and gated area, the specific location of which we don't hand out to any but registered participants. Not that the middle of the Anza Borrego Desert is a high crime area -- it's just an incentive for people to get their registrations in before the cut-off.
              Last edited by Dan Munson; 11-21-2011, 03:25 PM. Reason: Typos
              Dan Munson
              Co. F, 1st Calif. V.I.
              5th Wisc./10th Va.

Comment

Dropped my registration in the mail earlier today. I'm really looking forward to this event!
                [B]Zachary Whitlow[/B]
                Liberty Rifles

[I]"Though I weigh only 120 pounds, when I'm mad I weigh a ton."[/I] - Thomas Starr King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

I've posted photos from the event online at at http://picasaweb.google.com/azreenactor/ and http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=b4059c07e7
                  Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                  1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                  Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Looks like a great march, Troy.
                    Silas Tackitt,
                    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
                    X