Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning Sun

When: June 15 - 17, 2012

Where: Davies Manor Plantation just outside Memphis, TN - Davies Manor was built around 1831, and is the oldest house in Shelby County, TN.

History: At the outbreak of the war, the house was owned by a young couple, James and Francis Davies. In her memoirs, Francis Davies ran the plantation during her husband's (a CS cavalryman) absence. She tells an account of Federal troops coming to the plantation and attempting to steal their last prize horse, which she single-handedly denied them by cutting the horse's bridle from the commanding officer's hand with a butcher knife. Also, on June 30, 1862, a Federal wagon train bound for Memphis was attacked by Confederate cavalry (some accounts say it was the 7th Tennessee), resulting in 8 destroyed wagons and approximately 50 casualties on either side. According to the account, Francis watched the battle from the upstairs window of the manor house.

What: Recreating the small community of Morning Sun, circa June 1862. There will be a Federal contingent (led by Greg Richardson), which will portray troops patrolling from Memphis. A Confederate contingent (led by Michael Comer) will also be on site. There will be a carefully scripted engagement each day, portraying the skirmish at Morning Sun.

On site, there is the manor house itself, plus 3 log cabins of varying size, and a commissary. The property is also fenced with split-rail fencing throughout. The main idea behind this event is to recreate the community and it's everyday life, with the military as a side show. Due to the small size of the site, numbers will be limited (more information on numbers to come later).
    John Spain
    4th Tennessee / 25th Indiana

sigpic
    "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Re: Morning Sun

Will there be any room for civilians at this event?

Joni Pratt
    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 03-04-2012, 12:18 AM.

Comment

Yes. I want the main focus of the event to be the working civilian community. So far, I've only got a couple of folks committed to come civilian. Please let me know if you're interested.

Oh, and by the way, you need to sign all your posts with your full name. This will keep you out of trouble with the moderators.:wink_smil
      John Spain

sigpic
      "If you surrender, you will be treated as prisoners of war, but if I have to storm your works, you may expect no quarter." Forrest

Comment

There will be a site walk-thru on April 14. We will be judging the site's potential and hashing out scenarios for the event. Anyone interested is most welcome to come along.
        John Spain

sigpic

Comment

I'd be interested the event as a civilian, depending on what's planned. Just ask Michael Comer what I enjoy, or get him to describe Independence Village. If it's like that, I'll be there. :)

Hank Trent
          hanktrent@gmail.com
          Hank Trent

Comment

Civilian sounds good to me on this one if I can make it.
            Johnny Lloyd
            John "Johnny" Lloyd
            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
            SCAR
            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Mr. Trent, first off, it was a pleasure getting to meet you in person at New Madrid. I went to the site and looked it over again, and am afraid I told you wrong. The cabins on site do indeed all have metal roofs.
              John Spain

sigpic

Comment

Apparently, building restoration or (re)construction has a whole different culture and mindset than living history, and while reenactors would find it silly to see a field slave wearing broadcloth or a Georgia clay-eating woman in a silk ballgown, the out-of-place juxtaposition of a tin roof on a cheap 1860s cabin just doesn't seem to matter to them. Unless I'm overlooking some research on the use of tin roofs on lower-class period buildings. We imported eastern white cedar shingles from Canada because western red cedar wasn't common in the antebellum east, and nobody cared, so yeah, it's all about just being old-timey.

But I'm training myself not to care about anything having to do with buildings anymore, and just trying to focus on people these days, and it sounds like you've got plans for something that could be an excellent event. My wife's interested in coming too, and I'd like to encourage some more of the Independence Village folks to attend. Please keep us updated!

Hank Trent
                hanktrent@gmail.com
                Last edited by Hank Trent; 03-15-2012, 02:59 AM.
                Hank Trent

Comment

I have registration up now. Please copy and print, fill out, and mail to the address at the bottom, along with your registration fee. Thanks. You can also follow us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/groups/308855319167707/

Name: ___________________________

Mess or Unit Affiliation: ____________________________

Address: _______________________________________

Phone: __________________________

Email: __________________________________________

Medical Conditions: _______________________________

If you have any medical training, please list your level and state of certification here:

NO WALK ONS! Registration fee is $30. A portion of this fee will be used to procure rations and provide a bounty for wagons to attend. Any remaining funds will be donated to Davies' Manor Plantation. Please indicate below which impression you will be participating as:

Civilian __ Wagons __

U.S. Infantry __ C.S. Cavalry __

C.S. Cavalry (dismounted) __

Please send all registrations and fees to:

John Spain

8298 George Brett Dr.

Cordova, TN 38018
                  John Spain

sigpic

Comment

Hi John,

I sent you an email, but what roles are available for civilians? Time is getting awfully close to work out family/employer relationships, do research, etc. If the answers are on the Facebook page, that's blocked from view for anyone without a Facebook account.

Hank Trent
                    hanktrent@gmail.com
                    Hank Trent

Comment

Hank, sent you a reply email.
                      John Spain

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by WestTN_reb View Post
                        Hank, sent you a reply email.
                        Got it. Thanks!

Hank Trent
                        hanktrent@gmail.com
                        Hank Trent

Comment

I put this event on my units list and it looks like we have 3 that are interested in going so far. What would be appropriate for Confederate dismounted? We typically do Confederate infantry.
                          Andrew Gale

21st Arkansas Vol. Inf. Co. H
                          Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                          Affiliated Conscripts Mess

Cpl. George Washington Pennington, 171st Penn. Co. K
                          Mustered into service: Aug. 27, 1862
                          Captured: Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864
                          Died: Andersonville Prison, Georgia, Sept. 13, 1864
                          sigpic

Comment

An infantry impression will be fine. If our research is correct, and the 7th Tennessee was involved in the skirmish at Morning Sun, many of them were outfitted as mounted infantry.
                            John Spain

sigpic

Comment

Great! I will let everyone know and see who else can make it!
                              Andrew Gale

21st Arkansas Vol. Inf. Co. H
                              Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
                              Affiliated Conscripts Mess

Cpl. George Washington Pennington, 171st Penn. Co. K
                              Mustered into service: Aug. 27, 1862
                              Captured: Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864
                              Died: Andersonville Prison, Georgia, Sept. 13, 1864
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X