Chickamauga, Kershaw's Birgade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chickamauga

2nd SC regiment and the 3rd SC Battalion will be represented at this event. Again the same gentlemen who brought you 15th Iowa, 4th Tx and 2nd Mississippi regiments are gathering to put this on. With a addition of Chris Anders and his Southern Division messes to form the 3rd SC Battalion.

Just a update

Next will be some of the vendor information about the BG kersey and jacket assembly options to fit all budgets.

Cheers
    Skip
    [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
    [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

Re: Chickamauga

I thought this might be of interest to some. This flag recently sold at auction for $58,650 I'm not sure who bought it though. There was information that came with it, but it says the flag was brought home from Appomattox and the 2nd surrendered in NC.

HISTORIC ANV BATTLE FLAG OF THE 2ND SC, PALMETTO REGIMENT. This battle flag from direct family decent of Samuel Gaillard Pinckney who served in this regiment through the end of the war and saved the flag from surrender. A family document accompanying this flag states that in the last battle of Lee's Army, Sailor's Creek April 6, 1865, that Pinckney took this flag from the 2nd of two killed color bearers and carried it proudly during the remainder of the battle. Lee would surrender his forces three days later and Pinckney would be taken prisoner but rather than surrender the flag he took it off the staff and tied it around his waist. After the surrender and end of open hostilities, Pinckney returned home with the flag and became the custodian of the colors until his death. This flag has been passed down through the family and will finally be given a new custodian and hopefully permanent place of honor with it's sale. This flag was on display at the Citadel where Pinckney was a cadet at the beginning of the war. This flag would have been donated to the Citadel museum in Charleston but since no guarantee of permanent display could be offered by this grand southern institution the family has elected to sell it. There is an in depth report from flag historian Greg Biggs accompanying this flag along with genealogy and documents of provenance from family. Note that Pickney's regiment, according to history, was with Johnson's Army of TN at wars end in NC & not VA. Family history may be wrong - regardless, this is a wonderful flag. PROVENANCE: Samuel G. Pinckney, G. Pinckney Darby and family. CONDITION: This flag is in overall very good condition measuring 48 x 48-1/4" with 2-1/4" canvas hoist with 3 hand sewn whipped eyelets which the top and bottom ones are ripped as can be seen in photos. Configuration of this flag with 3-1/4" hand sewn stars is consistent with flags issued just after the battle of Chancellorsville. Colors on flag are very good as can be seen on photos with staining and soiling consistent with hard use. There are possibly 20 holes in flag consistent with battlefield damage from projectiles such as mine balls & shell fragments. Flag is mostly intact with sewing loose on edging in several areas especially top quadrant at fly. Flag retains 9 of it's orig stars with the others being apparently souvenired but halos of the dbl applique stars still visible as can be seen in photos. There is 20" long by 4" tapering polished cotton strip retaining the words "2nd Regiment, Kershaw's Brigade" now laid in top quadrant of flag being now unattached. There is a straight pin still attached to hoist which possibly held this identifying strip of cloth in place during it's use. 4-45673 JS89 (50,000-100,000) [sale: Gun Fall 12]

Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 11-04-2012, 05:41 PM. Reason: I cant spell
      Tyler Underwood
      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
      Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Starting I believe next week, I have to commit to vacation weeks for all of 2013. I am guessing this event will be the weekend of Sept. 22, thereabouts, can you tell me if this is correct so I take the right week of vacation? Thanks.
        Your most obedient servant and comrade,
        James C. Schumann
        Mess #3
        Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Tyler Underwood
          Pawleys Island #409 AFM
          Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Thank you most kindly, sir.
            Your most obedient servant and comrade,
            James C. Schumann
            Mess #3
            Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Skip! Stoked on Kershaw's Brigade!
              Michael Clarke
              Liberty Rifles
              True Blues
              Black Hats

Comment

Seems to be quite a bit of interest in this effort. Here are some of the details:

We will have 2 regiments fully represented at this event. They are:

2nd SC regiment under Mr Brian Hicks. Their companies are filled

3rd SC Battalion under Mr Chris Anders

We will have a working Brigade staff with the documented numbers Gen Kershaw had, and a fully functioning Brigade level commissary under Bill Birney and Joe Caridi.

As everyone already knows the impression is the BG Kersey RD jacket. Optional are the issue blue trousers and BG Kersey Kepi. English or ANV accouterments are preferred. The returns have 50/50 of soldiers issued knapsacks. Weapon of choice is the p53.

All company commanders for the 2nd are notified of the details. The next info to put out is our registration plan. More than likely we will have everyone register on the event site and for the "adjunct" we will keep tabs by those who have payed ration money. Rations will be 15$ for this and I trust you all know we will have your experience in mind for this amount of $.

The Adjutant of the 2nd and the commander will put out more details of their plan for the rations and registrations.

Thanks gents!
                Skip
                [B][I]Skip Owens[/I][/B]

EMAIL:[EMAIL="saltwaterboy01@gmail.com"]saltwaterboy01@gmail.com[/EMAIL]

[U]Southern Guard Living History Assn.
                [URL="http://www.southernguard.org"]http://www.southernguard.org[/URL]

The Company of Military Historians[/U]

Comment

SCAR is looking forward to having a company in the 2nd SC.

Thanks for the update and info,
                  Jim Butler
                  SCAR
                  Jim Butler

Comment

Still concerned about force ratios these days Jim?

Just kidding. You guys are going to have a blast I am sure...
                    Mike Phineas
                    Arlington, TX
                    24th Missouri Infantry
                    Independent Volunteer Battalion
                    www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Skip, I spoke to the AG guys, and Brian Hicks the other day about this, we are definitely ready for this one.
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

How does one figure out a CO to apply to? Registration is open but I do not know who to fall in under. Also If some one could pm or post here are we going with blue jean trousers or english royal blue?.. Thanks to all those who organized this and the efforts of those helping equip the ones who want to attend!!

Chris

Comment

The "blue" trousers option Skip mentioned are the English "imported" blue trousers/Royal blue. (whatever we are calling them these days)
                          Herb Coats
                          Armory Guards &
                          WIG

Comment

I have real and legitimate concerns regarding the force ratios for the upcoming 150th Chickamauga reenactment.

Fact 1: The reenacting community as a whole is disproportionally Confederate. The battle reenactment is of a Confederate victory in the deep South. Local Union reenactor numbers are quite small and the geographic distance of the event from the Northern states is great. This coupled with the fact that the Union tactically lost the battle, may curb the enthusiasm of a number of Northern reenactors to attend.

Fact 2: It appears that almost the entire hardcore/progressive spectrum is portraying Confederate units for this battle. There is a 10 Company adjunct portraying the 2nd SC Infantry Rgmt., The Southern Division is portraying the 3rd SC Battalion, and The Independent Rifles are forming a 5 company Western Confederate battalion.

Fact 3: A large percentage of Confederate units in the mainstream community do not galvanize. I commend the units that do, but I have noticed that when such units do galvanize, a number of their impressions are incomplete. Some of them only don a blue jacket and consider it good (nevermind their gray kepi and gray pants). It is also not uncommon to see a few troops in galvanized units with no Yankee clothing article whatsoever.

Questions:

Do the event organizers have any type of policy in to ensure accurate force ratios?

If not, is there any reason to expect the event to have a substantial amount of Union troops, so that the force ratios are even (or at least close to even)?

Will there be any bare minimum uniform requirements for southern units that will be asked to galvanize for the event (ie. Must have Blue coat, sky blue pants, blue forage/black hat)?

I am in no ways trying to rain on anybodys parade, Hell, I’m excited about the upcoming event! But I will pose the question…should maybe the progressive/hardcore community consider participating exclusively Union in future mainstream reenactments that are held in the lower Southern states?

Just my 2 cents…

Weldon Svoboda

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Pard View Post
                              I am in no ways trying to rain on anybodys parade, Hell, I’m excited about the upcoming event! But I will pose the question…should maybe the progressive/hardcore community consider participating exclusively Union in future mainstream reenactments that are held in the lower Southern states?
                              Weldon, not to sound too flippant... but that's got about as much chance of happening as a snowball fight in hades.

The community is too fractured for a "policy" of that kind to be implemented.

Nor, should such a thing be done. From my view the Authentic Community has always been looking for opportunities to portray history and for that to happen a leader or leaders need to make an event plan and sell it to their comrades and then sell it to the community. Putting rules in the way will only stifle innovation and experimentation.

As far as force ratios, that is the event's problem. The BGA has made the effort to enforce it and I think they did a decent job of it at Shiloh this year. I fully expect them to do what they can with the even more fractured mainstream community.
                              Your Obedient Servant,

Peter M. Berezuk

Comment

In my opinion, what really helped force ratios at Shiloh was Matt Woodburn and the WIGS putting together a 300+ man battalion to form the 15th Iowa. The BGA does have a galvanization policy, and from what I've seen most of the CSA units that have done so in the past have been pretty stand up about it. As a Fed, I'm not going to flip out if a few guys in a galzanizing battalion have reb gear. I'm happy to have them.

Tactical policy has been for CSA battalions to cycle through the battles to get their trigger time. Again, these boys have been pretty cool about this as well. In general, I've been pleasantly surprised. At Prairie Grove, some of them barely got in the fight, but nobody broke scenarios and we put on a fairly decent portrayal of the battle.

As for Chickamauga, it is what it is. I'm not going to expect the WIG to do blue again, and in fact they have a magnificent weekend planned for their guys impression-wise. No, I don't begrudge them at all, especially in light of the WIG traditionally being a CSA outfit. Will the event be an 'alamo' for Feds? Lol... Probably. We'll all bring 300 rounds and gloves to hold our scalding rifles... What would really help? If some of our Eastern brothers showed up. We'll get some, but surely not in any large organized body.
                                Mike Phineas
                                Arlington, TX
                                24th Missouri Infantry
                                Independent Volunteer Battalion
                                www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Working...
                                X