Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24th Mich - CPH Brigade at BGA Gettysburg June 27-30, 2013

Men,
    You are invited to take part in the 1st Battalion of the Progressive Brigade that is being put together for the BGA Gettysburg. On June 27-30, 2013.

The Iron Brigade Impression for this battalion will be the 24th Michigan. It is being commanded by Will Eichler and one of the wing commanders will be Pat Craddock. There will be rations issued at the brigade level, sleeping on arms, preservation effort is in the works specifically for this battalion and other must have plans for a good adjunct are coming together.

This site has the info you need such as staff, company info, history and more for the battalion. The researched uniform standards are posted below for your convenience.
    http://unionreenactor.com/1stregiment.html

Registration is being handled on the brigade level here:
    https://sites.google.com/site/wester...e/registration

We are looking for a couple more good company commanders to raise a company. If you are interested and have the support please contact me. The goal is 5-6 25 man companies plus staff.

Any questions please let me know.

Jeremy Bevard
    Adjutant, 24th Michigan “recreated”

Uniform Guidelines
    Uniform and Equipment: The 24th Michigan was a member unit of the Iron Brigade, but a late comer to the unit, and consequently had a different uniform in some slight ways to the rest of the brigade.

Hats: The 24th was issued M1858 Dress “Hardee” hats on 23 May, 1863, meaning they had those hats for a little over a month before the battle. There is no evidence that they were issued any hat brass at the same time, though there is ample evidence that they would have been wearing the First Division, First Corps badge of a red circle or “full moon” as it was sometimes referred to by the troops in the corps. This hat was a special point to the unit, as they hadn’t been able to procure any from army supply prior to this point, and it was the indentifying mark of the brigade.
    1. Hardee Hat - lightly trimmed if desired. All men will be offered cloth corp badges provided by regimental staff.

Coats: Returns show fatigue blouses and frock coats in even proportation; approximately 50% of the unit would have had frocks. There is a large amount of evidence to the use of both in the 24th through photos.
    1. Fatigue Blouse
    2. Frock Coat

Trousers: All photographic and written evidence points to the men of the unit having light blue infantry pattern trowsers.
    1. Sky blue Enlisted trousers

Shirt:
    1. Military Issue wool shirt - depot produced or contract variant
    2. Properly constructed civilian shirt of cotton, linen or wool

Knapsacks: Colonel Morrow was specifically directed to drop packs before going into battle on 1 Jul, an order he chose to ignore. Consequently, we know that the men not only had Federal packs, but that they were wearing them during the fighting on 1 Jul, and that the survivors would have had them on 2 Jul on Culps Hill.

Rifles: The 24th Michigan received M1861 Springfield Rifled Muskets when it was armed and entered service. Its ordnance returns for the Fredericksburg Campaign reflect its use of these weapons, with no exceptions.
    1. M1861 Springfield
    2. M1863 Springfield
    3. M1853 Enfield
    Please avoid any .69 caliber weapons or Lorenz's.

Colors: The 24th Michigan had a 9 man color guard at Gettysburg, with 1 sergeant and 8 corporals. They were custodians of one national flag, produced by Tiffany and Co, and presented to the regiment in Detroit, prior to departing for the war. The regiment was without a regimental flag at this time. All members of the color guard were killed or wounded in the engagement. We are working on and hopefully should have the use of reproduced 24th Michigan flag.
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Re: 24th Mich - CPH Brigade at BGA Gettysburg June 27-30, 2013

This effort sounds intriguing. I think I might come out and play with you fellows.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

Love to have you Mike!
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

Gents,

I'm thrilled to introduce the first five men who have stepped forward to raise companies for the First Progressive Regiment for BGA Gettysburg. We hope to have two more in the next week or so. Thanks to:

Mike Comer
        Sean Cowger
        Scott Cummings
        Andy Roscoe
        Thomas Steele

We are making good progress! I hope we'll have the 2nd impression secured in the next week or two.

Best regards,
        Will
        Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
        Saginaw City Light Infantry
        Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
        Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
        http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
        www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Yeah Mike we do come out your way way more than you' ll come out ours. I would like to do Son of Marmaduke's but that drive is just to much and I would go fed so I can stay high and dry, HAHA, I liked that event, it was allot of fun and well worth it.
          Thomas J. Alleman
          "If the choice be mine, I chose to march." LOR

Comment

Originally posted by Will Eichler View Post

We are making good progress! I hope we'll have the 2nd impression secured in the next week or two.

Best regards,
            Will
            Is the 2nd Impression taking suggestions? And I do plan on coming for this one. Already very excited

Comment

Gents,

I'm thrilled to welcome Mike Comer as a company commander to the First Progressive Regiment! Thanks for stepping forward, Mike!

Additionally, I was notified of a decision last night for the brigade's 2nd impression. We will portray Lockwood's Brigade of the 12th Corp. Our regiment will portray the 1st Maryland Potomac Home Brigade.

It is interesting in that the Iron Brigade pretty much leads the Order of Battle of the Army of the Potomac and this brigade is just about dead last. I'll have a lot more information on our website after the weekend. I have some commitments I can't shirk sadly.

Bes
              Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
              Saginaw City Light Infantry
              Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
              Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
              http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Originally posted by Will Eichler View Post
                Gents,
                It is interesting in that the Iron Brigade pretty much leads the Order of Battle of the Army of the Potomac and this brigade is just about dead last.
                Couldn't of said it better myself.
                Joe Beedle

http://www.2ndminnesota.com

http://thesheepfarm.org

Comment

I have a question... If the battalion is going to be on the move all weekend, and switching out impressions from Iron Brigade Hardee hat to 12th Corp forage cap (presumably), what are we to do with our $100 Tim Bender hats? Hate to shove mine in my knapsack to get squashed.

Just sayin.
                  Mike Phineas
                  Arlington, TX
                  24th Missouri Infantry
                  Independent Volunteer Battalion
                  www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

I answered Mike's question on the other forum but didn't post it here until now "I know 1st battalion we have talked and have some plans in thought. None include you carrying your Hardee hat or having to find it in a pile of hats inside a wall tent."
                    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                    Civil War Digital Digest
                    Sally Port Mess

Comment

We welcome to the battalions ranks Dom Dal Bello who will serve as Lieutenant Colonel. Along with Dom brings another two companies. While the details of company commanders is being finalized, I can say one company will be raised from AoP and Colorado boys and the other will be based out of the Frontier Brigade and Holmes Brigade. Welcome aboard! That brings the battalion portraying the 24th Mich/1st MPHB up to 7 companies.

Here are some handy links to have:
                      1st Battalion Website
                      http://unionreenactor.com/1stregiment.html

Impression Info has been updated
                      http://unionreenactor.com/24MichGuide.html

Registration
                      https://sites.google.com/site/wester.../1st-battalion

Any questions feel free to send me a PM, post here or email.

Battalion Adjutant
                      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                      Civil War Digital Digest
                      Sally Port Mess

Comment

Battalion Structure to date:
                        Colonel Will Eichler
                        Lt Colonel Dom Del Bello
                        Major Pat Craddock
                        Adjutant Jeremy Bevard
                        Sgt Major Nathan “Holler” Hellwig
                        Qm/Commissary James Rapai & Jim Crawford
                        Musician Robert Cook
                        Captain Scott Cummings (Mich/Bombproof Mess)
                        Captain Andy Roscoe (Mich/Western Rifles)
                        Captain Tom Steele (Sally Port Mess/ONV)
                        Captain Mike Comer (New Madrid Guard)
                        Captain Sean Cowger (Prodigal Sons Mess/36th IL)
                        Captain TBD (AoP)
                        Captain TBD (Frontier & Holmes Brigade)
                        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                        Civil War Digital Digest
                        Sally Port Mess

Comment

Just submitted my registration via pay pal for the seventh company. I'm sure there will be more following suit shortly.
                          Mike Phineas
                          Arlington, TX
                          24th Missouri Infantry
                          Independent Volunteer Battalion
                          www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Gents,

To help provide more information for the 1st Progressive Regiment for BGA Gettysburg, I am planning a trip to the University of Michigan - Ann Arbor's Bentley Historical Library to review the book, "Our National Liberties - the Dearest Rights of Freemen: Company F, 24th Michigan Vol. Infantry".

Hopefully, this book will offer some information for Company F and the 1st Progressive Regiment for our portrayal of the 24th Michigan at Gettysburg.

Company F is looking for good men to fill her ranks. We are comprised of member of the Old Northwest Volunteers and the Sally Port Mess. This company will maintain high standards throughout the BGA event. If you are a campaigner without a home for BGA Gettysburg, contact me for information about joining Company F. Thomas Steele - hy80steele@yahoo.com

The ONV has endorsed BGA Gettysburg as a max effort event. Company F has the honor to host them as their home company. If you seek a quality experience, register with Captain Steele in the ONV/SPM Company with the below link!

1st Progressive Regiment - Murray's Brigade Registration: ONV/SPM - Steele Company
                            https://sites.google.com/site/westernbrigade/registration/1st-battalion

24th Michigan, Company F - BGA Gettysburg Facebook Page
                            https://www.facebook.com/pages/24th-...11906555648553

Your Obedient Servant,
                            Thomas Steele
                            Company F, 24th Michigan - 1st Maryland PHB.
                            BGA Gettyburg, June 27-June 30, 2013.
                            Thomas Steele
                            Sally Port Mess
                            Old Northwest Volunteers

Marmadukes Raid II
                            BGA Gettysburg - 24th Mich, Co. F
                            Fort Sanders - 20th Mich

Comment

"Captain Steele of a Deal!" - Until April 15th ONLY

This is NOT to water down standards for this company for sake of numbers. With the hard economy and other registration fee deadlines pending, this is a helping hand for the C/P/H community. We are looking for serious campaigners with a good kit, good attitude, and a hardy spirit for a quality experience at BGA Gettysburg.

Captain Steele offers a $5 per man registration incentive to the next 20 men who register for the "ONV/SPM - Steele" Company (Company F) of the 1st Progressive Regiment of Murray's Brigade for BGA Gettysburg.

Shirkers and Tenderfoots need not apply

"ONV/SPM - Steele" Company, 1st Progressive Regiment, Murray's Brigade Registration Link

https://sites.google.com/site/wester.../1st-battalion
                              Thomas Steele
                              Sally Port Mess
                              Old Northwest Volunteers

Marmadukes Raid II
                              BGA Gettysburg - 24th Mich, Co. F
                              Fort Sanders - 20th Mich

Comment

Working...
                              X