This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• non spectator event

i was told from a friend that back when he was younger in the reenacting (80's) he would go to a campaigner event where they would have units from around come and practice military drills and have battles where it was nothing but reenactors. he made it sound like it was units that came together and played army for the weekend it sounded relay cool and would be a great way to get a good feel for what it was like in the real army. i was just wondering if anybody new of any such events.

Austin Kirkland
    "just a poor man fighting a rich mans war"
    Austin Kirkland

Re: non spectator event

This sounds like the tactical that used to be at the Army training site in Owensboro, Ky. I might be mistaken but I think when I went back in 96 it was the last one.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Austin,

Do a search for "emersion" events, you will find a wealth of information.

For reenacting history's sake, a great many events in the 70s and very early 80s were private.
      Jim Kindred

Comment

Agreed on the history of reenacting. Back in the 70s, the old Sherman's Bummers used to hold private events offsite the same weekend as the large Gettysburg event. During the 80s, tacticals with umpires seemed to be then rage followed by immersion events in the 90s. Always hated doing public battle reenactments, with spectators in bleachers, announcers with PA systems etc.
        Last edited by CompanyWag; 08-09-2013, 04:34 PM.
        Paul McKee

Comment

I have always thought reenacting sold its soul to the Devil when it went from private to public.

Originally posted by CompanyWag View Post
          Agreed on the history of reenacting. Back in the 70s, the old Sherman's Bummers used to hold private events the same weekend as the large Gettysburg event. During the 80s, tacticals with umpires seemed to be then rage followed by immersion events in the 90s. Always hated doing public battle reenactments, with spectators in bleachers, announcers with PA systems etc.
          Last edited by JimKindred; 08-09-2013, 01:07 PM.
          Jim Kindred

Comment

Austin,

Immersion events, as well as living histories at federal/state battlefield parks, are something we try to focus on, as much as we can. So, to answer your question: Yes! These events still take place.
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

thanks for the help. dose anyone know of any coming up i would love to be apart of one because i relay think it takes away the authenticity being out there with all the main stream guys with helicopters flying around videoing you.

Austin Kirkland
              "just a poor man fighting a rich mans war"
              Austin Kirkland

Comment

A place to start when looking for events would be to view the very folder in which you have commenced this thread.

To prevent the effusion of blood in the van by the advanced guard into the piney woods, this thread has surrendered like Lee, Johnston and Old Pem.
                Silas Tackitt,
                one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
                X