• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bermuda Hundred AAR's

I had fun. How about you?
    ERIC TIPTON
    Former AC Owner

Re: Bermuda Hundred AAR's

I'm sitting in my kitchen drinking coffee doing that moderator thing and see this post about the event being over already. I haven't even brushed my teeth yet, and the event's over. Jeez.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

It was outstanding. Definitely one of the best experiences I've had so far in the hobby.

The coolest thing that sticks out in my mind was the Saturday morning engagement. My small company (H, 30th Virginia) was tasked with guarding the retreat and sharpshooter duties (we had a Corporal with a Whitworth rifle), and while we were waiting for you boys in blue to advance down the road, all of the smoke from the previous engagement came wafting through trees towards our position. It was like something out of a movie.

It was also great to meet you and a bunch of other folks!
      Thomas T. "Tommy" Warshaw III

Comment

I don't think it's fair to judge an event when you weren't there. By the time Mr. Tipton posted this we had been up for three hours, cooked and eaten breakfast, brushed our teeth, had church call, and fought a battle. I appreciate the event organizers taking into consideration people that have long drives.

That being said, I felt the event was a total success. Kudos to the event organizers. It was great to meet new people. I also agree that the Saturday battle was pretty awesome. My platoon (2nd platoon, 15th VA, Co. B) were deployed as skirmishes on the left flank. We moved up to within 20 yards of the federal line and received a well timed volley from our front, taking heavy casualties.

Thanks to everyone involved, organizers and living historians, for making this worth the ten hour drive up from Georgia.
        Chadd M. Wilson
        WIG
        Armory Guards
        Black Hat Boys

Comment

Thank you for setting Mr. Tackett straight on this fantastic event, Chadd. And thanks to you and all the Black Hat boys for including me in your mess palace this weekend. I have never felt more welcome or included, and I ate well, too.

What an opportunity to dig, cut trees, dodge pot shots, and build earthworks. Not something you get to do everyday.

Bravo to Mr. Pagano for all his hard work, to all the participants for truly embracing the Friday evening suck, and to
          Chesterfield County for letting us play on its property.

Kind regards,

Joseph Knight

Originally posted by cwilson View Post
          I don't think it's fair to judge an event when you weren't there. By the time Mr. Tipton posted this we had been up for three hours, cooked and eaten breakfast, brushed our teeth, had church call, and fought a battle. I appreciate the event organizers taking into consideration people that have long drives.

That being said, I felt the event was a total success. Kudos to the event organizers. It was great to meet new people. I also agree that the Saturday battle was pretty awesome. My platoon (2nd platoon, 15th VA, Co. B) were deployed as skirmishes on the left flank. We moved up to within 20 yards of the federal line and received a well timed volley from our front, taking heavy casualties.

Thanks to everyone involved, organizers and living historians, for making this worth the ten hour drive up from Georgia.
          Joe Knight

Armory Guards
          Yocona Rip Raps
          "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Engagement Near Bermuda Hundred!!!

Fortress Monroe-

A series of engagements erupted near the small fishing village of Bermuda Hundred on the James River as it appears that General Butler’s Army of the James is advancing towards Richmond! The “ball” opens with a brisk morning skirmish in a dense and swampy thicket. The action is hard to discern through the dense springtime vegetation and smoke from the guns. Recent rains hold the smoke close to the earth rendering it impossible to see twenty yards into the distance. At first, the “rebel yell” is clearly heard advancing above the rattle of musket fire. Is all lost for the Union attackers? No! Soon the booming “huzzas” of the brave 39th Illinois Infantry are heard over the guns, as the boys in blue gallantly sweep the vanquished foe from the field.

The observer follows the stretcher bearers to the front and is pleased to witness that no opportunity has yet presented itself for these men to ply their gruesome trade. Considerable maneuvering from both armies commences on roads ankle deep with mud. The movement is slow and the rear of the Union column finds itself harassed by Rebel cavalrymen throughout the pursuit causing much agitation in the men. As the victorious column reaches a point several miles distant from Port Walthall, the order to “unsling knapsacks” rings out. The Rebels have been caught! The time has come for the final charge! Suddenly, a battery of rebel guns opens on the brave men from Illinois. Skirmishers are rushed forward to ascertain the strength of the enemy and clear the way for a bayonet charge.

The Rebels hold a slight ridge, which affords them great protection. Additionally, the southern defenders have strengthened their position with earthworks of timber, rock, and dirt. The order to “advance” is given and the brave men of Terry’s Brigade coolly move toward the awaiting defenders. The gallant advance is ground to a halt as it reaches a point fifty yards from the Rebel lines. The stretcher bears now find themselves with more work than they can handle. The Confederate guns make for hard work for the attackers. The stubborn blue clad line is forced back! Not a man runs, but each deliberately follows the orders given by their officers and withdraw with the coolness of battle hardened veterans. The line safely withdraws a few hundred yards to the rear. The thick vegetation renders this spot one of relative safety for the fighting men from Illinois to reform and prepare for another attack. But not attack is ordered. Is this a mistake? No! The men are ordered to fell trees and prepare ramparts of their own! Skirmishers are moved forward to observe the enemy and allow the remainder of the regiment to fortify the lines. Shovels, axes, and picks appear from the rear. Soon, the muskets are stacked and the forest is alive with action. Men are chopping trees, digging earth, and gathering materials to impede any advance from the enemy. A formidable line of earthworks appears in less time than it would take these men to boil their coffee!

An eerie calm falls over the field. The skirmishers are withdrawn and a line of pickets is established well to the front of the Union lines. The companies take turns supplying men for this noble duty. The men settle into their new subterranean homes, as their commanding officers meet to plan a solution to their problem. How are they to advance? It is said that General Butler’s Army consists of well over 30,000 men. General Beauregard, whose forces oppose Butler’s Army, is rumored to be at much closer to 15,000. Has General Butler just allowed himself to be trapped by a force nearly half his size? This cannot please General Grant, who, it is believed, has started his own thrust to Richmond.
            Fire along the line is sporadic. A shot rings out from the Confederate works. It harmlessly wizzes over the trench. Two Union soldiers return fire with the same result, and so the game continues. The men spend their time improving their position. What was once a pile of logs with a shallow trench to its rear, is now a formidable wall of earth. A trench has been dug in the front and more logs have been added to the top of the works. On the reverse, the trench is also deepened and the floor is corduroyed to facilitate movement and comfort. The men can now stand and fire through a space afforded between the top of the trench and “head log.” The works provided such protection, it begs one to wonder if an attack will ever be made.

Alas! Sharp firing commences along the picket line and shouts of “Sargent of the Guard, post ___” ring out from the front. Soon, the pickets are driven in. This can only mean the Rebels are advancing! Almost instantly the fight commences. The roar of musketry and cannon is deafening! On comes the gray-clad line. Many fall from the accurate fire of the men from Illinois. The Rebels surge forward and again the wicked “Rebel yell” fills the air. O, on they come! The line has reached the Union works! In the center, the Rebels are now over the works! How can this be? Is all lost? Wait! The line is re-established and the breach is closed. The fire is too intense for the Rebels to stay any longer and so they retreat to their own works. The wounded and prisoners are sent to the rear. The pickets are re-established and the two armies are contented to watch each other once more.

Following the engagement, the observer spoke with the Major of the 39th Illinois. He reports that nine or ten men were wounded, but did not have names to be published. He assures that the wounds are light and of a superficial nature and that loved ones who may read these lines fear not. The prisoners were believed to be from the 15th Virginia Infantry and boasted of nearly 200 negro laborers who aided in the construction of their works. When asked about the present military situation in which the Army of the James finds itself, the command of the 39th Illinois feels comforted by the fact that their flanks are covered by gunboats and cavalry and that their works provided sufficient protection from the front. With supplies coming from their rear, they seemingly can hold the line forever.

At the time of this dispatch the situation remains static. General Butler has yet to find a solution to his problem and the Confederates seem obliged to keep him in it. It goes without saying that disaster may well have met General Butler’s army if it were not for the heroic actions of his men, especially the gallant 39th Illinois. The fine citizens of Illinois can rest assured that their “boys” are doing their part in the defense of the Union.

W.H. Stiner correspondent,
            New York Herald
            Bob Bowser

Comment

No comment was intended nor implied to be any form of swipe about an event I wanted to attend. One of the Confederate impressions was the 17th Tennessee of Bushrod Johnson's orphaned Tennessee brigade. Everyone has a regiment or brigade they really like more than others. Bushrod Johnson's Brigade is mine. For various reasons, one cannot attend all the events one wants to attend. I am hoping to read more about the experiences of others in a very overlooked theater of operations.

The interwebs put us all in the same actual moment in time, but not all of us are in the same time zone. A reasonable ending time for an event on a Sunday in Virginia is when I'm making coffee on the West Coast. Same moment in time ; different time zone.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.
              Silas Tackitt,
              one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Courtesy of the Elkton, MD Cracker Barrel, I fell violently ill for the first time in 10 years, and had to stop en route Friday, about 40 minutes from the site. Saturday morning, not feeling much better, but deciding that we'd already come thus far, Jason Wickersty and I decided to, at least, make a showing. I'm very glad we did, but I was still feeling a little unsteady on my feet and couldn't linger much past the afternoon battle. It was a great time, though, and I wish I could have been around to experience more of it. I'd been preparing for months, and it was devastating to not be as active a participant as I'd planned. Saturday afternoon battle was great; I was on the far left of the U.S. line, which wasn't assaulted, and was able to see the C.S. attack closing in on our center and right, which looked and sounded very intense. The interp area was great, brush arbors and all.
                Marc A. Hermann
                Liberty Rifles.
                MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
                Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Bermuda Hundred Refugees

Fortress Monroe-

Modern war produces more casualties than those found on the field of battle. The arrival of two hostile armies causes panic among the locals in the community. Faced with the terror of watching their homes caught in the melee, many gather their belongings and flee for safety. Others are freed Negroes attempting to avoid being captured by the Rebels and sent into servitude. Such is the case with the residents of Bermuda Hundred as General Butler’s Army of the James has engaged the Confederates near their quaint village. Multiple refugees were observed wandering the roadways in an attempt to escape the carnage of battle.

A Sad Tale

One such local presented the most pitiful case. Mr. J. McCarthy owns several acres of land that is now occupied by Beauregard’s forces. Mr. McCarthy, a worn middle aged man deafened in a mining explosion, moves slowly and needs a hearing horn to carry out a simple conversation. At the commencement of battle, Mr. McCarthy hastily gathered a few belongings in a wheeled cart and took to the roads with his old hound. The two fled towards safety, but in the confusion of battle found themselves behind Union lines. What was to be done? Mr. McCarthy, still in the companionship of his hound, was encountered on the road to Richmond pulling his cart in the hopes of passing through the Rebel lines and making it back to the safety of his home. He expressed concerns about his wellbeing upon reaching the Confederate picket line, but seemed confident that he would find a way to make it home that evening. Having recently visited a local doctor, Mr. McCarthy was carrying a few jars of “medicinal liquid” that he felt may secure him safe passage through the guards. Whatever the outcome, Mr. McCarthy’s tragic tale is all too common with so many residents of Bermuda Hundred. It is with great hopes that General Butler can soon find a way to break through Beauregard’s lines and put an end to the suffering of the nation!

W.H. Stiner correspondent,
                  New York Herald
                  Bob Bowser

Comment

I’ve never left an AAR before, but I figure I’ll try my hand at it…

Coming from the SCAR effort of the 17th TN Co. D, this event was one of the better event’s I’ve been able to make in my time in the hobby. I arrived Friday morning after a long drive, and was set straight to work on our earthworks- which is a pretty neat experience, especially as the Chesterfield County fairly well gave us free reign to do whatever we wished with the place. Although the torrential rain came and stayed for most of Friday afternoon into the evening, it dried up just enough to get some semblance of sleep. Friday kicked off and the action on our end of the field was outstanding- falling back to rifle pits, and eventually making a somewhat organized retreat back to our personal Gibraltar, and repulsing the tail end of the Federal advance, and eventually going back to shirtsleeves and setting to work on our breastworks. The assault on the Federal lines on Sunday rivaled Culp’s Hill in my book, rolling over the Federal Breastworks and rolling up their flank following, at the run, the Hardee flag. There was a moment there in the works, two federal troops came at Color Bearer, who was a good three meters in front of the lines foremost advancers- and seemingly out of nowhere, he was protected at his front by a wall of Tennesseans, and that was just plain Awesome.

The Firper out there was simply outstanding (HUGE hats off to Mia for her awesome “performance” With us), and added to the realism of the event. Now that I’ve gotten home and pulled better than a half dozen ticks off of me, showered and gotten into some comfortable clothes, and Iced my aching Knee, there isn’t anything negative I can bring to the forefront off of the top of my head.

Thanks to Tyler Underwood for having me in his outstanding company, to Johnny Lloyd for the trash effort, and to the rest of the SCAR for making this happen, and making this be such a good time.
                    Tyler Gibson
                    The Independent Rifles

Comment

Short and sweet boys, Bermuda hundred was one of the best events I have done in a number of years. I think this type of event may be the future of the hobby.

Big thanks to my messmate John Pagano for all of his hard work. The PG boys had a fine time.

Yip yip!
                      Bryant Roberts
                      Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
                      palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

I had a great time. There were so many great things going on at once, and it's fun to read how other people's experiences were completely different from mine, yet still so amazing. I do wish we would've played a little more on Saturday. Would've been great to advance some skirmishers in force to probe the rebel line for weaknesses. Our pickets came back and reported the Rebs in battalion formation without accoutrements or weapons. This was after the cease-fire ended! We were begging to go after 'em but got shot down. Ah, such things make no sense to the private!

I believe this weekend was the first and only time reenacting that my heart rate actually went up during the fighting. Everyone put in their best effort and the impressions were great. During the Saturday afternoon reb assault on our lines, we were on the right flank and saw Confederates moving in front of us with apparently little knowledge we were even there. A well-timed volley and we saw many go down. Bravo to the boys in grey for that gallant charge!

Thinking about this event from a spectator's perspective, this must've been so great to witness. First, they encounter relief societies and commissions far back from the fighting, and signs posted along the rural country road mark the miles to various key points. Following the trail, you then encounter a field hospital (where I saw some excellent firper interactions). The closer you get, the gun fire increases until you encounter the federal lines, and then appearing ominous in the foreground, those damned rebs and their amazing earthworks.

Thanks to everyone involved in this. Definitely a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Let's hope this sets a bar for immersion events in the future!

Erik P. Jacobs
                        Erik P. Jacobs
                        [I]Pvt. "Trey"[/I]
                        The Buzzards Mess
                        Co. F, Chesapeake Volunteer Guard
                        [I]"Rowdy Boys"[/I]
                        Co. B, 140th NYVI

Comment

Originally posted by PvtTrey View Post
                          I had a great time. There were so many great things going on at once, and it's fun to read how other people's experiences were completely different from mine, yet still so amazing. I do wish we would've played a little more on Saturday. Would've been great to advance some skirmishers in force to probe the rebel line for weaknesses. Our pickets came back and reported the Rebs in battalion formation without accoutrements or weapons. This was after the cease-fire ended! We were begging to go after 'em but got shot down. Ah, such things make no sense to the private!
                          I agree completely. I wish there was a tad bit more going on, while I sat on my outpost the rebs didn't even have pickets out. I wish there was a little more interaction between the two opposing forces through the lulls in battles, maybe even while we were improving our works. It just seemed to fizzle and I think we were expecting a bit more interaction.

The fights were all outstanding. The first battle we went into the woods was what I imagine the Wilderness was actually like. It was chaos, communication, lines, everything broke apart but the NCOs and officers kept it together somehow. That entire time in the woods I didn't see a single Confederate Soldier, but I heard the yell and darn if it wasn't terrifying to hear that and then hear a volley. That literally made the weekend for me. The other fights were just as great as well as the time an effort us in Company A put into those works, thanks to our 1st Sgt. we had some pretty impressive works with fraise, moats, you name it. One of the Confederate lieutenants was leaving after the battle and said that we (company A) had scared the he** out of them. I don't think they expected us there and that well dug in.

Sunday was equally good and after surrendering everyone did a great job of keeping it in first person, that always adds to the experience.

This is for the ladies and gents in the Christian Commission, thanks for all you did and the food, drink etc. Also to the lady who gave me the housewife and told me this about her husband there "Don't believe anything he says...unless it's about Jesus"...that gave us a good laugh, thanks for that.

Good times, thanks to all involved in the planning.
                          Brandon English

"There is many a boy here today who looks on war as all glory, but, boys, it is all hell."--William T. Sherman

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonEnglish View Post

This is for the ladies and gents in the Christian Commission, thanks for all you did and the food, drink etc. Also to the lady who gave me the housewife and told me this about her husband there "Don't believe anything he says...unless it's about Jesus"...that gave us a good laugh, thanks for that.

Good times, thanks to all involved in the planning.
                            As the lady who told you that I am shocked that you actually included it in your AAR, it was one of our favorite moments from the event as well!!

Overall it was a great event, the arbors added a great ambiance to the distribution scenes. The road leading back to the fighting was impressive, as we were able to venture to the Federal line until the battle started again. The Confederate works looked incredible for our side of things!
                            Amanda Brantley

Carolina Citizens
                            http://19thcenturycookery.blogspot.com/

Comment

My Mess No.1 pards and I had an excellent time. It reminded me of Marmaduke's last year in a way. I hope more events happen like this in the future. Thanks John P. and his group for all their hard efforts. I'm also glad we got to see the Confederate camp and their works. Extremely impressive! Brian Hicks...thanks for the personal tour.

This link below popped up this morning on FB. Take a look at it as it gives a pretty good view of what we did.

BERMUDA HUNDRED CAMPAIGN, CLOVER HILL, CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, CIVIL WAR, REINACTMENT, 150TH ANNIVERSARY
                              Ken Cornett
                              MESS NO.1
                              Founding Member
                              OHIO
                              Mason Lodge #678, PM
                              Need Rules?

Comment

Working...
                              X