Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150th Franklin Living History 28-30 Nov. 2014

The Confederacy’s Last Hurrah.

The 150th Anniversary Living History program for the Battle of Franklin at the Carter House and the Carnton Plantation, 28-30 November, 2014.

This event is sponsored by the Widow’s Sons Mess. (Art Milbert, Brian Hicks, Patrick Craddock, Justin Runyon and Matt Woodburn. These are the same men who put together the WIG’s 150th Shiloh Event.)

This event will be on the actual Ground of the fighting at the Carter House, and the Conf. Hospital at the Carnton Planation following the fight.

The Units portrayed will be those Regiments that actual opposed one another on the Bloody Ground of the Carter’s backyard, and family garden area. The federal Impression will the 44th Missouri Volunteer Infantry. Will Eichler will be commanding the Federal Infantry. Opposing the Federals will be the 20th Tenn. (A second Bn. of Bates Division, Smiths Brigade, will be formed if there is enough Confederate registrations to merit a second Conf. unit for this event) Patrick Craddock will the overall Confederate Commander, with Matt Woodburn and Brian Hicks as his senior field officers.

This event will require all participants to arrive at the Carnton Planation on Friday, 28 November, prior to midnight.

The Federals will be shuttled to Winstead Hill from which they will march down the Columbia Pike to the Carter House, following the same route as the Federals marched during their movement from Springhill to Franklin, 150 years ago. Once they reach the Carter House, they will provide Living History demonstrations for the visiting Public until approximately 4:30-5pm, at which time the Confederates will arrive, and engage them in battle on the actual ground, in real time according to the historical timeline of the actual battle.

The Confederates will remain at the Carnton Plantation, providing Living History demonstrations until midafternoon on Saturday, at which time they be shuttled to Winstead Hill, from which, at 4:30pm, they will march down the Columbia Pike towards Franklin. The Confederates will turn off Columbia Pike and form a battle line at the southern edge of the Carter Family garden area, from whence they will move forward to assault the Federals in their line in the backyard of the Carter House.

This assault will be opposed, and will involve the firing of blanks, and will be representing the desperate fight that took place on this actual ground, 150 years ago.

After the Battle, the Federals will march to Ft. Granger where they will bivouac for the night, while the Confederates will march back to the Carnton Plantation where they will reenact the wounded and dead in the Carnton Plantation which was used as a field hospital after the battle. This representation of the Field Hospital will be part of a candle lit tour which will be open to the public.

We are also coordinating to have a Battery of Federal Artillery at Fort Granger during these activities. These artillery pieces will provide fire as the Confederates advance down Columbia pike, and during their assault at the Carter House. Prior to Fighting on Saturday, these men will be providing LH demonstrations to the public who might visit Ft. Granger during the day.

Any Federals who wish to assist at the Hospital scenario at the Carnton Plantation are welcomed to do so.

For those who can remain on site Sunday, Living History demonstrations will be provided at Ft. Granger, Carnton Plantation and the Carter House.

Rations will be issued to provide for three meals on Saturday, and one meal on Sunday.

Registration will be handled via the same registration process that we used to register for the 150th Shiloh event. The registration fee will be $25.00. The link to the registration website will be posted very soon.

Points of Contact for specifics about this event, are Brian Hicks and Patrick Craddock.
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Re: 150th Franklin Living History 28-30 Nov. 2014

I already plan to be with the 44th Missouri for this one. Stand on the ACTUAL ground they fought on 150 years ago? Then march "towards Nashville" staying inside the ORIGINAL Fort Granger? I can't say bully loud enough!
    Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
    Civil War Digital Digest
    Sally Port Mess

Comment

Most Excellent!
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Well, you guys scheduled this event the same weekend as the Ohio State - Michigan Game. I haven't missed a home game against Michigan for fourteen years. I am leaning toward Franklin!
        ERIC TIPTON
        Former AC Owner

Comment

Thanksgiving weekend, right? Hmmm, how to sell this one to the family.

What an opportunity!
          Ivan Ingraham
          AC Moderator

Comment

Brian,

We are a artillery unit out of New Orleans and would like to participate if possible. I know the website says by invitation only. How would we get an invite? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks.
            Timothy J. Koehn
            Boone's Louisiana Battery
            Supporting Confederate Memorial Hall, New Orleans, LA
            http://www.confederatemuseum.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Tipton View Post
              Well, you guys scheduled this event the same weekend as the Ohio State - Michigan Game. I haven't missed a home game against Michigan for fourteen years. I am leaning toward Franklin!
              Let's be honest here. Hood had a better shot at breaking the Federal lines than Brady Hoke beating OSU. Come to Franklin.
              Jason David

Peter Pelican
              36th Illinois Co. "B"
              Prodigal Sons Mess
              Old Northwest Vols.

Comment

I think Tennessee shall have my support once again!
                Tyler Underwood
                Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

This is absolutely exciting! I love Granger...oh the memories. Crabby cooked the most incredible dinner for us there one time. I couldn't think of a better way to spend my 50th birthday weekend. Hat's off to the Widow's!
                  Ken Cornett
                  MESS NO.1
                  Founding Member
                  OHIO
                  Mason Lodge #678, PM
                  Need Rules?

Comment

Eric,

Hope you and your gang can make it. There will be great displays never before seen at the Carter House and Carnton Plantation. And we have permission to use ground for fighting that hasn't been done in my life. It probably won't happen again as there is too much work to get permission from the state. Bring all the Buckeyes! Hope to see you there.

Matt

Originally posted by Eric Tipton View Post
                    Matt Woodburn
                    Retired Big Bug
                    WIG/GHTI
                    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
                    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Whoa boy....how am I gonna get a kitchen pass for this? Thanks for setting this up fellas, I'm looking forward to it!
                      Your humble servant....
                      Sean Collicott
                      [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
                      [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Cornett View Post
                        This is absolutely exciting! I love Granger...oh the memories. Crabby cooked the most incredible dinner for us there one time. I couldn't think of a better way to spend my 50th birthday weekend. Hat's off to the Widow's!
                        Your birthday weekend and mine!
                        I'm with Ivan… How to sell this to the fam… ?
                        John Wickett
                        Former Carpetbagger
                        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Yes.... that Thursday is Thanksgiving. And yes... we are extremely frustrated they this is just now being announced. There are a very select few, whom knew we where trying to get this on the calendars six months ago, but the State Bureaucracy drug it's feet, and has only now (finally) approved our plans for this event. We are striving to make this event an exceptional experiance, and hope that we can attract good numbers to help represent the intense fighting at the Carter house 150 years ago.
                          Brian Hicks
                          Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

It's my birthday weekend as well, and that's how I'm gonna sell it. What do you want for your birthday...well there is this one thing. Hey Wick lets spend our birthday together.
                            David Parent

The Cracker Mess
                            MLK Mess
                            Black Hat Boys
                            WIG

Veterans would tell of Sherman's ordering a flanking movement and instructing a subordinate how to report his progress: "See here Cox, burn a few barns occasionally, as you go along. I can't understand those signal flags, but I know what smoke means"

Comment

Looking to be a large time for the 20th Tennessee.
                              Thomas Rock
                              Mudsills
                              Hodge Podge Mess
                              Western Independent Grays

Comment

Working...
                              X