150th Battle of Pickett's Mill May 30th - June 1st, 2014

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 150th Battle of Pickett's Mill May 30th - June 1st, 2014

Folks, I sent another message to the commanders for each side via email. I'm sure you'll be receiving the "get registered!" from your esteemed commanders soon enough. I know there are many events popping up for 2014, but none will be like this one. Especially when it comes to the Atlanta Campaign. Soldiering, bugs, heat, and humidity await us all!
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

Don't forget scorpions, Herb... :)
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
      SCAR
      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Since we're talking venomous critters at the Mill. Let's us not forget the occasional copperhead, like the one that fella' met at the New Hope Church event. Keep yer' hands out from under them logs fellers'. That being said , I cannot wait for this event!
        Eric N. Harley-Brown
        Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

I hope to be there, we put this on our unit event list.
          Frank Siltman
          24th Mo Vol Inf
          Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
          Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
          Company of Military Historians
          Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Frank, Cal contacted me and said a good crew of you are coming "east" for this one. We are glad to have you.
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

Event Update!

Clint Morris and I had a very productive meeting with the rangers yesterday. We are working hand in hand with the regional DNR stafffers to present an outstanding program that we both hope will raise awareness/visitation of the park. There will be visitors in the park on Saturday from 10 am to 7 pm, but reenactors will NOT be interacting with them. Our focus will be to recreate the movement, skirmishes, and portions of the actual battle as close to the original time frame as possible.

A couple of quick notes: CARPOOL, CARPOOL, CARPOOL!!! We have the parking areas scoped out, but my event team, and the park rangers will appreciate it if you carpool to the event. This helps maximize the parking area closest to the event site. The rangers did offer Red Top State Park's parking area, a 30 mile drive away (no one leaves early), as the alternative. We'll use it if need be. But, this should not even happen if everyone carpools. More guys in a car, the less gas costs!!!!!

Registration will be at the Park's Group Shelter. This is located at 6785 Hiram Acworth Hwy Dallas, GA 30157. Using map search function, this will get you with a few yards of the entrance. There will be signs pointing participants to the location. Luckily, this time for my team, we don't have to worry about a major river flooding entrance routes....

Cavalry, your parking and registration area will be the main park entrance off of Mt. Tabor Church Rd. I am in contact with Mark Choate, and he will forward the detailed instructions to you.

I walked most of the Federal route and portions of the Confederate route. You need to be in good shape to participate in this event. My gauge for all of you is can you go for 3 to 5 miles with a musket, pack or blanket roll, over varied terrain? If not you need to be in shape to do this. I can tell you 100% up front that we have a busy schedule on Saturday. There will be rest period, since the Federal army historically had to rest after maneuvering around rough terrain from New Hope over to the Pickett property area.

I am in no way trying to scare anyone here, but I'm being honest. So be honest with yourself.

Finally, Double up on your history! The Friends of Paulding County Civil War Association is having a dedication at New Hope Church Sunday after the event wraps up. (Our event ends no later than 10 am) The New Hope Church site is less than 3 miles from Pickett's Mill, and if you are interested in checking it out, I can get more information.

Thanks all!
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

Friends,

Registrations are coming in at a steady rate. I'm actually impressed knowing the 'last minute-ness' of the hobby in general.... However......... Company Commanders, remind your men that getting their registrations in sooner rather than later helps secure period correct rations for them. Registration cut off is Memorial Day, May 26. Even if you are in my home unit, I'm NOT taking late registrations.

Also, Ivan Ingraham is sending my completed Fourth Corps badge this week. As soon as I get it, the reenacting world will see its awesomeness. Mr. Ingraham is setting funds aside form his corps badge effort for preservation. Also, be on the lookout for an announcement for a Preservation Raffle. All proceeds from this go to the park as well.
                Last edited by Coatsy; 01-27-2014, 04:19 PM.
                Herb Coats
                Armory Guards &
                WIG

Comment

I received some of the Corps badges from Ivan and thy look great. Jump on it to add to your impression, have a item to remember the event by and preservation.

image.jpg
                  Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
                  Civil War Digital Digest
                  Sally Port Mess

Comment

Signed registration form and funds in the mail today, signing on with Cal Kinzer's Federal company.
                    Mike Phineas
                    Arlington, TX
                    24th Missouri Infantry
                    Independent Volunteer Battalion
                    www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

• Re: 150th Battle of Pickett's Mill May 30th - June 1st, 2014

Thanks Mike! I'll be looking for it.

I'll second Ivan's Fourth Corps badges. They are perfect, and it is a great addition to one's impression. I'll be getting some use out of it this spring and summer, and fall as well!
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

I've added a few more photos of the battlefield to the event website. They are from previous Armory Guards marches and LH at the park in 2010 and 2012. Enjoy. http://armoryguardsevents.webs.com/a...toid=153214250
                        Herb Coats
                        Armory Guards &
                        WIG

Comment

There will be a walkthrough for the event today. I'll post some high lights and more photos later this evening. Also, look for a Who's Who List, aka the Registered List in the near future.

We are under 3 months out from the event. I know there are many other 150th anniversary events this year, but none will be like this one. Trust me on that.

Herb
                          Herb Coats
                          Armory Guards &
                          WIG

Comment

E-mailed my registration this morning.
                            ERIC TIPTON
                            Former AC Owner

Comment

With Mr. Tipton registering, the neighborhood is officially "gone". Glad to have you aboard Eric!
                              Herb Coats
                              Armory Guards &
                              WIG

Comment

Ok, we had a great meeting with the park staff, and a very thorough (well for me) walkthrough. The scenarios are locked in, and trust me, you'll get your money's worth and more at the event. We covered the CS routes, the camping areas, the water drops, AND the Federal routes. Yeah, a few of us hit all of these up. I am wiped out right now! I need to step my walking and jogging up a bit!

Yes, participants, be ready to cover some distance on Saturday. As Brian Hicks said "It won't be too bad, it isn't like they are walking seven miles out of LBL!" :) But, be prepared for warm temperatures (what are those again?), carrying your gear, and going up and over a few ridges.

Next up, we are asking all participants CARPOOL to the event. The event is shaping up with a LOT of interest generated within the local area and the Atlanta area, so the park staff are estimating a good number of visitors. So, try to get one riding buddy at least! This will help out more than you know!

Ok, I leave everyone with this photo. Hazen's Hill from the old Levertt Mill Road. Hey Federals. We'll be seeing this with some surprises along the way.
                                Herb Coats
                                Armory Guards &
                                WIG

Comment

Working...
                                X