• 150th Battle of Pickett's Mill May 30th - June 1st, 2014

And away we go......

What: 150th Battle of Pickett’s Mill

When: May 30th through June 1st, 2014

Where: Pickett’s Mill State Park, near Dallas, Georgia

Who: Host Group - Armory Guards

POC: Herb Coats - hcoats007 @ gmail . com

Preservation Effort: Proceeds goes to the park

The Plan: This event is the recreation of the Battle of Pickett’s Mill following the battle as close to “real time” as possible. For the 150th Anniversary of the battle, the park staff has asked the Armory Guards to host and coordinate the battle reenactment. The impressions are the 8th - 19th Arkansas Infantry, Consolidated, and the 5th then 9th Kentucky (US) Infantry. Confederate cavalry slots are available in limited numbers and by invitation only from the event hosts. The Armory Guards will have members as the event planners, and as “staff” on each side to ensure that the scenarios are followed as closely to the original steps as possible. This event is not a tactical, but think of it as an immersive battle reenactment. If you’ve attended Prelude to Chickamauga, any recent Pickett’s Mill events, Mustering In, 1861, Guarding Savannah, or Bummers, you know what to expect from the AG. Accurate and authentic impressions guidelines will be enforced. This will not be an “easy” shoot-bang, or 'enactor festival. It will be late May in Georgia so it can rain, it will be hot and humid, there are hills galore (be in shape, no doubt), and the bugs hate everyone equally at the park. Who wouldn’t want to “soldier” on here? This event is by us and for us.

Military Command: This will be solidified in the near future; there will be AG members on each side as battalion staff members/battalion commanders to make sure the correct scenarios are followed. Again, the scenarios come from what actually happened.

If you consider yourself a campaigner, and a student of the Atlanta Campaign, then this is the spring 2014 event to attend. Invitations to authentically minded groups will sent out soon, and men who can raise a company to the event specifications may contact the AG. We are looking to have each battalion field 10 companys.

Look here for more information regarding command structure, kit guidelines, and of course historical information. You have two years to prepare!
    Last edited by Coatsy; 04-23-2013, 12:03 PM. Reason: email change
    Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Re: 150th Battle of Pickett's Mill May 30th - June 1st, 2014

Can't wait!!
    Andrew Schultz

Possum Skinners Mess

Buzzards Mess

Comment

Count me in!!
      [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]John R. Legg[/SIZE][/FONT]

[email]Johnlegg90@gmail.com[/email]

"Alright, Legg, what did you screw up now?" - C. Henderson
      Ft.Blakeley LH - May 25-27
      Maryland, My Maryland. - September 7-9
      6th Wisconsin Antietam LH - September 15-17
      150th Perryville - October 5-7
      Valley Forge - January 18-20, 2013

Comment

Pickett's Mill has always been the best site and you guys are top shelf at whatever you do so thanks for doing it again. The two PM's I attended are in the top five of my all time favorites.

Steve Acker

Comment

Everyone, please take to heart Herb's message about being in shape for this one. If you have not been to Pickett's Mill before it consists of very steep terrain.
          Robert Collett
          8th FL / 13th IN
          Armory Guards
          WIG

Comment

The terrain, the heat and humidity out there can really zap you. Plenty of time to get ready though, and I look forward to it.
            Michael A. Kupsch, 32°
            Grand Junior Warden, Grand Lodge of Kansas AF & AM
            Past Master Wyandotte Lodge #03

[email]tatermess_mike@yahoo.com[/email]
            The Tater Mess
            The Widow's Son Mess
            WIG's
            [url]http://members.tripod.com/the_tater_mess/[/url]

Comment

I'm in!!!!!
              Matt Bohnert
              T.I.G.Mess
              Matt Bohnert
              T.I.G. Mess

Comment

Looking forward to this one!!!
                Jeff "Thad" Gallagher

Pit Rat Mess
                49th Ohio
                Huber Heights #777 F&AM

"The moralities of this company are not as good as they used to be, there is much swearing and abuse." Francis Kiene 49th OVI

Comment

Gents,

Thank you for the kind words. The guys posting here are 100% correct about the terrain.

A good guide to go by for being able to participate fully in the event is: "Are you able to walk 5 miles in your full kit with sharp elevation changes in warm/hot weather?" We are two years out from this, so there is plenty of time to get prepared.
                  Herb Coats
                  Armory Guards &
                  WIG

Comment

Herb,
                    As someone whose roots go back at that site before there was even a visitor center on site, you know I'm going to be all over this.
                    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
                    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
                    Former Mudsill
                    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Originally posted by Coatsy View Post

A good guide to go by for being able to participate fully in the event is: "Are you able to walk 5 miles in your full kit with sharp elevation changes in warm/hot weather?" We are two years out from this, so there is plenty of time to get prepared.
                      No doubt! This will be a great event on pristine ground, by top notch planners.But with that said heed their words on the terrain, this will NOT be one you can't just show up for unprepared. Get your stairmaster dusted off and ready!
                      Eric N. Harley-Brown
                      Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

My chigger bites from last weekend cant wait. From the one of us who did the roll of mountain goat it was a hoot. We did not use trail or roads just cross country.
                        Doc
                        Jim "Doc" Bruce
                        War means fightn and fightn means killn.
                        L 'audace, l 'audace, Toujours l 'audace.
                        Every man must know his limitations.

Comment

Gents,

I just wanted to post a quick news blurb for THE campaigner event for the 150th Atlanta Campaign in 2014. We are working on setting up a little "something" for those of you who like to arrive earlier than most at events. Look here for more information soon. Also, we'll have more news about kit guidelines (they won't change much from the already well researched park guidelines), commanders, and group invites. Thanks all, and have a great Christmas!
                          Herb Coats
                          Armory Guards &
                          WIG

Comment

Originally posted by Coatsy View Post
                            Gents,

I just wanted to post a quick news blurb for THE campaigner event for the 150th Atlanta Campaign in 2014. We are working on setting up a little "something" for those of you who like to arrive earlier than most at events.
                            Grapeade and pie?

Looking forward to this one!
                            Galen Wagner
                            Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

The Skunk Ape will find you at the Mill.

Let me know if you need some place to crash if you are from out-of-town and attending this event. I can offer some room (to the first that call it) at my house since we live about 40mins away from the site. Hope it helps get more people to the event.

Johnny Lloyd
                              John "Johnny" Lloyd
                              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                              SCAR
                              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                              X