Reading for Pickett's Mill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reading for Pickett's Mill

In preparation for the upcoming Pickett's Mill event, I've ordered and devoured two of the primary books on the Armory Guard's site. I've been supplementing my reading by scouring regimental histories and accounts found online. Generally, I find a chapter or several pages of a chapter which refer to Pickett's Mill. If you're only going to read one book about the battle, this is the one you want : Brad Butkovich's "THE BATTLE OF PICKETT'S MILL: Along the Dead Line."

Here's a review of the book : http://cwba.blogspot.com/2013/06/but...ill-along.html

The common thread in my online reading has been that I find a history or account, and then read some individual story. I get excited because I've found something new, but then get disappointed because it's something I've already read in his book. This keeps happening again and again. The author really mined the resources to put this book together. His maps will really come in handy once you get there. Buy the book. You'll be glad you did.

While I'm at it, please note that we are still seeking members to join the Federals of Company G. The company is being filled by folks from the upper left hand corner of the US, the upper East Coast, and locals from Chattanooga. If you're interested in participating with the company with the greatest diversity of American dialects, send me a PM.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Re: Reading for Pickett's Mill

I will second Silas' recommendation of this work as I picked it up a few months ago and it is an excellent and informative read.

Also, with the event following the real time-line of events, all participants would do well to have a strong understanding of same and this work is a good source for nailing down the sequence of action. And, at less than 200 pages, not a difficult work to absorb between now and end of May.

Thanks for pointing this out, Silas.

regards,
    Mark
    J. Mark Choate
    7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

Awesome stuff, Silas. I have been studying this obscure battle for a while and, like you, enjoy the hunt for new information. Will add to the collection.
      Ivan Ingraham
      AC Moderator

Comment

Hazen's "Narrative of Service" contains the topo map for the position of his I'll fated brigade. Here's the link : http://books.google.com/books?id=urg...en&output=html This derives from Bierce's map of the field drawn three days after the battle.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

I think that is actually Bierce's map, Silas; it is the same one he is credited with in Phantoms of a Bloodstained Period, among other sources. Unless the rough he made was refined into this one (and if so, I have not see that one, which would be interesting)?

Baumgartner's Echoes of Battle:The Atlanta Campaign has some great narratives from both Federal and Confederate participants.
          Ivan Ingraham
          AC Moderator

Comment

Bierce's map isn't too far off from the present day USGS maps. I'm fairly familiar with the area, Just remember to turn the map where north points north.

Thanks for posting Hazen's account. It is very close to the other accounts that I've read. I'm currently re reading Marcus Woodcock's account (9th Kentucky Inf. US) and it details the difficulty maneuvering around the area. There is a reason why the two divisions took 4 hours to get into place.

The ravines are in good shape btw.
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

More Federal accounts. This is from Lt. Alexis Cope of the 15th Ohio Infantry, from Echoes of Battle edited by Strayer and Baumgartner.

"Our division was selected to make this attack. We received out orders about noon and at once began our movement towards the enemy's right. The country over which we moved was quite rough, thickly wooded and covered with thick growth and underbrush which made our progress quite difficult and laborious."

The terrain hasn't changed. The 15th's commander, Colonel William Wallace actually tripped over one of the rocks and sprained his back. No repeats of that are needed.

Also from Cope's account "On the morning of the 23rd we received orders to march at noon.... We were provided with three days rations which were to last five.." The battle is was of course on May 27th.... :)
              Herb Coats
              Armory Guards &
              WIG

Comment

I picked up Brad Butkovich's "THE BATTLE OF PICKETT'S MILL: Along the Dead Line" yesterday. I've been very pleased with the book so far. I did my usual skip around and read portions of the end, looked at the end notes, and went back to the beginning. The book actually does a good job with command movements form the Etowah Valley to the New Hope-Dallas area. Plus, good maps.

To those who are going, I'd recommend getting the book for a good overall narrative backed up by first hand accounts.
                Herb Coats
                Armory Guards &
                WIG

Comment

Agreed. Picked up a copy and have been enjoying it. Recommended to all.
                  Ivan Ingraham
                  AC Moderator

Comment

Thanks for the link Silas I will definitely pick it up.
                    Kyle O'Brien
                    Northern California : ACWA

20th Maine Co.G
                    4th Virginia Co. A
                    3rd US Artillery Co. B (1861)

Comment

About 6 years ago, I published 'History of the 53rd Regiment Alabama Volunteer Cavalry and M. W. Hannon's Brigade, Army of Tennessee," a detailed study (570+ pages) of the 53rd Alabama Cavalry. It contains a good account of the 53rd's actions at Pickett's Mill. A copy can be obtained from me for $35 plus $5 S & H. Bob McLendon, 1305A South Brundidge St., PMB 105, Troy, AL 36081.

Bob McLendon
                      Bob McClendon

Comment

I had a good 'enacting buddy hit me up about getting "Mudded Up" at the event. Many of us know of the torrential downpour that the soldiers got stuck in on the way to Atlanta. At the Battle of New Hope Church, just before Pickett's Mill, the sky dumped a slew of rain during the battle in the late afternoon. But, honestly looking at accounts from Resaca to New Hope, there really isn't too much mention of down pours lasting for days on end. This comes into pay POST Pickett's Mill and into June.

Jeff Fowler of the 3rd Confederate Infantry mentions that most of the days leading up to the battle were pleasant with an afternoon shower or thunderstorm rolling through. Also, Andrew Gleason of the 15th Ohio mentions how pleasant it was going across the Etowah River valley while heading into Paulding County. (Both accounts are from Brad Butkovich;s "Along the Deadline, The Battle of Pickett's Mill")

So, should one come to the event covered in mud, Not really. The men had time to actually clean their clothing before this phase of the battle. Sherman actually halts his army group to rest and resupply before moving towards Dallas, Ga. Are the men's clothing getting worn, maybe grimy in a way? Certainly. They'd moved from North Georgia to Paulding, roads got muddy, they dug rifle pits, got muddy, but Mud Ball Man? I doubt it. There are plenty of accounts detailing the men getting cleaned, etc.

Could some poor guy have fallen into a mud pit? Maybe, but I haven't seen anything along these lines in print before the battle.

Granted, in the grand scheme of things at the event, this is small fries, but it is something to think on while tweaking you kit. Just remember to bring a good attitude along with that sweet kit.

Update: Marcus Woodcock does relay that the 9th Kentucky (US) did encounter muddy roads the day of New Hope Church, and that their progress to the front to support Hooker's 20th Corps was stymied by slipping and sliding. So, pristine/clean soldiers aren't the norm, they bog down in some Georgia fun leading up to the event. But, still no "Mudball" account. Cool stuff though.
                        Last edited by Coatsy; 03-30-2014, 07:58 PM.
                        Herb Coats
                        Armory Guards &
                        WIG

Comment

Some historical insight: Lt. Marcus Woodcock's regiment had "orders to pack all unnecessary baggage and send it back to Chattanooga by rail." (The Battle of Pickett's Mill, Along the Dead-Line, Page 23). This is around the May 22-23 time frame. So, packing light is a grand idea, and historically accurate!
                          Herb Coats
                          Armory Guards &
                          WIG

Comment

Working...
                          X