Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Directions to the Event Site, Other Must Read Items!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Directions to the Event Site, Other Must Read Items!

Pickett's Mill participants, please read and know.

Rations: Period correct and researched rations will be provided for the participants. It isn’t top class dining, but it is of the period.

Ammunition: Bring 80 rounds. The extra rounds not in the cartridge boxes need to be wrapped, and the owners name must be put on the package. I am required by the state park staff to check these in. The bundles will be put into a company box.You will 100% get your boxes and ammo back.

Registration: Sign in begins at Noon on Friday May 30th at the Park’s Group Shelter. Note this is not the Visitor Center located off Mt. Tabor Church Rd. The Group Shelter is located off of Hwy 92 Hiram Ackworth Rd. The address to use is 6668 Hwy 92, Dallas, Ga. 30157. Registration closes at 10 pm. If you know of anyone that will be late I need to know BEFORE the event. I can have late check in set up.

Parking: Everyone needs to carpool. Make it work guys. The parking area at the Group Shelter will fill up quick. The logging trail adjacent to the Group Shelter will be the other parking area. Cars need to be parked on one side of the trail. Armory Guards members will be present to assist in traffic direction. Cavalry, you registration and parking are at a different spot in the park. Mike Ventura should have sent you information on this already.

After getting in kit, getting the weapon inspected, dropping extra ammunition in the company box, the men will be shuttled to the camp area. Everyone must come to the Group Shelter to register.

Start Time: I’d like to have the bulk of the men in camps by 8:30 pm. There, the commanders are to set guard, get the men to cook their rations (Saturday will be busy), set up camp, etc. The camp sites are not too far off the main road in to the park.

Safety Issues: Gents, the park staff has a LOT of higher ups coming to visit the park on Saturday. Be responsible and safe. Review the event rules on the event website: http://armoryguardsevents.webs.com/eventrules.htm

There are ticks, mosquitos, scorpions, snakes, and other exciting creatures in the park. Be prepared. Also, big tip, kick the deadfall before reaching down to pick it up. We don’t need another snake-bite issue.

It will most likely be warm and humid. We need to look after each other, and drink plenty of water. We will have water stationed near each area that the respective battalion will be at.

Keep cook fires small, and make sure they are out too before moving on. We can use all the dead fall we want, but not chopping down trees, and no digging. Digging in a state park is a crime guys. We can build breastworks from the deadfall as well. Yes, you'll be setting up breastworks.

Other Issues: Keep modern talk out of the event. I know we can’t make it perfect, but there is no reason to have modern discussions. Please each other guys. and keep an 1864 mindset here. We all know the history of the battle, so I do not expect any second guessing of the commanders. Joe Blunt and Brian Hicks are following the planned scenarios set forth by the park. (and history)

We are not allowed to use ramrods during the public battle scenarios. Please be mindful of this.

If there is a medical issue during a battle scenario taps is to be played by bugle.

End Time: We are done no later than 11am on Sunday.

My event staff is as follows:
    CS: Jordan Roberts, Robby Mitchell, Robert Collett
    Artillery: Clint Morris
    Cavalry: Mike Ventura
    US: Herb Coats, Ricky Jones, Aron Price, Adam Clark

I’ll be posting the emergency contact number soon. The park's phone number is 770-443-7850 . It is open Thursday, Friday, Saturday only from 9 am to 5 pm.

Below is a photo of the Group Shelter Image off of Hwy 92 Hiram-Ackworth Road. Also, here is a map of the park

Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Re: Directions to the Event Site, Other Must Read Items!

Gents, The park's ranger, James Wooten did let me know that if your map search for 6668 Hwy 92, Dallas, Ga. 30157 does not work, use this address:

6785 Hiram-Acworth Hwy Dallas, GA 30157.

That will put you just north of the group shelter. I've included and aerial image of the park, roads, and the 6668 Hwy 92 address. Below is an aerial image of the area surrounding the park, and the location of the Group Shelter.

Herb Coats
    Armory Guards &
    WIG

Comment

Note: I'm a genius... I realize that the mail isn't going anywhere on Monday since it is Memorial Day, therefore Federal participants, If you are super last minute manning it, Get these in by next Wednesday. Yes.... Wednesday.
      Herb Coats
      Armory Guards &
      WIG

Comment

Where do we report on Thursday night? The Pacific Nor'westers should all be onsite before dark the night before the event commences.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Mark, email sent.

Note, arrivals are to actually show up Friday. Besides my event prep crew, I know that Mark's guys are a special case. I am not in a position nor is my event prep crew in a position to go to the front gate of the park at random times through out the night letting people in. We will be busy with event prep and we'll need to sleep a little before Friday.
          Last edited by Coatsy; 05-24-2014, 07:47 AM.
          Herb Coats
          Armory Guards &
          WIG

Comment

Not being familiar with the routs, could someone give those of us coming from the west (I-20) the best way to get to P. Mill? Looks like a maze of routs on the maps!

Kevin Dally
            Kevin Dally

Comment

There are ticks, mosquitos, scorpions, snakes, and other exciting creatures in the park. Be prepared. Also, big tip, kick the deadfall before reaching down to pick it up. We don’t need another snake-bite issue.

To highlight this; in 2008 just before "taps" rang out when the fellow was bitten by the copperhead, us Federals were building works down along Pumpkinvine Creek. Once we heard taps and rested on and along the works we had just constructed, the largest copperhead I have ever seen slithered out of one of the small trees we used to build out works only a matter of feet from me. Needless to say, if any log does not seem solid through and through leave it were it is.
              Dane Utter
              Washington Guard

Comment

Any word on the Emergency Contact number?

M. Payne
                Breckinridge greys

Please Note:

Michael, please remember that the forum rules require all users to sign their full name (first and last) to all posts. Thank you for your cooperation! -Tyler Underwood

Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 05-29-2014, 03:48 PM.
                M. Payne
                Louisville, Ky
                5th (9th) KY, Breckinridge Greys
                1st Manassas - July 2011
                March From Corinth to Shiloh - March 2012
                BGA Shiloh - March / April 2012
                Perryville 150 - Oct 2012

Comment

The park number I suppose is good for operating hours, but I am really interested in any sort of emergency number.
                  Mike Phineas
                  Arlington, TX
                  24th Missouri Infantry
                  Independent Volunteer Battalion
                  www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Emergency contact number needed or we need to be allowed to have cells.

Joe Musgrove
                    Joseph Musgrove

Comment

The Emergency Number was posted at check in. Did you pay attention to that sign when you checked in? Sometimes, you can't get everything instantaneously guys, If you want to bring a cell phone to a campaigner event, you need to think twice about that. (unless you are event staff)

Remember the days when there were no cell phones. People still reenacted then.
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

We also used to put 500 guys in the field without a forum and/or social media. Mail, baby, mail! I digress...

Take it from me, pards, don't drink and post!

Thanks, Herb.
                        Ivan Ingraham
                        AC Moderator

Comment

Ivan, I'm not drinking and posting... I promise! I'm just trying to stay in a moment of clarity. I also remember sweet info packets being mailed too. I know we have become waaaay to attached to mobile phones, so I don't have a lot of sympathy in this route. Of course real world emergencies happen. Day phone, and post hours numbers were provided in regards to the event;.

I received 0 emergency calls by the way.
                          Herb Coats
                          Armory Guards &
                          WIG

Comment

Originally posted by Coatsy View Post
                            Ivan, I'm not drinking and posting... I promise! .
                            I was talking about me!
                            Ivan Ingraham
                            AC Moderator

Comment

Duly noted sir.
                              Herb Coats
                              Armory Guards &
                              WIG

Comment

Working...
                              X