Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

40th Indiana Company H Living History June 27-29, 2014 Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40th Indiana Company H Living History June 27-29, 2014 Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park

40th Indiana Company H Kennesaw Mountain (Cheatham Hill) National Battlefield Park
    Living History June 27-29, 2014
    Hosted by the Hairy Nation Boys

Contact Information:
    Nathan Hellwig (Harrison “Holler” Holloway): headlog@gmail.com Cell: 319-471-0571
    Mike Palada (Lem Ellington): mikepalada@yahoo.com

Our goal is to recreate one company (30-35 men) of the 40th Indiana Company H at or around the time of their assault on Cheatham’s Hill June 27, 1864. We will to the best of our ability to portray the men in dress, appearance and attitude.

We will: Have programs for the public (company drill, school of the soldier, skirmish drill, firings, camp life, and anything else we think of)

We will also have some surprises for the men, but we will keep that a secret until the time comes.

We will go live at 10:00 PM Friday night, and end by 12:00 Sunday morning.

Holler will work on a tour from Park Historian Willie Johnson. At our living history in 2009 Willie gave us a 2 ˝ hour tour of the sites around Kennesaw.

Two places for information: For history of the the 40th Indiana Scott Busenbark has created the following blog:

For event updates and guidelines go to our Facebook page:

Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park:

Kennesaw Mountain National Battlefield Park is a 2,965 acre National Battlefield that preserves a Civil War battleground of the Atlanta Campaign. Opposing forces maneuvered and fought here from June 19, 1864 until July 2, 1864. Although most famous as a Civil War battlefield, Kennesaw Mountain has a much richer story.

Preservation: Cost of the living history is $25.00 per person. This will cover rations and the money left over will be donated to the Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park. We will include all the men who register on our letter to the park.

Company Structure:
    Captain Lemuel Ellington
    1st Lt Archibald Campbell
    2nd Lt only if needed
    Orderly Hiram Bogum
    2nd Sgt Scott Busenbark
    Cpls added at a later date.

Impression Guidelines:
    Hat: 1. Dress hat (untrimmed) 2. Citizen hat -black(No straw hats, tophats or boilers), 3. Forage caps in limited number.

Coat: 1. Sack Coat of correct period construction can be private purchase
    2. Mounted issue jacket of correct period construction no trim
    3. No frock coats or state jackets
    4. No overcoats allowed

Trousers: Sky blue of correct period construction

Shirt: 1. Military issue domet flannel 2. Citizen shirt

Footwear: 1. Brogans of correct period construction 2. Boots
    3. No campshoes or barefoot permitted.

Rifle: 1.1863 Springfield 2. 1861 Springfield 3. 1853 Enfield
    No smoothbores or two banders.

Scabbard: Gaylord pattern, 7 rivet or 2 rivet accepted. No enfield scabbards.
    Cartridge Box: .58 pattern with sling.
    Tarred Haversack of correct period construction

Knapsack or bedroll
    Shelter tents may be used
    No cigarettes, modern eyewear, cell phones or cameras (We will have one person taking pictures.) You know what is and isn’t accepted. If not ask.

40th Indiana Living History June 27-29, 2014
    Hairy Nation Boys Sponsors
    WAIVER OF LIABILITY, RELEASE ASSUMPTION OF RISK & INDEMNITY AGREEMENT
    It is the purpose of this agreement to exempt, waive and relieve releasees from liability for personal injury, property damage, and wrongful death, including if caused by negligence, including the negligence, if any, of releasees. “Releasees” include the Hairy Nation Boys its officers and directors, event hosts, other participants, sponsors, if any, and the ______________________________.
    For and in consideration of the undersigned participant’s registration to participate in the re-enactment event to be held at _________________________________________ on the _____________________ 20____, the participant, and parents(s) or legal guardian(s), if participant is under the age of 18, hereby waive, release and relinquish any and all claims for liability and cause(s) of action, including for personal injury, property damage or wrongful death occurring to participant arising out of participation in the HNB sponsored and hosted re-enactment event, and/or activities incidental hereto, whenever or however they occur and for such period said activities continue, and by this agreement any such claims, rights, and causes of action that participant may have are hereby waived, released and relinquished, and participant does so on behalf of participant’s heirs, executors, administrators and assigns.
    Participant, and parent(s) or legal guardian(s), if participant is under the age of 18, acknowledge, understand and assume all risks relating to Civil War re-enacting, and understand that Civil War re-enacting involves risks to participant’s person including bodily injury, partial or total disability, paralysis and death, and damages which may arise therefore and that I have full knowledge of said risks. These risks and dangers may be caused by the negligence of the participant or the negligence of others, including the “releasees” identified in this document. I agree to abide by and be bound under the By-Laws and Safety & Authenticity Rules of the HNB and all rules and regulations set forth by __________________________________.
    Participant, and parent(s) or legal guardian(s), if participant if under the age of 18, acknowledge that he/she has been provided and have read the above paragraphs and have not relied upon any representations of releasees, that they are fully advised of the potential dangers of Civil War re-enacting and understand these waivers and releases are necessary to allow Civil War re-enacting to exist in its present form.

PLEASE PRINT ALL INFORMATION
    Name ____________________________________________ Unit______________________
    First Person Name:__________________
    Address __________________________________________

City ____________________________ State _______________
    Zip Code _________________
    Phone number _____________________________________
    In case of emergency, please contact _________________________ (____)_________________
    Participant Signature:
__________________________________ Date__________________________________
    Parent or Guardian Signature (if participant in under the age of 18): __________________________________ Date:______________________________

Ration and Preservation Donation
    Please send $25.00 money order or Paypal to:
    Mike Palada

6140 Davis Prairie Trl

Fulton, MO 65251

cell# 314-960-3264

PayPal through mikepalada@yahoo.com
    Last edited by Coatsy; 07-22-2013, 10:14 AM. Reason: Approved, Herb Coats, Moderator
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Re: 40th Indiana Company H Living History June 27-29, 2014 Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park

Thanks for posting Holler, I will ensure the boys in the 24th Missouri are aware of this effort when we build our schedule for 2014. We always enjoy falling in with the HNB.

Plug sends~
    Mark Vlahos
    24th Missouri Volunteer Infantry
    New Braunfels TX

[I]Travel Light and Forage![/I]

Comment

Re: 40th Indiana Company H Living History June 27-29, 2014 Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park

I for one will lobby for this event at the unit scheduling meeting this fall. The men of the Hairy Nation Boys have always been great pards to us, and we've had a working relationship with them since our old AoP days together. Our Vicksburg event with them in May was a smashing success.

They've made some savvy adjustments to the Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park Living History, most notably an accommodating calendar shift and a significant location change at the event site. I am here to say these boys mean business, and if you are looking for a first rate immersion experience look no further than this event.

I should be there, as a hired gun if I have to.
      Mike Phineas
      Arlington, TX
      24th Missouri Infantry
      Independent Volunteer Battalion
      www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Glad to hear that the boys of the 24th are interested! Look forward to seeing all of you boys at Kennesaw. Tell your pards - I can promise that all those attending Kennesaw will not be bored. We will have a full schedule for the weekend.

Registration is now open (see above). Don't miss out.

Your pard,

Mike Palada
        (aka Lemuel Ellington, Hairy Nation Boys)
        Mike Palada
        aka Lemuel Ellington, Hairy Nation Boys

Comment

Ah! But is the life of a soldier not 90% boredom? haha
          This sounds very promising. Sadly I did not make Vicksburg, hopefully, if this ends up on our unit schedule I will not have conflicts!
          Jonathan Siltman
          24th Missouri Vol. Inf.
          Bully Boys Mess
          www.24thmissouri.org
          Ft. Sill Museum Gun Crew
          Good ol' Fashion Troublemaker

Comment

Originally posted by 24thVOL View Post
            Ah! But is the life of a soldier not 90% boredom? haha

...Well not for the boys of the 40th, leading up to the assault on Cheatham Hill. Hope you to see you and your pards there! :)

Mike Palada
            (aka Lemuel Ellington, Hairy Nation Boys)
            Mike Palada
            aka Lemuel Ellington, Hairy Nation Boys

Comment

Now that events for 2013 are coming to a close no better time to register for Kennesaw. We, the Hairy Nation hope to see you at Kennesaw in June!!
              Nathan Hellwig
              "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

A chance to portray a unit raised in my hometown in Indiana is something I won't miss!

My only beef, though, is that you're not allowing overcoats. Sheesh, how's a guy 'sposed to stay warm in Georgia in late June!!??
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Well, this one is a no-brainer. Will get in my registration tonight.
                  Eric Fair

"A word in earnest is as good as a speech." Charles Dickens - [I]Bleak House[/I]

Comment

Schedule permitting, I am in for this one too. Registration forthcoming.
                    Ivan Ingraham
                    AC Moderator

Comment

There are a LOT of good, high quality events shaping up for the Atlanta Campaign. I cannot think of a better group than THE NATION! to get your Western Federal on with at Kennesaw.
                      Last edited by Coatsy; 11-19-2013, 11:18 AM. Reason: Wooooooooh!
                      Herb Coats
                      Armory Guards &
                      WIG

Comment

Holler,
                        Need to talk to you offline... Tom Williams is interested in attending, but not sure what roles are available/desired for the event.
                        John Wickett
                        Former Carpetbagger
                        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

After all the chatter this weekend I would be a fool to pass this up! Registration forthcoming.
                          Scott Gulley
                          PPM/GHTI/WIG

Comment

Don't forget to send in your registrations! We would like to have a good size, authentic company for the NPS and public. Besides Pickets Mill we hope you join us too!!
                            Nathan Hellwig

Comment

Just a little bump for this event. We need to have an estimate of our numbers. If you plan on attending, but are waiting to register please drop me an e-mail headlong@gmail.com.

Thanks!
                              Nathan Hellwig

Comment

Working...
                              X