No announcement yet.

Following the Footsteps of the Onesers - 121st NY Infantry to Sailor's Creek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following the Footsteps of the Onesers - 121st NY Infantry to Sailor's Creek

1) Wednesday, 14 September to Friday, 16 September 1864

"Sept 14th 15th 16th During the past days nothing of use to record has transpired. We have lain in Camp having drills evry day. No time to rest or to even write all my time is compleetly taken up."

Sgt. John Hartwell, 121st NY, Co. C
    "To my Beloved Wife and Boy at Home", p. 284

2) September 15, 1864 - Rev. John Ripley Adams was mustered into service with the 121st having been discharged from previous duties with the 5th Maine on June 24th. "The men of the 121st were so taken with Adams's style and substance that they prevailed on Governor Seymour to ask for his services with the regiment. In addition, other chaplains petitioned Albany to appoint Adams, "an exemplary Christian," as the 121st chaplain.

Rev. Adams was persuaded and mustered in on Sept 15th. Dr. Daniel Holt, the surgeon of the 121st proclaimed Adams' character. "He is a good man and a smart one at that. We feel fortunate in securing his services." Pvt. Delvan Bates, 121st NY, called Adams a "noble, whole souled individual working from a sense of duty, and...second only to Col. Upton in influence with the regiment."

The regiment clearly treasured Adams and his comradeship and the spiritual protection he offered. "Often while on the road in the valley, the men of the regiment would be roused before daylight and ordered to strike their tents and prepare to move, only to have the order countermanded and tents pitched again. Once, the men of the 121st surprised Adams by restriking his tent, with the comment that they would move out the next day - "we never fix up our camp and tents without moving." They moved out the next day."

Upton's Regulars, p. 332-333
    Thomas Steele
    Sally Port Mess
    Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
    Old Northwest Volunteers

Marmadukes Raid II
    BGA Gettysburg - 24th Mich, Co. F
    Fort Sanders - 20th Mich

Re: Following the Footsteps of the Onesers - 121st NY Infantry to Sailor's Creek

Following in the Footsteps of the Onesers - 121st NY Infantry

"Sunday, 18 September 1864

Had Inspection & Review of out Divis By Genl E Upton in front of our briestworks. I wrote a letter home to my Wife in the middle of the day. In the afternoon we got orders to be ready to move & so we packed up everything but before dark The order was Countermanded & we again piched our tents for the night. Great Cheering "

Sgt John Hartwell, 121st NY
    Co. C

- - - Updated - - -

"Sunday, 18 September 1864 (Letter#84 to wife previously mentioned)

Camp of the 121st N.Y. Near Berryville Sept 18th 1864
    My Beloved Wife,

I have just received yours of Sept. 11th & I also before received one of the 9th both containing stamps & money to the amount of your estimate made in yours of the11th for which I am obliged to you as it comes very good now. We expect pay again VERY soon unless in too active operations to permit it. You will of course with to know what we are or have been doing & in fact are to do. Well we have for near 2 weeks have been laying in this camp doing nothing but drill, this has been in the service over two long years but Officer must show off as to gain themselves an eagle or a Star. And so it goes from one day to another nor is the Sabbath respected except by drill. Now to day we have JUST returned to camp from Brigade Review near a mile from here, this took until noon. On arriving at camp in came my turn to go on guard as I now AM. Now do you suppose it possible for this the have been done yesterday or even tomorrow. Oh no it would not interfere with our tedious DRILL & the men would have all Sabbath day to themselves. We are this morning put under Marching Orders & expect to leave here & advance before long perhaps before tomorrow morning so I am in a little hurry to send this letter to you as we may be on the move & have no chance to correspond until we stop again. We NOW get mail only twice a week & can send no oftener, in my last letter to you I wrote about my have a bad turn of the heart disease. Since then I have been well as usual & hope i shall not be troubled again that way. I am glad to get letters so often from you my dear, they are a source of great comfort to me. I have only a few minutes more to write as the main is soon going out & unless I get this in in time it will be a delay of 3 days. Now for to answer the most important points of your letters I am very glad you are likely to have so many Greening Apples. Now I wish you would not sell one of them for reasons I will hereafter give. As to the Honey do not sell so but what I can have a few lbs. I can get double here for all you have to sell in price. Now I must stop but I intend to have more than filled this large sheet but time will not permit So My Dear loving & true Wife accept a husbands best wishes & true love & a good by.

J. F. Hartwell"

- - - Updated - - -

Monday the 19th of Sept.

Reveille at half past one A.M. We all got up & got a little to eat & wer so ready to move. We moved a little before daylight toard Winchester. At daylight our Cavelry advanced by us & soon found the enemy in force on the banks of the Ocquicuon Crick. Here they held our Cavelry at bay. The head of our Collums & comming up threw out a strong Skirmishline which with the help of a Battery or two soon drove the enemy from the Crick back two miles on to their favorite ground. In front of them we formed in lines of Battle, the 19th Corps on our right & and a parte of the 8th on THEIR right on our flank. Then comenced one of the great battles of the war. Charges wer made by us & we repulsed. A General and Grand charge was finaly mad by our line which was 3 miles & over long & in best of order concidering our being constantly subjects to a galling fire from the enemys infantry & Artillery but thank God we drove the rebels & soon had all their works and 5 pieces of Arillery & near 3000 prisoners. In this Battle Our Brave Leader Gen Emory Upton was badly wounded while leading on the charge. The loss by no is heavy in Killed & Wounded but I think not more than that of the enemy. Our regt lost in all 20. Our Co. C had 5 wounded & E A Jones killed. Wounded are E Ford, James Innis, Wm. Whitehead, Wm Silor, & one other Tho Williams, Corpl. In the charge we compleetly turned the enemys left flank driving them before us like a flock of sheep. In this condition our Cavelry came down on them & scattered them in all directions. We halted for the night in Winchester. Here I found some good grapes & as I had had no time to eat or drink I eat a good lot."

Sgt John Hartwell, 121st NY Infantry
    Co. C.

To My Beloved Wife and Boy at Home. p. 286

- - - Updated - - -

“Tuesday Sept 20th 1864
    Before daylight we again wer in rapid pursuit after the enemy whose principal force had gone toards Strasburge. We passed through Newtown, Middletown & across Cedar C & as near to Strassburge to the possitions we once before occupied & went into Camp for the night. Marched 19 miles today & we are very much tierd out. During our abcence since our last visit here the rebels had built a good bridge across Cedar Creek so we did not have to ford it, they not being alowed even time to distroy the bridge them so closely did our Cavelry press after them today.”
    Sgt. John F. Hartwell, 121st NY
    Co. C

“Wednesday Sept 21st 1864
    About daylight 10 am we left our encampment & moved past & the the right of Strausburge on the same side of the river & extended our line so as if possible to come a flank movement on the enemy. But here we found them in a strong possition & strongly fortified. Sheridan seemed inclined to provoke the rebels to charge on him. The 1st Mass Battery was run out on the Skirmish line & opened on the enemy but got no reply & at Sunsett they returned within our line of Battle. Heavy Skirmish firing with plenty of Artillery all day. We have made conciderable show of troops today for 2 objects one to draw their Artilly fire & another to get them to come out or dig to the rear.

We lay down among the rock on the steep & rough side hill & tried to sleep. Col. Olcutt returned today having been abcent on leave for 3 or 4 days but few seemed glad to see him except by the line.”

Sgt. John F. Hartwell, 121st NY
    Co. C

To My Beloved Wife and Boy at Home, p. 286-287

- - - Updated - - -

Letter #85

“Strausburge, Va. Sept 21st 1864

To My Beloved Wife

Hoping that I can remain undisturbed until I can write this letter to you I commence a rambling account. When I last wrote you we wer in encamped near Berryville. I wrote to you on Sunday the 18th but did not get time to fill my letter as usual for me for we got orders to pick up & be ready to move etc. We did pick up everything & expected to move but before night the order was countermanded & we put up our tents as usual. I was on guard on Sunday & night & got no moments sleep. On the morning of the 19th at half past one A.M. we wer called up & ordered ready to move. So we some of us got a little to eat before starting. At a little before daylight our Corps. Commenced moving to the front in 3 columns & in the direction of Winchester. As soon as I was daylight out Cavelry commenced to advance & soon encountered the enemys Pickets which with their reserves wer soon put to flight. The Cavelry followed them closely to Cedar Crick when we found the enemy in force so the Infantry relieved the Cavelry & a brisk fight was soon going on along a long line of Skirmishers closely followed by us. We crossed the Crick & crowded the enemy back for 2 miles when they came on us with a heavy force & compelled the 3rd Division to fall back in great haste. This caused the 19th Corps which wer on our right to waver & finally fall back about ˝ mile at this time the 2nd and 1st Divis. Advanced on the double quick over a large cleared field amid deadly showers of cannister & shell to say nothing of balls from musketry. We however succeeded in gaining the woods & thare opened on the advancing enemy a galling fire. This was kept up for a long time, finally the rebels gave up for a time & we made a charge & gained a good possition in another woods. Here we had a good view of the enemy in check until the 19th Corps again reformed & with us all formed in a line of battle reaching over 2 miles the most of it was in sight of me. Toards night after all was ready we found the rebels wer under cover of a range of knowls forming a line of battle to charge on us. This was seen by us & a charge was ordered & a terrible one too I assure you. It seems the plan of our Generals was to turn their left flank & the 19th Corp wer to swing around toards our left. This was done admirably. We charged as far as we could without stoping so the line was halted & reformed. We then advanced again driving like a flock of sheep before the rebel columnes. The first line of defences wer carried before we stopped, here again we took cover firing during this time as rapidly as possible but the strongest works wer yet to be taken or wer to be defeated & we saw the enemies reinforments arrange all along their long line of breastworks & we doubted our ability to take them at all as we had but very little Artillery we could bring to bare to advantage on theirs on the other hand they massed all their Artillery on us & gave a terrible shelling & all the Grape & cannister we wanted as we wer laying flat on the ground it did not do us so much damage as it first seemed it must. The most damage done to us by them was when shells filled with balls (called shrapnel) burst in our ranks, between us & the rebels earth works was a cleared field nearly level a distance of our 1000 yds but all at once like a hurricane down on the rebels left flank dashed a heavy picked boddy of Sheridans best cavalry closely followed by the 19th Corps then we at this moment charged again across the rebel works taking them at last with 5 pieces of Artillery, this decided the day in our favor. Cheer after cheer filled the air as our men mounted the strong works & saw the large bodies of prisoners that we by the aid of the Cavelry had taken. Then again we advanced to the Citty & the Cavelry went in pursuit. Thus closed this day. When we got to the citty it was soon dark & pursuit with infantry dangerous so after dark we lay down & slept & oh how tired we wer and lame from we had been Charging on the enemy for 3 miles at the least. We drove the enemy in all 7 miles on the 19th. We took over 4000 prisoners, 5 pieces of artillery that I know of & over 7000 stands of arms & a large number of battle flags. Our loss is heavy but not more that the enemy killed & wounded. Our regt. 20 wounded & killed out of the Co. C lost 6 men & have to this date 3 more missing. Sergt. E. A. Jones killed, the wounded are Edwin Ford (lost his right leg near his boddy) Corpl. Thomas Williams (wounded in the shoulder very serious wound) James Smith of Middleville lost his right fore finger. Wm. Whitehead Hermiker wound shoulder (slight) Wm. Siler (spent ball very slight) the missing Wait Orvis, Phillip Vanhorn & Wm Myers, the three lost are believed to be safe & well as they went {to} help away wounded. We now have 11 guns in Co. C present for duty in all. I assure you I never saw so great a defeat as this was, it was one of the greatest battles of the war & ended in the total defeat of the rebels in this valley. If darkness had not set in so soon by an hour we should have easily bagged nearly the entire rebel Army here. The next morning (yesterday) as soon as it was day we again started on a swift march in pursuit & at night found them snug inside a strong line of forts & breast works in the gap near Strasburge. We hold the town & our troops are Skirmishing to day with them wheather we are to attack them we do not know as it is a strong place & easily defended. Now I have a word to say about myself. I am spared by the grace of God to see this day alive & well. I did not get even a scratch from a ball although thousand came unfortunately close to my person. I feel dear Wife you have & I have great reason to thank God that I have been spared through this great battle. Join with me in your prayers of thanks to God who saved me through so great peril & danger & may I never be so thoughtless & ungrateful as to forget the past. Our Army is not in the least demoralized but fill of hope. We lost Gen. Russell, killed, the commander of the 1st Divis. & Our noble Brig. Gen. Upton I am sorry to say is badly wounded. he led the last grand charge & fell from his horse into the arms of his soldiers who carefully carried him to the rear as soon as possible. I will probably add a line or two more when I have a chance to send this letter. Now dearest one be hopefull & thankful & do not forget to pray for your absent Husband. As I lay on the battle field on the evening of the 19th I told my comerads you wer praying for me & then I believed your rpayers may have saved my life. Good By Sept 22nd We are still fighting. I am well. God bless you, Good by.”

J.F Hartwell

To My Beloved Wife and Boy at Home, p. 287

- - - Updated - - -

"Sept 22st Thursday

Between 12 and 1 AM we packed up & moved off to the right about a mile & formed in line of Battle & Imediately comenced throwing up breast works & before day light had nearly completed them. The forenoon was spent in extending our works & skirmishing with the enemy repulsed one of their charges to try to drive us from the possition we had taken & which had been taken from them by force last evening. Our Skirmishers during the middle of day Charged in this line & captured a line of light canons taking a few prisoners. At 5 PM our combined force concisting of a front of 3 Corps the 6th Corps occupying the centre Charged on the enemy compleetly routing them from all points & driving them toards Woodstock in great confusion. In this engagement we took 25 pieces of Cannon & several thousand prisoners. By the time we had full possition of Fishers Hill it was dark & we halted in mass & wer told to get supper which we set about in earnest for Soldiers are always hungry. By the time we had thing fairly to cooking we wer ordered to pick up & fall in. We then began our nights march in pursuit of the flying enemy keeping close upon their rear & picking up stragglers & stray horses & wagons. Today I was ordered to Act as sergt of Co. C & keep the run of the Co & make a report daily of everything in the Co. Lieut James Johnston commanding Co C gave me the orders & so I took my post & did to the best of my ability."

John F. Hartwell, 121st NY,
    Co. C

To My Beloved Wife and Boy At Home. p. 290-291

- - - Updated - - -

"Friday Sept 23rd 1864

At daylight we found our selves passing through the streets of Woodstock. Halted just outside the village & got breakfast & drew rations. At 1 P.M. we again moved on & marched to Edenburg & encamped for the night on the higths above the village. The 121st wer deployed as wagon guards & so came last into Camp about dark. Had an easy march today."

John Hartwell, 121st NY
    Co. C

To My Beloved Wife and Boy At Home. P. 291
    Thomas Steele
    Sally Port Mess
    Old Northwest Volunteers

Marmadukes Raid II
    Fort Sanders - 20th Mich

Comment

Re: Following the Footsteps of the Onesers - 121st NY Infantry to Sailor's Creek

Some chunks of his diary and letters are viewable on google books. Sailor's Creek isn't available, but several pages about the week before the Breakthrough are.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

"Friday Dec 23rd
        Brigade Drill for 3 1/2 hours by 2 fingered Jack. NO RATIONS. Dress perade at evening. Orders read.”

Sgt JF Hartwell, 121st NY Vol
        To My Beloved Wife and Boy At Home, p. 324

“Dec 23, 1864
        I have visited the Christian Commision to-day, and obtained jelly, farina, blackberry, and preparations for the sick; also some mittens for the soldiers on guard these cold nights. These associations are doing a good work, as aids to establish agen-cies connected with the army.

A dispatch has been sent to the regiments, informing us of the fall of Savannah, and of operations at Wilmington, and successes at other places. We hope all this is true.”

Rev. John R. Adams, 121st NY - Chaplain
        Memorial and Letters of Rev. John R. Adams, D.D., p. 190

- - - Updated - - -

"Dec 24th (SAT) & 25 (SUN)
        Clear & cold on Sunday had Brigade inspection. Sermon by C(haplain). Addams."

“December 25.
        Yesterday I rode to the Christian Commission and obtained reading for the Sabbath; the men desire it. To-day we are reminded of the birth of Christ, and his assumption of humanity; my meditation on His character and His mediatorial work has been profitable to my soul. I preached this afternoon on the words of Paul (1 Timothy i. 1-15). The usual meeting in my tent this evening.

- - - Updated - - -

"Monday Dec 26th 1864
        About 100 men went out on Picket. rainy day. I am still at work on house"

“December 26.
        This morning one hundred guns announced to the army the fall of Savannah. A nice “Christmas present to President Lincoln”! General Sherman is doing wondrous things. I should think the hearts of the Confederates would sink within them.
        This afternoon I called at brigade headquarters. I had a very pleasant call on McKenzie, and obtained the “Life of Prescott”, written by George Ticknor."

- - - Updated - - -

"Tuesday Dec 27th. Pleasant day. All the men left camp doing extra Police Duty in or around Camp."

“December 27.
        I have been intensely interested in reading Prescott’s Life. The circulation of it will do good in one respect, - in showing what can be done under adverse circumstances. Most men would have been discouraged, with the loss of sight, and made it an excuse for doing nothing, or else would have been fretful and complaining. His history, though interesting, is sad, and many lessons are to be learned from its perusal.

Memorial and Letters of Rev. John R. Adams, D.D., p. 190-191

- - - Updated - - -

"Wednesday Dec 28th
        Regt returned from Picket. Regt received the new patent 60 round Cartridge boxes. Old style turned in in place of new."

"Thursday Dec 29th
        132 men ordered out on extra Duty, which took evrything able to do duty at the Camp Guards & a few sick. The House Carpenters wer ordered out but I would not go as I excused myself on account of not being well & out of rations. So I staid in Camp doing nothing but sleep. The men thus detailed reported to Divis H Q but could not be supplied with tools & soon returned to Camp. Orders from Brig HQ for Commishoned and non Commishoned Officers to recit lessons in Casey's Tactics."

"Friday Dec 30th 1864
        A detail of 100 men went out from our regt this morning to repair & strengthen our line of Abattise in front of our Brigade. I went to work on the house again. Fine day and VERY little to eat."

To My Beloved Wife and Boy At Home, p. 324-325

- - - Updated - - -

Happy New Year from the winter camp of the 121st NY!

"Saturday Dec 31st 1864
        At half past 3 AM we wer alarmed by a sharp Picket firing along our front & we wer soon at our breastworks waiting further Developments from the enemy, but as they did not succeed in surprising our Pickets they beat a hasty retreat to their own works, & since have remained very quiet. Out Pickets wer apprised of the intended attack by a rebel Diserter coming in advance. We have just been mustered for 2 months pay. Pay now due me for 4 months service 72 dollars. Allowance for Clothing not drawn 28.76 cts making a total of $100.76 cts now due me on our next pay day. Constance Benedict returned from Winchester VA to Co. and reported for duty. Glad to see him again. It is a cold blustering snowy & rainy day & it is getting very muddy. This is the last day of the year and with it I close this little Book hoping I shall not have to recorde so many dangers in the next 8 months to come. But still hope what I have written will be interesting as well as a source of informa-tion to my beloved family and friends at home. Thousands of dear lives have been lost while I have been writing this yet I through the Goodness of God have been spared and am permitted once more to see the close of another year in perfect health and strength.

Your Friend,
        Sergt J. F. Hartwell, Co. C. 121 Reg N.Y. Voll"
        To My Beloved Wife and Boy At Home, p. 326

“Dec. 31, 1864.
        This morning we were startled from our slumbers by sudden and rapid musketry, accompanied with loud yells. The first thought was that we were attacked; the drum was beat, and the cry resounded, “Fall in! fall in!” In a few moments all our men and the adjoining regiments were in position behind the breastworks. It was not long before the musketry ceased, and we were as quiet as ever. We have not yet learned the cause. It is one of the episodes of our winter quarters, and we must take matters as they come, even though we have to dress in a hurry, and stumble over various things before we find matches, candles, etc.

This forenoon we were mustered for pay, as is always done at the end of two months; it is done simultaneously throughout the whole army, north, south, east, and west, on the same day, and the same hour of the day.

This is the last day of the year. We all have occasion for thankfulness for God’s goodness to us and our family. May I be more useful than ever before, in the army and out of the army, whatever my lot may be.”

Memorial and Letters of Rev. John R. Adams, D.D., p. 191
        Thomas Steele
        Sally Port Mess
        Old Northwest Volunteers

Marmadukes Raid II
        Fort Sanders - 20th Mich

Comment

Working...
        X