X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silas
    replied
    Re: Grand Review

You don't get to do the anniversary of the solitary, Confederate only review in Washington City until we reach June, 2017. That would be the 100th anniversary of the UCV/SCV's big reunion. Coverage of the review and pre-event hype galore can be found in Confederate Veteran magazines covering the spring and summer of 1917. Somehow, I just don't see a Confederate only review happening again.

Leave a comment:

• hamsalad
    replied

It should be a federal only event if we are to do this right. If it isn't on the same day as the actual event oh well, the BGA Gettysburg isn't on the same dates anyway. Regardless it would be a great event to have because of its uniqueness.

Leave a comment:

• Jeremy Bevard
    replied

From historical point of view it should be difficult to do anything other than Federal.

Leave a comment:

• J. Donaldson
    replied

From an historical perspective, it would be impossible to do anything BUT a Federal-only Grand Review. The Reunification dogma didn't kick in for a decade or so. Johnnies can watch from the sidewalk.

Leave a comment:

• JustRob
    replied

From a political perspective, it will be difficult to do anything other than a Federal Only Grand Review.

[and from a historical perspective, it would be incorrect to do anything other than Federal Only.]

Bringing that many firearms into D.C. would also be nigh impossible.
    Last edited by JustRob; 04-30-2013, 01:59 PM.

Leave a comment:

• VetUSMC08
    replied

We actually had a discussion on this in great length via my Facebook page. To sum it up, there are some big conflicting issues 1. The date would conflict with the the National Memorial Day parade, so the idea was thrown around about coordinating with the city to have it be part of that parade 2. The expenses to have a Grand Review/Parade would be too great (again due to the timing and staffing) 3. That's A LOT of guns which would mean staffing to ensure that every weapon is rendered inert. 4. Where would we host the living history aspect?

These are just some of the things we discussed. Unless it were part of the National Memorial Day parade, I just don't think it would be feasible. I could be wrong, but this is just my 2 cents. I am open for discussion on the matter and welcome input from others.

Leave a comment:

• hamsalad
    replied

I am interested in finding out about this too. Just a friendly bump.

Leave a comment:

• VetUSMC08
    started a topic Grand Review

Grand Review

This may be opening a can of worms, but is there anything being done/coordinated/ideas thrown around about the Grand Review in 2015?
Working...
X