31st Iowa Company B Living History Lookout Mtn June 24-26,2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 31st Iowa Company B Living History Lookout Mtn June 24-26,2016

The Hairy Nation Boys will host a living history at Lookout Mountain June 24-26, 2016. Our impression will be that of Company B of the 31st Iowa. At this time we are working on the guidelines. We do have a Facebook page for information but we will use this site as well. If you have any questions please contact me at headlog@gmail.com or call 319-471-0571
    Captain Lemuel Ellington
    1st Lt. Archibald Campbell
    Orderly Sgt Ivan Ingraham
    Nathan Hellwig
    AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
    "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Re: 31st Iowa Company B Living History Lookout Mtn June 24-26,2016

As Holler says, we'll have the guidelines for you all soon.

There are a lot of images of individual men from this company out there. Please keep in mind if you are impatiently googling that every one of these (that I have ever seen) was taken in Louisville KY at mustering out and thus not relevant to this impression.
    Arch Campbell
    Hairy Nation
    Loyal Union League
    Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

I'd love another chance to portray an Iowan! Root Hog Or Die! Private Solomon Sager, 31st Iowa 31st Ia.jpg
      Stephen Lunsford

Possum Skinners Mess/Tick Creek Troublemakers

150th Pickett's Mill May 2014-5th Kentucky
      150th Franklin (Carnton Plantation) November 2014-20th Tennessee
      150th Bentonville, March 2015-10th Iowa
      Pea Ridge Adjunct, September 2015-24th Missouri
      Blakeley Living History, April 2016-1st/3rd Missouri CS
      Picket Post, May 2016, Company C, 9th Tennessee "Creek Bank Mess"
      Lookout Mountain Living History, June 2017, 31st Iowa "Root Hog or Die"
      154th Chickamauga Living History, September 2017, Co. C, 23rd Tennessee
      Battle of Wauhatchie (Aka "Wet-hatchie"), Tennessee, October 27-28, 2017, 78th New York "12th Corps!!!"

Comment

Well, since you mentioned it...

This impression is actually the inspiration for the creation of that chant. According to one member, the 31st sang "Root Hog" as they went up Lookout. ( The chant is the chorus of the song.)
        Arch Campbell
        Hairy Nation
        Loyal Union League
        Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

That is really cool to know!
          Stephen Lunsford

Possum Skinners Mess/Tick Creek Troublemakers

150th Pickett's Mill May 2014-5th Kentucky
          150th Franklin (Carnton Plantation) November 2014-20th Tennessee
          150th Bentonville, March 2015-10th Iowa
          Pea Ridge Adjunct, September 2015-24th Missouri
          Blakeley Living History, April 2016-1st/3rd Missouri CS
          Picket Post, May 2016, Company C, 9th Tennessee "Creek Bank Mess"
          Lookout Mountain Living History, June 2017, 31st Iowa "Root Hog or Die"
          154th Chickamauga Living History, September 2017, Co. C, 23rd Tennessee
          Battle of Wauhatchie (Aka "Wet-hatchie"), Tennessee, October 27-28, 2017, 78th New York "12th Corps!!!"

Comment

Very cool to know I'll have another chance to portray some Iowa boys. I had to miss Bentonville. Looks like it's gonna be a cool one.
            Jake Book

------------------
            21st Wisconsin - Picket Post - May, 2016
            123rd Illinois - Perryville - October, 2016

Comment

It is also mentioned in John Henry Otto's memoir; seems the saying was more common than realized. This is from his journal entry dated around Jaunary 1863. He writes of being stiff in the joints after a long march and being summoned to march yet further.

Well, I started but; Oh, my! It seemed all the joints were stiff and squealing. I stopped and taking another sniff [of liquor!] said to myself: 'Henry, you must stand it; root, hog, or die.' And so I set the stiff limbs in motion again." Memoirs Of A Dutch Mudsill, Gould and Kennedy, eds; Kent State University Press, 2004. Pp 108.
              Ivan Ingraham
              AC Moderator

Comment

Keep me in mind for this Holler. I'd love to make it out to this, work and school schedule permitting.
                Your humble servant....
                Sean Collicott
                [URL="www.sallyportmess.itgo.com"]Sally Port Mess[/URL]
                [URL="http://oldnorthwestvols.org/onv/index.php"]Old Northwest Volunteers[/URL]

Comment

Sounds like a good time. I will see if I can make it out there gents.
                  Andrew Roscoe,
                  The Western Rifles - An Authentic Civil War mess in PA, MD, VA, NC, and SC
                  24th Michigan Volunteer Infantry
                  Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Should be a good one. Looking forward to being there.
                    Tom Klas
                    Hard Head Mess
                    Citizens Guard

Comment

Count me in.. You fellas have breathed new life into me .
                      Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

I want to emphatically state that I will be at this event.

Count on it.
                        Mike Phineas
                        Arlington, TX
                        24th Missouri Infantry
                        Independent Volunteer Battalion
                        www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

This will be a bully time! Really looking forward to this. Thanks for putting this on Holler.
                          Tyler Underwood
                          Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                          Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Guidelines and registration forms will come out this fall.
                            Nathan Hellwig
                            AKA Harrison "Holler" Holloway
                            "It was the Union armies west of the Appalachians that struck the death knell of the Confederacy." Leslie Anders ,Preface, The Twenty-First Missouri

Comment

Someone recently posted that they wanted to learn the lyrics for Root, Hog or Die. I thought it was in this thread. Doesn't appear to be, but being mentioned herein, here's a link to an 1856 song sheet for Root, Hog or Die : http://levysheetmusic.mse.jhu.edu/catalog/levy:015.114b Click on the pdf to the right to get the full version in pdf format.

Linked here are a few more examples : http://www.loc.gov/search/?in=&q=root+hog+die&new=true

I hate to admit it, but I hear the Bobby Horton version in my head when I hear the title to this song. As much as I dislike the recorded versions of the songs he did, he did take from period sources. I've stumbled across many of them while looking for other song sheets.
                              Silas Tackitt,
                              one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
                              X