1863 U.S. War Dep't Manual on Outpost and Patrol Duty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1863 U.S. War Dep't Manual on Outpost and Patrol Duty

In preparation for Picket Post, I've been scouring various manuals and diary accounts. You name the manual, I've probably gone through it. All have similarities and all have some really good tips. My current thought is to update my own booklet on Guards, Pickets, Camps and Marches. If you haven't seen before, here's the link to my booklet which you can review and print for free : http://www.zipcon.net/~silas/Drill/guidespickets.htm

The manual which really caught my attention is something from my own links page : Instructions for officers and non-commissioned officers on outpost and patrol duty (1863). Here's a link : https://books.google.com/books?id=l-...page&q&f=false The below is from the preface :

WAR DEPARTMENT,
    March 25, 1862.

The following detailed Instructions on Outpost and Patrol Duty and Troops in Campaign are published for the information of the Army, and will be distributed to regiments. Part I although more especially designed for cavalry is likewise applicable to infantry

The link I provided goes directly to part one. There's some great practical stuff in here. You might be seeing some of the information from this book in my updated booklet.

FYI, it seems that every writer had his own way of describing the various lines. For example, the line closest to the enemy could be called vedettes, pickets or sentinels. When viewing the literature, don't get too caught up in the specific names. Focus on the concepts of what the line closest to the enemy does. And the one behind it, and the one behind it. The names differ, but the duties are generally the same. For this Picket Post, the blue side will designate the names of the three lines so that the blue participants are all on the same page.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Re: 1863 U.S. War Dep't Manual on Outpost and Patrol Duty

Silas is compiling a great resource. We are five months out and Coy Commander's will be provided plenty of information to prepare.

Thanks again, Silas.
    Ivan Ingraham
    AC Moderator

Comment

Great resources! I'm on my second read through them. I highly encourage everyone to take advantage of the outstanding compilation of resources that Silas has put together.
      Patrick M. Ferringer

Governor Guards
      SCAR

Comment

Stumbled upon this while searching for something else. It's entitled, "Excerpts from DalBello's Instructions for Guards and Pickets (2d Ed., 1999)" and appears to have been printed for Perryville, 2002. Link : http://www.armyofthepacific.com/Red_...04%20pages.pdf It's a four page pdf in big print from a great resource. Had to share.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
        X