Question re: 21st Wisconsin at Stones River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re: 21st Wisconsin at Stones River

Andy, my understanding is that you're the resident expert here about the 21st Wisconsin. Since we're portraying this unit after Stones River and before the Tullahoma Campaign, I've been curious about the location of the 21st at Stones RIver.

I'm planning on traveling through Murfreesboro and doing a drive-by of the park after the event. I'd like to visit any markers or prominent places associated with the 21st. Where would you suggest? The diary accounts are great, but some context would really be appreciated. I know the general concept of this battle, but haven't studied it at any length.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Re: Question re: 21st Wisconsin at Stones River

Hi Silas,

The part of the engagement that comes up the most in 21st accounts is separate from the main battle itself. On December 30, the regiment was involved in action defending the wagon train along the Jefferson Pike. Where exactly that action took place, I cannot say. During the battle itself, Starkweather's brigade was not as heavily engaged. The brigade did not receive orders to join the rest of the Rousseau's division until the morning of Dec 31st, joining the division later in the day. The men do talk of being under artillery fire during the battle itself. As far as a position, Michael H. Fitch says on the night of Dec 31 they were near the Chicago Board of Trade Battery. Losses for the regiment was about 10, according to one officer's diary.

For an approximate position, see "Starkweather" on this January 2 map from the Civil War Preservation Trust:

Sorry, the page you were looking for doesn’t exist. Have you tried our keyword search? Go to the homepage or email us at web@battlefields.org if we...

As an interesting side note, multiple sources mention being short on rations during the battle itself. When the horse of one of the Starkweather brothers was hit by an artillery shell, the men of the brigade wasted no time in butchering, cooking, and eating the horse. John Otto says it was Gen. John C. Starkweather's horse; Michael H. Fitch says it was the General's brother Fred's horse.

In general, any markers that mention Starkweather's Brigade and you would be on the right path. If the marker is for Rousseau's Division on December 31, the 21st was not yet at the field.
    Last edited by Andy Ackeret; 03-17-2016, 11:16 PM.
    Andy Ackeret
    A/C Staff
    Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Silas: Perhaps these will also help in your expedition. They are from the Stone's River troop movement maps by Ed Bearss.
      Attached Files
      Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

A little more info as far as Wheeler's attack on Starkweather's wagon train on the 30th. Here is some fairly specific info on the location: http://www.civilwarmurfreesboro.com/...und-old-rosey/

You can find the site on Google maps. It is very close to the Old Sam Davis plantation.
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob, thanks for the information about that action!
          Andy Ackeret
          A/C Staff
          Mess No. 3 / Hard Head Mess / O.N.V

Comment

Working...
          X