On To Richmond AAR Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On To Richmond AAR Thread

So, I am astonished the grand tradition of Charles Heath is not on this thread yet...

"I had fun. how 'bout you?"

There... I said it.

;)
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: On To Richmond AAR Thread

Most of the AAR reports seem to be happening on the event's Facebook page. Shame that, as Things Learned Along The Way disappear into the ether.

Here's a lesson though: Fellers, please be sure your family has the event emergency telephone contact. Because you never know.

Here's what transpired. My phone is turned to silent and buried in the same box with car keys and such. Normally it's off and in the van, but I'd gone offsite site to dinner with Mr Underwood's DarlingBabyGirl, so that's the reason I had it. On Sunday morning , I heard the telltale rattlesnake vibration of a phone call, and after digging it out, found that ladies had been texting me for a couple of hours.

Bottom line--a participant's wife was ill and on her way to the hospital. Nobody had the emergency number and could I find the Park Ranger?

Things were also a bit vague on the details at first--who is he with? Who is his commander? Which side?

In the years I was caring for my father, and brought in sitters for the weekend, the card on the refrigerator had the event location, the event phone number, my vehicle and tag number, unit I was camping with,--all the happy hoo-ha to locate me.

In this case, wife to wife to wife did work, and the Civilian Coordinator had a radio that reached from the main Endview site to the Sunday battle site, to locate the participant and quickly send him on his way (Yay Campaigning-no piles of plunder back at Endview)

But let's make this easy. Especially when this body of men has some marching events on the calendar.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I had a blast being honored as the flag bearer for Hampton Legion this past weekend in SCAR company under the leadership of Tyler Underwood. I got in at 2:00am Monday back to North Georgia by way of Knoxville to drop back off Matt Lakin from out of 'retirement' for 1.5 years, Kelly Ford the extraordinary tailor, and Adam D. Musgrove out of his own 'retirement' as well. We had a jolly time in the vehicle across the Shenandoah valley.

Many thanks to Mr. Chris Anders for his leadership and excellent job at herding the cats for this endeavor. From speaking with him and Dick Watters, I can see how hard of a job they did to organize it. Despite the pain, the pride is worth it all. Plus maybe a few young people will be inspired, as most of us were once, to join us in our 'group insanity' for a hobby.

This weekend, you as an individual might not think you were significant as an attendee, but we all are as a group effort, to show our American history in a positive light to our future generations.

Final note: May the Lord see fit to bless the souls of ALL of those really fought on that sacred ground to build the America we know and love today.

All the best to each of you -
      Johnny Lloyd (Jay Lowe)
      Atlanta, GA.
      Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 06-06-2017, 10:42 AM.
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Had a great time at the event. Thanks to Andy Roscoe for organizing the Federal Adjunct. Loved the night march. Thanks to Jonathan, Frank, Mike Phineas and the rest of the boys in the 24th Missouri for putting up with us this weekend. Always a pleasure to fall in with you fellas.

From a participants perspective, it appeared that everything went smoothly. Although I am certain that things were changed to adjust throughout the weekend, we didn't notice. Well done on that front.

Talked to so many friends and comrades during the course of the weekend. Too numerous to count. People I have known for over a decade now. If we had a chance to stop and chat, you know who you are. Many great memories over the years and we added to them again this weekend.

The hospital scenario on Saturday was first rate. It really added an element that we don't get to see often enough. I'm sure it was refreshing for the civilians to have a major role in a scenario. Your efforts did not go unnoticed by the rank-and-file. I looked behind us as the sun went down and saw the silhouettes of women working over the wounded. Best "moment" of the weekend for this humble correspondent.

My only criticism of the event has nothing to do with the organizers. Like many others I talked to at the event, I was surprised that the attrition was as high as it was as the weekend began. The forecast was just about perfect for the weekend. Someone asked me what can be done about large numbers of people signing up for an event and not showing up. Good question.

Lastly, I just want to thank Chris Anders and the rest of the staff for putting this together. Having been an organizer a few times, I appreciated and admired the myriad of logistics put together for this event. Well done and thank you for all of the hard work.
        ERIC TIPTON
        Former AC Owner

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Tipton View Post
          Like many others I talked to at the event, I was surprised that the attrition was as high as it was as the weekend began. The forecast was just about perfect for the weekend. Someone asked me what can be done about large numbers of people signing up for an event and not showing up. Good question.
          Good point... this has been driving me NUTS for the last few seasons. Why pay $20-$30- sometimes $40 and NOT show up? I mean, we all have real life issues that supplant this hobby... I got that, but when you commit to an event, please have the courtesy of telling someone you cannot attend. You never know if your comrades might be counting on you for some role, equipment, or just plain looking forward to seeing you there.

This is a community of hobbyists, not just of individuals. Let's work on fostering cooperation.
          Johnny Lloyd
          John "Johnny" Lloyd
          SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Hats off to the event organizers and Staff, it was another fine event. It was great to see everyone again, even if only for a few minutes here and there. Special thanks to the boys of the 28th NC for allowing us Virginians to flop with you for the weekend. I enjoyed getting a second or two to catch up with the Regulars Saturday evening as we captured them and a few odd Federal friends, but at events like this it is tough to get around and see everyone, especially when wearing the wrong shade of uniform jacket. My only negative take away was not being able to forage for ripe Paw Paws; it looks like there should be a bumper crop this summer.
            Dave Hull

Comment

I absolutely LOVED this event. We made the 20 hour drive all the way from Texas and never having been to an Eastern Theater event much less an event on this scale was truly a privilege. I must admit, my 3x great grandfather took part in the battles that we were doing at this event so it was definitely an interesting experience to say the least. The one and only criticism I have is our regiment got put back in the trees and fought over the porta johns during the Casey's Redoubt scenario with a small group of Confederates. But honestly, it wasn't enough to put a damper on anything as we later made that march to the Lee Plantation and did the next days battles. I don't think I've ever been that exhausted after a march. All in all, glorious event. Totally worth the drive and a real treat.

Regards,
              Blaine Carreon
              24th Missouri
              Blaine Carreon

Comment

Thanks everyone....18 months of effort really paid off, thanks to you....without you guys, it would just be Mike and I in the middle of a field beating each other with tree branches.
                S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Rover View Post
                  Thanks everyone....18 months of effort really paid off, thanks to you....without you guys, it would just be Mike and I in the middle of a field beating each other with tree branches.
                  As funny as that sounds Chris... I would pay to see that.
                  Johnny Lloyd
                  John "Johnny" Lloyd
                  SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Couple notes...always have plan A, B and perhaps C for most situations.

Honestly, when I arrived Wednesday night at the site, it was pouring rain, and there was already puddles 6-8 inches deep near CS camp.

To adapt, we have to split up logistics, move garrison camps (in fact Brian Gesuero mowed the new camp Thursday personally) and could not get the above porta jons and water where we wanted them, thus the problems with them for Casey's Redoubt.

My big lesson, reenactors will park darn near anywhere, regardless of where parking is at and regardless of signs showing them that.

That made me really angry saturday night as we went out for Gaines Mill to notice reenactors, for there were next to no public on site, had parked their cars almost in the middle of Gaines Mill......UGH.

We did our best with 30 minutes to track folks down and get them moved, tow trucks could not get there in time.

That made us advance the Federal line a bit trying to get more room.

But it seems to have worked, still could have been better.

Mike Lavis and I adapted all weekend and it worked....good dance partners are a must.

And another shout out to Endview, who kicked into high gear and actually had folks with portable pumps out Thursday draining roads as best as they could.

Another note, sometimes you have to make a call based upon imperfect intel...like the military....we had to guess what condition the camps would be in come friday when the bulk of troops arrived, for thursday we were placing logistics....thank God we guessed right.

Just some notes to help moving forward

- - - Updated - - -

And Johnny, Mike and I will do that for a registration fee of $200 each
                    S. Chris Anders

Comment

I'm another Texan who drove 25 hours each way to get to OTR. And like others have noted, our outfit took a "canister hit" before the event and only 4 of the 11 of us who'd paid and registered actually made the trip. Go figure. Beats me why that is so common. The result was that our four "comrades in arms" from the San Antonio, Texas region were consolidated into a company led by a fine guy from Kentucky and the other privates were from all over.

I am a big fan of Anders-organized events. The high quality of the 2,000 rank and file reenactors with impressions that reflect a concern for authenticity was noticeable. There were plenty of over-age and overweight guys like me, but there were ample young flatbellied firebrands for us to melt into the background. Even with the rain adjustments and limited space for the battlefields, we were on the go, what with five engagements and one Division-level Parade Ceremony for General Stepp. I applaud the dignified manner in which the parade was conducted.

In 2012 at Maryland, My Maryland, the morning cornfield battle with the hanging smoke made a surreal memory. In 2017, the big deep wide damditch at Casey's Redoubt made a lasting memory. After wondering which of the ten or so Confederate battalions would draw the short straw and be ordered to cross the ditch, it turned out to be our Red River Battalion. The first crossing was an eye-opening experience done with gusto and not much caution--the urge to just get up the other side smothering any worry for one's wellbeing. The retreat back across during the Yank counter-attack was done somewhat more deliberately.

The school bus ride to the Endview Plantation field and the three back-to-back engagements were fun, especially hearing the wags calling out "On the right by file into--bus."

Sutler row was about as good as any I've seen anywhere. Limiting any food or drink vendors to one Boy Scout Troop was a great compromise for a hot weather semi-mainstream event.

Kudos to Mr. Anders and all the staff and Big Bugs who pulled the event together.
                      Phil McBride
                      Author:
                      Whittled Away-A Civil War Novel of the Alamo Rifles
                      Tangled Honor 1862: A Novel of the 5th Texas Infantry
                      Redeeming Honor 1863: The 5th Texas Gettysburg and Chickamauga
                      Defiant Honor 1864: The 5th Texas at the Wilderness and the 22nd USCT at New Market Heights
                      Link to My Blog and My Books on Amazon:
                      Blog: http://mcbridenovels.blogspot.com/http://www.amazon.com/Philip-McBride...ne_cont_book_1

Comment

Ha! Thanks Chris! Might take you up on that...

Please read the below with honest and constructive criticism. No firebombs intended. ;)

My position was Hampton Legion, Company C color sergeant, BTW.

In the "real" Army (egad!), we used the '3 sustain/3 improve' AAR format. We used to on here. We should go back to it for lessons learned. Please note, I will address all from an attendee perspective regarding feedback. I am a bit remiss to do so, as I feel 'if you didn't organize the event, you shouldn't criticize the event'... BUT, how will we get better if we don't police ourselves? Oh well, here goes.

I will address overall event issues, versus battalion and company-level ones, below.

3 Sustain:

1) For OTR, I thought authenticity standards were higher than your average mainstreamer farb fest. Clear for a RRP event there! Keep that attitude and you will go far! I saw some spot-on impressions this past weekend and those spot on impressions attract others to do the same, thereby improving the overall authenticity of the event. Do not yield here. Don't be afraid to say'no' to participants that do not uphold basic minimums. All too often we are. This is a dead path.

2) Camping area for the CS forces was good area. Quite oftentimes planners have to make adjustments or fail to plan well and put campaigners into a mudhole/poison ivy infested/rocky soil etc. areas when this could have been avoided by some prior planning by the event staff. People back then didn't do things dumb either, so why should we. When presented with the chance take care of your men and they will take care of your command.

3) Quality of sutlers present was pretty darn good! There was prior vetting clearly. Many mainstream events like to put ANY sutler that just signs up on sutler row. Most of the time, QUALITY merchandise suffers regarding this. I saw some TOP NOTCH vendors here and this can only enrich the hobby overall, the craftsmen, and the hobbyist to know the proper period correct wares are out there and authenticity CAN be found if you ask the right people. To ask the right people, you FIRST have to know they exist.

3 Improve:

1) Y'all, we have to MINIMIZE the FARB SCENERY in the background as best we can at all events. While in ranks, I heard guys joking about the "Battle of Seven PortaSh!tters", "Siege of Sutler Row" and "Massacre on High Tension Power Line Hill". You know, the LOW POINT of Manassas 150th (other than the heat to which we had no control) was the gigantic power lines in the background of every camera shot and in the direct view of the spectators. All the while, if the site had been reversed and the camping area was used as the battlefield versus what was used, this might have been largely avoided... Wow. Party killer there. We go all the way to look ace-on and modernism is right in the way killing it all for spectator and participant alike. I am aware of what Chris said in his previous post, that the site had issues due to the rain/weather and some of this can't be helped, but IF scenarios might have to be rearranged/cut down/eliminated in order to preserve site authenticity, then so be it. Some of the BEST events I have been to have been on a smaller scale.

2) Communication was rocky... timelines changed a bit too much to the point that one was afraid to leave the camp. Commanders I talked to seemed surprised as to what was happening at times and this relayed down to the lowest levels that stuff was changing without prior notice. I do not know why, but it was a bit unsettling for those of us at company level. Bear in mind: That also makes it hard for people to visit the latrine/cook food/visit sutlers, etc when schedules are subject to quick changes. But hey… welcome to the ‘real’ military. ;)

3) Sundays Scenarios. Honestly, I probably could have done without them, or one early morning Sunday scenario and we all get to get on the road by 1000-1200 hrs. Two charges, while kinda fun, went late into the day and not much variety in either scenario. I began to become disinterested. Again, maybe a solution is to put 2-3 scenarios on Sat and on Sun have one earlier in the day? I dunno…

Attrition of paid members would be a 4th “Improve” but I do not want to add that to the well-balance of the above and attrition of those that pay and sign-up is not only an element of this particular event, but a phenomenon of other events in the post 150th world we live in.

In all, I rate the event 3.5 out of 5 stars compared to other experiences of mine. Good times and good fun! I had a blast and it was worth it all.

Damn fine job to those that organized and attended!
                        Johnny Lloyd
                        John "Johnny" Lloyd
                        SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Good AAR....we are always looking to improve...and yeah, the pootashitters were a rain thing and the power line, well, you get ground where ya can I guess...

But confused over one thing, the time issues....we never changed the schedule one bit from General Orders issued prior to the event....not sure where that issue came from...

But it is the army, kinda, so maybe added realism? :)
                          S. Chris Anders

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Rover View Post
                            Good AAR....we are always looking to improve...and yeah, the pootashitters were a rain thing and the power line, well, you get ground where ya can I guess...

But confused over one thing, the time issues....we never changed the schedule one bit from General Orders issued prior to the event....not sure where that issue came from...

But it is the army, kinda, so maybe added realism? :)
                            About the time: Commanders seemed to be confused as to when SOME step-offs were and this led to general shakiness. Again, I was at Company level, so Battalion/Brigade levels might need to chime in on this.

Yes, a lot of reenactors expect tons of action at mid-stream events, but it IS period for downtime and confusion- same as today. Many working parts and fragmentary orders (FRAGOs- look it up) are in the way here. Murphy's law too! Don't get frustrated... roll with the punches...
                            Johnny Lloyd
                            John "Johnny" Lloyd
                            SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Hello,

Young guy from the rank and file here to throw another stick on the pile.

I thought this was a first rate event! Checked a number of boxes. Had some Picket Post flashbacks Saturday night marching back into camp, with all the little cook fires spread throughout the woods. Met a number of great guys I only see here or on Facebook.

The first authentic even I ever did was Lee Takes Command, another awesome Anders event, and that's what got me down the road towards the more conscientious side of the hobby. He didn't disappoint in 2012 and he didn't disappoint last weekend.

Highlight of the weekend: Mr. Lloyd's gracious compliment of my hat Sunday.
                              James Peli

Comment

Working...
                              X