X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: On To Richmond AAR Thread

Originally posted by The Chesterfield Rifleman View Post
    Hello,

Young guy from the rank and file here to throw another stick on the pile.

I thought this was a first rate event! Checked a number of boxes. Had some Picket Post flashbacks Saturday night marching back into camp, with all the little cook fires spread throughout the woods. Met a number of great guys I only see here or on Facebook.

The first authentic even I ever did was Lee Takes Command, another awesome Anders event, and that's what got me down the road towards the more conscientious side of the hobby. He didn't disappoint in 2012 and he didn't disappoint last weekend.

Highlight of the weekend: Mr. Lloyd's gracious compliment of my hat Sunday.
    James- if you liked what you saw last weekend... step up the game to an immersion event: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1047186655367949/

;)
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Been registered since the day it opened. I put that in my "come hell or high water" event list.
      James Peli

Comment

One thing I'd like to add, and heard from others during the event, is the fighting distances. While I can only speak from the perspective I had, the lines never got very very close, unlike most events. Battle lines seemed to stay over 100 yards away, taking advantage of Endview Plantation's lengthy battlefield. Additionally, the Saturday night rear guard attack was done very well. The Federals always stayed at a good distance infront of us, and seeing the silhouettes and the muzzle flashes seemed spot-on. I get tired of fighting 70 yards away or less (sometimes it seems to be under 40). While I understand troop strength isn't what it was 150+ years ago, I think the efforts of the event organizers and battalion commanders to keep lines at realistic distances went very well. I never had a thought of "being too close". Well done.
        Mike Barnes

Blanket Collector (Hoarder)
        44th VA / 25th OH

Comment

I had a great time, with great guys in the 3rd PA and our Company A were great fellows. Rations were good, and I think the 3rd PA organization was hitting on all cylinders. If I have one "improve" comment, I'd have to echo Johnny on the Sunday scenarios being probably one battle too many. Of course by Sunday morning after the Saturday night march, I was raw in the nether regions and not at the top of the game, but I'd have liked some Sunday morning time to apply "Men's crotch powder" and make some coffee instead of breaking camp and marching off to a fight in a rush. That sort of did me in.
          Frank Siltman
          24th Mo Vol Inf
          Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
          Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
          Company of Military Historians
          Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

I've always meant to attend a Chris Anders event and considered myself fortunate the cards fell into place for this one. Props to my fellow pards in the 24th Missouri for making the trip possible. We had voted on OTR as a max effort back in December, and van-pooled all the way from west of the river. Chris should know some of our guys were in vehicles almost 40 hours (Kenny Pavia) and had no regrets at all. Well done.

It is always a pleasure to see old friends, and special thanks to our pards in Mess #1. Friends are always the best part of this hobby. Dom dal Bello, Will Eichler, Bob Minton, Bernard, the AoP guys, great seeing you. We weren't sure what the eastern numbers would be. Was hoping for a little more participation numbers-wise. A few of us joked how most of our eastern brothers probably even worked Friday and still made the event. But not sure the land could've held much more logistics-wise. The wet weather caused mud and soaked our deadfall, but other than making our cooking fires an adventure Friday night it just added to the atmosphere.

The 3rd PA Reserves adjunct was well led, and the men of our battalion were top rate. We lamented our opposition during the early Saturday battle in the trees, but it wasn't a deal killer. I could hear the men on the firing line begging officers to be allowed to advance and bag the flotsam and jetsam which was 'driving' us, but I digress.

Rations of fresh beef, potatoes, sheet rock and coffee delivered by the commissary were ample and tasty. The men were led with competence by the officers. Hats off to Andy Roscoe, who showed a professional dogged determination and endured all which he asked of the rifles in the line. The night march was not overly difficult, yet any night march is in and of itself an adventure. Several of the teenage kids in the ranks of the 24th MO were initiated to our habit of event marching, yet came through with flying colors. With minimal supervision throughout the weekend, they kept themselves fed, their rifles clean and came through the event unscathed. Though one of our corporals pulled a nice fat tick off his bicep Sunday! Our unit prides itself on recruiting and training young re-enactors, and OTR was a perfect proving ground for several of our fresh fish.

Thanks again to all responsible for allowing us to have a bully time. We were exhausted and sore, but damn glad to have made it. One last thing, the sutlers were first rate. Found SEVERAL items pre-event I'd been searching for!
            Last edited by Strawfoot; 06-14-2017, 04:24 PM.
            Mike Phineas
            Arlington, TX
            24th Missouri Infantry
            Independent Volunteer Battalion
            www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

The 24th Missouri and associate members, in the field at the On To Richmond event. As we were marching back to camp after drill, we spotted Tom George Davidson and asked him to shoot a likeness of our company. Photo courtesy of Tom George Davidson.

OTR 24TH MO.jpg
              Mike Phineas
              Arlington, TX
              24th Missouri Infantry
              Independent Volunteer Battalion
              www.24thmissouri.org

"Oh, go in anywhere Colonel, go in anywhere. You'll find lovely fighting all along the line."

-Philip Kearny

Comment

Working...
              X