Booklet about Picket Post Duties

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Booklet about Picket Post Duties

Well, of course I have a booklet about picket duty. Duh. Actually I have two of them. This is the more recent and is more focused on picket duties and theory than the older booklet.

Here is the Link to the File : DOWNLOAD THE FILE HERE

There isn't enough time at an event to teach picket duties and theory. Folks need to arrive at the event with a common understanding from a common source. This is really important in picket duties because period authors tended to use different terms to describe the same concepts. If you haven't seen the booklet before, you need to read it. If you haven't reviewed it in a while or have a general understanding from prior events, this is your opportunity to refresh recollection.

The booklet was originally made for the 2016 Picket Post. There is some discussion about the booklet in this thread : https://www.authentic-campaigner.com...or-Picket-Post As noted in the link :

A real problem with the original texts is that every author seemed to like his system better than other systems. Generally, they are all very similar. Frequently, they use different names to describe the same duties. Another confusion is using the same names for different duties. What I did was use the most common set of terms then changed the original text to reflect the common use.

For example, the most commonly used terms for the outmost lines are sentinels, outposts and reserve. Sometimes the outmost line was called pickets. The next line supports. The next line grand guards and behind them could be a body called pickets. Going from one source to another gets very confusing.

I kept sentinels, outposts and reserve which are the terms we will use for Picket Post.
    I prefer original text from original sources so this book has text cut and pasted from Craighill, Butterfield, Gilham, Kautz, Mahan and a few others. The author and paragraph number for the text in my booklet is noted in every paragraph. I did this because concepts aren't always clear. By citing source, the reader can quickly find the same paragraph in the original source and read paragraphs above and below the original text I used.

Download the file or follow the link. Kewl stuff awaits.
    Last edited by Silas; 06-24-2019, 07:58 PM.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Re: Booklet about Picket Post Duties

Here's a look at the index :

INTRODUCTION Page 1

PART I: GENERAL INFORMATION 3
    A. Duties of Sentinels 5
    B. Duties of the Outposts 11
    C. Duties of the Reserve 14
    D. Duties of Officers 15

PART II: POSTING AND POSITIONS 18

PART III: PATROLS 22

PART IV : FORMATIONS 26
    A. Guard Mount 26
    B. Challenges and Grand Rounds 30

PART V : ORGANIZATION OF INFANTRY 33
    A. Posts of Company Officers and NCO’s 34
    B. Manner of Forming the Company 35

PART VI : MANUAL OF ARMS 39
    A. Support Arms 39
    B. Present Arms 40
    C. Arms Port 41
    D. Parade Rest 42

PART VII : MANUAL OF THE SWORD FOR OFFICERS 42
    The Carry 42
    The Present 43
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
    X