X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Non battle reenactment

Ben,

I agree with most of the others who have posted before. At this point in the game, starting your own event may be a little over your head. However, if you have a good idea and want to pressure, best of luck to you. No one is stopping you.

Might I suggest, instead of creating your own event and having to deal with issues that may include insurance, property rights, ect, that you may try becoming a event contact/ coordinator for an event your unit will be attending. So instead of dealing with more complicating issues, you can ease into the process by getting people from your unit interested in an event, find out information your attendees need, organize rides, registering people, finding a company or battalion to fall in with ect. While this doesn’t sound like much work depending on the event it can be. This role is important if your unit is going to look respectable and know what is going on at an event. I have done this for my unit at events like McDowell and other more local ones and have learned a great deal about what it takes to put on an event with only a small slice of the work and frustration it must take to put on the whole event.

Another thought would be is find an event you feel passionate about, and see if the coordinators need help. Often sites need prep such as building fences, walls, ect. or brush removal and other things along this sort, and I would imagine another helping hand is welcome. This way too you get a hands on education on some of the prep involved.

Best of luck,
    Dane Utter
    Washington Guard

Comment

Deleted:

Personal attacks will not be tolerated here - Mike Chapman
      1. Be Nice - We don't expect this place to be Woodstock, but make an effort to show respect and courtesy to every poster.
      Last edited by dusty27; 02-03-2004, 04:01 PM.
      Patrick Landrum
      Independent Rifles

Comment

Dusty,
        It wasn't a personal attack just personal disbelief that someone living in that region would make a statement like that. It's sad, really really sad. Coming off hosting my first event I can honestly say it's something that I would rethink before I signed up for it again. All involved appear to have had a good time, some are even known as hard people to please, but I think that if you don't have all of your ducks in a row that any event (EBUFU or Fest) can hit cluster status in the blink of an eye. I have spent the majority of my life in this hobby, and attended some damn good events for a few years before I even thought about hosting one, and even then made damn sure some good people had my back and I had a good team working with me.

Now if you take "Oh my God" as a personal attack when someone shows the same ignorance as people who rip down battlefields, EVEN AFTER ANOTHER MEMBER SAID THE SAME THING, then you may need to re think your statement.
        Originally posted by coastaltrash
        Deleted:

Personal attacks will not be tolerated here - Mike Chapman
        1. Be Nice - We don't expect this place to be Woodstock, but make an effort to show respect and courtesy to every poster.
        Patrick Landrum
        Independent Rifles

Comment

Indirectly, I know Ben. All I can say, Ben, is temper your idealism with some reality, and listen to Colonel Ard. He will lead you.
          Tom Yearby
          Texas Ground Hornets

"I'd rather shoot a man than a snake." Robert Stumbling Bear

Comment

Originally posted by Mofedshirker
            Oh my god.
            I have to back Patrick on this one. If you delete one post, let's delete 'em both.
            When I was 16, I didn't know much (at all) about the Trans. Mississippi theatre either. Ben, read read read; until you think you can't stand it anymore. Then shift your focus and start reading again. If you can eventually put on an authentic event in northern LA., then we'll all benefit from that addition to what we've got. Good luck.
            Regards,
            Stephen Mitchell
            [I]The Upstart Mess[/I]

Comment

Ben,

I'm going to have to agree with these other gentlemen in saying that at 16 you're going to run into a mess of problems. I'm 22 and have been working on an event committee since i was 16, but single handedly its impossible to organize and run an event by ones lonesome. I don't care if your 16, 34, or 50...any event having more than 20 participants is a handful for one man. The committee of 7 I'm on now, has its hands full preparing for our event each year. I don't mean to discourage you in any way, but what i am saying is get a group together, containing at least someone over 21 (to handle insurance, etc.) Plan, plan, then do some more planning, Make sure you're covered on all angles of the law and health, then from there the sky is the limit. Best of luck to you and don't let that enthusiasm drop...

Respectfully,
              Ryan McIntyre
              124th New York State Volunteers
              Founder of the Squatting Bullfrog Mess & the "Leave your politics at home" Mess

"the Doctor says that I have got the Knapsack complaint that is I cant carry a knapsack that is a disease of my own getting up for I can lift as much as eney[sic] of the boys"
              Joseph H. Johnston
              March 16th 1863
              Camp Convalescent

"It takes twelve men and a corporal up there [brigade headquarters] to take care of a few trees and salute the officers as they pass these are all the orders we have, but it is military I suppose..."
              Henry M Howell
              March 8 1863
              In camp Near Falmouth

Comment

I agree, i am sorry if i came off a little with a temper i apologize i did not mean for it too. Also not sure who posted it but i have almost two hours of free computor time at school. for all yall who posted thanks i do appreciate it. That there lets me know that the whole idea needs to take time. I am trying in all my spare time to do the research i dont plan on this taking place anytime soon it was just someting i wanted out for anyone who had any advice. I am listening to everything dont worry guys. Yes i figure this will take about two years or so and i did not want to make anyone mad at all. I have to do nothing but thank because i realize all you guys are just trying to help, and so i say again thanks and i am sorry. I am gona do alot alolot alot alot more research and reading. Tom i will i am talking to ed he is a great guy and i think he will do nothing but lead me the right way. all you guys are, i realize you guys are pros at this so i am sorry and i have learned that critisism is not always that but most of the time help. thanks

ben jenkins
                19th la infantry

Comment

Ben,

I don't think anyone has meant to be hostile towards you...It's just that the folks who have posted have a wealth of experience in this area, and want you to be aware of what you're getting into.

Seriously, please do some research on the War in Louisiana. I believe you'll discover that activity to be a treat. Compared to VA, TN, GA, etc., the action was comparatively small in scale...But it is still quite fascinating. I think that if you do some reading you'll discover that there were some very significant actions to occur in your own backyard. As an example, the following link is to a superb essay about the history of the 28th LA Inf., which spent most of its existence within the confines of its home state: http://members.tripod.com/~pipeslines/Jones28th.html . As you'll discover from reading this piece, their experience consisted of more hard marching and alternately freezing and broiling in the bayous than slugging it out with the Federals...But when they did come to grips, as they did on several occasions, the combat was frequently ferocious. At Mansfield their brigade suffered approximately 35% casualties. The story of the 28th is only a small sample of the great history of those troops who fought in Louisiana (particularly the northern part) during the War.

You obviously have great enthusiasm, and I suspect you are on your way to becoming a leader in our hobby. My advice is to just be careful not to get ahead of yourself.

If you make it to Mansfield in April, whether as a participant or spectator, please look me up. I'll be with Co. B, 15th Texas Infantry. I would be pleased to make your acquaintance in person.

Respectfully,
                  Chad Teasley
                  CHAPs
                  Chad Teasley

"Mississippians don't know, and refuse to learn, how to surrender to an enemy."
                  Lt Col James Autry, CSA, May 1862

Comment

If you make it to Mansfield in April, whether as a participant or spectator, please look me up. I'll be with Co. B, 15th Texas Infantry. I would be pleased to make your acquaintance in person.

Chad ,

I will be at mansfield i will be with the 19th La i will Also be on the 15 mile march. I do aprecatiate all that is said by everyone. I will make sure to meet up and talk with the 15th yall from what i have read and seen are a great bunch. See ya there.

Comment

Deleted:

Guys, what is this? Keep the snide remarks out of the discussion. They add nothing to the thread and they break the rules of the forum.
                      Last edited by dusty27; 02-05-2004, 09:04 PM.
                      Colbi Rosenthal
                      Hogg Drivers

Just a sinner trying to change

Rosenthal/Ross 2018

Comment

Ben,

I just skimmed this thread at someone's suggestion. I didn't notice and maybe someone has already mentioned it, but you are too young to execute the necessary legal paperwork to put together an event. You need an adult.

Moderators, as much enthusiasm as this young man may have and as much as we may wish to encourage the next generation of hardcores, isn't there some level of responsibility that should dictate the closing, or even deletion, of this thread rather than risk misleading this young man that he should pursue his project? edited for content

Joe Smotherman
                        Last edited by dusty27; 02-03-2004, 09:18 PM.
                        Joe Smotherman

Comment

I had not paid any attention to this thread until I saw it being mentioned in humor on another forum this evening.

I have to agree with Joe, this thread is not doing the forum nor this fellow any service by being allowed to continue.
                          Jim Kindred

Comment

Pogue,

This started out as a serious thread. He learned some stuff, and posting this on the forum has probably made him think twice if not three or four times about putting on an event at this stage in the game. Others who wonder on to this board may have the same questions as he did. It once served a purpose but this banter doesn’t now.

You said on the other forum speaking of the AC:
                            “I pretty much quit posting over there because I don't feel I can speak my mind.”

If a serious question and a serious answer in a thread are deleted, which your calling for, then I’d say that is exactly why you almost stopped posting here. Maybe Ben might do the same then.

Now lock the thread? Ok. I think that would be appropriate.
                            Dane Utter
                            Washington Guard

Comment

For our concerned viewers, there is a "report a post" function with the forum. It is the "!" on the right hand side of the post box. This is to be used for reporting questionable posts that don't fit forum rules.

Thank you in advance for assisting us. Thread is closed.

Move on, nothing else to see here.........
                              Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Thanks for closing the thread Dusty. Ben, give it a couple years... and start with an event scenario that works rather then something you have to force.
                                Paul Calloway
                                Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                                Proud Member of the GHTI
                                Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                                Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Working...
                                X