This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Watchdog thread

The thread has been moved offline and is being discussed by the moderators to determine whether the announcement of interest conforms to forum vendor rules. Said rules are linked below my signature.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Re: The Watchdog thread

The Watchdog Review (Civil War Quarterly) ceased to exist as a magazine publication in 2007. This is not an A-C Forum approved vendor issue, no more than if I am selling an Enfield defarbed by somebody not on your approved vendor list. Would it be different if it were any other magazine or set of books, like E of G? I will leave that non-sensical question to the philosophers.

That WD thread sure went to h*** in a handbasket fast. It is off point but I respond thusly:

"Getting it Right" has very little to do with what events you attend. The Watchdog published well researched articles about the material culture of the 1860s, and very little about any certain events over another whether EBUFU, mainstream, progressive or otherwise. It was not an event or news driven publication. As for me personally, at my current age I do whatever events I enjoy which are mostly artillery and historic weapons demos out at the STRI National Battlefield Park, living history and very few other events mainstream or not. If you think that affects the accuracy in content of the books, pamphlets and articles I provided The Watchdog in years past, then there are fifty by other subject matter experts to every one written by me. Benjamin Franklin said it best, "Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing about...." or (let me add) just shut up.

Mods: Shut the closed WD thread down if you like. My original question was if there is any interest in (re)enactors here having a set of the back issues, and there is...My mailbox is filling up. I found out what I needed to know and can proceed to provide the remaining back issues to those interested.
    Last edited by Craig L Barry; 01-24-2010, 11:15 PM.
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Re: The Watchdog thread

Craig,

You miss the point entirely. Offline discussion about the thread has had nothing to do with the product. The problem is the manner in which it was potentially being sold. We regularly shut down threads where someone comes here and says he/she is thinking about making and selling a particular widget if there is sufficient interest. Based upon response, the maker/seller decides to proceed or not.

The quality of the item sought to be sold isn't the issue. It is the, "hey, would anyone be interested if I ..." nature of the thread.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
      X