This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cleburne the Movie

I believe the saving grace of using the "graphic novel" approach is that audiences not educated about the subject are more easily able to realize the story is heavily dramatized and not necessarily supposed to be factual in nature. For instance, when "300" came out in theaters, the audience appreciated the cartoonish effect/costumes as entertainment rather than a history lesson. Most people I talked to about that movie knew that was NOT what Ancient Greece/Persia was like in real life.

Realism in moves, I feel, seems to fool the audience into thinking that a historically-based storyline is factual history.

Conversely on that point, just by making a film of this nature about a still-highly controversial period in American history, we as living historians will have to answer the general public's casual questions that result from this movie (whether we like it or not) just because of the movie release.

I mean, how many people to this day still think Mel Gibson actually looked like the real William Wallace? Insert random insanity of the sort here...:confused_

Mr. Dabney- ready-up your RDII and shine your musket because of this movie... "thar be educatin' to do"! :D:p
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Wow, just checked out the website - looks pretty rough.
      "I couldn't believe that no one written a story about this man?" was worth a chuckle and eye roll.
      Also, in the "history" section the photo of the 1st LA Native Guards is of the Federal unit, not the Confederate.
      Philip Seymore Hoffman has agreed to do this, huh?
      Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
      [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Hey Jonny, great point of reason. Turning a lemon into lemonaide.

A. Brent Conner
        Eastern Shore of Maryland
        Brent Conner

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by PlainOlSmitty
          Yes but it wasnt our great great grand fathers following William wallce or gettin shot down by persian archers. I get real peeved when people misconsture the facts when it comes to history. I dont care if its to be PC or entertaining or to push some personal agenda. ITS HISTORY. It happened a certain way, AND it affected the lives REAL people just likes us. i find it VERY instulting to those people to change facts about events to sale more tickets!!!

Hunter SMith.
          It's all about the money- no thought to understanding our American heritage.

If only Hollyweird would actually tell the stories of history as the really happened... there would be thousands of REAL stories told in movies that the general public could genuinely comprehend and treasure.

Waiting for that is like waiting for pigs to fly...

History is cheap to those that don't understand it.

All the best- Johnny Lloyd:wink_smil
          Johnny Lloyd
          John "Johnny" Lloyd
          Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
          SCAR
          Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
          Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
          Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
          Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Nothing more to see here folks. Let's move along and discuss some history.
            Michael Comer
            one of the moderator guys

Comment

Working...
            X