Darting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Darting?

I have not posted in some time, however, this has been on my mind. I am well aware what "darting" is and the various ways it is done on garments of the time. My question is how many examples of original enlisted CS and US garments are out there? Of which does anyone have pictures or information? I can think of the M. Page Lapham shell off the top of my head, with the slight darts. It struck me that perhaps this is something that happened more often then we think. Considering the fact that in images, even in the field, many jackets seem well fitting. Also, the concept of a company tailor is prevalent in many period accounts. Any information would be appreciated.

Thank you,
    Patrick Abbey

Liberty Rifles
    SC Society

Re: Darting?

Look at the neckline on the frocks in Confederate EoG. You'll see many with a pair of darts running diagonally outwards from the neck and going down a few inches. I hadn't noticed these darts until I was making my first frock coat and was dissatisfied with the neck line produced by my pattern drafted from an original jacket. In review of the photos, the light bulb turned on. Since then, I have noticed in viewing many original coats that darts are often found in the neckline.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Re: Darting?

Darts are highly common among tailored garments, such as officers' coats (frocks &c.). You can also see darts at the waistline of both frocks and vests. They basically serve to make the two-dimensional fabric fold, form, and fit better on our human three-dimensional frames.
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
      X